Nukatap, flow control or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spittiz

Reaction score
I'm planning my first keezer build and looking over the equipment needed. I was thinking of going with Nukataps since they're somewhat affordable and seem to get a lot of praise. I don't know if I should choose the flow control version or standard though, is it actually useful or is it just better to balance the beer line correctly and not mess with the flow at the tap? There's about 10€ price difference per tap.

I went from regular to flow control taps, not nuka but not sure that makes a difference. Something to consider is that with the flow control taps you do not have the option to make it spring back into the off position. I have a 4 tap keezer with a 4 regulator setup so I can set each keg where I want it. Flow control to me is great when I am force carbing and want to check progress without the beer coming out at full blast. Now after having them for a while it turns out I actually prefer them to not spring back into place as it gives you a free hand while your waiting for the glass or growler to fill.

I switched from Intertap Flow Control faucets to Nukatap as I found I never really needed the flow control part of it. Go with Duotight fittings and 4mm ID EvaBarrier line and it's very easy to balance your lines (I use 5 feet).

There is an option for force-closing springs with the Nukatap Flow Control.

They don't advertise if very much, but Keglan also makes a flow control ball lock connector. This puts the flow control at the keg instead of the tap and from what I've seen it works much better there. Unfortunately they're always out of stock here in the states, but if you can find them in stock, pair them with Nuka Taps and you're golden. That's my plan at least, haha! Not sure if I'm allowed to post links, but here is what I'm referring to.

They don't advertise if very much, but Keglan also makes a flow control ball lock connector. This puts the flow control at the keg instead of the tap and from what I've seen it works much better there. Unfortunately they're always out of stock here in the states, but if you can find them in stock, pair them with Nuka Taps and you're golden. That's my plan at least, haha! Not sure if I'm allowed to post links, but here is what I'm referring to.

I bought two of the flow control QD's and didn't really like them. They didn't seem to do much in controlling the flow, and getting them dialed in was a pain. I've used flow control Perlicks for at least 5 or 6 years and liked them, but I started having some issues with incomplete shut-offs and slow dripping over time. If I was gone for a week or more I'd return to a beery mess with fruit flies buzzing the taps. I rebuilt the taps (all six of them) and restored them to factory-new performance.

However, in the process of rebuilding them one at a time, I picked up a Nukatap non-FC as a temporary fill-in. I absolutely love the 'Nuke. It does everything the advertising hype claims. When it came time to upgrade the Jockey box tap I replaced it with a Nukatap and it works great. Don't need the adjustable Perlicks. What remains to be seen is how well they hold up over time. So far, great flow and no excess foam, even at the beach.

AND: I really like having the return springs on the faucet to prevent accidental emptying of the keg, which as @bailey mountain brewer pointed out, is not available with flow control faucets. It's like one of those things you never really thought you'd need or like to have. Until you have it and now don't want to NOT have it. But if you're set on FC faucets, Intertap was supposedly coming out with a flow control Nukatap. I haven't heard anything about it in a while, so it's unclear if the delay is due to supply chain shortages or whether there's some ongoing copyright issues rumored to be plaguing several tap producers who are suing and countersuing each other.

I bought two of the flow control QD's and didn't really like them. They didn't seem to do much in controlling the flow, and getting them dialed in was a pain. I've used flow control Perlicks for at least 5 or 6 years and liked them, but I started having some issues with incomplete shut-offs and slow dripping over time. If I was gone for a week or more I'd return to a beery mess with fruit flies buzzing the taps. I rebuilt the taps (all six of them) and restored them to factory-new performance.

However, in the process of rebuilding them one at a time, I picked up a Nukatap non-FC as a temporary fill-in. I absolutely love the 'Nuke. It does everything the advertising hype claims. When it came time to upgrade the Jockey box tap I replaced it with a Nukatap and it works great. Don't need the adjustable Perlicks. What remains to be seen is how well they hold up over time. So far, great flow and no excess foam, even at the beach.

AND: I really like having the return springs on the faucet to prevent accidental emptying of the keg, which as @bailey mountain brewer pointed out, is not available with flow control faucets. It's like one of those things you never really thought you'd need or like to have. Until you have it and now don't want to NOT have it. But if you're set on FC faucets, Intertap was supposedly coming out with a flow control Nukatap. I haven't heard anything about it in a while, so it's unclear if the delay is due to supply chain shortages or whether there's some ongoing copyright issues rumored to be plaguing several tap producers who are suing and countersuing act other.
Very good to know. Thank you for the heads up. May only buy one when it comes in stock to test it out. I already have the Nuka taps (and totally agree with you, they're absolutely amazing), so maybe my experience will be different and either way, I'll report back and give everyone another datapoint to make decisions with.

AND: I really like having the return springs on the faucet to prevent accidental emptying of the keg, which as @bailey mountain brewer pointed out, is not available with flow control faucets. It's like one of those things you never really thought you'd need or like to have. Until you have it and now don't want to NOT have it. But if you're set on FC faucets, Intertap was supposedly coming out with a flow control Nukatap. I haven't heard anything about it in a while, so it's unclear if the delay is due to supply chain shortages or whether there's some ongoing copyright issues rumored to be plaguing several tap producers who are suing and countersuing each other.

See the video I posted above around the 5:25 mark. You can have self-closing springs with the Nukatap Flow Control faucet.

That would be the best option in my opinion, I love the flow control but I'd like to have the spring... damnit now I gotta consider buying 4 of those and trying to sell my other ones... hmmm or maybe just build another keezer for the basement. That's where my home brewery is anyhow. Oh, the wheels are turning.

That would be the best option in my opinion, I love the flow control but I'd like to have the spring... damnit now I gotta consider buying 4 of those and trying to sell my other ones... hmmm or maybe just build another keezer for the basement. That's where my home brewery is anyhow. Oh, the wheels are turning.
I LIKE the way you think. :bravo:

Thanks for all the answers! I went with the FC version, a bit more expensive but I figured what the heck, there seems to be no other downside since you can even fit a spring in these things if you want. Now I just need to find that 4mm Eva barrier line somewhere that ships to me, seems to be sold out everywhere.

Back