Now What???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

givemaboot

Reaction score
I was going to brew this morning, but I have to wait until this evening(i hope).
My yeast starter is on the stir-plate now. Can I leave it at room temps for about 6-7 hours, or should i store it in the fridge? Will this harm the yeasts' viability? :confused:The starter(wlp001) has been on the stir plate for about 48n hours.Thanks

How large is the starter? Basically, you have two options:

1.) If the starter is small, you can just keep it going on the stirplate and add the whole thing to the beer.

2.) If the starter is large (relatively speaking - maybe 1 liter or above), you'll want to take it off the stirplate and chill it for a few hours to settle most of the yeast out so that you can decant most of the liquid. Then warm it back up and pitch just the yeast slurry into your wort. The yeast won't like being rapidly chilled and then warmed back up, but it's better than adding too much of the starter beer into your wort.

Back