Nottingham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoundersBrew

Reaction score
I'm going to use nottingham on my next batch, I have never used this dry yeast before. Do you guys rehydrate, or just pitch in dry? I'm going to do Ed Worts APA if this make a difference.

I've only used dry yeast a couple of times, but following the rehydration instructions has worked well for me. I think Basic Brewing actually has an episode of their podcast on the subject, if you want to kill the better part of an hour listening to it.

I believe Ed the Grandmaster Wizard of Hops and Malt just sprinkles it in - works for him, then who am I to argue with it! (I've not got enough experience with dry yeast to have an opinion thus far...)

When using dry yeast I use Nottingham quite often. I do it dry. I do it rehydrated. The only difference I have noticed is a slightly longer lag time for the fermentation to really kick off and even that I cannot confirm (I don't hang out with a stop watch waiting for the fermentation to blast off).

Both work fine in my experience.

Notty is my old standby. Works great and is cheap. I used to hydrate, but just started sprinkling it in instead. Doesn't make much difference as far as I can tell. I wouldn't bother hydrating... Even dry I've had it kick off like a donkey.

I used Nottin's all the time and ust sprinkle it on the wort and close her up! Never had a problem.

I used it for the first time on my last batch.... Rehydrated it and it took off within 12 hours!

An advantage to hydrating is that you can smell the hydrated yeast and tell if it is okay. I have gotten bad Notty in the past. After I hydrated it, it just didn't smell right, but I pitched it anyway and was not surprised when it didn't work.

I use it dry. It is my favorite yeast. Clean, fast, high flocculation. What's not to love.

Can you use it by just sprinkling and have no problems? Yes, and I've done it before (as have many others that have replied to this thread). Do you get more viable yeast if you rehydrate with warm (85-90 degree F) water for 15 minutes before pitching...yes you do. Sure, it adds another step, but I just rehydrate the yeast while I'm chilling the wort. Then I hit it with the oxygen and dump it in. I've never had any problems either way, but if I can possibly give my beer a bit of an extra chance to be better by adding a small step, I just do it? That doesn't mean you can't make great beer by just sprinkling it on. It really just boils down to personal preference and what works best for you.

I use mostly dry yeast. S-05 is my go to. I just sprinkle it in. It's bubbling within 6 hours. Rehydrating for me is just an extra chance to contaminate things. Maybe I am just paranoid but I'll keep doing it my way until I find a reason to change. Next project is WL and starters anyway.

Notty.. him and I have a love hate relationship. I used him on my Bell's Two hearted clone (1.070, two packets), and it tasted almost like a Scottish/English ale (malt profile), then I used it on a golden ale (1.060, 1 packet) and it was much less noticeable and tolerable, very enjoyable. All recipes used the standard 2 row, and all were fermented at 62, all were sprinkled in dry and all were mashed at 152.

I'm having a hard time getting stable flavor from Notty.

I need to do a side by side of Notty and and 05. My last golden I used notty and 1272, the 1272 gave better hop flavor, but the notty gave an ideal malt flavor (after more aging). So much to learn....

Sorry, I'm completely off track.

I use the dried yeast all the time, both rehydrated and not. If its a big beer, e.g. O.G. > 1.070, I will rehydrate and pitch two packs. Otherwise, I will just pitch it dry, and usually two packs, since it is cheap enough. This gets things up and running right away.

I use nottingham often as its the only one that i can buy locally in my town. usually just sprinkle pack in and shake well.

Rehydrate and pitch Mr malty amount and it'll get going real quick, like 6 hours or less in my experience.

Under pitch and it's a notorious lagger. I rehydrate sometimes and hour or two before pitching, works great.

Back