Nottingham Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sent none in, but complained in an email...just got 5 back

Doing EdWort's HPA this weekend, so I will take a walk on the wild side, and try 15G of "fresh" Notty

Sent none in, but complained in an email...just got 5 back

Doing EdWort's HPA this weekend, so I will take a walk on the wild side, and try 15G of "fresh" Notty
Maybe I should try that. I had at least two bad batches with the bad lot#, but I tossed the package. Wonder what my odds are...

Got 10 packets for my 5 sent in. Still stamping their packets and some look deep still. All mine are 1087117102 Exp 6-2011. Anyone got good results from this batch?

Got 10 packets for my 5 sent in. Still stamping their packets and some look deep still. All mine are 1087117102 Exp 6-2011. Anyone got good results from this batch?

I'll know soon enough just finished brewing my Scottish Export 80/- using this yeast about 1-2 hours ago.

i brewed my english IPA using a new batch a few weeks ago. Other than having what looked like dried yeast (well, what the dry yeast looks like) floating on top of the beer after fermentation, it seemed to work just fine. Though I never really payed enough attention for comparison before now.

I recorded my troubles with Notty here (or in a very simlar thread). I just bottled that IPA and it was cloudy, and had a bit of green apple in the background. The apple will probably clear, but this was a real disappointment. It was the first time in many years I used dry yeast.

From the Closing the Loop dept:

IPA turned out perfect. The Notty that I used took 4 days to start to ferment (actually, I added a second packet at day 3). At bottling time the stuff smelled gross. But I drank 2 tonight and it's good.

Still, I am done with Nottingham.

I bottled a batch of Nut brown ale last week that had fermented with Notty that went from 1.05 to 1.013 in 2 weeks and I've had TERRIBLE problems with other yeasts (including one that was Wyeast 1098 and I did a starter and pitched 2 thick cups of slurry) sticking at 1.02. Can't say I'm through with Notty just yet.

The first packet of Notty I ever bought was from the recall lot. I got two packets back and pitched 1.5 packets into a 1.068 Porter and it went off like gangbusters at 63-64 F. I was surprised at how much/long it blewoff at that temp. I don't know the FG or the taste yet but just based on observation this yeast was very healthy.

1 pkg Nottingham hydrated in sanitary water then to a starter .75 gal. Pitched in 1.054 5 gal 64F wort. 48 Hr lag before visible fermentation. Finished at 1.013. Tastes good .some bubble gum / bananna. Took the slurry from this batch let it settle in the fridge for about 2 hrs - visible separation of yeast and trube. Re-pitched proper volume of yeast into 10 gal of 1.064 wort @64F. It's been about 12 hrs now and again, no visible signs of ferment. I still have some slurry if Danstar wants to pay me to send it to them.

Just got a surprise delivery from Lallemand, some new Nottingham yeast packets. Lot#1080521059V Exp:09/2011. Brand new stamping method that doesn't indent the package at all. And a personal note from Marie Coppet. Looks like I have my "go to" yeast back!

Just got a surprise delivery from Lallemand, some new Nottingham yeast packets. Lot#1080521059V Exp:09/2011. Brand new stamping method that doesn't indent the package at all. And a personal note from Marie Coppet. Looks like I have my "go to" yeast back!

What's the note say?

Last night I re-hydrated and pitched one of the Nottingham replacements they sent. # 1087117102 (exp. 6/11).

Yeast worked fine. I had one+ inch of krausen within 8 hours (probably less than that but i was sleeping).

update: OG was 1.052. fermentation was at about 62 -65 degrees. Finished at ~77% attenuation.

Last night I re-hydrated and pitched one of the Nottingham replacements they sent. # 1087117102 (exp. 6/11).

Yeast worked fine. I had one+ inch of krausen within 8 hours (probably less than that but i was sleeping).

I did a IIPA last night with an OG of 1.092. Pitched 1 pkg. of hydrated Notty and just like old times.....It was popping good after 8 hrs.Blow off looks like there is a boat motor in it. 2+ inches of Krausen. I sure am glad this problem is remedied.
Cheers :mug:

nottingham is certainly back to normal. Great yeast when fermented at low temps...ferments like crazy, attenuates down and drops out. If you want a malt or hop forward brew with the yeast adding no additional flavors..this is the stuff. Great yeast for IPA, Nut Brown, Scotch Heavy....heck...it's good for lots of brew. I think I could survive on US-05 and Nottingham.......S-04 is nice too..

Did my first batch with Notty on Monday, an Irish Red. The packet was post recall.

I was going to pseudo-lager it but I chickened out. Pitched it at 63F, slowly warmed up to 65F, got activity in 18hrs, as of right now it's ripping away. Not the crazy explosive blow-off worthy ferment people describe, but I know I pitched it cool. I'm psyched about this brew, it looked like I was boiling blood, awesome color!

Pitched 1.074 scotch ale wort onto nottingham cake and fermented 60-63 degrees. After 4 days it is at 1.019..........good stuff. I hope it doesn't go too much lower. I mashed at 156 and the krausen has fell so I think I am in good shape...7% ABV already though....strong scotch ale for sure.

Pitched Nottingham yeast lot#1087117102 (06-2011) last night, no signs of activity after almost 20 hrs. I have used Nottingham many times in the past. Always had activity within 12hrs.

I also used Nottingham yeast lot#1087117102 (06-2011) and it worked fine. The ferment started a little slower than some of my other batches but the temp was in the low to mid 60s.

Used one of the Notty packets I got in the mail for a copper ale clone (og 1057)

active fermentation w/in 8 hours...

1 down, 4 packets to go.

Update: Fermentation started after 48 hrs at 62*. I guess it was slow starting due to temp, in the past I would pitch Nottingham around 70 or 72.

Pitched Nottingham yeast lot#1087117102 (06-2011) last night, no signs of activity after almost 20 hrs. I have used Nottingham many times in the past. Always had activity within 12hrs.

i just used this batch also and it took approx 48hours to start

i just used this batch also and it took approx 48hours to start

I just pitched that batch about 15 hours ago with no signs of activity. I still have the sachet and I looked this morning and can clearly see a a flashlight shine through parts of the impression from the printer. I'm getting ready to rehydrate and pitch some muntons since it's all I've got... and it's not even muntons gold.

I just pitched that batch about 15 hours ago with no signs of activity. I still have the sachet and I looked this morning and can clearly see a a flashlight shine through parts of the impression from the printer. I'm getting ready to rehydrate and pitch some muntons since it's all I've got... and it's not even muntons gold.

I am new, so take this with a grain of salt, but 15 hours doesn't seem like enough time. Give it a couple days and see what happens.

I am new, so take this with a grain of salt, but 15 hours doesn't seem like enough time. Give it a couple days and see what happens.

I'm not concerned so much with the 15 hours as I am with the holes in the sachet which is the reason they recalled the other batch.

DOH!! i never got this memo!

i brewed a scotch ale 1.082 12/28 and pitched 2 nottingham yeast packets that were both exp 1/11. after 4 days there was no activity so i pitched another packet exp 1/11. the beer is just today starting to show the beginning stage of krausen and co2 activity after 5 days so i decided to troll around for some answers. looks like i'll have to review the 36 pages of info to see what my end product will be like.

My Notty packet had the same Lot # & Exp Date. It started up within 12 hours, and ripped away very aggressively (blew off ~3/4 gallon). OG=1.060, FG = 1.009. Rehydrated per the packet instructions, pitched, and fermented at 67 deg. I'm considering a rinse and re-pitch into a Black Butte Porter clone that I'm thinking of brewing next weekend.

My packets were heavily impressed with the date stamp too.

I just brewed an Irish Red with it, although not as attenuated as I wanted 1.057 to 1.015, it seems ok so I guess I got lucky.

Seriously Danstar, WTF is wrong with you? Why the hell didn't they ditch that printer after the recall and find another way to do it?:confused:

-snip-
Seriously Danstar, WTF is wrong with you? Why the hell didn't they ditch that printer after the recall and find another way to do it?:confused:

They have, the new packets are ink printed, not stamped. Pitched later afternoon and had the usual activity the next morning. Looks like the problem is solved.

They have, the new packets are ink printed, not stamped. Pitched later afternoon and had the usual activity the next morning. Looks like the problem is solved.

Huh.

I definitely have post-recall packets and they're stamped. When did they start printing?

Lot#1080521059V Exp:09/2011

There were issues beyond the lot they admit problems to, I had a different lot with the exact same indents and problems. I sent them all back and I got some replacements in the mail. Then I got a surprise delivery of more packets with a letter inside saying they changed the process.

Wow, I wish I read this thread yesterday, or even 2 hours ago.

Pitched a 8-10 packet last night, nothing. Then re-pitched a 6-11 packet an hour ago. Dry yeast should show activity in an hour. Both packets were stamped.

If these retarded apes cost me the time and work and hops I put into this IPA, I'll be furious. The whole reason I use dry yeast is I don't want lag! :mad:

The whole reason I use dry yeast is I don't want lag! :mad:

Now that's an interesting statement. I would think using a dry yeast
would guarantee at least some lag. When I was using it, 18-36 hour
lags were common. No problems with starters made from liquid yeast.
Jim

Latest posts

Back