nottingham vs us-56

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hercules Rockefeller

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a preference between nottingham and Safale US-56 dry yeasts. I have used both and they seem to be pretty good for most of the beers I brew, I'm usually looking for a dry ale with neutral flavor from the yeast so the hops and or grains(depending on the recipe) can stand out. just looking for any opinions on the differences. Thanks!

Nottingham attenuates more, so in theory, the finished ale is dryer. In the real world, I can't tell the difference. Then again, I've never actually split a batch and compared them. I use it more than 56 just because it has a wide temperature range.

I've had better experiences with US 56 than Nottingham. Not in terms of taste, but performance. I've had a couple stuck, or very slowed down fermentations with Nottingham, but never with 56. That may be due to other factors, however. And since you're asking about taste, I suppose you haven't had any trouble with Nottingham flocculating early. my 2 cents.

Monk

Back