Nottingham, s-04 and mangrove jack M44

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Hobbs

Reaction score
ok, so I have been brewing a “centennial ale” (biermuncher) for a while using notti and it is a great house beer. I recently did two 10 gal batches and split both into two fermenters each. Added notti to 2 as usual, S04 to one and M44 to the other. The notti are both pretty much the same as I have been making (tasty and crystal clear after coldcrashing). However, both of the others have this cloudy orange hue (not clear) and have a distinct citrus taste...both almost identical. Is this normal for these strains, and if not what is going on? Contamination possibly?

S-04 is reported to sometimes get nasty if fermentation is kept at above 64 degrees F.

I'd guess that the cloudiness is pH related - S04 and M44 might not have had the same pH drop as Notty, which is a notoriously strong fermentor. I haven't used M44, but S04 throws quite a few esters that many brewers don't like. I quite like it, but prefer liquid English strains (esp. WY1968). I love notty and find it very clean if temps are controlled (I prefer it over S05) but am not sure why it's always called an English strain - I don't notice any Englishness to it.

Back