Nottingham / Notty Price Jump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stlouisbrewbros

Reaction score
So seems like overnight, Nottingham now costs almost 3 times as much as before... usually down in the $1.60 range, now $4+ per pack - anybody hear anything as to "why" - just cause they can? - haven't noticed any other yeast prices go up yest (fingers crossed) - hopefully yeast prices don't start heading the way of gasoline... :(

They went to new packaging at least. I think I remember reading about a better process too (whatever that means). I was paying $1.75 a pack, now $3.75. I was shocked when I saw my bill too.

The packs are different looking and now vacuum sealed.

Wow, for just 2-3 more dollars I can get a liquid yeast pack for that money. That was the only reason I was using dry yeast anyway, to save a few bucks.

Wow, for just 2-3 more dollars I can get a liquid yeast pack for that money. That was the only reason I was using dry yeast anyway, to save a few bucks.

To be a true comparison you really should factor in the cost of making the starter for the liquid yeast, and the fact that without a starter liquid yeast has considerably fewer yeast cells than dry yeast. The real benefit of liquid yeast (IMO) is that there are many, many more options which make the cost worth while. YMMV. Cheers!!!

Some LHBS's keep the profit margins low on some products and others don't bother. It is also linked to how much they buy and where they get it from. My local store has been selling Fermentis yeasts for about $2.40 for a few years while others have jumped to $4 or so. Notty is under $2 at most places that I've gone to.

Buy 12 of them here and it's only $1.50

Back