Nottingham Fermentation Time at 68F?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbaron33

Reaction score
Hi all....i'm fermenting a NW dry hopped IPA (it is a rooftop stargazer kit on the picobrew, specifically) with Nottingham at about 68F and my fermentation is looking like it's done after only 4 days. the mash bill is 2 row, victory and carapils. i've found some info saying that this can happen in ideal conditions but in anyone's experience here has nottingham finished fermentation this fast?

i havent done the dry hop yet, i was waiting a few days to add them and as i was getting ready to do it, noticed that the fermentation had seemed to stop.

thanks!

I do, but after many years of testing daily to make sure, I gave that up. I brew mostly porters and stouts that can benefit from more time in the fermenter. So I let all my brews go 3 weeks in the fermenter and just bottle or keg from there, no testing involved (other than getting FG for recording). The only down side would be if I ever get a stuck ferment then I could be in for a surprise. I just make sure my yeast is fresh and don't worry.

So let it ride! Just remember if you are opening the fermenter after completion it won't create CO2 to hopefully get rid of the O2 that will get in when you dry hop. With IPA's you'll want to minimize O2.

Brew on!

Last edited:
thanks Erik and Ayzala! great reminder about the CO2/O2....i do have a hydrometer but the vessel/beaker i use to take the readings has a crack it in which i discovered trying to take my OG reading, and i hadn't replaced it yet, but i am going to do that tonight.

Latest posts

Back