Nottingham English Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what WhiteLabs yeast would be compared to the Nottingham? My LHBS only carries WhiteLabs, so not sure what would compare to Nottingham?

Thanks

Thanks so much!!! Actually, I do see where my LHBS does carry the Nottingham. Which is better to use? Dry or Liquid when making a Speckled Hen clone?

Also, when Orfy posted this in his recipe, what does this mean exactly?

Mash In Add 12.76 L of water at 76.9 C 68.0 C 90 min

Sorry, have one more question as well!!!

When the instructions on the Danstar site say:

allow this strain to brew lager-style beer

What do they mean?

Well, I hate metric.... but convert the liters to quarts or whatever you like, also convert the C to Farenheit... that is your strike water ammount, temperature and mash length in minutes. Id say, use the dry, it is alot cheaper and when you are looking at a yeast strain that really adds nothing to the flavor of the beer, simply ferments it clean, Id use dry, you wont gain anything significant with the liquid....

Brewpilot

I love Nottingham... this is one reason why. It will ferment from 57F to around 72F... that is a HUGE range for any yeast. What they mean is that you can actually use Nottingham at 57F for lagers as well... it is able to ferment even at those cold temps. I generally use it in the 65F range and it still ferments my ales quite quickly and very cleanly.

Brewpilot

VERY COOL!! Thanks so much Brewpilot. Can I ask one more question since I haven't ever used a dry yeast before. What is the best way to re-hydrate the yeast? The directions on their site sounded a little odd.....

Here is what I do religously...
#1 boil 100ml or a 3/4 cup of water to get it nice and sterile.
#2 let it cool to about 88F
#3 when your wort is cooling, add the dried yeast to the water
#4 wait 15 minutes and then gently mix the yeast/water mixture to get it all rehydrated
#5 I add .5oz of the cooled wort at 5 minute intervals, I do this 4x... this is to assimilate the temp of the yeast to the temp of the wort (mine is generally 68F) so I dont want to shock it

For step 5 I use the flavor injecting syringe that came with my turkey frier, it works great for sucking up some wort from the brewpot as well as accurately measuring the wort as I assimilate the temps. Maybe alot of trouble, but I get good airlock activity in about 8 hours....

Brewpilot

GABrewboy said:
Thanks so much!!! Actually, I do see where my LHBS does carry the Nottingham. Which is better to use? Dry or Liquid when making a Speckled Hen clone?

Also, when Orfy posted this in his recipe, what does this mean exactly?

Mash In Add 12.76 L of water at 76.9 C 68.0 C 90 min

It means I mash my grain in 13 litres of water at a temp of 68°C for 90 minutes

or

14 quarts at 154°F for 90 minutes if you need to do it in old measurements.:D

GROOVY!! Thanks Orfy.......:D

Thanks so much for clearing that up for me........:ban:

Thanks a million Brewpilot for those directions!! I printed them out and will use this same formula that you have.....:mug:

GABrewboy said:
Can someone tell me what WhiteLabs yeast would be compared to the Nottingham? My LHBS only carries WhiteLabs, so not sure what would compare to Nottingham?

Thanks

WLP039 Nottingham Ale Yeast:

British style ale yeast with a very dry finish. Medium to low fruit and fusel alcohol production. Good top fermenting yeast strain, is well suited for top cropping (collecting). This yeast is well suited for pale ales, ambers, porters, and stouts.

It's only available in March and April, however.

Brewpilot said:
I love Nottingham... this is one reason why. It will ferment from 57F to around 72F... that is a HUGE range for any yeast. What they mean is that you can actually use Nottingham at 57F for lagers as well... it is able to ferment even at those cold temps. I generally use it in the 65F range and it still ferments my ales quite quickly and very cleanly.

Brewpilot

You can't brew lagers with an ale yeast.
The difference between a true lager yeast and an ale yeast is the ability to fully ferment the sugar raffinose.
You could brew an lager "like" ale with ale yeast. And yes , nottingham will ferment clean, especially at the lower temps. I do this all the time using nottingham.

does that mean that drinking lager leads to less flatulence? Which lets face it can be a bit of a problem with homebrew :D .

Back