Nottingham dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobk34

Reaction score
Is this a starter yeast or will it work all the way through? I pitched Friday night just wondering if I needed to add another tommorrow or just let it ride I have safale04

Notty will have no problems with that pumpkin ale. Just keep your temp down, low-60's to start, finish around 65-66.

boydster said:
Notty will have no problems with that pumpkin ale. Just keep your temp down, low-60's to start, finish around 65-66.
that is a problem as where my fermenter sits which is my basement can't get it lower 66 to 68

that is a problem as where my fermenter sits which is my basement can't get it lower 66 to 68

If using Nottingham, you have to figure out a way to keep it cool (below 68*F beer temp, not air). Nottingham is an excellent strain for cooler ferment temps (all the way down to 55*F), but it starts to throw off-flavors if allowed to go above 68*F during active ferment.

I have a stick on thermoter it says between 66 and 68 I also gave it a swirl just one

Yeah it gets estery in the 68 range for me. 66 is as high as I like to go with that yeast, but only at the end of fermentation. You're making a pumpkin ale so the flavors you put in there might help over power any potential yeast flavors.

Back