Notso Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriggity

Reaction score
I recently made a Red ale that came out brown; using a recipe that called for 8 oz each of Munich, Caramel 40, Caramel 80, and 2 oz of roasted barley as specialty grains

Whats the real secret to getting a deep red hue?

eriggity said:
I recently made a Red ale that came out brown; using a recipe that called for 8 oz each of Munich, Caramel 40, Caramel 80, and 2 oz of roasted barley as specialty grains

Whats the real secret to getting a deep red hue?

I got a good red (nice and roasty malt flavor--- very tasty!!) out of a partial mash recipe which consisted of:

5lb Pale LME
2lb 2-row
1lb Crystal 60L
1/2 lb Crystal 120L
2 oz Roasted Barley (500L)

Tweak or modify as you see fit :D

edit: 2 lbs orange blossom honey in the boil too.

Start by losing the roasted barley:D

J/K if like it use it- though I hate the stuff.
A good brewing software like Brewsmith or Promash is a worthwhile investment. It helps formulate recipes, predicts things like color, gravity, ABV, hop utilization,etc. It helps calculate things like water temp and grain for AG brewing & lots more. It will tell you your color before you brew, and it's always spot-on with stuff like that.

I've seen several recommendations for using roasted barley to get a red color. Is it the taste you don't like, ablrbrau? What does it taste like?

Roasted barley is the way to go. It can give a nice red hue and the aroma is out of this world. I debated roasted or chocolate in my last batch for an amber and when I opened my container of roasted I couldn't get my face out of it. The grain itself appears dark red with some lighter highlights thrown in.
I see not everyone feels the same.

As I said I don't care for roasted barley. It imparts what I call a "coffee" flavor and aroma to my brew, plus it's easy to put in too much. I go for crystal malts.

Guess I'll have to try the roasted barley on my next rendition of my red (orange) ale. I'm not going to know if I like it until I try it. Unless ... anyone know of any microbrews that use roasted barley where the flavor is discernible?

I used 3oz of roasted barley in my last batch and the wort has a nice reddish hue. There shouldn't really be much flavor with the small amounts needed to color a brew.

I read somewhere that CaCO3 (I think it was Cal-carb, I'll have to go look it up) also helps to give a red hue.

Thanks, Chairman. Yep, that's calcium carbonate, aka limestone.

I think I'll just go with a small amount of the roasted barley on my next attempt at this red ale, though. If small amounts color without adding flavor, that sounds ideal.

I'm playing around with some de-bittered black malt on a recipe that's coming up, hoping that it will give me a reddish hue without imparting roastiness. Going to try a couple ounces to start. I'm shooting basically for a reddish IPA, which I suppose is more accurately called a hoppy red ale.

I ended up going with this recipe :

3 lbs Light DME
3lbs Pale liq Extract
.5 lb Carmel 40
.5 Caramel 80
.5 Munich
and 2 oz roasted barley

Used Columbus and Amarillo hops

Its in secondary now with gelatin fining. The color looks slightly red against the white dryhop bag but I wont be able to tell until I get in in a glass.

Thanks for the replies.

Whats the deal with Melanoidin grains? Has anyone used to to achieve red?

Back