Nothing Looked Right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruceb07

Reaction score
Hi, I am a first time brewer and have just finished my first batch but nothing looked right. I used a Irish Red Ale Kit. While I was cooking the wart I did not see the foam that I expected during the boil. I boiled for the total 60 minutes that the kit specified but am not feeling confident in the end result. Is there a problem or am I just overly gunny???

I just brewed an Irish stout and didn't have a hot break (big foam up) either. I have gotten the results yet, as it's still fermenting, but I'm sure it'll be fine. I think the not real advantage of a hot an cold break is to reduce chill haze or cloudiness in the end result, don't think it'll significantly impact flavor. In any case, it'll still make beer.

You're being a gunny (whatever that means.)

The hot break that you've read about doesn't always happen in extract beers, since usually the break happens at the maltser when they are making the extract.

If you had a boil, then everything is fine.

:mug:

It's your first brew, you're probably being paranoid, everybody is early on.

Did it froth up and boil violently at the start of the boil, then settle down for the rest of it?

Gunny is a reference to someone like the gunnery Sargent in the movie "Shooter". Being a sniper.gunny is the slang term used. But the DME I use in the boil produces a little hot break,maybe a half inch tops. Until last Wednesday,when my wife brewed a SA summer ale clone. She used a pound each of Munton's light DME,& 1 of their wheat DME. That wheat malt made a crazy hot break that would've been all over the stove if we hadn't taken turns stirring it down. Hop bursting & late malt additions made for a very exciting fermentation...!!:drunk:

No it did not froth up at all anytime during the boil just a small amout of foam arround the outside. Nothing like I expected..

Gunny is a reference to someone like the gunnery Sargent in the movie "Shooter". Being a sniper.gunny is the slang term used. But the DME I use in the boil produces a little hot break,maybe a half inch tops. Until last Wednesday,when my wife brewed a SA summer ale clone. She used a pound each of Munton's light DME,& 1 of their wheat DME. That wheat malt made a crazy hot break that would've been all over the stove if we hadn't taken turns stirring it down. Hop bursting & late malt additions made for a very exciting fermentation...!!:drunk:

I figured a gunny would be someone tough, experienced and confident....Is it different in shooter?

No,not really. Except for his having gotten punchy & disillusioned with the government & the military. It's the reason why his character is that way. But it did help him survive,certainly. I still remember the way pop was in the Philippines...just add redneck mountain man to the equation,still something like gunny.

This is who/what I think up when I picture a gunny.

gunny.jpg

Latest posts

Back