Not sure if fermentation has started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisdownes

Reaction score
I've just made my first brew but after adding the yeast at 0700 this morning I don't think it is fermenting yet. How long should it take to start fermenting.

This is the recipe I used:

200g crystal malt crushed
3kg coopers amber malt extract
29g challenger hops
16g goldings hops
Safale s-04 ale yeast

I filled the mash boiler with 25 litres cold water and added the crystal malt in a bag and brought the water to a boil and switched off, left it for 20 mins and removed the crystal malt. Next I added all the malt extract and the hops and broughtbback to the boil and left on a rolling boil for 20 mins. After 20 mins I switched off the boiler and removed the hops and transferred to the fermenting bucket and left to cool. Once it had cooled to 20c I measured the OG and it was 1.050, next I added the yeast and put the lid back on the bucket.

It can actually take up to 72 hours to see visible signs of fermentation. You'll be fine, no doubt.

You shouldn't bring grains up to a boil,whether steeped or mashed. steeping grains shouldn't go above 165F. 160F for 30 minutes would be better imo. Ans saving at least half the extract for flame out would give lighter color & cleaner flavor. In other words,it wouldn't have that cooked extract flavor.

Latest posts

Back