Not sure if carbing PSI info. is accurate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

as1084

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a Scottish Ale and Belgian IPA sitting in the fridge waiting to be carbed. So I went on Tastybrew.com to check for the accurate PSI to set on my regulator. According to them, both beers should be set to 4.5 PSI @ around 35F. Too me, that seems low. FYI, I am using the set it and forget it method. Do scottish ales and belgian IPAs typically have that low carbonation? The Belgian IPAs I have drank in the past have seemed very well carbed to me. Thanks!

Hey guys. I have a Scottish Ale and Belgian IPA sitting in the fridge waiting to be carbed. So I went on Tastybrew.com to check for the accurate PSI to set on my regulator. According to them, both beers should be set to 4.5 PSI @ around 35F. Too me, that seems low. FYI, I am using the set it and forget it method. Do scottish ales and belgian IPAs typically have that low carbonation? The Belgian IPAs I have drank in the past have seemed very well carbed to me. Thanks!

Belgian and American IPAs are great (in my opinion) at about 2.4 volumes, although 2.2-2.7 is the "correct" amount of co2.

Scottish ales tend to be less carbonated, from 1.3 (pretty flat!) to 2.3 volumes.

I keep almost all of my beers at the 2.4 volumes of co2. In my kegerator, that's 11 psi at 39 degrees.

Your calculator seems off.

Thanks Yooper. I'm glad I asked cause it seemed really low. I used that calculator for other brews and they were right on. I dialed them up to 10 psi.

Back