Not stuck, bot slooooow sparge....normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I did my first "real" (non-BIAB) AG batch the other day and after a gallon or so had drained, the first runnings and then subsequent sparge runnings slowed to a crawl. They never stopped entirely but slowed down reaaaally sllooowwwwww. I eventually collected 6.6 gallons of 1.048 wort with my first runnings and then two batch sparges of 2 gallons each, but it took over 1-1/2 hours after the mash finished!

Is that normal?

Thanks!

Nick

That is abnormally slow. At least it wasn't a stuck sparge! What was the grain bill? What kind of set up? Rice hills? Any details about your process would be helpful to solve your dilemma!

Yeah, at least it wasn't stuck, that's true.

My MLT is a 5 gallon Rubbermaid cooler with a SS braid (3/4" I think? for a hot water tank)
The grain bill was 10.75 lbs. I think the holes in the SS might be too tight as a vorlauf wasn't necessary, even though I still did it. No grain material at all came out.
Perhaps I should construct a manifold? What's this about rice hulls?

I feel I must add that I got 80% efficiency (30ppg), so I'm very happy with that...I'd just like to speed up the process a bit!

Cheers!

Nick

I am betting on the braid also, I had the same one and real slow runoff also, switched to the 1/2 inch braid and a lot better, I am considering building a manifold also, I think with a large grainbill the braid just can't handle it as good.

I had slow draining with a smaller diameter braid; sped right up with a larger diameter, but who knows for sure (might have been that the second braid had the right size screen for my grind).

Some braids do collapse. If you do some reading, some use a SS spiral spring inside (or some other device to keep from collapsing).

Only other thing I can think is your grind is on the edge of being too fine. Whatever it is, the liquid is not getting through either the mash or the braid.

Good luck on it.

Rich

Well, it is a large diameter braid...one meant for hot water tanks and it didn't get crushed...it held up just fine. I think I might go look for one that has a looser weave...this one's pretty tight.

Oh, and I forgot to add that my mill is a Barley Crusher set at the factory setting (.039", I think?)

I use the braid from morebeer in my HLT Rubbermaid cooler. I had to take it apart and cut it down so it'd fit, which will end up causing you to stab yourself in the hands with tiny stainless steel braid pieces. But it's a very efficient little bugger.

I had a slow sparge once after a double decotion. The protein glop plugged everything up. Heat up your sparge water to closer to 180 instead of 170 and you should break everything loose. Remember to stir your grains after you add sparge water if you're batching it.

I had my first really slow sparge last week. I'm betting mine was on the the flaked wheat(1st time using these) and that I accidentally threw it through the mill with the rest of the grain. My BC is set @ .035 and works like a champ.

I had the same issue. I now make it a habit to throw a handful of rice hulls into every mash I do. The rice hulls act as a way to keep the grain bed loose, not sure of the science behind it but it works. I also use a bazooka type tube in a 10 gallon Rubbermaid mash tun.

Spend the time with a grinder and a vice to cut the thing down like a smart person would. I still stab myself on little pieces of frayed stainless steel from when I cut mine to fit the MLT.

Yup exactly. I started off with the braid deal and it collapsed on my first mash. Ripped it out immediately and have been using this ever since. Takes about 5 seconds to install.

All my hardware on the MLT is 3/8 though, I'd have to find a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter, although I'm sure they exist.

Back