Not-So-Secret-Santa Christmas Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On to the next beer sent from RussPDX. Your call. He states "every so often you brew beer that just does not come out anything like what you expected". Been there. dumped a few drank a few. This definitely falls in the drink a few. Clear and brilliant red when held up to the light. Tastes like an Irish red to me. Amber malt in the nose. Definitely taste the crystal malt. Nice bitterness to balance it out. I'm actually really interested to see what he was going for here as it is a damn tasty brew.

Thanks Jake. If you like roast, I think you will really enjoy the Porter.

What I had sent Jakeasur was

Fuzzy Nut Brown - The recipe was the first AG batch I had ever done and I really liked it so other than playing with different yeast strains, the recipe has pretty much stayed the same. Happy to share, but my computer died the other day and I have not had time to install Beersmith on the replacement yet.....I split this batch half 1099 Whitbread Ale and 1968 London ESB. You got the 1099 as the 1968 is at my brew partners house so we just keg and share as needed. I actually think that I prefer the 1968, I found that it fermented just a little bit cleaner.
Your Call - This was Jamil's Hoppiness is an IPA recipe from BCS. It was a midweek stovetop extract batch. I have made it before and gotton nothing but compliments.....but this time.......Instead of giving me Pale/Light LME, the LHBS packed me up some Amberesque stuff and I didn't realize it. It calls for Munich extract as well which I generally weigh out but this time my scale died and I didn't have a fresh battery so I guessed. It is way darker than it was intended and when I first kegged it, it was aweful. The bitterness was way out of balance but I decided to just let it sit. Two months later it has really come into its own and I am enjoying it. My Brother-in-Law who is a total hop head was over last night and he liked it too, so just goes to show you....Beer is magical and can fix itself.

The two others that I sent are a London Porter that is Gordon Strong's recipe from BYO Porter issue several months ago. I have made that 3 or 4 times now and really like how roasty it is although I might try cold steeping the dark malts just to see if I can smooth it out a touch. Last is a brew that my brew partner made that he called ORtoberfest. He made it late September or October but wanted an Octoberfest and there was no time to start making a lager so it is his Ale version. Essentially just an easy drinking Amber.

Ok, Apologies to poptart... this has been a hell of a week, sounds like there is a lot of that going around.
First off, these are the first HB I have had that were not mine, so this is all very exciting.
Second, this entire box is pretty much out of the norm for me, which is awesome!
I have never had skeeter pee or mead, I got 2 of each!
I don't usually do a lot of big beers, I think 7.2% was the only one below 10%! just all around crazy!
Obviously, I'm going to have to space these out...

Berry Skeeter Pee
nice berry aroma - has a tart berry bite, has a little alcohol bite, but only enough that you know it's there.
Pretty good, not an everyday drinker for me, but great change of pace, and SWMBO really liked it...

Mad Elf v1 - **disclaimer**
I have never had a mad elf, I have read the name a few times in the MAW threads, but now I want to try the original as well.
This is a big boozy beer! Strong malty backbone, this may have made the hops seem weaker than they were, not sure.
Very little hop aroma, if any. not sure if that is per the original or not.
Good beer, definitely not sessionable!

Hoptarts
beautiful red color-slight hop aroma-thick full head
This beer has a big full flavor, bittering hops match up pretty well, I feel it could use more aroma hops, but that's just me.
Drinking it, you don't realize it's 10%.
Wish there were 2 of these, good beer

Well glad I could get you something you haven't had before. The mad elf recipe is on this site, there are quite a few HBTers trying to clone it up. it never had much hop aroma to begin with but its about a year old so its pretty much down to the yeast and malt for aroma. Here is a list I psoted earlier but it got burried pretty fast so not sure you saw it or not yet. should give you a better idea of whats in the bottles.
On FedEx vehicle for delivery, so here goes.

Apple Pie Mead: it’s getting close to 2 years old now, Getting better every time I open one, still could use more time if you want to wait if not its completely drinkable as is.

Skeeter Pee: Pretty much original recipe, used a bit more sugar so it got up to 10%, nothing special.

Berry Pee: Skeeter Pee second batch but with black tea, and back sweetened with juice concentrate and close to 13% abv.

Bogarts Barley Wine: @KingBogart made this one 1.111OG tons of dark fruit flavor and aroma.

Hoptarts: An American barley wine, brewed summer 2014, took first in barley wine category at KROC comp with score 38. Fairly hop forward but nice sweetness on the back. Was going to brew with poptarts in the mash but chickened out last minute, will do it next time though lol.

Raspberry, Vanilla, Earl Grey Mead Stuff: Young and should get some age, close to 15% had to rush to bottling for Christmas gifts, pretty smooth for only being a little over a month old.

Apple Pie Ale: Pretty tasty one, I apologize if its not carbonated, had issues getting this batch to carb up for some reason but all the others from that 6 pack were so here is to hoping. Won our local club comp, has decent amount of malt with some crisp green apple flavor.

Mad Elf: Belgian dark strong, my attempt at a clone, pretty close but a little dryer than the original. Sent it off to the Big Beers and Barley Wine Comp so hoping to get more feedback on it next month when the results come back.

The Abyss: Year old RIS, clone attempt aged on oak and cherry bark. A bit thinner than and not quite as complex as the original if you have ever had it. Overall though, it has turned into a good beer over the past year.

I look forward to hearing about likes and dislikes as well as any flaws you find. The only thing under 10% is the Apple pie ale and its 8% so just keep that in mind.
:mug:

:mug:

@ Wolfhound180
Everything ok? Saw it was delivered yesterday afternoon.
I apologize for the lack of HB, but my HB lately has been a comedy of errors.
P- is a pear cider
D- is a ummm, not sure, well, let's call it a double dunkel.
Last is a Cascade pale ale, but it was bottled in June, I think, so it is starting to fade a bit.
The rest are some local craft beers.
Hope everything made it ok.

@ Poptarts
Anything special on aging the mead longer? temp requirements and such?
It's a perfect box!
The point of this for me was to try stuff I've never had, be it HB or craft. I would have been thrilled either way.
You hit that spot on. I didn't KNOW I liked barley wine, that Hoptarts was good stuff though.
Excellent job sir!
Merry Christmas!

Glad you liked it, its on of the better beers I have brewed I think. And mead is pretty much a wine so cellar temp is fine, cool, dry, dark, you know the drill.

Pointcity Citra Pale ale

Ap: dark for an ipa, heavy carb leaves a lasting finger and half head

Ar: very muted but do get some citrus hop, would of guessed cascade or amarillo just not getting that citra punch. Sweet malt out back carries the hop a little further.

T: high carb scrubs the palate before i can really get anything on it. Getting some malt sweetness and a dry bakers chocolate thing going on. Bottles seems like it could be a little fresher.

O: drinkable but ok. Need to work on your attenuation/yeast health and hop additions. Quick look into Water chemistry might help also. Seems like you have soft water.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419033551.241434.jpg

Pointcity Apricot Cream ale

Ap: similer to the pale in color but on the lighter side. Was expecting a shade to 2 lighter but thats the beauty to this isn't it.

Ar: ohh that is apricot!! Subtle and not so in your face, which i like. also very authentic feel over artificial extract. Bit of stone pit complexity out back.

T: Perfect carb on this one. Palate is dry and a touch thin but the apricots make up the perceived sweetness and mouthfeel for sure. Once again very authentic feel to it. Goes down easy and the touch of acidity out back leaves me wanting more. As it warms some acetaldehyde is detected but not overwheling and sorta helps with the fruity aspect...sorta. None the less great palate.

O: Very nice! Color fooled me but it ended up being very good. To be honest didnt finish the pale ale bottle but finished this one. Great apricot feel this and let me tell ya. Apricots are one of my favorite fruit. Thx for this!!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419034119.793020.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, the fact that it's a drinkable beer makes me happy. It was brewed back in march so the hops have faded a bit.

Glad you liked the Apricot, I have had positive reviews on that one . I had positive reviews on the pale ale when it was fresher .

I am not expecting much out of the vanilla orange cream ale, but that's why I participated in this .

Sent from the future using neurological impulses.

Received shipment from inkman15 today. Packaged very well, took me 20+ minutes to unpack.

121914 Homebrew Small.png

@eatmorefrogs Maple Syrup Ale.
Pouring I got maple right away. I am regretting not having this with pancakes. The maple is not over powering but yet it is there. There's no twang whatsoever from the syrup. The aftertaste reminds me of this wonderful candy I got in Canada. It's very good and sweet. Malty and I cannot even figure out which hop was used. This is truly a treat. I was skeptical, but if I had not eaten dinner just now, I'd be making pancakes. I want more.

It's not thin, wonderful mouthfeel and I'm glad it's not too thick because I think I'd perceive it as more syrup and maybe not love it. Poured with a small head, very small. Perfect if you ask me. This has only gotten better as it warmed to about 48F.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419042902.305325.jpg

@eatmorefrogs Maple Syrup Ale.
Pouring I got maple right away. I am regretting not having this with pancakes. The maple is not over powering but yet it is there. There's no twang whatsoever from the syrup. The aftertaste reminds me of this wonderful candy I got in Canada. It's very good and sweet. Malty and I cannot even figure out which hop was used. This is truly a treat. I was skeptical, but if I had not eaten dinner just now, I'd be making pancakes. I want more.

It's not thin, wonderful mouthfeel and I'm glad it's not too thick because I think I'd perceive it as more syrup and maybe not love it. Poured with a small head, very small. Perfect if you ask me. This has only gotten better as it warmed to about 48F.

View attachment 242973

@Eatmorefrogs, I want the recipe!

Bryan (bford) sent an awesome package of homebrews and commercial beers that i haven't tried before.

I'm going to chill all except the two that are still conditioning and will crack em open in a couple of days

By the way your Altex caps and labels look great.

View attachment 1419104983051.jpg

Finally cracked on of the brews tonight. House Pale Ale

A little darker than I was expecting but very nice. Pleasant hoppy aroma. Nice malty flavor. A little sweet, like maybe a touch of chocolate or darker caramel. Not a very bog head but it did stick around in the glass for a while. Very enjoyable.

beer.jpg

Just poured my first HB from inkman15. It's described as a hoppy pale ale. Just to quantify this review, I don't have the developed taste buds of a beer expert but I like beer. It's a very nice golden hue with a white, quickly dissipating head leaving some lacing on the glass. It has a slight haze but is visually appealing to me. I can only detect malt in the nose. It has a very pleasant, mild, mid palate bitterness but the grain bill appears to be fairly simple. Light body, this is a great summertime, sitting on the patio beer. For me, I would be pleased if I had been served this at a bar or brewpub. Good job.

Hoppy Pale Ale inkman15.jpg

I just had Finsfan's...
Vanilla Face RIS: brewed using this recipe. I ended up adding Jamseon soaked oak beans (yes I meant to type oak beans, look it up) and 1 vanilla bean and let that age for 3 months before bottling. I enjoy this one but think it needs tweaking. I probably wont use oak beans again and may forgo the vanilla in the future as well.

I really like the base beer and the amount of Jameson you used comes out nice. Its not boozy but the flavor is there. Any negatives I'd post about the beer would be personal preference things so nothing is to be said. Nice beer.

Bryan (bford) sent an awesome package of homebrews and commercial beers that i haven't tried before.

I'm going to chill all except the two that are still conditioning and will crack em open in a couple of days

By the way your Altex caps and labels look great.

Ha.. last time I checked FedEx it was showing it was going to be delivered on Monday... glad it made it safe and sound.

I opened up a Citra Smash (in the Altex cap and label) last night and it was certainly still light on the carbonation. Just had the carbed apfelwein and it has farther to go... thanks to the higher alcohol level... but it tasted good... and has plenty of alcohol!

Took the Two Moe's Pale Ale and Lime Hefe to a party last night... all the bottles I took disappeared without complaint. The hefe does start to show its banana and clove more as it warms... when cold its more of an American wheat flavor with plenty of citrus.

Enjoy!

Just finished up Hello's Chocolate Coconut Milk Stout.

Really good. Not a lot of carb, but enough. Lots of bitter chocolate on the finish. Good sweetness. Not sure I picked up the coconut, though I think I get some on the nose. I'm not huge on mouthfeel, never really bothers me either way... BUT this is what a great stout feels like in my opinion...right in the middle. 9 percent alcohol, so I'll just be having the one bottle of it today. Tomorrow one of the Pumpkin Stouts.

Very good beer.

Sorry for no pic. Left my phone in the car and my wife now has it in her purse as she is out shopping and didn't want to leave it in the car of course!

Oh...took the craft IPA's last night... all were thoroughly enjoyed... I got to taste all of them and shared with several other Texans who had never had them.

@nmfree, did the bottles arrive safely?
Yes, it did, and I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I was waiting until the tree was finished so I could take a picture, and then I got lazy. I'm waiting until closer to Chrismas to drink the beers, and I'll post some pictures then when I post some tasting thoughts.

Package arrived safe & sound!!

You really outdid yourself with the hydrometer.
I havnt figured out how to upload pics as the HBT app no longer works on my phone, but as soon as I do I will post pics.
I'm gonna get started on them this weekend & will post back with results.
Been wanting to try apfelwein!!!
Excellent. I'm always a little worried when I ship homebrew.

Just finished up Hello's Chocolate Coconut Milk Stout.

Really good. Not a lot of carb, but enough. Lots of bitter chocolate on the finish. Good sweetness. Not sure I picked up the coconut, though I think I get some on the nose. I'm not huge on mouthfeel, never really bothers me either way... BUT this is what a great stout feels like in my opinion...right in the middle. 9 percent alcohol, so I'll just be having the one bottle of it today. Tomorrow one of the Pumpkin Stouts.

Very good beer.

Sorry for no pic. Left my phone in the car and my wife now has it in her purse as she is out shopping and didn't want to leave it in the car of course!

Oh...took the craft IPA's last night... all were thoroughly enjoyed... I got to taste all of them and shared with several other Texans who had never had them.

Wonderful! Carb is likely lite due to my poor bottling from keg skills and it was already just not carbing much. I am glad you're enjoying things thus far.

Yes, it did, and I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I was waiting until the tree was finished so I could take a picture, and then I got lazy. I'm waiting until closer to Chrismas to drink the beers, and I'll post some pictures then when I post some tasting thoughts.

Excellent. I'm always a little worried when I ship homebrew.

Cheers

1) Jalapeno-Cucumber Saison, 8.3%, Bottled from keg. Gold metal winner. Sweet pepper flavor and refreshing cucumber goes really well with a strong saison base. Its an odd one but so damn good. No to very mild spice, was going for flavor of the jalapeno not spice.

Got around to trying this tonight paired with my dinner of homemade chimichangas.

Appearance: crystal clear and golden in color, formed a nice head initially that dissipated quickly (although I've never seen a beer above 8% that didn't). Really a beautiful beer.

Aroma: apparent jalapeno in the nose coupled with the fruity funkiness associated with saisons.

Taste: vegetal jalapeno up front, definitely must have been sweet peppers because there is almost no jalapeno spice (which I would have liked to have seen). Very little hop character. Couldn't quite pick up on the cucumbers over the pepper. After the upfront pepper I get all the saison flavors of fruit , funk and pepper.

Mouthfeel: thin and boozy, almost like a champagne. But spot on for the style.

Overall: would have been nice to taste a little more cucumber and some spice from the jalapeno but those are my preferences. Otherwise I wouldn't change it. It is a very good example of the style with some vegetable adaptations. If it is how you like it than leave it be. But IMO more spice and less vegetable taste would have pushed this to near perfection.

Got around to trying this tonight paired with my dinner of homemade chimichangas.

Appearance: crystal clear and golden in color, formed a nice head initially that dissipated quickly (although I've never seen a beer above 8% that didn't). Really a beautiful beer.

Aroma: apparent jalapeno in the nose coupled with the fruity funkiness associated with saisons.

Taste: vegetal jalapeno up front, definitely must have been sweet peppers because there is almost no jalapeno spice (which I would have liked to have seen). Very little hop character. Couldn't quite pick up on the cucumbers over the pepper. After the upfront pepper I get all the saison flavors of fruit , funk and pepper.

Mouthfeel: think and boozy, almost like a champagne. But spot on for the style.

Overall: would have been nice to taste a little more cucumber and some spice from the jalapeno but those are my preferences. Otherwise I wouldn't change it. It is a very good example of the style with some vegetable adaptations. If it is how you like it than leave it be. But IMO more spice and less vegetable taste would have pushed this to near perfection.

I always forget to attach the pics.

View attachment 1419144525153.jpg

View attachment 1419144536889.jpg

I always forget to attach the pics.

It was an older brew so the cuke must have faded. I was going for sweet pepper on this. I removed the seeds. If i brew it again ill add a little heat to it. I probably cant get away from the vegible flavor but ill probably roast them next time and add a bunch more cukes. Looks like you enjoyed it overall

It was an older brew so the cuke must have faded. I was going for sweet pepper on this. I removed the seeds. If i brew it again ill add a little heat to it. I probably cant get away from the vegible flavor but ill probably roast them next time and add a bunch more cukes. Looks like you enjoyed it overall

Oh yeah. Great brew overall. Didn't really mind the veggie flavor either.

Just poured my first HB from inkman15. It's described as a hoppy pale ale. Just to quantify this review, I don't have the developed taste buds of a beer expert but I like beer. It's a very nice golden hue with a white, quickly dissipating head leaving some lacing on the glass. It has a slight haze but is visually appealing to me. I can only detect malt in the nose. It has a very pleasant, mild, mid palate bitterness but the grain bill appears to be fairly simple. Light body, this is a great summertime, sitting on the patio beer. For me, I would be pleased if I had been served this at a bar or brewpub. Good job.

Thanks for the review and I'm glad you liked it. It's definitely a simple grain bill - only 2-row. This beer was meant to just help me use up some extra hops so I wanted to keep it simple. Cheers!

Finally got around to posting. I've had a few of Weezy's beers over the past couple days.

Weizenbock - Had this one last night and really enjoyed it. A touch of funk on the nose (a positive for me) likely from the hefe yeast. Funk does not follow through to the palate. Restrained hefe esters are present - I detected some dried fruits and bananas but not overwhelmingly strong. Underneath is a nice malt bill with some caramel coming to the forefront along with some toasty/bready notes. Smooth and med/full bodied. Minimal alcohol warming. Nice job!

Simple Maris Otter IPA With HBC-342
- Loved this beer. I've never had HBC 342 before and now I'm looking at picking some up. Pungent citrusy/funky/tangy nose. Has a vinous note to it as well. Taste follows - a really excellent, unexpected mix of citrus, funk, even oniony. Kind of reminds me of Azacca hops that Victory used in Hop Ranch (which is one of my all time favorite beers). Finishes very dry and crisp. Fantastic beer!

White Christmas Light Lager - Nose is fruit juice and apples. Actually reminded me a lot of straight up apple juice. Taste follows plus some bready malts underneath. Very light body which is in line with the style. Carbonation was a touch low but that could be because this is an old bottle. Would have liked some more of the juniper flavor/aroma but I could drink a few of these at a Christmas get together.

Hope to get to the others in the next few days. Sorry about not taking pictures. Will take them for the remainder. Thanks!

@nmfree

Old Balakirev v1

Jet black in appearance. Nice lasting creamy head with a roasty chocolate nose. I didn't get any hop aroma, but that's ok cause I'm not a hop head at all. No off flavors detected with perfect carbonation level.
I really enjoyed this beer and would like the recipe!
I'm gonna be trying the apfelwein while watching some football today.
GREAT BEER!

image.jpg

American Light Ale (ALA) - This is a franken-recipe. When making the switch from extract to all grain, that was whatever extra stuff was left on the shelf. It's a fairly easy drinker. I forgot irish moss so it's cloudy. If we're in the safety tree of honesty, it's so "eh" that I almost didn't send it, but I decided to pad the numbers. :) It's not that it's bad, it's just boring. I'm really selling it, aren't I?
I was looking for something light and this was the choice. It's not bad at all. I PM fact, it's a pretty beer and it just kind of tastes like a mild amber. I don't hate it and would drink this all day. Thanks for this. A sideways pic because sideways pics on Sundays are okay.
image.jpg

2nd beer from inkman15. This is a citra SMaSH made with Maris Otter malt. This one was bottle conditioned and has a modest citrus smell. It's a little hazy and my wife tells me the color is topaz but I'd call it dark gold or light bronze. Nice carbonation and a slight mid palate bitterness. The body is light and you can start to detect some of the Maris Otter biscuit but it's difficult for me to describe. I might be tasting a bit of oxidation but no off flavors detected. Thanks!

Citra SMaSH.jpg

Finished the Madura and moving right along to a Homebrewed Graff that Jakesaur sent. This is great. I have not had a Graff so I had to look up the style. Typically I am really not a huge cider fan. Some examples can be good, but just not my first choice. I really like it. Light and fruity with a buttering bite that just is delicious. Somewhat clear, not brilliant, but somewhere in the middle, clean slightly fruity nose. I want this recipe. View attachment 242583View attachment 242586

Glad you liked it. I to am not a huge cider fan but do enjoy one on occasion. Like your you call it this was a mid week stove top batch. I'm having trouble attaching the link. The recipe can be found on here. Its Brandon O's Graff recipe. Followed exactly. I used cheep local supermarket apple juice and crystal 120L. For the hops I used 1 oz of 2% AA Hersbucker hops. And us05 yeast. Takes just over an hour from start to cleaned up.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419211908.481369.jpg
@Johnnyhitch1 's traditional mead. Lost some in the box in transit, so just one glass worth. Floral honey aroma, slight alcohol heat at 12%, but really smooth overall. Slightly thick mouthfeel.

If this is your least favorite of the 4 meads you sent, I'm really looking forward to the next 3.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419212167.806994.jpg
BA Maple Porter up next. Really mellow oak/whiskey flavors, blends well with the malt base. Not getting a ton of maple coming through. Light carbonation and minimal head, which I like for the style. Really enjoying this beer. I imagine it would have been excellent younger, but as it is it is really nice.

Latest posts

Back