Not-So-Secret-Santa Christmas Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8) Yummy Sound Sour Stout, 8%, Bottled Conditioned. One of the best beers I made so far. This sour stout stands up to Funk Metal from Jester King. People comment that it is actually better. Puckering sour gives away to tart cherry, slight roastiness. Version 2.0 is planned

This sounds sounds absolutely amazing! Never had Funk Metal but the roastiness/tart cherry combination is intriguing.

Here are the brews that are on their way to sfgoat

1) Jalapeno-Cucumber Saison, 8.3%, Bottled from keg. Gold metal winner. Sweet pepper flavor and refreshing cucumber goes really well with a strong saison base. Its an odd one but so damn good. No to very mild spice, was going for flavor of the jalapeno not spice.

2) 100% Brett Saison dry hopped with Motueka, 7.7%, Bottle conditioned. Fermented with 100% Brett. This slightly tart brett beer is big on funk and fruitiness of the brett. Motueka adds a slight citrus and just blends well with the beer.

3) Gose Straight to the Head, 7%, Bottled from keg. Sour Mashed Gose. Tart, salty absolutely hit the nail on the head with this one. Think of it as a more balanced Westbrook gose. I think it is up there with that one.

4) 100% Brett Rye (IPA), 8.5%, Bottle Conditioned. The IPA in parenthesis because this brew is about 8-9 months old so the hops probably faded a little. Same strain as #2. Slightly tart fruity/Funk saison

5) India Black Lager, 7.1%, Bottled from Keg. A little experimental brew. This is basically a highly hopped Baltic porter. Hops upfront gives way to chocolate roast. Next batch will be a little less roast but it is still tasty.

6) Morning Hangover Rx (Breakfast Stout), 7%, Bottled from Keg. Basically a dessert beer. This beer is sweet with massive coffee, chocolate and slight vanilla really makes this beer great. Fully body deliciousness

7) Pilsing in the Wind Pilsner, 5.9%, Bottled from Keg. Highly hopped Czech Pils. There is a slight Cream corn on the nose but very clean and easy drinking pils.

8) Yummy Sound Sour Stout, 8%, Bottled Conditioned. One of the best beers I made so far. This sour stout stands up to Funk Metal from Jester King. People comment that it is actually better. Puckering sour gives away to tart cherry, slight roastiness. Version 2.0 is planned

Hope you Enjoy all of them. All should be ready to go, the bottle conditioned can age if you feel like it. Drink the keg conditions first and quickly! Also there are a few other goodies in the box

All but 5 are on Untappd under Abbey Normal Bierworx. Might add it tonight

Man, I can't wait to try these. Thanks DC.

Man, I can't wait to try these. Thanks DC.

Another note. Careful opening the Brett. Might flow over. Make sure you pour somewhat quickly to the glass. I havent had one that overflowed but other people said it did. Let them rest for a couple of days in the fridge before consuming. Enjoy!

Box will be landing tomorrow, making it's way through VA. I wasn't able to send as much home brew as I expected, got it brewed just did not have time to bottle. I have got to get my kegging setup finished. I hope not to disappoint.

In the Box

Single Hop Pale Ale(ZD Clone) ~6.17ABV[/COLOR] I used a total of 9oz Citra in this beer. It is my second brew ever. I will brew this again, I have gotten positive feedback from others. Hope you like Citra hops.

Apricot Blonde Ale ~5.1ABV This is my fourth batch. I was sent Dry Dock's Apricot blonde , and loved it. I found a similar recipe and brewed it. I racked into secondary on top of a fresh apricot puree. I added a bottle of apricot extract at bottling. This came out a bit tart, but has toned down as it has aged.

Vanilla Orange Cream Ale ~5.2 ABV This is my third batch. It is an extract kit from Jasper's. I am mixed on this one. There was initially an issue with conditioning, another member was having the same issue with the same kit around the same time frame as me. I was able to shake the bottles and get them to carb up.

I also threw in some craft beer not found in his area. I have 3 batches waiting to be bottled, or I may just wait and get my kegging setup.

Oh, what the hell, I shouldn't just disappoint myself with my homebrew.

Package arrived safe & sound!!

You really outdid yourself with the hydrometer.
I havnt figured out how to upload pics as the HBT app no longer works on my phone, but as soon as I do I will post pics.
I'm gonna get started on them this weekend & will post back with results.
Been wanting to try apfelwein!!!

Thank You
Kc

image.jpg

Just got my package from marckw. Love the extra gift. Might have to use it tonight on some chicken
View attachment 242438

Old Bay, man I love Old Bay. I don't know if they ever sold it back in CA because it wasn't a big deal until I moved to the East Coast. I put that **** on a lot of stuff, even popcorn. Delicious. Cape Code has an old bay chip which isn't called Old Bay, but they're delicious. UTZ makes old bay chips and calls them as such, but they use about 100x more Old Bay than necessary making for difficult eating due to sheer spice overload.
Great boxes so far.

The end.

Having a few beers from campbellmike

ZD clone. This one tastey. It was under carbed and might be a little old. The hops did not pop like in ZD. Might add more hops to counter act the malt or it was just an older brew and the gips faded. No off flavors

Pumpkin. Undercarbed a bit. Nice chocolate and spice. Maybe a little oxidized from the fill. It was a low fill.

Again. I enjoyed your brews neither-the-less. No production off flavors i can detect. Just practice and tweak recipes as you brew. Well done

Having a few beers from campbellmike
ZD clone. This one tastey. It was under carbed and might be a little old. The hops did not pop like in ZD. Might add more hops to counter act the malt or it was just an older brew and the gips faded. No off flavors
Pumpkin. Undercarbed a bit. Nice chocolate and spice. Maybe a little oxidized from the fill. It was a low fill.
Again. I enjoyed your brews neither-the-less. No production off flavors i can detect. Just practice and tweak recipes as you brew. Well done

Thanks! The first IPA you tried earlier and the ZD have lost their hop punch. Both were brewed some time ago. This is my first attempt at bottling from kegs and my method was much less than optimum. I need to work on that process. I really appreciate your comments.

@DisturbdChemist

Just got my haul. Very excited to try these out. I'm going to stick them in the fridge for a few days beforehand but I can't wait. Thanks for such a generous set up.

Geez... being from Texas and sending the Whataburger sauces.. brilliant.. why didn't I think of that!

@DisturbdChemist

Just got my haul. Very excited to try these out. I'm going to stick them in the fridge for a few days beforehand but I can't wait. Thanks for such a generous set up.

Glad everyone made it. Whataburger is king of fast food here. Damn them for puting their sauces in stores. So damn good!

Enjoy!

Dude, I am SO sorry. NO DUMPING HERE!
I have had a sick one year old, and momma just got home today.
I will post later once my helper goes to bed.

No worries, was just starting to think you were on a diet maybe and only drank on weekends or something lol. Hope the kid feels better and you have time for a brew.

Finally getting around to posting some comments....been one hell of week. Figured I would pop the next in the series and get this done.

Here is what I have had so far along with some pics. Even got to have some on brew day (Belgian Pale) this weekend so there is some keggle in a shot.....thought it was fitting.

Robling porter - amazing. *Rich and dark, not much on the nose although there is some malt depth resent. *Very chocolate and vanilla forward with an amazing roast character. *This might be the perfect desert beer. *I will say that the carbonation felt a touch low.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418875775.380836.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418875795.588684.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418875830.495348.jpg By the time I took the picture the head was already dissapearing.

HB Wet hop cascade. Full hop aroma, very floral. *Definitely not clear, but of course I am drinking it 20 minutes after unpacking it. Good beer, there is no missing that grapefruity hoppiness. *The head was nice stuck around for a bit.*

Great Lakes winter ale. *Nice head that persists . Light copper color, good carbonation. *Very spiced flavor. Floral notes perhaps. *Maybe some honey notes.

HB Strawberry Blonde - super cloudy without much head to speak of. *Tastes sour, more like a Berliner on fruit than a blonde, although I couldn't tell you the last time that I had a blonde. *The strawberry defenetly takes a back seat on this. *It is there, but faintly. *No hop aroma or flavor to speak of. *Unfortunately not one I would write home about, but greatly appreciate any HB that is sent my way.

Punkin - not much head going on, but has a really nice nose. *I get the pumpkin and light spicing, but find that there is a little residual sweetness that throws the malt balance out. *I might either have mashed a little lower to dry it out a bit more or gone heavier on the spicing to better stand up against it. *The notes indicate 156 on the mash so I think there is some room there, maybe 152ish. *I think the hallertaur makes a nice addition and is balanced nicely taking a backseat to the spices but providing that touch of bitterness so you know it is beer. *The flavors are really nicely present and the moth feel is full and nice, so keeping that while dropping the residual sweetness would make it sing in my opinion.

Looking forward to the rest!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418875663.581974.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418875720.870830.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418875898.743790.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418875775.380836.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418875795.588684.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418875830.495348.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418875964.157576.jpg

Ok, Apologies to poptart... this has been a hell of a week, sounds like there is a lot of that going around.
First off, these are the first HB I have had that were not mine, so this is all very exciting.
Second, this entire box is pretty much out of the norm for me, which is awesome!
I have never had skeeter pee or mead, I got 2 of each!
I don't usually do a lot of big beers, I think 7.2% was the only one below 10%! just all around crazy!
Obviously, I'm going to have to space these out...

Berry Skeeter Pee
nice berry aroma - has a tart berry bite, has a little alcohol bite, but only enough that you know it's there.
Pretty good, not an everyday drinker for me, but great change of pace, and SWMBO really liked it...

Mad Elf v1 - **disclaimer**
I have never had a mad elf, I have read the name a few times in the MAW threads, but now I want to try the original as well.
This is a big boozy beer! Strong malty backbone, this may have made the hops seem weaker than they were, not sure.
Very little hop aroma, if any. not sure if that is per the original or not.
Good beer, definitely not sessionable!

Hoptarts
beautiful red color-slight hop aroma-thick full head
This beer has a big full flavor, bittering hops match up pretty well, I feel it could use more aroma hops, but that's just me.
Drinking it, you don't realize it's 10%.
Wish there were 2 of these, good beer

Just cracked open the Cigar City Madura. They live up to the reputation. Good color and clarity for a brown. Good head formed and stuck around for a little while. The mouthfeel was medium full, not cloying just in your face rich. Not getting much on the nose. There is a great roasty note that really makes me want to go back to my own brown recipe and crank up the roast. All in all a really solid beer and one of the better browns that I have had.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418880281.021267.jpg

@DisturbdChemist

Damn those whataburger sauces! I want to bathe my chicken tenders and fries in them.

I feel bad that 98% of my box is commercial beer. I feel like a dick but I didn't have a ton on hand. Hope bford can survive that.

Finished the Madura and moving right along to a Homebrewed Graff that Jakesaur sent. This is great. I have not had a Graff so I had to look up the style. Typically I am really not a huge cider fan. Some examples can be good, but just not my first choice. I really like it. Light and fruity with a buttering bite that just is delicious. Somewhat clear, not brilliant, but somewhere in the middle, clean slightly fruity nose. I want this recipe. View attachment 242583View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418883515.954659.jpg

I'm waiting to drink mine until this strep/flu/plague goes away. I pulled a glass of my wheat beer last night and it tasted like swamp water so I'm pretty sure my tongue is still on the fritz.

But I did have a little sip of some peach something something that seemed to be good medicine.

Damn those whataburger sauces! I want to bathe my chicken tenders and fries in them.

I feel bad that 98% of my box is commercial beer. I feel like a dick but I didn't have a ton on hand. Hope bford can survive that.

I'm going to be just fine thank you! Box arrived today...everything arrived in great shape!

First the pics... the homebrews!

Some North Carolina Bombers

More NC Bombers and two Midwest cans!

I haven't had any of these commercial beers... so I'm very excited to get to try them.... new homebrew... new craft beer... it all makes me happy. I'll fridge all of these up and let em retemp for a day.

Going to a big Christmas party tomorrow night... I'm going to take all of the IPA's with me to share with a couple other IPA lovers...

Probably take one of each of the homebrew also.. along with some of mine.

You were worried you didn't send enough homebrew.. ha.. I'm worried I sent to much at five bottles of different brews....I'm only a bit over a year into the game, so while I have liked them, I have no idea what other brewers will think! I did send three commercial craft beers also....

Cheers and thanks for this wonderful bounty.

(side note: Next time I got into the EZ Emaw I was going to just ask for beers from North and South Carolina as I haven't had any craft from there... well that is about to change!)

I'm going to be just fine thank you! Box arrived today...everything arrived in great shape!

First the pics... the homebrews!

Some North Carolina Bombers

More NC Bombers and two Midwest cans!

I haven't had any of these commercial beers... so I'm very excited to get to try them.... new homebrew... new craft beer... it all makes me happy. I'll fridge all of these up and let em retemp for a day.

Going to a big Christmas party tomorrow night... I'm going to take all of the IPA's with me to share with a couple other IPA lovers...

Probably take one of each of the homebrew also.. along with some of mine.

You were worried you didn't send enough homebrew.. ha.. I'm worried I sent to much at five bottles of different brews....I'm only a bit over a year into the game, so while I have liked them, I have no idea what other brewers will think! I did send three commercial craft beers also....

Cheers and thanks for this wonderful bounty.

(side note: Next time I got into the EZ Emaw I was going to just ask for beers from North and South Carolina as I haven't had any craft from there... well that is about to change!)

Awesome! So glad they were all safe. I know that box was massive. Hah

Okay...all I can say is duuuuuddddeeee @eatmorefrogs. Holy mother of lord. I do need to know what home brews you sent and is that wine?! I'm never leaving the house. And Spencer Trappist? Goly macaroni!

Thank you so dang much.

Home brew and probably wine:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418958617.403446.jpg

Commercial:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418958634.008875.jpg

And while these chill, I'll paint a room and this is only 1/2 of it.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418958663.172431.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418959193.685640.jpg

Haul from @JohnnyHitch1. Pretty stoked. I was scared at first because when I opened the bag, everything was pretty wet. Lost about half of the traditional mead, but no breakage.

4 mead varieties
3 apfelwein varieties
3 beers (pumpkin, BA maple porter, and 100% Brett)
And the 2 cans.

Thanks for everything! Any suggestions on where to start?

Oh, and I'll probably use those hooks you put in the noisemaker too, haha.

@hello

haha, I'll type up full descriptions asap, sorry about that.

Wine is a cab merlot blend.
PP = Pecan porter
ALA = American Light Ale (that one needs some explaining)
IPA = IPA
MSA = Maple Syrup Ale

On the commercial brews I tried to pick regional beers that didn't have much distribution out of the area and that you probably didn't get in a previous swap.

The tape.....In a gross overestimation when painting, I bought the "contractors pack" and I'm still working on it years later.

@Hello
For the homebrew you should find abbreviations on the caps. The bottles were filled from kegs on Monday night so you shouldn't get sediment if you want to drink from the bottle.

Pecan Porter (PP) - Just a basic porter recipe that was secondaried on top of some oven roasted, crushed pecans. I've been serving this on nitro, it's a totally different beer on nitro. I bled off the keg and beer gunned it into the bottle, but because it's been on nitro for so long maybe, just maybe, you'll get a hint of the nitro.

American Light Ale (ALA) - This is a franken-recipe. When making the switch from extract to all grain, that was whatever extra stuff was left on the shelf. It's a fairly easy drinker. I forgot irish moss so it's cloudy. If we're in the safety tree of honesty, it's so "eh" that I almost didn't send it, but I decided to pad the numbers. :) It's not that it's bad, it's just boring. I'm really selling it, aren't I?

Cab-merlot blend - Dry and medium bodied. My favorite of all time. Hope you like reds. This particular batch was bottled February 2013 and it's really hit it's stride.

IPA (IPA) - House recipe from my LHBS. They call it the "Century old explorer" due to Centenial and Columbus Hops. I doubled the recipe and dry hopped with Amarillo. I suppose that technically makes it a DIPA.

Maple Syrup Ale (MSA) - A taste of New England. It's a dark red ale with maple syrup added late in the boil and again in secondary. I made it last year with only a cup and a half of maple syrup and thought it was too weak. This year I did 36 ounces. The maple syrup really hits you in your face. It might foam a bit, watch out. I won't judge you if you make pancakes and drink this with breakfast.

Pretty Things Meadowlark - Depending on how much you follow craft brew news, you might have caught wind recently of the owner of this brewery on a late night drunken tweet binge about corruption in purchasing tap lines. I honestly hadn't heard of them before that, but ever since I've been working through their beers. I haven't run into any that have been less than awesome.

Opa-Opa - Around here these guys mostly just sell growlers directly to the local stores. Given that a growler is $7 + $2.50 deposit and readily available everywhere, this is one of my go-to breweries for both a steady stream of growlers and fresh craft beer.

Spencer Trappist - Probably self explanatory why I included it. It's the only real Trappist beer brewed in America and it's not widely distributed yet.

Smoke and Dagger - Jacks Abbey is one of our local up-and-comers. This is one of their more widely distributed beers. What's neat about these guys is that they only do lagers. I also think they do "smoke" very well. They've got a good sense of how much smoke is the right amount of smoke (unlike me and maple.)

@eatmorefrogs awesome! I've never had home made wine. I am fully stoked about everything, even the painter's tape that I'll reuse...hence sticking it to a wall. :D It took me while to get everything opened. It felt like the Mary Poppins Bag of beer boxes. Every time I thought I was done I'd get another bottle. Good work and thank you again.

First off don't judge I work nights. Drinking RussPDX's nut brown. Just what I want from a nut brown. Clear. Good carb. A little roast up front. Malty in the middle and a semi dry finish. Sorry not very good at tasting notes but I went back for a second one and I'm glad he sent three or I should say my brew partner will be when I share it with him this weekend

View attachment 1418998243207.jpg

On to the next beer sent from RussPDX. Your call. He states "every so often you brew beer that just does not come out anything like what you expected". Been there. dumped a few drank a few. This definitely falls in the drink a few. Clear and brilliant red when held up to the light. Tastes like an Irish red to me. Amber malt in the nose. Definitely taste the crystal malt. Nice bitterness to balance it out. I'm actually really interested to see what he was going for here as it is a damn tasty brew.

View attachment 1419000535550.jpg

Back