Not-So-Obnoxious Baseball Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else notice that every team in MLB will be playing baseball in October 2015? We will have a WS game on Halloween night, and baseball could be played in November.

Don't worry angels the off-season is sitting here waiting for you to join the rest.

Royals in the ALCS! What's weird is that the Cardinals advanced also, setting up a possible replay of the 1985 W.S. teams. How cool is that... if you're a Royals' fan pretty freakin' cool!!

I'm sitting here in withdrawal symptoms. No baseball for the next 3 days. This is worse than the All Star break.

ESPN just flashed a stat that KC has 10 straight playoff wins dating back to 1985.

????

Isn't that just a way of saying that they've sucked for the past 29 years but not having it sound that way?
Useless stat, They are 7-0 this year. A much better stat. I thought they looked a little tight tonight for the 1st time in these playoffs. 29 years means nothing IMO a lot of current players were not in kindergarten or born yet. Go AL Central

7-0 this year means that they were 3-0 in 1985 and have stink the joint out since then.

On a related note it was nice to see George Brett throw out the first pitch without any apparent problems from his hemmoroids. Being a health care provider I've always wondered about the state of George's arse. How bad do your 'roids have to be to have Joe Buck discussing them on national TV?

7-0 this year means that they were 3-0 in 1985 and have stink the joint out since then.

On a related note it was nice to see George Brett throw out the first pitch without any apparent problems from his hemmoroids. Being a health care provider I've always wondered about the state of George's arse. How bad do your 'roids have to be to have Joe Buck discussing them on national TV?

It's 8-0 or 11-0 however you look at it. I really don't understand the fixation with 1985 or how the last 29 years have gone. Stinking up the joint? Have you watched the last few years of KC baseball? You could see it coming. Even though it was always a rebuilding team you could see some parts coming together. I thought KC would have a chance win the division this year but that would have been rooting against my Tigers. It's 2014. How does a team from 30 years ago compare to today? Compare KC against Cleveland who I think no one ever gave a chance to win anything even though they took a shot last year.

Not only did Travis Ishikawa just blast the Giants into the World Series, but I think he just helped Bruce Bochy punch his ticket to the Hall.

Epstein and now Maddon. Not effing around, looks like the organization woke up and is ready quit resting on false laurels. Good for them

Now that we have hit the post season. Time for awards discussion.

I'll hit all of the awards I've got an opinion on.

AL MVP - Mike Trout (should be a given)
NL MVP - Andrew McCutchen (should also be a given, but Kershaw may steal it as a pitcher, he shoudln't)
AL Cy - Felix Hernandez - Only other one in the discussion is Kluber,
NL Cy - Clayton Kershaw - An absolute given
AL MOY - Buck Showalter - Hard to say in the AL, lots of options.
NL MOY - Bochy - Should be an absolute slam dunk
AL ROY - Jose Abreu - Don't see another challenger in the field.
NL ROY - Josh DeGrom - Weak field.

AL GG
C - Salvador Perez
1B - Pujols
2B - Pedroia
3B - Josh Donaldson
SS - JJ Hardy
OF - Lorenzo Cain, Jackie Bradley Jr., Leonys Martin
Pitcher doesn't matter

NL GG
C- Jonathan LuCroy
1B - Adrian Gonzalez
2B - Chase Utley (going rep over production)
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Andrelton Simmons
OF - Jason Heyward, Billy Hamilton, Carlos Gomez

AL Silver Slugger

C - Yan Gomes
1B - Jose Abreu
2B - Robinson Cano
3B - Adrian Beltre
SS - Jose Reyes (weak field)
OF - Mike Trout, Joey Bats, Michael Brantley
DH - V-Mart

NL Silver Slugger

C - Buster Posey
1B - Anthony Rizzo
2B - Neil Walker
3B - Josh Harrison
SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - CUtch, Mike Stanton, Puig
P - Bumgarner - Slam dunk, he killed it last year, 4 homers and a respectable average.

I agree that Abreu will get ROY but I just want to throw Matt Shoemaker's name in because he did so epically.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I agree that Abreu will get ROY but I just want to throw Matt Shoemaker's name in because he did so epically.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was also about to say Shoemaker. Highly doubt he'll get ROY over Abreu, but as a diehard Angels fan, Shoemaker was absolutely stellar and the piece that held our rotation together, especially after losing Richards. Easily worth an honorable mention. Fear the beard!

Woo hoo!!! It's finally here. And with the luck the Rangers had last year, and even starting this year, it will be no surprise when Oakland wins their first season opener in 10 years tonight. I'm trying to stay positive, but dammit, it's hard!

Tigers Opening day! I'm only a little excited, as it's only Baseball and the Hockey season is just starting.

I think the Tig's can do well this year, but in all honesty I think they are going to be pushing hard to match last year's numbers. I'm mostly hoping Cabrerra can keep pace and we can get even better at the plate.

Defense should be better this year.

Pitching is where the ?? starts. Verlander is not likely to match his best seasons, but if he can improve from last year, and if we can get some good starts from the other throwers we might do well. But mostly we need some relief pitching, just like we've needed it the past few seasons.

Too bad the game is at 1:00. A nearby brewery is offering a special burger and beer deal and I'd like to take my friend up there, but by the time I get out of work it will be over. And i took a half-day on Friday, so I probably shouldn't take another one today.

While one game does not decide a team, the Cubs organization paid an awful lot for their roster. The least Lester can do is learn to also throw to 1st base. Last night's game was a serious **** show. I think the jumbotron is throwing things off. :D

They called it Lester Year...I'm thinking not. I still believe the Cubs will show in 2016-2017, that has been my prediction all along.

While one game does not decide a team, the Cubs organization paid an awful lot for their roster. The least Lester can do is learn to also throw to 1st base. Last night's game was a serious **** show. I think the jumbotron is throwing things off. :D

They called it Lester Year...I'm thinking not. I still believe the Cubs will show in 2016-2017, that has been my prediction all along.

Cubs have Joe Maddon as coach this year. He isn't on the field of course, but he made a pretty big difference in the Rays performance.

The cubs new Bench Coach is Dave Martinez, who is a family friend of ours. One of his kids (Jaeger) used to spend a LOT of time at my house, and my son at his. He and Joe are a great team. I hope they make a difference for the ne'er-do-well Cubbies.

@passedpawn I think Maddon will be the one to turn this franchise around. I was excited to hear about his hiring. Lester will come to, I actually believe that. It's only one game and we'll see what happens on Tuesday. It really could be their year, but I truly think Maddon needs a season and then we'll see huge things.

Whatever happens, if the Cubs get even remotely close and we see them playing in October, I think the city would lose their ****. :D

he thing is, Lester has never been one to throw to first. He'll look runners back, and occasionally fake the throw, but especially as a lefty, he's never had a good motion over there.
Even as a Red Sox fan, I do like what the Cubs have done over there (don't tell my sister-in-law; her family is all from South Side Chicago - they're White Sox fans.) Even though it's Red Sox Redux over there - wait, maybe that's part of why I like them...
Seriously, The Cubs have been a couple players away from making a legitimate run at it for a few years now, these moves might be what pushes them over the top.

he thing is, Lester has never been one to throw to first. He'll look runners back, and occasionally fake the throw, but especially as a lefty, he's never had a good motion over there.
Even as a Red Sox fan, I do like what the Cubs have done over there (don't tell my sister-in-law; her family is all from South Side Chicago - they're White Sox fans.) Even though it's Red Sox Redux over there - wait, maybe that's part of why I like them...
Seriously, The Cubs have been a couple players away from making a legitimate run at it for a few years now, these moves might be what pushes them over the top.
You're right about Lester, but I think they can work him enough to get him to turn around a little. Being a lefty though does hinder things a bit. The organization has definitely made some moves that suggest we may even see something this season. I watched yesterday and Arrieta had a handle on the game. I'm pretty excited for this season and I'm pretty happy to see Maddon as the coach.

I thought the Cubs looked a little JV on opening night. I'll get to watch them here in Denver for the Rockies home opener tomorrow. Hope they bring their A-game!

what a strange scene

CDx36KlWYAAqpbW.png

what a strange scene

CDx36KlWYAAqpbW.png
That is so crazy to me.

I've been biting my tongue watching this Josh Hamilton thing. As a Ranger fan, I am pissed. As a baseball fan, I'm disgusted. As an Angel hater, I think it's friggin' hysterical. So the Angels hate him so much, they are willing to pay $68M just to make him go away. And the Rangers are probably going to lose $12M-1$5M on him, but that's chump change at $3M-$5M/year. I would guess he will bring absolutely nothing to the team. But he can't do much worse that the rest of this crappy thing. We need to find a way to get rid of Choo and then let Josh play. What-the-hell! Can't be any worse. That being said, as a Ranger fan, I will cheer for Josh once again, as I did up until he left. BUT, the first game I attend, at which he plays, which should be the Red Sox on 5/30, I plan to boo the living **** out of him. He deserves at least one ass beating for the ass beating he became prior to leaving. I know, I know...he won't hear me, nor will he care, but it will make me feel better. After that game, he will get my cheers back.

Back