Not reaching expected FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BucksBrewer

Reaction score
On my last 15 gallon batch, my OG was 1.040. I used 3 White Labs WLP001 after a 2 step starter- 2L 1.036 and then another 2L 1.036- which brought me to 550 billion cells. After bubbling pretty hardcore for about 3 days, it subsided and completely stopped by day 5. I took a gravity reading and it only fermented out to 1.024. Any thoughts as to why, aside from not enough yeast?

Yeah without knowing your recipe and mash temps any advice would just be a guess

Agree with above. Or possible temp drop causing them to go dormant.
Pitch a pack of dry yeast on top - that has saved a couple of stuck ferments for me, if mash regimen or recipe isn't the cause.

What did you take your reading with? Hydrometer or refractometer?

I don’t see how you could have under pitched with that many cells.

Mashed at 154/155 for 60 minutes.
It's a basic cream ale recipe. Pale ale, vienna, and carapils.
I took readings with both hydrometer and refractometer.

Mashed at 154/155 for 60 minutes.
It's a basic cream ale recipe. Pale ale, vienna, and carapils.
I took readings with both hydrometer and refractometer.

Part of the problem, probably not all of it, is with the mash temperatures. That is very high for a cream ale. I would have mashed at 148 to 150.
For your FG, did you make a correction of the refractometer reading for the presence of alcohol? Did that agree with the hydrometer?

The calculator that I use suggests just 425 billion cells for that gravity and volume so your pitch rate was actually on the high side.

I agree that was an excessive temp for a cream ale - I too would have gone no higher than 150 for the main mash, but that shouldn't give you a 1.024 FG if fully attenuated. Sounds like they just stalled for one reason or another.
Pitch a fresh pack of S-05 on top to restart the fermentation.

How much Carapils? If it were me, I would have dropped out the carapils at that Mash temp. I've been out of brewing for a bit, but if I remember right Carapils is quite as fermentable as other grains, probably not the entire reason, but I would say definitely a contributor. Hate to say it, but I think you threw away some money on that yeast. Probably would have been good with 1 vile and 1 liter starter. Not sure if that much can create pH issues?

I would say that wasn’t excessively high mash temps for a cream ale when using 001 unless your thermometer is screwed.

That yeast should get you pretty low even if you mashed at 160, especially if you’re using US 2 row.

While I agree the mash temp will give a higher FG, being that you started at 1.040, it should be lower than 1.024. What is your fermentation temp? Did it get a little cold at one point?

Latest posts

Back