not filling a keg all the way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluketamer

Reaction score
hi i will be kegging 2.25 gallons of lager this weekend and have a 1.2 gallon and 1.6 gallon keg

if i only fill the small keg about half way and it has alarge amount of headspace (like half the keg) do i have to alter my process at all when i carb due to the really large headspace in the keg

thanks

I underfill kegs, often by a lot, all the time. The beer doesn't care how much room it has to move around -- the only difference is that a larger headspace means more oxygen at packaging if your process doesn't get rid of it effectively.

I just got through cleaning my 1.6G baby-keg and I'm doing the sanitize and purge at the moment...I've got a large Fermonster full of Star San as a resevoir, and I've filled the keg through the liquid post and let it continue pouring out the top while I close the lid with the PRV turned open and a bare disconnect on the gas..letting the star san spill and ensuring near-zero air left inside..as soon as I have the lid seated (while holding it up by the bale) I close the PRV, then pull the gas disconnect off... let it sit a while in case of bubbles, then connect CO2 to the liquid-in and pressurize it while pulling the PRV several times to maximize CO2 bubbles and push any remaining air out... All set to purge.
PS; As to not filling all the way: No big deal as long as you got the air out. :mug:

Back