Not fermenting - Almost 72 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've read the thread before about waiting 24 to 72 hours. Well I am almost at 72 hours and nothing. I do have a bit of an oil slick look on top, not a lot though. (Not sure what that is about) I used Wyeast 2112 for a California Common, should I buy another pack and repitch IF after 72 hours nothing takes off? Just wondering because I'll be down by my lhbs today....

Have you taken a hydrometer reading yet? After 72 hours Do that first.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in.....

Repitching, or doing anything else befor taking a hydrometer reading is tantamount to the same thing...

By another vial just in case. You can always use it for your next brew. Are you fermenting in a bucket or carboy? Are you judging this based on airlock activity alone? Take a quick hydro reading to see if the SG has dropped since you pitched.

It is in a carboy...Actually just looking in no sign of krescent. Also, I did briefly look at the air lock and saw nothing, but I know that is never a sure sign. Anythoughts on the slight oil slick? That wouldn't be an infection would it?

It is in a carboy...Actually just looking in no sign of krescent. Also, I did briefly look at the air lock and saw nothing, but I know that is never a sure sign. Anythoughts on the slight oil slick? That wouldn't be an infection would it?

INFECTIONS WILL NOT TAKE HOLD THAT SOON..

But read what I linked to...

That "slick" either the beginning which is starting to be built right now or the end of a krauzen ....And only your hydrometer can tell you at which phase of the process you are at.

You could have had a fast ferment, or in 72 hours you will have a krausen...but again, only the hydrometer will truly tell you. :mug:

Revy - I got what you said, def. good advice, and I plan on using a hydrometer. I was just responding to that one guys particular question about airlock and what the brew was in. Thanks for the help guys! I'll let you know when I take a hydro.

Yeah, visual cues can be rellay decieving especially just starting out.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because we don't see anything happenning, doesn't mean that anything's wrong, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working dilligantly away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years....

People with buckets usually only try to go by airlock bubbling, but Airlock bubbling, lack of airlock bubbling, stopped airlock bubbling, fast airlock bubbling, slow airlcok bubbling, heavy metal airlcok bubbling, or disco airlock bubbling really is not an indicator of what is happening to your beer. It is NOT a fermentation gauge, it is a valve to release excess pressure, excess CO2.

An as you can see from your craboy situaltion, even that is not necessarily a good "sign of fermentation."

Even if you have a couple point drop in gravity, it means it's working....Just at it's own pace.
More than likely everythign is fine....yeasts are not like they were when most books were written...they are much stronger than that these days. It's really rare for yest you buy to be "dead" or not working...and unless you put it in boiling wort, they take off on their own.

Keep us posted...:mug:

A healthy smackpack that was already bloated before pitching into your beer should be busy by now.

Is it possible that you pitched into a hot wort? Are you fairly certain that your mash resulted in starch conversion (iodine test?).

If nothing happens within the next 24, I would pitch new yeast. I would also shake the crap out of the carboy to oxygenate it.

I'll throw my support behing Yooper on this one. Please tell me you took a hydrometer reading when you pitched your yeast. If so, check it now and see if if there is activity.

If you didn't take one, this is a lesson learned. Take one now, let it sit for a couple days, check again and tell us what the readings are.

In the meantime, read this... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/airlock-doesnt-bubble-125346/

Ok - So yes I did take a hydro reading and it was 1.052. Haven't done a second yet, I'm at work now, probably will tomorrow if when I get home there is still no visual signs.

As for the smak pack - well I got it ready right before I brewed so probably gave it 2 hours before pitching and honestly it was not very swollen, but I didn't think much of it. I did not pitch to hot. The floating thermomter read 75 when I began to siphon, and then I topped of with refrigerated bottled water about 2g. The carboy temp according to the sticky thermometer read 65 at pitch.

Well check gravity, exact same, 1.052. Tasted hydro sample, tasted the same as when before I pitched. Here is the picture, the top had basicaly nothing on top, but then when I moved the primary to get my sample it stered everything up and this junk came up....Looks like tofu. Is this an infection or bad yeast? Can I salvage this brew?

I would say, give it another 48 hours. As someone has said, infection doesn't get that bad that quickly, and while I've never used a smack-pack, I understand that they take appreciably longer than dry yeast to get hold of the sugars.

At 1.052, I think you *should* have enough fermentables (but never say never). I'd say it's an issue with timing. You may wish to get another batch of yeast for your next brew early, though, just in case the smack-pack was expired.

Is re-pitching at this point an option?

Absolutely. I always keep a few different strains of dry ale yeast in the fridge, so I'd grab one and pitch it now. The problem is that Wyeast 2112 doesn't come in a dry strain. So, either you will have a different beer, or you can buy some fresh yeast and make a starter and pitch it tomorrow.

Absolutely. I always keep a few different strains of dry ale yeast in the fridge, so I'd grab one and pitch it now. The problem is that Wyeast 2112 doesn't come in a dry strain. So, either you will have a different beer, or you can buy some fresh yeast and make a starter and pitch it tomorrow.

Ok so aparently, moving the carboy around shook the yeast enough to get them started. However, it is the smallest krescent I have ever seen. Should I ride it out? My only fear now is that the yeast won't finish and I'll end with a high FG. I think this smack pack was probably old....I am making a starter on everything now, smack pack or not.

Get some dry yeast (if you haven't yet), keep it handy. Then watch and wait. If you've got krausen now, you've got activity. Whether it's enough or not - only your hydrometer can tell you for sure. If your final gravity is way high, then toss in the dry and give it another week or so.

good luck, report back!

That picture is the yeast doing it's job. It won't look the same as the typical ale yeast, because you're using a bottom-fermenting lager strain.

Just wanted to provide an update....I guess moving it around to grab the hydro sample did the trick. It is fermenting with a nice inch to 2 inch krescent. THanks for the help guys.

Back