Not Carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeramI

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm an intermediate homebrewer and I'm having a hard time getting a version of fatboy amber ale carbonated. I've been able to get my other beers carbonated after about 4 days at 12 psi, at 50 degrees. Do some beers take longer? I've cranked it up to 22 psi and see no leaks. I'll try leaving it at 22 psi for a day or so. Any tips. Thanks

At 50 degrees, I'm surprised you normally get carbonation in just a few days at 12 psi. Normally, you'd need two weeks at 18 psi for carbonation. If you leave it at 18 psi, it should be pretty good in 10-14 days.

Carbonation is time, pressure, and temperature dependent. For my system, which is 40 degrees and 12 psi, it takes about ten days to two weeks to get carbonation.

Here's a chart on how to set your pressure to account for temperature and desired carbonation level (you want to have it set in the green area): http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

I'll try that. I have to go away for work and will be gone about 30 days. Should I keep it lower than 18 if it won't be touched for 30 days?

I'll try that. I have to go away for work and will be gone about 30 days. Should I keep it lower than 18 if it won't be touched for 30 days?

No, because that is the pressure needed to carb it up. If it's not carbed up by the time you leave, you should keep the pressure on unless you're worried you have a leak somewhere.

Back