Not as impressed with third brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnr

Up your IBU!
Reaction score
I was thinking I was doing well. Now I wish I'd done X, Y & Z to this before bottling.
...and I have 30 bottles.
It's not bad, but I wish I would've built my malt profile more. GDMFing hindsight.
I thought it was going to be great before carbonating. Super juicy. I used Centennial and Northern Brewer's hops for flavor and aroma, even a little bit of a mojito aftertaste.

Meh...
Just posting to say I am fallible!

Haha. We've all been there. I have yet to completely toss a creation, but I have come close a couple of times. Ironically enough, it wasn't due to poor sanitation, infection, etc. They just didn't taste anything like I was planning/hoping. Still make me feel warm and fuzzy when I have a couple...I just know to table that recipe in the future and try a new one.

I don't hate the beer. I just thought after brewing a beer with 7 year old LME, then a SMASH with Pilsen malt and high AA hops with little flavor or aroma...
I was like, I'm gonna design this beer with 5 hop additions, using 3 hops, serving 3 purposes.
A little steeping grain can go a long way.
And I've also noticed the yeast is a much bigger factor than I realized. It's a noticable nuance in all my beer. That will be adjusted, also.

Trust me, you are just scratching the surface of learning all the ways to screw up a beer. :mug:
My 43rd batch, 10 gallons of a recipe I've done a few times, was just sent down the drain due to a mishap experimenting with yeast nutrient.

If you ended up with drinkable beer that you don't hate, call it a win.
If you are using standard newbie equipment with priming sugar and a bottling bucket, your ability to make hoppy beers where the flavor/aroma hops really pop is going to be compromised and there is little you can do about it. Usually it is the indian and not the arrow, but in this case, if great hoppy beers are your goal, you should look into a pressurizable fermenter and kegging as soon as you can, as you will never do it without proper oxygen denial.
Good luck.

My first brew ever was the smoothest so far out of 7 batches. After the first, series of mistakes began popping up and turning beers into something I didn't expect. Right now I have an oatmeal stout in my new Spike conical and I do think it is my best yet and went pretty smooth overall. Going to add some coffee to the bottling bucket this weekend and let it age for 4+ months.

My recent centennial blonde did not turn out at all how I expected. Pretty strong and it's cloudy compared to most people's on here. However I didn't have the ability to cold crash yet when I made it.

Back