Northern Brewers Brickwarmer Holiday Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
I plan on brewing the brickwarmer red this weekend. Has anyone else brewed this, if so, did you do secondary fermentation? I have brewed several kits now, and have left all of them in primary for at least two weeks, before transferring to a keg. I was just wandering if there would be any benefit of doing secondary on this. I have read several of the posts on here and it seems like secondary really isn't needed. I have not done a brew with secondary, and they have all been good, but the instructions say to transfer to secondary after two weeks. I was planning on leaving in the fermenter for three to four weeks and then keg. Any suggestions would be welcomed, thanks.

I haven't brewed that particular beer, but I've checked out the recipe. In my opinion, a secondary fermentation isn't really needed on that beer. I've only used a secondary for aging an imperial stout. I've always just felt its more trouble than its worth unless you're adding things like fruit or coffee or whatever. So if it were me I'd skip the secondary.

I would go 3-4 weeks in the primary then straight to keg. Check the gravity before transferring. It may not be done after 3 weeks or 4 even.

How did brew day go? I'm also looking to possibly brew this one as the description sounds amazing! I've been looking for a wintery/christmas type ale to brew real soon.

I just brewed this doing BIAB last night. Hit the OG spot on at 1.062 and it looked and smelled great! Used the Wyeast 1028 and my airlock is bubbling away this morning.

I added the orange peel to my boil at 10 minutes in a hop sack and removed them when I racked to the fermentor. I was just wondering if anyone kept the orange peel in the primary or if steeping them in the boil for 10 minutes and then on into cooling the wort would be enough?

Also, does anyone have an idea of what the FG for this beer should be? I've seen anywhere from 1.012 to 1.018. I'm guessing anything within that range would be pretty good.

I am planning on letting this ride for 3 weeks in primary and then bottling depending on my FG readings. I will update on how this brew turns out...

I just racked it to a secondary (mostly to clarify more) and my FG was at 1.014. I'll leave there for a week and then I'm going to try to keg for my first time. It's rushing it a bit but I want to be sure that I have some in time for the holidays.

I had similar questions. I left my orange peel in the primary, but I did remove the cinnamon sticks I had used. I haven't tried it yet so I don't have a verdict. Good luck!

I had similar questions. I left my orange peel in the primary, but I did remove the cinnamon sticks I had used. I haven't tried it yet so I don't have a verdict. Good luck!

I didn't use cinnamon sticks in mine but I'm thinking I might just leave the orange peel in the primary the next time I brew this depending on how my current batch turns out. Still got a week and a half before bottline...

I think I effed up. The instructions called for the orange peel at the end of boil, so I added them at about 1 minute. I then strained them when I added wort to fermenter. Any thoughts?

I think I effed up. The instructions called for the orange peel at the end of boil, so I added them at about 1 minute. I then strained them when I added wort to fermenter. Any thoughts?

I'd say you have nothing to worry about. I added my orange peel with about 10 minutes left in the boil and removed it when I racked to my fermentor and mine turned out great. Very smoot beer with a chocolaty taste along with a hint of citruisyness. I was hoping for a more citruisy taste so I might just leave my orange peel in the primary next time I brew this, but it was pretty damn good as is also!

Back