Northern Brewer Replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If, say, the devout christian chooses to no longer patronize a store because new ownership is decidedly non-christian and NOTHING else has changed, yes, I call that absurd.

Isn't it nice to live in a country where people can support any business that they choose to, even if others thinks that personal choice is absurd?

Dude, here's the thing, obviously everyone has their own opinion. Some of the members here have been sharing theirs regarding NB/Midwest's new ownership. From what I've read on this thread, no one is suggesting that you, or anyone else not buy stuff from NB/Midwest. When it comes right down to it, it's your choice, it's your money. Regardless of whether you earned it, or got it as a hand out from the government. No one, but no one, really cares where you spend your money. Why should you care where anyone else spends theirs?

Isn't it nice to live in a country where people can support any business that they choose to, even if others thinks that personal choice is absurd?

Dude, here's the thing, obviously everyone has their own opinion. Some of the members here have been sharing theirs regarding NB/Midwest's new ownership. From what I've read on this thread, no one is suggesting that you, or anyone else not buy stuff from NB/Midwest. When it comes right down to it, it's your choice, it's your money. Regardless of whether you earned it, or got it as a hand out from the government. No one, but no one, really cares where you spend your money. Why should you care where anyone else spends theirs?

Ahhh, I see it now. It is okay to have an opinion, just so long as it conforms with the majority. Merica! bless yeah.

I for one, will continue to view taking pride in potentially forcing thousands of Americans into unemployment, for THIS reason, as absurd.

I contend it is NOT the same. Everything changed the moment ownership changed and they lost my business as a consequence of that major change.

So you no longer purchase/enjoy Goose Island, Lagunitas, or Ballast Point beers?

All this talk seems like one big exercise in cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

So you no longer purchase/enjoy Goose Island, Lagunitas, or Ballast Point beers?

All this talk seems like one big exercise in cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

Nope. I drank Goose Island products years ago, and spent much time in the restaurant/lounge at the brewery, but stopped as soon as they sold out.

Was never into Lagunitas or Ballast Point.

Don't you see? It's one thing to buy chinese manufactured equipment and imported malts/hops so long as it's an American company selling it. Because, you know, all that money stays American. ;)

Nope. I drank Goose Island products years ago, and spent much time in the restaurant/lounge at the brewery, but stopped as soon as they sold out.

Was never into Lagunitas or Ballast Point.

Did you shop at Northern Brewer after they "sold out" the first time? Or did you wait until this time?

Don't you see? It's one thing to buy chinese manufactured equipment and imported malts/hops so long as it's an American company selling it. Because, you know, all that money stays American. ;)

Ah, so the illusion of independence is required so as to maintain the ability to act superior to those who drink "swill"/are not homebrewers. Gotcha.

Funny thing, Goose Island, Lagunitas, and Ballast Point beers still taste good. :mug:

You're assuming those employees won't lose their jobs precisely BECAUSE they've been bought by a conglomerate. Besides, this takeover is not good for the industry, just a grab by a big, overseas corporation IMHO.

Ahhh, I see it now. It is okay to have an opinion, just so long as it conforms with the majority. Merica! bless yeah.

I for one, will continue to view taking pride in potentially forcing thousands of Americans into unemployment, for THIS reason, as absurd.

When a president loses an election his 100s of not 1000s of his staff and appointees lose their jobs as a result. Do you always vote for the incumbent?

You're assuming those employees won't lose their jobs precisely BECAUSE they've been bought by a conglomerate. Besides, this takeover is not good for the industry, just a grab by a big, overseas corporation IMHO.

And why isn't the takeover good for the industry?

When a president loses an election his 100s of not 1000s of his staff and appointees lose their jobs as a result. Do you always vote for the incumbent?

Hmm. Depends. Did the incumbent pay taxes while drinking Bud Light?

Do you always compare Palm Trees to Porcupines?

Did you shop at Northern Brewer after they "sold out" the first time? Or did you wait until this time?

Northern Brewer never "sold out" before now.

They did acquire Midwestern, though, but Farley has never sold the company out before.

You might be talking about Stubby's Texas Brewing Inc. Not sure. I shop there in person (so I've never ordered online) but they have just about everything you could want. Extremely knowledgeable as well.

https://www.txbrewing.com/

I love this shop because you can order specialty grains by the ounce, and organized grain bills into recipes. They ship very fast, and I seem to get stuff very quickly, considering that it's coming to me in PA from TX.

I'll agree it has the potential to be bad. I just think it's better to wait on throwing out the baby until you know it's **** the bathwater.

I also agree it has the potential to be bad, as well as the potential to be good or neutral. However, that's not what he said.

I think we should all just go back to horse draw buggies. That damn disruptive growth strategy known as the automobile is sure to fail...

Now you're making absolutely no sense whatsoever in your arguments. That's not even an analogy to the arguments presented by those who will never do business with NB/Midwestern.

What you are doing is presenting a "straw man" that you built up out of nothing so you could knock it down.

Why is everyone up in arms about this? NB/Midwest. as I understand it, will still maintain their general structure. I'm sure there will be new products available eventually, but I just don't see the huge problem.

It's not like they're going to start selling only kits to make Budweiser, et al. I feel like it could only help in getting new ingredients, products, etc. What am I missing?

Now you're making absolutely no sense whatsoever in your arguments. That's not even an analogy to the arguments presented by those who will never do business with NB/Midwestern.

What you are doing is presenting a "straw man" that you built up out of nothing so you could knock it down.

Not entirely. I'd agree it is unlikely but, this venture does have the potential for marketing innovations in brewing directly to a target demographic.

Not entirely. I'd agree it is unlikely but, this venture does have the potential for marketing innovations in brewing directly to a target demographic.

I see zero chance of any innovation coming out of the deal.

I have no stance. PKU. ;)

You've been railing against people who refuse to do business with NB for several pages now. Of course you have a stance.

Here you all go. ;)

General Description of Beer: Budweiser Clone Recipe

Batch Size:5 gallon Boil Time:90 minutes
Grains and Malts: lbs:
American 2-row 3
American 6-row 2
American Flaked Rice 2
Hops: oz Addition Time:
Hallertau Hersbrucker 0.5 60 minutes (boil)
Hallertau Hersbrucker 1 5 minutes (boil)
Mashing Schedule:

Step Temperature Step Time
149 90 minutes
175 10 minutes

Mash pH Calculator

Additional Ingredients:

Others: Addition Amount: Addition Timing:
Whirfloc Tablet 1 tablet 10 minutes (boil)
Yeast Nutrient per supplier 10 minutes (boil)
Critical Brewing Targets:
Original Gravity: 1.03
Final Gravity: 1.002

Mash Efficiency: 75%
Alc By Vol Estimate: 4.2%
Color Target (SRM): 2
Carbonation Method (sugar primed or kegged): Kegged
Carbonation Volumes: 3

Carbonation Calculator
Alcohol ABV, ABW, Attentuaion, and Calorie Calculator

Fermenation:
Yeast Brand: White Labs
Yeast Name: American Lager
Yeast #: WLP840
Yeast Starter: Yes
Aeration: Oxygenate 20 seconds with stone

Stage: Temp °F: Days:
Stage 1 53 14
Stage 2 55 14
Stage 3 57 14

Yeast Pitching Rate Calculator
Yeast Strain Database
Comments From the Brewer:
This is a true lager so it will need a starter or more yeast for it to ferment as it should. Stage three of the fermentation is not a transfer to third fermentor, it is only a temperature change. It also wouldnt hurt to chill the batch down to 32F following fermentation for 5 days to settle out the yeast.

And yes, buy the ingredients from either Northwestern or MidWest.

So looking for opinions in whi will be your online supplier for those no longer using NB. Some people are not lucky enough to have a local shop to visit. Would love to know who the community frequents that is trusted / reliable. Thanks!

thebrewmentor.com

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to get 50lb bags of 2 row? Specifically Maris otter... I'm not specifically boycotting norther brewer now, but I'd like to keep my business away from inbev as much as possible.

I don't have a local LHBS but I have 2 local micro-breweries that will sell full bags of grain to local home brewers at cost. Your local homebrew club should have all the connections.

Back