Northern Brewer Elevenses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiggleplum

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Will be brewing a partial mash kit here soon, and have a quick question.

Here is the recipe:
2 lbs Maris Otter
0.75 lbs Briess Caramel 60
0.75 lbs Weyermann Oak-Smoked Wheat Malt
0.5 lbs English Brown Malt
0.33 lbs Flaked Oats (See Brewer's Note, below)
0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt

3.15 lbs Northern Brewer Maris Otter malt syrup
0.75 oz German Northern Brewer (60 min)
Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley

Would it be a bad idea to add a bit more hop? Something like Willamette maybe. Any suggestions on when to add, or maybe even dry hop? Or should I just forget the whole idea and make the kit as intended.

Thanks!

You could add a 1/2-1 oz of willamette or EKG in the last 10 minutes, but it looks to be a malty brown ale, i wouldnt over do it.

Well, hop flavor for the Mild Style is low to none, so shooting for the low side you could possibly add a tiny bit of willamette at say last 20 min. Otherwise you are not really getting a mild. And because the gravity of this beer is so low, you are either gonna waste your hops or overdue it, and that can be tricky to get right or risking overpowering all the maltiness. It's John Palmer's recipe, and probably 90% of homebrewers started by using his wisdom.

Then again it is your beer:mug:

I brewed this beer when they first featured it on Brewing TV. The recipe has changed a little, but I loved it. I would highly recommend toasting the oats as the recipe calls for. I've done it with and without and with was better IMO.

As for hops - it's within the English Mild style to have a late hop addition, so you cold go for it. With Willamette I think the later in the boil you go the more hay and woody notes you will get. Dry hopping will also give you those which would work nicely if you put oak cubes in it. EKG is doable as well but you will get more fruity, raisin aromas.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions everyone. I think I will play it safe and make it as intended this time. If I make it again I may tweak it a bit.

Latest posts

Back