Northern Brewer - All Grain Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedBrews

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

NB had a pretty great 2016 sale on AG kits and since I hadn't shopped my next few batches I decided to take the plunge. I know that I was very curious how these would be different from the extract versions I'd bought in the past so I figured I could share what I found.

I ordered four AG Kits for myself and one Extract for my brewing friend:
Kiwi Express
Caribou Slobber
Dead Ringer
Bourbon Barrel Porter

I called ahead to confirm so I was not surprised to see all of the grains for each batch milled together into one bag. This may be a deal breaker for anyone with a smaller system, but for me it is OK. I will adjust up with 2-Row or some DME to offset my BIAB efficiency numbers.

The grains are labeled as "freshly packed" on 1/18/16, which is the same day they left the MN warehouse. Since there is a second label on the inner bag identifying the recipe code, it is not clear that 1/18 is the actual date they milled the grain. It is possible that the inner bags are bulk produced and then pulled/labeled at the time of shipment.

ejcdqWQ.jpg

Each kit was individually double-bagged, but not boxed (as in the extract kits). The hops and recipe sheets were in separate zip-lock bags.

bWFeuuc.jpg

Q080rLd.jpg

Back