Norther Brewer specials (frustration)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fimpster

Reaction score
I've been waiting for NB to put out a sale on their plastic Big Mouth Bubblers. I figured one would be coming this holiday season. Well, today I get an email that they are doing a FREE BMB if you buy two kits. Only problem is all of NB's specials include extract kits! Why oh why won't NB do specials with their AG kits!?

probably because they make more profit from extract...

I thought someone had asked about that before and the general response was so they can cycle through their stock of extract, where as they cycle through their grain stock at a reasonably quick rate.

Still a good deal. I'd just get the cheapest two and brew 10 gallons of beer. It's not that extract taste bad or anything.

My mother saw this sale because I told her a kit or two would be a fine christmas gift. So I received a text from her, "wtf is a big mouth bubbler?" lol.. Sadly I didn't know. Is there any great benefits to using one or is it just easier to clean? I was kind of thinking about working towards some sort of conical, they looked a little more useful.

This gets brought up pretty frequently. In this thread Midwest replied in the quote below:
Thought I would shed a little light here. One of the big reasons we do not run a lot of All-Grain sales is that they absolutely bury the grain room.

In general our grain room has to work at 95% to stay ahead of regular orders (12lbs of this 2lb of that 1lb of these three things). You have to remember all of the grains have to be weighed and bagged by hand. This is the real reason why we do not offer a lot of AG deals. If we run an All-Grain kit deal we end up 3-4 days behind in orders, and then we disappoint customers.

With that said, we are always trying to increases our grain room efficiency, and hopefully we will be able to bring you guys an all grain special soon.

I am not interested in most of their specials because they include kits. I stopped using kits 3 years ago.

Also from what I have read about the Big Mouth Bubblers, at least the plastic ones, is mixed. They get pretty good marks for being easy to clean but are described as very thin walled.

I was thinking of making a brown ale.. honestly, I'm considering it.

$30 for the Big Mouth or $54 for two kits and a Big Mouth.. even if it tastes mildly bad, it gives me 100 beers to give away for $24.

I was thinking of making a brown ale.. honestly, I'm considering it.

$30 for the Big Mouth or $54 for two kits and a Big Mouth.. even if it tastes mildly bad, it gives me 100 beers to give away for $24.

Where do you get the $54 from? Don't forget to add $8 for shipping!

I just ordered one. 2 kits + BMB + Shipping = $51.01. I added a couple of other items since shipping was covered and spent $61.

Decline the yeast and priming sugar options and the Brown ale (1.044) ends up at $21.51 per kit.

These are the first kits I've ever bought (200+ brews). I suspect I'll make a couple of tweaks. The cost is a lot higher for 5 gallons than my usual beers for higher gravity brews, but with the free Bubbler, it seemed worth trying. I've been looking at the Bubbler for a while, so this seemed like the right opportunity.

Now just need to figure out how to explain to my wife why I need another fermenter.

I just ordered one. 2 kits + BMB + Shipping = $51.01. I added a couple of other items since shipping was covered and spent $61.

Decline the yeast and priming sugar options and the Brown ale (1.044) ends up at $21.51 per kit.

These are the first kits I've ever bought (200+ brews). I suspect I'll make a couple of tweaks. The cost is a lot higher for 5 gallons than my usual beers for higher gravity brews, but with the free Bubbler, it seemed worth trying. I've been looking at the Bubbler for a while, so this seemed like the right opportunity.

Now just need to figure out how to explain to my wife why I need another fermenter.

Wow that's a pretty good deal, I don't even want a big mouth bubbler nor the kits and I'm still tempted

I don't really consider shipping as if I were to buy the BMB, I'd have to pay shipping anyway. It's a necessary evil I would have to pay anyway. No one locally has it.

54 was an initial mistake, I forgot to take the sugar out. So 51 for me.

My mother saw this sale because I told her a kit or two would be a fine christmas gift. So I received a text from her, "wtf is a big mouth bubbler?" lol.. Sadly I didn't know. Is there any great benefits to using one or is it just easier to clean? I was kind of thinking about working towards some sort of conical, they looked a little more useful.

From my perspective (biased) there are two benefits from a big mouth bubbler. They aren't glass and you can see the fermentation going on inside them. Buckets are cheaper, have handles to carry them, and a bigger opening for cleaning. Their downside is that the lids sometimes leak so you can't see the airlock bubbling and you can't see the fermentation. I've seen airlocks bubbling so I don't need that and I've watched Youtube videos of fermenting beer so I'm over both of them. Both make the same beer.

I've seen airlocks bubbling so I don't need that and I've watched Youtube videos of fermenting beer so I'm over both of them. Both make the same beer.

I still cringe at having to pay $10 for an empty plastic BUCKET. We're already being gouged on these "brewing specific" multipurpose items.

Buckets are also more air permeable than the big mouth bubblers. While I also only use buckets right now I'm on the fence about getting a BMB just for those I want to sit for 6-8 weeks.

Buckets are also more air permeable than the big mouth bubblers. While I also only use buckets right now I'm on the fence about getting a BMB just for those I want to sit for 6-8 weeks.

I think you are being paranoid about the air permeability if you're only leaving the batch sit for 6 to 8 weeks. 6 to 8 months might be a different story.

I still cringe at having to pay $10 for an empty plastic BUCKET. We're already being gouged on these "brewing specific" multipurpose items.

You don't have to buy the bucket from the LHBS but finding one that is food safe takes a bit of research and by the time you find one and pay shipping, you might be just as far ahead buying from the LHBS which helps keep a LHBS around.

Another good advantage to the BMB is if you are adding something in secondary in a bag. Every try shoving (or removing) a muslin bag full of stuff out of a tradition car boy? :)

Edit: How did I post this an hour in the future?!

I think you are being paranoid about the air permeability if you're only leaving the batch sit for 6 to 8 weeks. 6 to 8 months might be a different story.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me. ;)

Honestly I'm not that concerned about it, but since I've been thinking about doing a Brown ale anyways soonish getting a BMB for free after buying 2 kits isn't a bad deal.

Another good advantage to the BMB is if you are adding something in secondary in a bag. Every try shoving (or removing) a muslin bag full of stuff out of a tradition car boy? :)

Oh, this is a good point. I might pick one up just for that reason now that you mention it. I do love that BrewDemon 2.5g Conical...but man, would you please make a 5g??

Back