New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My additions are either Honey or Simpson’s GNO, but never both. I personally never use crystal in this style. Just a personal preference. I ordered 20# of spelt after reading here. Look forward to using it.
Technically you are using crystal…as GNO are essentially crystal oats, and honey malt is also crystal. I’ve used all of them and prefer 3-4% c-10 or c-15. It has very little if any contribution on the color, and just adds a little something to the beer that seems lacking when it’s not there.

This is extremely typical of many trillium beers:

9A99ACF3-E4B2-4DA9-BF4E-D66431636B08.png

Technically you are using crystal…as GNO are essentially crystal oats, and honey malt is also crystal. I’ve used all of them and prefer 3-4% c-10 or c-15. It has very little if any contribution on the color, and just adds a little something to the beer that seems lacking when it’s not there.

This is extremely typical of many trillium
I get that, technically yes, same contribution no.

60% Rahr 2 Row
13.3% Oat Malt
13.3% Mecca Shaniko wheat
6.7% Carafoam
6.7% Flaked oats

Citra Mosaic Idaho gem 1:1:1
2:1 Cl:SO4 200/100

1.062 OG 1.012 FG
London Fog

Lasted 3 weeks in keg. 1 for carb and then I crushed it. It was absolutely fantastic. Didn't mean to drink it that fast, but oh well. It was a deep orange color, but fresh hop aroma from start to finish.

Currently fermenting an "all Mecca Grade" neipa.
11# Lamonta
3# Shaniko Wheat
1# Carapils
1.064 OG 1.013 FG
All Citra
Coastal Haze

Looked even more orange in the kettle. Mecca 2 Row is about 1 SRM darker than Rahr 2 Row, fwiw.

I certainly find it interesting, so please keep me posted
So this experiment is underway. I brewed up a pretty straightforward beer with 85% 2-row and 15% white wheat. 2 ounces of citra at 10 and then 4 ounces of citra in a 170 whirlpool.

I warmed up the 60 mL syringe of the citra extract in a hot water bath for about five minutes, and then mixed it with 60 mL of Everclear. I whisked it together for a few minutes and it became 100% liquid. I then put the liquid in the bottom of the keg, and will be running the fermentation CO2 through the keg to purge it. Once fermentation is done I’ll transfer the beer directly on top of it. The 60ml syringe is supposed to be equivalent to about 1 pound of hops.

I’m a little nervous because once I mixed it together, it just smelled of straight booze and not so much hoppy. Hopefully the oils and aroma will come through into the finished product.

I’m using white labs opshaug Which is a very clean yeast. It’s not that far off from Chico. I’ve brewed a number of beers with it before and it really lets hops come through.

We’ll see how it goes. I hope to transfer the beer in the next 4 to 5 days as this yeast works pretty quickly.

To clarify…this is what I’m doing:

https://masshops.com/products/citra-10ml-9
https://masshops.com/blogs/q-a/dry-hopping

E35402E3-F651-4D6B-8935-AF7BD9F2340E.jpeg

Last edited:
A561F754-3EDB-4266-80AB-3D9CA078CC2E.jpeg

Just Unreal. I brewed this beer for a competition that ended up getting cancelled due to Covid.

Have never hopped a beer this heavily before and the flavour that punches through is huge. The mouthfeel is good, if not great, but it’s still not at that level of the really elite hazy beers that I’ve had the privilege of trying.

This is truly the first time that I’ve brewed a beer and felt that it stacks up with some of the best breweries (even if it is Citra/Galaxy/I7)

I’m really proud of this and I really appreciate the experience and expertise everyone here shares.

It's been a long time since I brewed one of the original recipes in this thread. You guys have been busy.

I'm looking to brew something hazy and hoppy soon. I'm going to do a 2 Row/Spelt/Crystal 10 grain bill as I've seen a lot of people in here do now.

I want to try out the Cosmic Punch yeast.

I've got 8oz of 2021 Nelson Sauvin and 8 oz of 2021 Idaho 7 from HopsDirect. I've got a little bit of Saaz and Pacifica that I was going to throw into the mash to let the Cosmic Punch do its thing.

My main questions are:

Should I supplement Idaho/Nelson with a third hop variety in the boil and dry hop? I've got to order grain and yeast so I could throw in some Cryo pellets, or do you think this duo would work?

What kind of hop schedule and volume are people generally using these days?

It's been a long time since I brewed one of the original recipes in this thread. You guys have been busy.

I'm looking to brew something hazy and hoppy soon. I'm going to do a 2 Row/Spelt/Crystal 10 grain bill as I've seen a lot of people in here do now.

I want to try out the Cosmic Punch yeast.

I've got 8oz of 2021 Nelson Sauvin and 8 oz of 2021 Idaho 7 from HopsDirect. I've got a little bit of Saaz and Pacifica that I was going to throw into the mash to let the Cosmic Punch do its thing.

My main questions are:

Should I supplement Idaho/Nelson with a third hop variety in the boil and dry hop? I've got to order grain and yeast so I could throw in some Cryo pellets, or do you think this duo would work?

What kind of hop schedule and volume are people generally using these days?
According to the research wp additions drag down the thiols from the mash hopping, I would exect boil additions to have a similar effect

Someone used Cryo Pop Original Blend from Yakima Chief?
Just bought a pound of it and was about to go 100% WP/DH Cryo Pop.
Been wanting to try them out! I saw their research video on them and they sound great. Lots of survivable compounds that you want in your final product!

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the Omega Sundew yeast in a NEIPA? I like the strawberry description. Never tried Strata hops either but it lists strawberry flavor as well. All the sudden I want a strawberry beer!

Last edited:
So my lhbs stopped carrying imperial yeast... I like to support them, they carry white labs so I could try wlp067 coastal haze or any of their other strains but that one seems like a good option. I was planning to use imperial a38 or a24 which I could order, pay shipping blah blah blah, or I could just pick up the wlp067 and give it a shot. Anyone have any input?

Has anyone tried the Omega Sundew yeast in a NEIPA? I like the strawberry description. Never tried Strata hops either but it lists strawberry flavor as well. All the sudden I want a strawberry beer!
I have some strata I might use in my next batch, great hop. I haven't used sundew but it doesn't sound like bad option if that's the profile your looking for.

I've tried a blonde ale with it and it's real underwhelming. Tastes like a pretty clean strain with some fruity undertones, but nothing to the level of LA3/Cosmic Punch or A24. For a blonde ale or a pale ale, it's very nice, but I wouldn't say that it'll make a great NEIPA.

I have some strata I might use in my next batch, great hop. I haven't used sundew but it doesn't sound like bad option if that's the profile your looking for.
Glad you liked Strata. Did you get much strawberry from it?

I've tried a blonde ale with it and it's real underwhelming. Tastes like a pretty clean strain with some fruity undertones, but nothing to the level of LA3/Cosmic Punch or A24. For a blonde ale or a pale ale, it's very nice, but I wouldn't say that it'll make a great NEIPA.
Hmmm, any strawberry flavor? What sort of hop bill did you have? Any chance that overpowered the yeast?

I didn't get strawberry, more the tropical, citrus, weed. But it was a fantastic brew I did a little over a year ago. On my upcoming batch I'm thinking I'll go with a galaxy/strata combo. With either citra or mosaic as supporting cast.

So my lhbs stopped carrying imperial yeast... I like to support them, they carry white labs so I could try wlp067 coastal haze or any of their other strains but that one seems like a good option. I was planning to use imperial a38 or a24 which I could order, pay shipping blah blah blah, or I could just pick up the wlp067 and give it a shot. Anyone have any input?
+1000 on Coastal Haze. It's my new favorite neipa yeast. Taken my game to a whole other level.

Not sure if folks have seen the new Tree House series, Project Find the Limit, where they increase the dry hop with each iteration…but 14.5lbs per barrel has gotta be close. It’s a buzzsaw to the palate, but surprisingly drinkable.

Attachments

• 4C1A4B1A-EF8B-4496-A89F-ED4E948D0BBE.jpeg
    4C1A4B1A-EF8B-4496-A89F-ED4E948D0BBE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
Seems interesting but also in the current nitch if the style... similar to when breweries were pushing ibus through the roof. All the marketing then was this wcipa has a bajillion ibus and now it is pounds of dry hops per barrel. Not being negative here, I think it's great to push the envelope and find that line of enjoyment.

Not sure if folks have seen the new Tree House series, Project Find the Limit, where they increase the dry hop with each iteration…but 14.5lbs per barrel has gotta be close. It’s a buzzsaw to the palate, but surprisingly drinkable.

Wow, they're easing up on a half pound per gallon... gotta be some serious volume losses to those hops.

Planning a brew for next weekend, looking for some input.

65% 2row
15% white wheat
10% malted oats
4% carapils
4% dextrose
2% honey malt

Small 60min addition of simcoe
10min addition of citra, mosaic, simcoe
Whirlpool at 170 of citra and mosaic

Dry hops
Citra, galaxy, strata

Any suggestions on the dry hop ratio or grain bill is appreciated. And what water profile are people using?

I haven't tried one, but it's interesting to me to look at Untappd ratings for each and how people liked them.

#1. 4.5#/bbl, rated at 4.3
#2. 5.5#/bbl, rated at 4.33
#3. 7#/bbl, rated at 4.27
#4. 8.5#/bbl, rated at 4.42
#5. ??/bbl, rated 4.34
#6. 11.5#/bbl, rated 4.43
#7. ??/bbl, rated 4.44
#8. 14.5/bbl, rated 4.58

- There's no dry hop weight value on untappd for #5, 7 or 8, but @chieftain confirmed that last one.
- More than anything, the quality of each of these brews probably depends on the quality of the hops. Hops are an agricultural product and thus vary batch by batch.
- #4 seems like a good middle ground, but the hop quality there could have been way better than in #3, which is an outliner in terms of linear ratings.
- #6 is where we start to see the ratings jump into 4.4+. 11.5 lbs per barrel is around 6oz per gallon according to my quick math.

I wonder how different a #4 would taste from a #6 or 7 and whether the difference would justify the price you pay for losses in volume and sheer cost of hops.

I did similar "Untappd analysis" on Alchemists' hop focus series called Skadoosh. I've only had #48, which barely made the charts. Here's how they stack up from highest rating to lowest:

#1. Skadoosh 58, Mosaic
#2. Skadoosh 46, Idaho 7 and Mosaic lupulin
#3. 59, Citra
#4. 45, Citra
#5. 42, Strata
#6. 51, HBC 630
#7. 49, Strata w/ Mosaic
#8. 39 Mosaic
#9. 57, McKenzie
#10. 56, Nelson Sauvin kettle, Riwaka DH
#11. 55, Riwaka kettle, Nelson DH
#12. 48, Comet

No surprises at the top, but it's cool to see HBC 630 rating at #6. I've never brewed with McKenzie or Comet, so those could be interesting.

Has anyone ever blended Conan with WLP664 which is effectively Imperial Dry Hop? I don't have easy access to Imperial yeast so wonder is making the blend possible and worth the hassle. Getting the ratio would be pretty hard. In the following thread
Conan x WLP644 hybrid

Someone did it at 75% Conan 25% 664. I emailed the OP to see if he was still selling the hybrid yeast he created but haven't heard back yet. Every brew would involve getting the 2 starters prepared but you would be confident no strain would ever take over and keep the ratios pretty close.

Has anyone ever blended Conan with WLP664 which is effectively Imperial Dry Hop? I don't have easy access to Imperial yeast so wonder is making the blend possible and worth the hassle. Getting the ratio would be pretty hard. In the following thread
Conan x WLP644 hybrid

Someone did it at 75% Conan 25% 664. I emailed the OP to see if he was still selling the hybrid yeast he created but haven't heard back yet. Every brew would involve getting the 2 starters prepared but you would be confident no strain would ever take over and keep the ratios pretty close.

I did it last year for the same reason (no access to imperial dry hop here). I went with approximately 50/50 of 644 and Conan, ie same starter volume for both halves of the pitch.
I then compared the blend with straight 1318 in a split batch.
I preferred the 1318 version. It had better mouthfeel. Also, the yeast blend developed some slight belgiany flavours that I found a bit out of place in this style. And it cleared faster than the 1318 batch

Last edited:
I did it last year for the same reason (no access to imperial dry hop here). I went with approximately 50/50 of 644 and Conan, ie same starter volume for both halves of the pitch.
I then compared the blend with straight 1318 in a split batch.
I preferred the 1318 version. It had better mouthfeel. Also, the yeast blend developed some slight belgiany flavours that I found a bit out of place in this style. And it cleared faster than the 1318 batch
So you wouldn't recommend it then? Maybe a lower amount of 644 would have hid the Belgian aspect a bit more. I used Dry Hop once but never got any Belgian flavors off it so maybe the 644 is very low in the mix.

So you wouldn't recommend it then? Maybe a lower amount of 644 would have hid the Belgian aspect a bit more. I used Dry Hop once but never got any Belgian flavors off it so maybe the 644 is very low in the mix.

Well this was only my very anecdotal experience of trying it just once. It wasn't also a "real" NEIPA...more kind of a NE pale ale with 50/50 Amarillo and Simcoe, and an overall more moderate hopping rate compared to your typical hazy juicy bomb (by today standards). It wasn't a bad beer by any means, just not up to the 1318 half in that particular batch, and for my personal taste.
Yes, if I were to try it again, I would reduce the 644 part.

Edit: the belgian notes were very subtle, and it could also be that it was just my imagination, knowing 644's origin... what I'm sure of, is that it was a bit more fruity than the 1318 version.

Last edited:
Well this was only my very anecdotal experience of trying it just once. It wasn't also a "real" NEIPA...more kind of a NE pale ale with 50/50 Amarillo and Simcoe. So not your typical hazy bomb by today standards. It wasn't bad but any means, just not up to the 1318 in that particular batch. Yes if I'd try it again, I would reduce the 644 part.
1318 is a great yeast but just way too temperamental for my liking. If I try the blend I'll report back. Have the Omega Conan strain so will go with that for the first gen and maybe try the blend after that.

Masterbrewerspodcast

I just listened to this Master Brewers pod and didn't really hear anything on Whirlpool having a negative impact on thiols.

At 40 min, Lance mentions that Mash hopping amplifies thiols and thiol precursors, which need to be available for the use by the yeast. He then mentions that you shouldn't skip whirlpool because monoterpene additions still need to happen in WP, as those will be lost in the boil from the mash hops.

I just listened to this Master Brewers pod and didn't really hear anything on Whirlpool having a negative impact on thiols.

At 40 min, Lance mentions that Mash hopping amplifies thiols and thiol precursors, which need to be available for the use by the yeast. He then mentions that you shouldn't skip whirlpool because monoterpene additions still need to happen in WP, as those will be lost in the boil from the mash hops.
Ok I would swear it was there but maybe it was in scott janish his article?

I might have confused dry hops with wp additions but in a way they are similar.
Will scan more through my notes.

Back