New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I also heard of guys opening the bags, slightly breaking up the pellets a bit, and letting them “air out” a bit until they lost most of that character. Then they used it on the hotside

IVe had success this way. I had a bad bag of Columbus that I needed for a 60 min addition. I went ahead and used it. I sealed it up in the Mylar and vac sealed that in a normal seal bag. I opened it up a few months later and it smelled wonderful.
I don’t think it takes alot of O2 but time probably helps

Has anyone used any of the 2021 crop of hops from Yakima yet? I ordered a bunch and am trying to figure out which to use in my next IPA. I opened the bag of 2021 Mosaic and was...underwhelmed. I got a big garlic/onion aroma from it, which I have never had from any of the Mosaic I've used in the past (and I've used a lot). I also opened the Citra and, while I didn't get any off aromas, I felt like the aroma was muted and dull compared to prior crops.

I also ordered 2021 Nelson, Bru-1, Vic Secret and Amarillo, that I haven't opened yet, so hopefully those are a little better!
The mosaic Ive gotten from YVH has been anywhere from mediocre to terrible. After that I started getting all my mosaic from YCH. Everything I’ve gotten has been really, really good. For Citra I bite the bullet and pay for Bells. I’ve never had great Citra from anywhere else.

Also, fun fact, sometimes Other Half will have a release where the same beer is available with hops from different suppliers. For example, you can get a 4pk with mosaic from haas, and a 4pk with mosaic from YCH. Obviously they get better quality than us, but it’s interesting how different the beers can be.

Interesting topic re. early vs late picked hops. A good Australian IPA brewery have just released two identical beers with the only difference being early vs late hop harvest. Keen to give it a shot this weekend.

1637273333571.png

1637273370529.png

Here's something a bit different - Paul Crowther, "the Mad Brewer" makes a NEIPA (or should that be OEIPA?) based on the new British hop Harlequin, with a split dry hop with Olicana, Mystic, Opus and Harlequin :
https://www.pelliclemag.com/home/20...ing-brewing-an-english-hopped-new-england-ipa
"It has tropical fruit on the nose, and then a big hit of mango flavour with notes of peach, orange, passionfruit and cranberry "

Harlequin's not that easy to track down even here, as it happens I had a can in my hand the other day but didn't get it in the end as a) I was on my way to a fairly swanky event and already had two beers in hand that I really needed for different reasons and b) there didn't seem much point given I still have long Covid after 20 months - I can barely get a hint of fruit from an all-Nectaron beer, and pellets all smell of tea, whether they're Nectaron, Riwaka or Citra...

Here's something a bit different - Paul Crowther, "the Mad Brewer" makes a NEIPA (or should that be OEIPA?) based on the new British hop Harlequin, with a split dry hop with Olicana, Mystic, Opus and Harlequin :
https://www.pelliclemag.com/home/20...ing-brewing-an-english-hopped-new-england-ipa
"It has tropical fruit on the nose, and then a big hit of mango flavour with notes of peach, orange, passionfruit and cranberry "

Harlequin's not that easy to track down even here, as it happens I had a can in my hand the other day but didn't get it in the end as a) I was on my way to a fairly swanky event and already had two beers in hand that I really needed for different reasons and b) there didn't seem much point given I still have long Covid after 20 months - I can barely get a hint of fruit from an all-Nectaron beer, and pellets all smell of tea, whether they're Nectaron, Riwaka or Citra...
I had a hand selected triumph beer from northern monk it was absolutely fantastic, juicy dark berries.
Btw on the loss of smell, I read something about it not having to do with covid but thats its caused by some kind of bacteria.
Might want to research that.
Cheers.

A question for those of you that double dry hop in the same vessel/fermenter. I've been doing just one large dry hop in a dry hop keg and completely purging the keg with Co2 from the fermentation. So those of you who do a double dry hop by opening the vessel to add the second hop charge, do you notice any negative effects of oxidation from this and is the risk worth it to do 2 hop additions over 1? Obviously I'll be able to shoot co2 into the keg while the lid is open for the few seconds. I'm brewing @Dgallo TIPA recipe tomorrow and want to get all I can out of the hops.

A question for those of you that double dry hop in the same vessel/fermenter. I've been doing just one large dry hop in a dry hop keg and completely purging the keg with Co2 from the fermentation. So those of you who do a double dry hop by opening the vessel to add the second hop charge, do you notice any negative effects of oxidation from this and is the risk worth it to do 2 hop additions over 1? Obviously I'll be able to shoot co2 into the keg while the lid is open for the few seconds. I'm brewing @Dgallo TIPA recipe tomorrow and want to get all I can out of the hops.
First off, I really can't answer this well because I have always done two hop charges for NEIPAs ranging from 6-10oz combined. I also agree that any time you open the lid post-fermentation and after soft crashing, there is always a risk of oxidation. But, if I thought that the second hop charge would risk oxidation, you could say the same about the first hop charge as well. I think it was Jannish stuff that talks about hop load vs extraction for a given DH so that's kinda why I always did two DHs, to maximize extraction from each smaller DH. But Im not sure my system (modified fermonster) is the same as your system either. With a modified fermonster, you can run CO2 through the floating dip tube so CO2 theoretically flows from the level of the beer up towards the opening which "hopefully" minimizes O2 flowing inward. Does your kegging process utilize a floating dip tube to essentially do the same? Either way, I know my process isn't perfect, but I think it does do a good job at minimizing O2. My NEIPAs have good shelf life in the keg, with never really any change in color, but I think it holds very well for about 2 months. After 2 months, they are still good but aroma isn't as intense but flavor is still solid and color still good too. So overall, Im happy with the double DH process.

First off, I really can't answer this well because I have always done two hop charges for NEIPAs ranging from 6-10oz combined. I also agree that any time you open the lid post-fermentation and after soft crashing, there is always a risk of oxidation. But, if I thought that the second hop charge would risk oxidation, you could say the same about the first hop charge as well. I think it was Jannish stuff that talks about hop load vs extraction for a given DH so that's kinda why I always did two DHs, to maximize extraction from each smaller DH. But Im not sure my system (modified fermonster) is the same as your system either. With a modified fermonster, you can run CO2 through the floating dip tube so CO2 theoretically flows from the level of the beer up towards the opening which "hopefully" minimizes O2 flowing inward. Does your kegging process utilize a floating dip tube to essentially do the same? Either way, I know my process isn't perfect, but I think it does do a good job at minimizing O2. My NEIPAs have good shelf life in the keg, with never really any change in color, but I think it holds very well for about 2 months. After 2 months, they are still good but aroma isn't as intense but flavor is still solid and color still good too. So overall, Im happy with the double DH process.
I don't have a floating dip tube in my dry hop keg as I use the Janish screen on the dip tube but I can either run gas in the gas post or up through the dip tube from the bottom which I think might be the better option. I think I'll give this a try on this brew as I'm of a similar thinking that there is a saturation point with hops if you go all in on one charge.

Hey folks - I know we talk about a lot of recipe stuff but I was just curious what your brewing setups are like?

Hot side
Biab? Electric? Single vessel or multi? All in ones? Chugger pumps or blichman? Counterflow or plate chillers? Exchilerator?

Cold side
Fermonsters with mods? Full conical unitank? Plain bucket?

Misc
What kind of mill? Fabric bag or basket? Ph meter kind?

I have the opportunity to make some huge upgrades for the first time since I started brewing - would love here about your rigs!

Hey folks - I know we talk about a lot of recipe stuff but I was just curious what your brewing setups are like?

Hot side
Biab? Electric? Single vessel or multi? All in ones? Chugger pumps or blichman? Counterflow or plate chillers? Exchilerator?

Cold side
Fermonsters with mods? Full conical unitank? Plain bucket?

Misc
What kind of mill? Fabric bag or basket? Ph meter kind?

I have the opportunity to make some huge upgrades for the first time since I started brewing - would love here about your rigs!

Started with a Grainfather, upgraded to a 3 vessel 20g Spike Electric System

Grainfather was great. Close to 300 brews on one. It’s not perfect and I did some mods to it but was overall pleased with the results. Probably didn’t need the 3 vessel system but I got it for a steal.

Started with 7g SS Chronicals. Added a Spike CF5 and some 14g SS Unitanks along the way. Rarely used the pressure capabilities of the Unitanks. Never used the carb stones. Was fine slowly carbonating in kegs. Unitanks are handy, but not necessary. I’d never buy a Spike fermenter again.

Monster Mill 3 roller. Started with a more generic mill that lasted for a while but the MM3 was a nice upgrade.

Milwaukee MW102 pH meter. Had it forever, used it a ton and still works like a champ. Replaced the probes every now and again. Still use it at the brewery I opened.

Anton Paar Easy Dens is a handy tool if you have the funds. Pretty darn accurate when comparing to the expensive professional hydrometers.

Grainfather was great. Close to 300 brews on one. It’s not perfect and I did some mods to it but was overall pleased with the results. Probably didn’t need the 3 vessel system but I got it for a steal.

Started with 7g SS Chronicals. Added a Spike CF5 and some 14g SS Unitanks along the way. Rarely used the pressure capabilities of the Unitanks. Never used the carb stones. Was fine slowly carbonating in kegs. Unitanks are handy, but not necessary. I’d never buy a Spike fermenter again.

Monster Mill 3 roller. Started with a more generic mill that lasted for a while but the MM3 was a nice upgrade.

Milwaukee MW102 pH meter. Had it forever, used it a ton and still works like a champ. Replaced the probes every now and again. Still use it at the brewery I opened.

Anton Paar Easy Dens is a handy tool if you have the funds. Pretty darn accurate when comparing to the expensive professional hydrometers.
Awesome info and thanks for the run down! I was actually looking to get a CF5 or CF10 possibly...would you not recommend it?

Awesome info and thanks for the run down! I was actually looking to get a CF5 or CF10 possibly...would you not recommend it?

I would go SS over Spike any day. I just don’t think they’re well designed.

I’ve got 2 CF30s used once with all the attachments if anyone’s interested.

Out of curiosity what gap setting do you use on your Monster Mill 3 especially in relation to the Grainfather? Have this mill myself and it's great but can't settle on a suitable gap that I'm happy with.

Did anyone grab any 2021 Strata from YVH? Just brewed my first batch with this Wednesday and it smelled amazing. Out of the bag it was big citrus/cannabis with some pure hoppyness character. The blow off smells ridiculous right now. I went with;

Grains:
62.5 % - 2row
25 % - Spelt malt
12.5 % - Malted Oats

Yeast:
Imperial a24 - Dryhop

Hops:
- 0.5 oz magnum @ 60
- 1.0 oz Galaxy @ 10
- 1.0 oz Strata @ 10

Whirlpool @ 160 for 30 mins
3:1 ratio
Strata/Galaxy

Dryhop
3:2:1 ratio
Cashmere LUPOMAX/Galaxy/Strata

Og - 1.076

Last edited:
Did anyone grab any 2021 Strata from YVH? Just brewed my first batch with this Wednesday and it smelled amazing. Out of the bag it was big citrus/cannabis with some pure hoppyness character. The blow off smells ridiculous right now. I went with;

Grains:
62.5 % - 2row
25 % - Spelt malt
12.5 % - Malted Pat

Yeast:
Imperial a24 - Dryhop

Hops:
- 0.5 oz magnum @ 60
- 1.0 oz Galaxy @ 10
- 1.0 oz Strata @ 10

Strata/Galaxy

Dryhop

Og - 1.076
Dont you have over attenuation problems because of the diastaticus?

Dont you have over attenuation problems because of the diastaticus?
Not at all. I’ve been using A24 now for quite sometime so now and I plan my recipes around getting 79-83% attenuation. I’ll expect I’ll get a FG of 1.014

Not at all. I’ve been using A24 now for quite sometime so now and I plan my recipes around getting 79-83% attenuation. I’ll expect I’ll get a FG of 1.014
Does it ferment out fast? I guess there wont be much hop creep with this strain?

Does it ferment out fast? I guess there wont be much hop creep with this strain?
Ferments in the same amount of time it would take if I pitched LAIII. 3-5 days. I should get virtually no hop creep regardless as I’ll be soft crashing cans dryhoping at 56,

Grains:
62.5 % - 2row
25 % - Spelt malt
12.5 % - Malted Pat

Yeast:
Imperial a24 - Dryhop

Hops:
- 0.5 oz magnum @ 60
- 1.0 oz Galaxy @ 10
- 1.0 oz Strata @ 10

Strata/Galaxy

Dryhop

Og - 1.076

How heavy do you go in the whirlpool?

Hopping on to the spelt & Cosmic Punch train here.

Grain bill

69% GP
17% Spelt
14% Extra Pale Malt

2oz Simcoe mash hop for 45min

WP @ 75C (167F) for 20min
1:1:0.5 Enigma, Rakau & Citra

Dry hop #1 @ day 3
1:1:0.5:0.5 Enigma, Rakau, Citra & Citra Lupomax

Dry hop #2 after soft crash for 30h
1:1.5:0.5:0.5 Enigma, Rakau, Citra & Citra Lupomax

Fermented with OYL-402 Cosmic Punch with 2L starter

Decided to go full monty with the mash hops and added 2oz of Simcoe to the mash. Wasn't quite sure when to add the hops so did it at the beginning of the mash.

Hats off to Dgallo. I must admit that the spelt really brings that soft & silky texture to the table. It's completely something new which I haven't achieved using oats in the grist.

For some reason I decided to do two separate dry hop additions. First one was added three days after the fermentation kicked off. Haven't done any "biotransformation" dry hopping for two years but decided to try this time (I don't know why I did it). I pulled a sample couple days prior 2nd dry hopping and the mouthfeel was already very soft at that point. The aroma was very intense. Very strong red/white currant, gooseberries and some sweet fruits. Very clean aroma & taste but the bitterness was quite strong and "green" (I'll blame the first dry hop charge) so the overall taste was quite muted. There was definitely some fruits present but couldn't tell which ones because of the harsh green hop bitterness. Soft crashed @ 14C (57F) and threw in 2nd dry hop charge for 30h. Cold crashed for two days and transferred to the keg.

I took a sample while transferring...my goodness. The harshness is completely gone. It's now been in keg for two weeks and aroma is super clean, fruity, loaded with gooseberries & sweet peach. Mouthfeel is 100% pure silk and it feels like you were sipping the best Sauvignon Blanc white wine from Marlborough NZ which I absolutely love. Taste is like our home grown red currants, stone fruit (strong peach) and pineapple.

speltNeipa.jpg

Hopping on to the spelt & Cosmic Punch train here.

Grain bill

69% GP
17% Spelt
14% Extra Pale Malt

2oz Simcoe mash hop for 45min

WP @ 75C (167F) for 20min
1:1:0.5 Enigma, Rakau & Citra

Dry hop #1 @ day 3
1:1:0.5:0.5 Enigma, Rakau, Citra & Citra Lupomax

Dry hop #2 after soft crash for 30h
1:1.5:0.5:0.5 Enigma, Rakau, Citra & Citra Lupomax

Fermented with OYL-402 Cosmic Punch with 2L starter

Decided to go full monty with the mash hops and added 2oz of Simcoe to the mash. Wasn't quite sure when to add the hops so did it at the beginning of the mash.

Hats off to Dgallo. I must admit that the spelt really brings that soft & silky texture to the table. It's completely something new which I haven't achieved using oats in the grist.

For some reason I decided to do two separate dry hop additions. First one was added three days after the fermentation kicked off. Haven't done any "biotransformation" dry hopping for two years but decided to try this time (I don't know why I did it). I pulled a sample couple days prior 2nd dry hopping and the mouthfeel was already very soft at that point. The aroma was very intense. Very strong red/white currant, gooseberries and some sweet fruits. Very clean aroma & taste but the bitterness was quite strong and "green" (I'll blame the first dry hop charge) so the overall taste was quite muted. There was definitely some fruits present but couldn't tell which ones because of the harsh green hop bitterness. Soft crashed @ 14C (57F) and threw in 2nd dry hop charge for 30h. Cold crashed for two days and transferred to the keg.

I took a sample while transferring...my goodness. The harshness is completely gone. It's now been in keg for two weeks and aroma is super clean, fruity, loaded with gooseberries & sweet peach. Mouthfeel is 100% pure silk and it feels like you were sipping the best Sauvignon Blanc white wine from Marlborough NZ which I absolutely love. Taste is like our home grown red currants, stone fruit (strong peach) and pineapple.

View attachment 750426
Glad you’re I’m enjoying it and Thanks brother. I wish I could take all the credit but I can’t.

When I originally thought about using spelt, it was for my Bretted beers. I did some research on the positives for body and thought it would be a great option for NEIPAS (i didn’t personally see Janish’s post regarding it, but I’m almost certain it went out well before I brewed with it). I then reached out in this thread if anyone has tried it and @Noob_Brewer messaged me saying he hasn’t used it yet but wanted to try. We talked about a recipe, then he did one and then I followed up with two beers after and then we talked about what we both got from our beers.

All that said, I think it’s worth trying for anyone who hasn’t. You can go lower in fg keeping the beer lite and it will still have great fullness tht is pillow soft.

Did anyone grab any 2021 Strata from YVH? Just brewed my first batch with this Wednesday and it smelled amazing. Out of the bag it was big citrus/cannabis with some pure hoppyness character. The blow off smells ridiculous right now.

Following. I've ordered 2021 Strata among other hops from YVH. Still waiting for the shipment to arrive. Please keep us updated bro

Glad you’re I’m enjoying it and Thanks brother. I wish I could take all the credit but I can’t.

When I originally thought about using spelt, it was for my Bretted beers. I did some research on the positives for body and thought it would be a great option for NEIPAS (i didn’t personally see Janish’s post regarding it, but I’m almost certain it went out well before I brewed with it). I then reached out in this thread if anyone has tried it and @Noob_Brewer messaged me saying he hasn’t used it yet but wanted to try. We talked about a recipe, then he did one and then I followed up with two beers after and then we talked about what we both got from our beers.

All that said, I think it’s worth trying for anyone who hasn’t. You can go lower in fg keeping the beer lite and it will still have great fullness tht is pillow soft.

I was thinking of adding "thx for Dgallo & everyone who has contributed to this thread" but hats off to Noob_Brewer also. I also saw the Janish post but for some reason I didn't pay much attention to it.

I have to admit that I was completely fixated to using oats with this style. The mouthfeel is really something else. Sipping the beer atm and I still can't believe how smooth and soft the mouthfeel is. This is a complete game changer for me with this beer style. Might try spelt with sours also

I was thinking of adding "thx for Dgallo & everyone who has contributed to this thread" but hats off to Noob_Brewer also. I also saw the Janish post but for some reason I didn't pay much attention to it.

I have to admit that I was completely fixated to using oats with this style. The mouthfeel is really something else. Sipping the beer atm and I still can't believe how smooth and soft the mouthfeel is. This is a complete game changer for me with this beer style. Might try spelt with sours also
I currently have two beers on tap with significant percentages of spelt, (30%) and id be lying if I said I could notice any difference from white wheat. Spelt is in fact wheat, with slightly higher protein levels.

I have to assume that if it really, truly, brought something different to the table…you’d see it in more beers. Why aren’t more breweries catching on to the magic of spelt?

I’m not saying it’s not useful, but it’s really not thaaat special. It’s fun to think you’ve stumbled upon something great, but spelt really isn’t all that amazing.

It’s extra expensive wheat.

When was the last time you saw an other half, treehouse, trillium, equilibrium, troon, fidens, monkish…etc…feature spelt? I’m pretty sure they know it exists.

Just an honest unbiased opinion.

Last edited:
I currently have two beers on tap with significant percentages of spelt, (30%) and id be lying if I said I could notice any difference from white wheat. Spelt is in fact wheat, with slightly higher protein levels.

I have to assume that if it really, truly, brought something different to the table…you’d see it in more beers. Why aren’t more breweries catching on to the magic of spelt?

I’m not saying it’s not useful, but it’s really not thaaat special. It’s fun to think you’ve stumbled upon something great, but spelt really isn’t all that amazing.

When was the last time you saw an other half, treehouse, trillium, equilibrium, troon, fidens, monkish…etc…feature spelt? I’m pretty sure they know it exists.

Could be it’s almost 3 times the cost of wheat. And at the amount the commercial Brewery would need, it may prevent someone from attempting it. Sapwood cellars uses it quite a bit and it’s been rumored that Root + Branch uses it in their gist.

I am confident that there is a difference in the smoothness of my beers featuring spelt. After this beer is in the keg I will take be able to make some final judgement of the effects of mouthfeel. This is only my 3rd beer with it

Could be it’s almost 3 times the cost of wheat. And at the amount the commercial Brewery would need, it may prevent someone from attempting it. Sapwood cellars uses it quite a bit and it’s been rumored that Root + Branch uses it in their gist.

I am confident that there is a difference in the smoothness of my beers featuring spelt. After this beer is in the keg I will take be able to make some final judgement of the effects of mouthfeel. This is only my 3rd beer with it
Nowhere near 3 times as much. Not even twice as much but not far off. The breweries I mentioned arent hurting in the budget department. Even if they were…they’d use spelt if it was that special/different.

Again, I don’t dislike it. I just don’t think it’s really any better than other wheats.

You’re probably right, but I’ve never used White Wheat before so the addition of Spelt really added something that Malted Oats haven’t before. I’ve seen Drekker and Tired Hands mention spelt quite regularly though.

Grains:
62.5 % - 2row
25 % - Spelt malt
12.5 % - Malted Oats

Yeast:
Imperial a24 - Dryhop

Hops:
- 0.5 oz magnum @ 60
- 1.0 oz Galaxy @ 10
- 1.0 oz Strata @ 10

Strata/Galaxy

Dryhop

Og - 1.076
I don't have any 2021 Strata myself but by the sounds of it, it seems this years crop may be better than last years. Keep us posted!

Glad your beer came out great man! Yes, some time ago, I was also fixated thinking you needed lots of oats in these NEIPAs. I was typically doing an even combo of flaked/malted oats (15-20% total) and white wheat (15-20% total) and my oats/wheat combo were typically around 35%. Beers were good to my liking. So when I tried spelt I wanted to try it on its own and went with 75% 2row, 20% spelt, and 5% carafoam. I really liked it and the descriptions of smooth/silky/pillowy are dead on target. But since I haven't brewed any NEIPAs without oats, my next beer I went with 75% 2row, 20% white wheat, and 5% carafoam. These were back to back NEIPAs with A24 yeast and same water profile but hopped differently. I'm pretty sure I posted my thoughts on these two back-to-back beers somewhere in this dang thread but from memory and my notes I did notice that spelt was indeed softer/pillowy than white wheat. Both had a nice round, medium mouthfeel but the white wheat one was a bit heavier and a little "chewy". Again, both beers were great but I could definitely tell the difference in terms of mouthfeel. Supposedly spelt has a little unique flavor including some "spice" character but with these hopped NEIPAs, I didn't get any flavor difference that I could detect. So I do like spelt in that you can get a nice soft mouthfeel that is silky without the slight heaviness/cheweyness that white wheat can carry when used at 20%. For my NEIPAs, I have now ditched flaked oats and Im using a combo of spelt and malted oats = ~30-35% of the total grain bill. Really like the mouthfeel when going with spelt at about 17-20% and malted oats at 10-15%. Still tinkering though.

So I don’t know if it’s lame to tell you guys this or not (I’m not versed in the social media etiquette) but my wife suggested I start am Instagram account for my home brewing. Anyway she helped me create one over the past two days. If your on Instagram my account is;

bantam_brews

Just figured I’d let you guys know since HBT is really the only thing I use other than Facebook

Im actually a bit surprised that you didn't notice a difference with spelt compared to white wheat at that high of a percentage. my own (unscientific) comparison of spelt vs white wheat on back to back beers, each comprising 20% of the grain bill showed some definite differences IMO. But opinions matter for sure and vary across individuals so I respect that. As Ive said before, both will make good or great additions to any NEIPA. While I don't think spelt is a "magic" bullet for achieving a smooth and silky and medium-full mouthfeel for NEIPAs and I acknowledge there are MANY variables that can contribute to this mouthfeel that many of us are trying to capture, I do think more and more breweries are starting to feature it in their NEIPAs. My first experience with Spelt in an NEIPA was from Almanac's Loud beer with mosaic and Denali hops and they listed 2 row and spelt as the grains. That was in 2018, two years before I started brewing. I distinctly remember loving the mouthfeel of that one and kind of forgot about spelt until well after I started brewing in early 2020. For me, after going down the OH daydream thread on this HBT forum and brewing beers with ~50% flaked and malted oats, the take home message was that spelt can achieve a similar silky pillow soft mouthfeel. For me, too much flaked oats or white wheat can get heavy on the mouthfeel. But spelt can give a nice medium-full body without feeling heavy which I like. But again, everyone has their own takes. Soooo many variables that contribute to mouthfeel as well, its no wonder that other big name breweries can still achieve similar mouthfeels through other means. FWIW, I was in Charleston, SC this past holiday and paid a visit to Charles Towne Fermentory which is my favorite brewery out of the Charleston area. They actually put out a spelt pale ale called Beagle Lander. It was really good IMO and I was hoping to chat with the head brewer/owner about it but he wasn't around when I went there the day before thanksgiving. Nevertheless, I do think more and more peeps are beginning to at least "feature" it. Its not a new grain for sure but seems to be "newer" for the NEIPA style.

Cheers!

Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 8.52.14 PM.png

Last edited:

Appreciate your reply. I have tinkered with white wheat, flaked oats, malted oats etc. but this is the first time I truly noticed the super soft mouthfeel. And you are right, I know that spelt is wheat and it costs double what the white wheat costs here. But it just brought something else to the mix. I don't know if there's a quality differencies with North American white wheat vs. European white wheat but I really noticed the difference between spelt and white wheat I've been using. That said I know that we all have unique sensory system so I don't want to argue against that.

What comes to breweries you mentioned using spelt, well I haven't seen them listing spelt as their ingredients. On the other hand I know that I'm just brewing a homebrew. It's never going to be as clean, smooth or top quality as Other Half, Trillium & co are brewing because it's just homebrew.

This was my first batch using spelt and the second one is going into the keg in couple of days. I know spelt might not be the silver bullet when trying to achieve smooth & pillowy mouthfeel but it might be the answer for me. At least it worked when I used it for first time. I'm planning to add malted oats / white wheat / flaked oats with spelt to my future NEIPA grain bill just to see how the mouthfeel changes.

I'm definitely going to use spelt in my future NEIPA brews and I'm planning to try it with sours too. I don't know if it's amazing ingredient but at least I enjoyed my latest NEIPA very much. It's the best one so far what I have been able to produce.

Cheers!

So I don’t know if it’s lame to tell you guys this or not (I’m not versed in the social media etiquette) but my wife suggested I start am Instagram account for my home brewing. Anyway she helped me create one over the past two days. If your on Instagram my account is;

bantam_brews

Just figured I’d let you guys know since HBT is really the only thing I use other than Facebook
Thanks for letting us know! I will be sure to look for your next beer "release" post on the 'gram and make the drive up the east coast to Fiden's and then your place! ;)

bantam_brews

Gave you a follow. You won’t find a lamer homebrew gram than mine. I do can mock ups on my phone and post them like they’re real life releases.

I know secretlevel and Pratt are pretty active on the gram from this thread.

Back