New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are overbuilding, Id say that going three overbuilt harvests allowing you to get 4 brews from a single pouch is a success IMO. The last brew you just don't overbuild to harvest. I haven't seen/detected to my palate anyways any difference at all and the fermentations are all the same behavior. I agree with @Dgallo in that when I harvest, after I get my mason jars sanitized and ready for harvesting, Im making sure to swirl the flask (which just left the stir plate) really well to make the starter as homogenous as possible. Not a perfect science but works well IMHO. Not sure how many generations you can do this with as Ive never tried to go past 3 harvests from overbuilt starters with A24.
Sounds good so. I'd be happy enough to get 4 brews out of a pouch so. The process you do is the way I'd go about it. As you say its not perfect science but neither is cell count from a calculator to make your starter.

Is anyone still using Kveik yeast to brew NEIPAs or was that just a short lived craze?
I had to cancel my brew day the last two weekends and hope to finally get a chance next weekend.
Difficult to have a beer ready on time for the holidays now so was thinking of doing a NEIPA with some Voss slurry I harvested from a Barley wine last spring. Is it worth a go or is it a waste of all those hops?

Sounds good so. I'd be happy enough to get 4 brews out of a pouch so. The process you do is the way I'd go about it. As you say its not perfect science but neither is cell count from a calculator to make your starter.

I've had some issues with A24 trying to decant the starter after a few days, so definitely avoid that. It seems that Conan usually settles out a bit faster. What I ended up doing in the end is getting a pouch and making a 4L starter, saving 0.5-1L in 3 jars and pitching the rest.

Is anyone still using Kveik yeast to brew NEIPAs or was that just a short lived craze?
I had to cancel my brew day the last two weekends and hope to finally get a chance next weekend.
Difficult to have a beer ready on time for the holidays now so was thinking of doing a NEIPA with some Voss slurry I harvested from a Barley wine last spring. Is it worth a go or is it a waste of all those hops?

My buddy got 2nd place in a local comp using Voss, it seems to work for folks. However, reusing yeast from high gravity brews is not usually recommended as it was pretty stressed, but granted that it's a Kveik then it could be worth a shot...

I never was a big fan of the esters of the more popular ones like voss and hornindal. Have one going now with Framgarden which I hope is better.

I've had some issues with A24 trying to decant the starter after a few days, so definitely avoid that. It seems that Conan usually settles out a bit faster. What I ended up doing in the end is getting a pouch and making a 4L starter, saving 0.5-1L in 3 jars and pitching the rest.
Do you use a stir plate for your starters and decant them into a jar as soon as they are finished on a stir plate? Surely the Conan strain wouldn't have a chance to settle out.

Making one big starter and filling a few jars is a good idea.

Do you use a stir plate for your starters and decant them into a jar as soon as they are finished on a stir plate? Surely the Conan strain wouldn't have a chance to settle out.

Making one big starter and filling a few jars is a good idea.

I used to try to crash them for 24-48 hours, but there's still usually some haze floating around, so I figured that's a part of one of the strains.

So just checked and I'll do an Alien Church clone with Voss instead of LAIII. Should finish off all my 2019 Mosaic and Citra.
I had a stint where I rain Voss and Hornindal for like a year. They are solid yeast but tend to outshine the hops and provide less body. I found that if I up the pitch count to a full pouch, I was able to control the esters some but they always seemed to come off thinner

Last edited:
I had a stint where I rain Voss and Hornindal for like a year. They are solid yeast but tend to outshine the yeast and provide less body. I found that if I up the pitch count to a full pouch, I was able to control the esters some but they always seemed to come off thinner

Definitely thinner, Voss attenuates pretty damn well, often around 80%, but a 1.010 finish isn't something that everyone is after with NEIPA's. My buddy adds some maltodextrin to his Voss brews and the beers always come out well. It adds body without the sweetness.

Thanks again for the feedback.
I'll adjust the mash temperature to try reduce the attenuation.
The recipe also includes half a pound of dextrose so I'll leave that out and replace it with some carapils. I'll look into increasing the flaked adjuncts a bit too.

So, I am about to jump on the spelt and Cosmic Punch train. I really wanted to try A24 Dry Hop this go around, but my LBHS was out, so I went with Cosmic Punch. But I am excited to try the spelt. Anyway, two questions for the group:
1. I'm thinking a Citra/Strata combo (targeting 1.080 OG). Any thoughts/experience for the ratios in WP and Dry Hop? Heavy Strata in WP and reverse in DH?

2. I am having a heck of a time finding bottled oxygen (I usually use the red bernzomatic cannisters). Every place I go has an empty shelf. Is this a supply chain thing?

I just finished A'B'ing 2 batches of Cosmic Punch vs verdant, there was practically no difference. Was pretty dissappointed.
Will be A'B'ing a similar batch soon which got a mash hopping added but I don't think this yeast is much fun in a NEIPA without perhaps the phantasm powder which is impossible to find.

I just finished A'B'ing 2 batches of Cosmic Punch vs verdant, there was practically no difference. Was pretty dissappointed.
Will be A'B'ing a similar batch soon which got a mash hopping added but I don't think this yeast is much fun in a NEIPA without perhaps the phantasm powder which is impossible to find.
Bummer. I was shocked at how different yeast strains can be. I did a split batch of Coastal Haze and London Fog, with literally everything else the same, and they were 2 different beers. Different hue, different aroma, different flavor. Both very good :)

oh nice! I look forward to what you think with a mash hop added

oh nice! I look forward to what you think with a mash hop added
From first sample tasting after crashing I smelled and tasted the mash hop vs the non mash hop cosmic and also the verdant, couldn't detect a huge difference. At first I thought it was a bit brighter and was hoping with age the non mash hop one which I kegged first would develop in the keg but nothing changed so I dont have high hopes for the mash hopped version.

Just kegged this tonight. Jumped on the Spelt and Cosmic Punch wagon. Dry hopped with Citra with a tad of Idaho 7. Zero green bitterness. Finished at 1.016 from an OG of 1.068, so 75% attenuation. Straight citrus and tropical aroma and flavor. Can't wait to get this one carbed up.

Attachments

• 20211206_192930.jpg
    20211206_192930.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Interesting topic re. early vs late picked hops. A good Australian IPA brewery have just released two identical beers with the only difference being early vs late hop harvest. Keen to give it a shot this weekend.

View attachment 749409

View attachment 749410

For those interested I finally tasted these beers last weekend. Huge differences between the two. I'm not great at explaining aromas but one thing that was very clear is that the early picked hops had that distinct fuel / diesel thing you get with NZ hops while the late had none. My wife even picked up on it with no prompts.

119C0D13-C202-42F7-9685-FC6CFD5CDB79.jpeg

Latest beer got tapped this week and it might be the best beer I’ve brewed to date. It’s my largest dryhop amount so far, came out to right around 5 lbs/bbl, utilizing Cashmere LUPOMAX, Galaxy, and Strata. I got intense aroma and flavors of Creamy peach, Lime, and Orange. I’m surprised that I didn’t get much dankness from the strata because out of the bag that was a heavy note. The mouthfeel is spectacular. That perfect creamy/silkiness that is pillow soft, with just enough dryness in the finish to clean up and get you ready for the next sip. I’ll be running this recipe for a while with some of my favorite combos moving forward.

Grains:
62.5 % - 2row
25 % - Spelt malt
12.5 % - Malted Oats

Yeast:
Imperial a24 - Dryhop

Hops:
- 0.5 oz magnum @ 60
- 1.0 oz Galaxy @ 10
- 1.0 oz Strata @ 10

Whirlpool @ 160 for 30 mins
3:1 ratio
Strata/Galaxy

Dryhop
1.5:1:1 ratio
Cashmere LUPOMAX/Galaxy/Strata

Og - 1.078
Fg - 1.016
Abv: 8.1%

Last edited:
View attachment 752042

Latest beer got tapped this week and it might be the best beer I’ve brewed to date. It’s my largest dryhop amount so far, came out to right around 5 lbs/bbl, utilizing Cashmere LUPOMAX, Galaxy, and Strata. I got intense aroma and flavors of Creamy peach, Lime, and Orange. I’m surprised that I didn’t get much dankness from the strata because out of the bag that was a heavy note. The mouthfeel is spectacular. That perfect creamy/silkiness that is pillow soft, with just enough dryness in the finish to clean up and get you ready for the next sip. I’ll be running this recipe for a while with some of my favorite combos moving forward.

Grains:
62.5 % - 2row
25 % - Spelt malt
12.5 % - Malted Oats

Yeast:
Imperial a24 - Dryhop

Hops:
- 0.5 oz magnum @ 60
- 1.0 oz Galaxy @ 10
- 1.0 oz Strata @ 10

Strata/Galaxy

Dryhop

Og - 1.078
Fg - 1.016
That's a beauty. When you dry hop at lower temps how long contact time do you aim for and do you do any rousing?

I've going back to dryhop at end of ferment during diacetyl as I felt there not really optimal extraction, it only worked well for me with hops I think where good and fresh to begin with.
Tried swirling the fermenter to get better extraction after transferring off the yeast and after 3 days of contact time the beer was still pretty underwhelming.

That's a beauty. When you dry hop at lower temps how long contact time do you aim for and do you do any rousing?
I dryhoped at 56*f for 36 hours. I tried to rouse them every 8 or so hours. This is easily my most intense beer. I think it’s actually going to get better when it mellows a touch. I hate to use the term but the flavors are a touch sharp right now. That’s the best way for me to describe it.

View attachment 752042

Grains:
62.5 % - 2row
25 % - Spelt malt
12.5 % - Malted Oats

Yeast:
Imperial a24 - Dryhop

Hops:
- 0.5 oz magnum @ 60
- 1.0 oz Galaxy @ 10
- 1.0 oz Strata @ 10

Strata/Galaxy

Dryhop

Og - 1.078
Fg - 1.016
Looks absolutely incredible. Really need to try and pick up some of the A24. Is your dry hop rate around 15oz in total?

I think so. Granted 35% of the hop bill was LUPOMAX, that had something to do with it as well but it’s bright, intense, saturated, and the mouthfeel is literally perfect.
It's a nice feeling being so happy about a beer you just brewed. Did you use your usual water profile or is it just the increased amounts of spelt and oats that's made the mouthfeel so good?

I kegged my failed TIPA beer last week and not happy with it at all. Was Citra, Nelson and Idaho 7 and for me the I7 is just not working as it's totally dominating the flavor. Brewed Citra/ Nelson combo 3 times now and I know its awesome, and is always drinkable from day one but not this. I think I'll leave it till next weekend which will be 2 weeks and make a call on it. I've 2 oz of nelson left and a good bit of citra lupomax so think I'll add some to the keg. The spicy Belgian aroma and taste is so off putting, just getting spice, banana and bubble gum off it.

It's a nice feeling being so happy about a beer you just brewed. Did you use your usual water profile or is it just the increased amounts of spelt and oats that's made the mouthfeel so good?

I kegged my failed TIPA beer last week and not happy with it at all. Was Citra, Nelson and Idaho 7 and for me the I7 is just not working as it's totally dominating the flavor. Brewed Citra/ Nelson combo 3 times now and I know its awesome, and is always drinkable from day one but not this. I think I'll leave it till next weekend which will be 2 weeks and make a call on it. I've 2 oz of nelson left and a good bit of citra lupomax so think I'll add some to the keg. The spicy Belgian aroma and taste is so off putting, just getting spice, banana and bubble gum off it.

Your I7 smells and tastes like a wild yeast ferment?

What yeast did you use?

I'm not getting any aroma from the citra or nelson which is why I'm thinking its the spice/earthiness of the I7 thats just over taking everything else.

I've never heard of a hop giving that wild yeast phenolic. Maybe the batch got some other yeast in there? Or is this something you see often with I7?

I've never heard of a hop giving that wild yeast phenolic. Maybe the batch got some other yeast in there? Or is this something you see often with I7?
It's not a wild yeast phenolic I'm getting just a Belgian character. As I said I'm not get at describing flavors and aroma so sorry if I gave that impression. It's definitely not a wild off flavor.

It's not a wild yeast phenolic I'm getting just a Belgian character. As I said I'm not get at describing flavors and aroma so sorry if I gave that impression. It's definitely not a wild off flavor.
Interesting. My last batch also had this character...hard to describe the taste other than Belgian-y. My wife says the aroma is more like a Wit or Hef. Mine used a combo of Waimea, Motueka and Rakau (Barbarian Gen 3 yeast). I was going for an all Kiwi after my all Aussie (Galaxy, Enigma, Ella) was such a success. I guess these hops do not play nice with each other. Hardly drinkable.

dunno if this helps you but when i was only DHing warmer and during ferm i used to get similar aroma and off flavors

View attachment 752042

Grains:
62.5 % - 2row
25 % - Spelt malt
12.5 % - Malted Oats

Yeast:
Imperial a24 - Dryhop

Hops:
- 0.5 oz magnum @ 60
- 1.0 oz Galaxy @ 10
- 1.0 oz Strata @ 10

Strata/Galaxy

Dryhop

Og - 1.078
Fg - 1.016

That looks awesome man! Question about Cashmere Lupomax. Do you feel that it made an impact to aroma & taste? The reason why I'm asking is that I've used T-90 Cashmere few times and found out that it's easily overpowered by other hops. I've have been thinking about ordering Cashmere Lupomax but I'm not sure if it bring anything new to the table compared to the regular T-90 Cashmere pellets?

Interesting. My last batch also had this character...hard to describe the taste other than Belgian-y. My wife says the aroma is more like a Wit or Hef. Mine used a combo of Waimea, Motueka and Rakau (Barbarian Gen 3 yeast). I was going for an all Kiwi after my all Aussie (Galaxy, Enigma, Ella) was such a success. I guess these hops do not play nice with each other. Hardly drinkable.
Yes, it's hard to describe and Belgiany is the best way I can describe it too, definitely not a flavor you want in a NEIPA. I'm thinking I should have only used Idaho 7 hot side. I'm still hopeful of salvaging this beer but don't want to be throwing a load more hops at it.

That looks awesome man! Question about Cashmere Lupomax. Do you feel that it made an impact to aroma & taste? The reason why I'm asking is that I've used T-90 Cashmere few times and found out that it's easily overpowered by other hops. I've have been thinking about ordering Cashmere Lupomax but I'm not sure if it bring anything new to the table compared to the regular T-90 Cashmere pellets?
The cashmere is definitely leading the charge in my beer. I get a lot of peach and lime from it. I think LUPOMAX is a great product. I’ve been happy with all varieties I’ve used so far

The cashmere is definitely leading the charge in my beer. I get a lot of peach and lime from it. I think LUPOMAX is a great product. I’ve been happy with all varieties I’ve used so far
Good to know. I was considering getting into the LUPO at a small %. I love cashmere, I think it’s a great secondary hop, but was never impressed as the primary. This makes me want to try the LUPO.

Back