New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright I’m with you simcoe and I7 are great but would you really put it on the highest tier?

Here’s my updated but subject to change ELITE tier:
Citra mosaic galaxy nelson strata

It’s just not fair how good these hops are.

Edit: changed my mind

I think it depends on the lots and hop quality, but I think yeah, all of those hops can be amazing. I got a silver medal for an Idaho 7/Mosaic/Citra beer from around 40 entries a while back. Idaho 7 comprised about 50% of the hop bill. It was a big orange flavor with a very pleasant Black tea note. I think it really stood out from your average super-fruity NEIPA.

I haven't tried Enigma though, I'll have to give it a try here soon.

Last edited:
So this is my first time ever posting on HBT. I have been a lurker since about 2013 and have learned a ton. I live in Maryland and my favorite breweries are: The Veil, Triple Crossing, Other Half, Equilibrium, and locally, The Crooked Crab (the head brewer used to brew at RaR and has been putting out some fire NEIPAs lately). Anyways, I have brewed several awful NEIPAs over the past few years but my last one was almost perfect. I didn't have a fermentation chamber to temp control and dry hopped for 2 days at ambient temps (about 72 degrees) and then cold crashed for 2 days (I could only crash in a fridge but didn't have a way to temp control but now do). The beer was amazing for the first week or so but then became a diacetyl bomb. It was the first time I had nailed a NEIPA and was loving it....that being said, I am very excited to brew another batch. I brewed that NEIPA back in February (had a baby the same month so I have been on a brewing hiatus) and have a ton of hops saved up. After reading your discussions over the past several months, I am going to give this recipe a try, mainly based on @Dgallo most recent spelt forward recipe. I did a spelt NEIPA a couple of years ago and it turned out beautiful but was a drain pour as it was way to astringently bitter from the massive amount of Galaxy I used. Anyways, here it is and please let me know how it looks and if I should change anything! Side Note: I brew in an Anvil Foundry 10.5, ferment under pressure in a Fermzilla, and can (now) dry hop cold. Any tips are welcome!

Spelt NEIPA

Water

I don't have the specifics of the water chemistry I use (currently at work), but I have that where I like it for the style.

Grains
77% - 2row
22% - spelt
1% - honey malt
1 lb. Dextrose

Mash
40 min. - 146
30 min. - 162
10 min. - mash out

Yeast
Imperial A24 – Dry Hop
(0.65 million cell/ml/*p)

Hot side hops
Cascade whole leaf mash hop (I’m thinking 4-6 oz.)
Columbus @ 60 (20 ibu)
Citra @ 10 (10 ibu)
Mosaic @ 5 (10 ibu)
Idaho 7 @ Flame out (20 ibu)

Whirlpool @ 180 for 30
1 oz. Columbus
1 oz. Citra
1 oz. Mosaic
2 oz. Idaho 7
2 oz. Galaxy

Dry Hop
5 oz. Galaxy
2.5 oz. Citra
2.5 oz. Mosaic LUPOMAX

soft-crashing then dry-hoping at 55*F

So this is my first time ever posting on HBT. I have been a lurker since about 2013 and have learned a ton. I live in Maryland and my favorite breweries are: The Veil, Triple Crossing, Other Half, Equilibrium, and locally, The Crooked Crab (the head brewer used to brew at RaR and has been putting out some fire NEIPAs lately). Anyways, I have brewed several awful NEIPAs over the past few years but my last one was almost perfect. I didn't have a fermentation chamber to temp control and dry hopped for 2 days at ambient temps (about 72 degrees) and then cold crashed for 2 days (I could only crash in a fridge but didn't have a way to temp control but now do). The beer was amazing for the first week or so but then became a diacetyl bomb. It was the first time I had nailed a NEIPA and was loving it....that being said, I am very excited to brew another batch. I brewed that NEIPA back in February (had a baby the same month so I have been on a brewing hiatus) and have a ton of hops saved up. After reading your discussions over the past several months, I am going to give this recipe a try, mainly based on @Dgallo most recent spelt forward recipe. I did a spelt NEIPA a couple of years ago and it turned out beautiful but was a drain pour as it was way to astringently bitter from the massive amount of Galaxy I used. Anyways, here it is and please let me know how it looks and if I should change anything! Side Note: I brew in an Anvil Foundry 10.5, ferment under pressure in a Fermzilla, and can (now) dry hop cold. Any tips are welcome!

Spelt NEIPA

Water

I don't have the specifics of the water chemistry I use (currently at work), but I have that where I like it for the style.

Grains
77% - 2row
22% - spelt
1% - honey malt
1 lb. Dextrose

Mash
40 min. - 146
30 min. - 162
10 min. - mash out

Yeast
Imperial A24 – Dry Hop

Hot side hops
Cascade whole leaf mash hop (I’m thinking 4-6 oz.)
Columbus @ 60 (20 ibu)
Citra @ 10 (10 ibu)
Mosaic @ 5 (10 ibu)
Idaho 7 @ Flame out (20 ibu)

Whirlpool @ 180 for 30
1 oz. Columbus
1 oz. Citra
1 oz. Mosaic
2 oz. Idaho 7
2 oz. Galaxy

Dry Hop
5 oz. Galaxy
2.5 oz. Citra
2.5 oz. Mosaic LUPOMAX

soft-crashing then dry-hoping at 55*F
Looks good but I’d be careful either the hop totals and the ibu target. My suggestion would be to cut your boil and whirlpool amounts in half. Targeting no more that 20-25 ibus hotside as you will pick up some ibus from the mash, whirlpool and even some from the dryhops. Having 60 ibus from boil hops alone is asking for trouble IMHO

Ok cool, I'll definitely cut the hot side hops down and only do half of the WP hops. I usually don't get much from the WP anyways. I'm hoping the mash hop, I7 hot side addition, and large dry hop get me where I want to be. That along with the spelt will hopefully be the winning ticket. I am tempted to add a small addition of flaked oats in the sparge water just because it seems so weird not adding any oats but idk....we will see what happens on brew day. Thanks for the suggestions!

What do you get from Riwaka, Enigma and Rakau when used in DH?
Riwaka has citrus, grapefruit, tropical notes with a cool lite herbals earthy thing. Also you do get that NZ hop thing.

Rakau came off very stone fruit like. Maybe apricot is the best comparison but I really loved what it brought.

Enigma is just extremely unique. It’s hard to say exactly the flavor it brings (if you use it you’ll see what I mean) but it’s like an dark berry with earth and NZ hop character. Extremely potent. I found it pairs really well with mosiac and Nelson.

Riwaka has citrus, grapefruit, tropical notes with a cool lite herbals earthy thing. Also you do get that NZ hop thing.

Rakau came off very stone fruit like. Maybe apricot is the best comparison but I really loved what it brought.

Enigma is just extremely unique. It’s hard to say exactly the flavor it brings (if you use it you’ll see what I mean) but it’s like an dark berry with earth and NZ hop character. Extremely potent. I found it pairs really well with mosiac and Nelson.
Enigma is amazing. It really is hard to describe it as it’s so unique. Depending on your palette you may taste different things. I get a really strong white wine kind of thing...much more than I’ve ever gotten from Nelson even though that’s one it’s main descriptors. I’ve done a single hop enigma beer twice, and both times it was insanely potent. Sometimes I struggle to pick out specific hop characteristics, but with enigma it’s just BOOM! Right there in your face.

I had a single hop enigma beer from a local brewery and it was virtually identical to the two beers I made. If you haven’t tried it, I highly recommend it. Even if you don’t end up liking it as much as I do, it’s incredibly unique and worth playing around with.

Enigma is amazing. It really is hard to describe it as it’s so unique. Depending on your palette you may taste different things. I get a really strong white wine kind of thing...much more than I’ve ever gotten from Nelson even though that’s one it’s main descriptors. I’ve done a single hop enigma beer twice, and both times it was insanely potent. Sometimes I struggle to pick out specific hop characteristics, but with enigma it’s just BOOM! Right there in your face.

I had a single hop enigma beer from a local brewery and it was virtually identical to the two beers I made. If you haven’t tried it, I highly recommend it. Even if you don’t end up liking it as much as I do, it’s incredibly unique and worth playing around with.
I really need to pick up some Enigma, sounds so interesting. Managed to get 7oz of Nectaron so really looking forward to brewing with it. Now just to decide what to pair it with

Enigma is one of the crazier hops I’ve used. In my experience it dominates most other hops and doesn’t seem to fade. That being said, I’d be cautious about using it in large percentages on the cold side.

I posted my experiences with nectaron a little while ago in this thread. Here it is in the link below. Great hop!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/northeast-style-ipa.568046/post-9135991
Thanks for the link. Don't have some of those hops to do the exact combinations but I'll see what I can come up with. I'm sure Citra would work a treat and maybe one other hop. Would Riwaka work with Nectaron? I bought a half pound of it with no no plan to use it in anything?

Studies have shown that heavy dry hopping can actually decrease IBUs... crazy right?

Edward is 80 theoretical IBUs. It’s 5.2%

Julius is over 50 theoretical I believe as well

HBC586 is maybe my new favorite, although the 2020 crop isn’t as good as 2019 (same can be said for a lot of hops due to the smoke).

Just ordered some HBC735 from YCH for an upcoming beer. Sounds like it could be interesting...

My brewery is opening hopefully around Labor Day. We’ll be brewing a lot of this beer that leans heavy in the “tropical” end of the spectrum. I built it with Nectaron being a decent amount of the blend but drug my feet on contracting it cause of the price and when I finally pulled the trigger it was gone. HBC586 and Citra were the other two hops with 586 dominating. We’re brewing on a small 3.5/4 bbl steam system and have a bunch of 1bbl and 1/2bbl unitanks so we can split a batch 4+ ways and try different variables like DH varieties, different yeasts, pitch rates, etc.

Beer will be 586/Idaho 7 heavy on the hotside and the DH will get split up into different combos.

586/Citra/Bru-1 Lupomax
586/Bru-1 Lupo/HBC735
586/Nelson/HBC735
586/Bru-1 Lupo/Nelson

Might even try a little 7g batch with Cosmic punch and the remaining Nectaron I have at home.

We’ll be mash hopping with some HBC520 which is supposed to have the highest 3MH content of any hop...

Last edited:
Studies have shown that heavy dry hopping can actually decrease IBUs... crazy right?

Edward is 80 theoretical IBUs. It’s 5.2%

Julius is over 50 theoretical I believe as well

HBC586 is maybe my new favorite, although the 2020 crop isn’t as good as 2019 (same can be said for a lot of hops due to the smoke).

Just ordered some HBC735 from YCH for an upcoming beer. Sounds like it could be interesting...

My brewery is opening hopefully around Labor Day. We’ll be brewing a lot of this beer that leans heavy in the “tropical” end of the spectrum. I built it with Nectaron being a decent amount of the blend but drug my feet on contracting it cause of the price and when I finally pulled the trigger it was gone. HBC586 and Citra were the other two hops with 586 dominating. We’re brewing on a small 3.5/4 bbl steam system and have a bunch of 1bbl and 1/2bbl unitanks so we can split a batch 4+ ways and try different variables like DH varieties, different yeasts, pitch rates, etc.

Beer will be 586/Idaho 7 heavy on the hotside and the DH will get split up into different combos.

586/Citra/Bru-1 Lupomax
586/Bru-1 Lupo/HBC735
586/Nelson/HBC735
586/Bru-1 Lupo/Nelson

Might even try a little 7g batch with Cosmic punch and the remaining Nectaron I have at home.

We’ll be mash hopping with some HBC520 which is supposed to have the highest 3MH content of any hop...
What brewery are you opening? Did I miss something?

Hey congrats on the brewery @couchsending!

I've been working on putting together a ~2bbl plan to run on the side (it would work well alongside my normal hours), but the right space at the right price hasn't really materialized. At least not enough for me to take the leap.

Last edited:
Sorry to be Mister Word Person, but..

One of the following relates to our sense of taste/flavor : pallet (of lumber), pallette (of paints), or palate (part of the anatomy).
Pretty sure this is directed at me. I usually use the talk to text function on here so a lot of times I fall victim to autocorrect mistakes. Often times I’ll say what I want to say and then fix any errors before posting, but this time I did not. Anyway, I’m a bit of a word person as well.

How do Riwaka and Rakau compare?
I guess "that NZ hop thing" means Riwaka is a bit more potent/in your face.
I read a few disappointing reviews about single hop beers with Rakau but if it is considered a good hop to add in combination with others in an NEIPA I might try it sometime as it's a lot less expensive and more readily available for me than Riwaka.

How do Riwaka and Rakau compare?
I guess "that NZ hop thing" means Riwaka is a bit more potent/in your face.
I read a few disappointing reviews about single hop beers with Rakau but if it is considered a good hop to add in combination with others in an NEIPA I might try it sometime as it's a lot less expensive and more readily available for me than Riwaka.

That NZ hop thing can also be diesel. It's common in Riwaka, and the one bag I had was pretty seriously diesel-heavy. So much so, that the NZ Pils was pretty undrinkable for about a month. I know folks get different batches and some folks also like the note, so don't take this as a red flag. I might use Riwaka again, I'll just blend it with a non-NZ or a diesel-free NZ hop. I have to say though, it's a really potent hop.

Brewery is called Offset Bier Co. We’re in Park City, UT. Prolly gonna have to travel to PC to get any. Small space. 600bbl capacity. Trying to sell it all out the front door. Just trying to make fresh modern beer for the local community and give back as much as we can. Lots of hoppy beer but also a focus on real traditional styles

Even though it’s a small 3.5/4bbl system we spent money on making sure we could make the beer we wanted to. Scrounged on Probrewe for used equipment for a year plus to be able to spend on the important stuff. Full RO system for water, steam brewhouse that we can step mash on, shell and tube heat eX for lowering WP temps, oversized chiller, enough tanks to give lagers the correct amount of time, etc. 3 7bbl FVs, 1 5bbl FV, 3 7bbl Brites, a collection of 1bbl and 1/2bbl unitanks. Partner has 10 years of professional brewing experience from a 120bbl Braukon and everything in between.

I just stay out of the way when it comes to the brewing. Mostly my recipes and overall brewing philosophy/ethos but I knew I didn’t have enough knowledge to pull it off on the professional scale by myself. First four beers are in the tanks. Hopefully 5th one tomorrow (the one I was talking about earlier). We do have a small Wild Goose Gosling so we will be canning a limited amount. Liquor laws in UT are fun to say the least so limited to 5% beer on draft. We will can higher ABV beers but can’t consume them onsite. Probably won’t make many over 6.5%. Maybe 3 or 4 a year over that.

Made some really good connections for hops though so access to some of the best hand selected hops in the world from one of my favorite hoppy beer breweries in the US. Dry hopped the first beer two days ago, pulling hops and cooling the tank starting today. Pretty stoked on the samples so far.

First 5

Dopo: Highly Hopped 5% beer
-Mosaic, Nelson Simcoe
-mosaic heavy hot, Nelson heavy DH

Kolsch: Ireks malt, Perle/Tett, ECY Kolschbier.

Pale Lager: Ires Pils, Aramis, MI Saaz, BSI 34/70

Extraversa: Fruited Quick Sour. Lallemand Helveticus Pitch, Lallemand Voss. Passionfruit, Brazilian Guava, Tangerine

Divi: (the one I was talking about yesterday)

I’ll be sure to keep you guys updated on what I find out with different hops and process tweaks and what not.

Brewery is called Offset Bier Co. We’re in Park City, UT. Prolly gonna have to travel to PC to get any. Small space. 600bbl capacity. Trying to sell it all out the front door. Just trying to make fresh modern beer for the local community and give back as much as we can. Lots of hoppy beer but also a focus on real traditional styles

Even though it’s a small 3.5/4bbl system we spent money on making sure we could make the beer we wanted to. Scrounged on Probrewe for used equipment for a year plus to be able to spend on the important stuff. Full RO system for water, steam brewhouse that we can step mash on, shell and tube heat eX for lowering WP temps, oversized chiller, enough tanks to give lagers the correct amount of time, etc. 3 7bbl FVs, 1 5bbl FV, 3 7bbl Brites, a collection of 1bbl and 1/2bbl unitanks. Partner has 10 years of professional brewing experience from a 120bbl Braukon and everything in between.

I just stay out of the way when it comes to the brewing. Mostly my recipes and overall brewing philosophy/ethos but I knew I didn’t have enough knowledge to pull it off on the professional scale by myself. First four beers are in the tanks. Hopefully 5th one tomorrow (the one I was talking about earlier). We do have a small Wild Goose Gosling so we will be canning a limited amount. Liquor laws in UT are fun to say the least so limited to 5% beer on draft. We will can higher ABV beers but can’t consume them onsite. Probably won’t make many over 6.5%. Maybe 3 or 4 a year over that.

Made some really good connections for hops though so access to some of the best hand selected hops in the world from one of my favorite hoppy beer breweries in the US. Dry hopped the first beer two days ago, pulling hops and cooling the tank starting today. Pretty stoked on the samples so far.

First 5

-Mosaic, Nelson Simcoe

Extraversa: Fruited Quick Sour. Lallemand Helveticus Pitch, Lallemand Voss. Passionfruit, Brazilian Guava, Tangerine

I’ll be sure to keep you guys updated on what I find out with different hops and process tweaks and what not.
This is awesome...congratulations and best of luck to you! Please keep us updated as the journey unfolds.

First 5

-Mosaic, Nelson Simcoe

Wow what a crazy laws! Looks like the perfect small batch system to have fun on. Good luck with it all!

Im assuming this is you? Looks great! Im totally jealous.

https://www.instagram.com/offsetbier/?hl=en
Also...east coast yeast is located 5 minutes from my dad’s house and half an hour from my house. Good dudes there....slightly surprised a Utah based brewery is using them but it’s a small world. So cool.

Last edited:
That NZ hop thing can also be diesel. It's common in Riwaka, and the one bag I had was pretty seriously diesel-heavy. So much so, that the NZ Pils was pretty undrinkable for about a month. I know folks get different batches and some folks also like the note, so don't take this as a red flag. I might use Riwaka again, I'll just blend it with a non-NZ or a diesel-free NZ hop. I have to say though, it's a really potent hop.
Thanks for the info on Riwaka

Opinion seems to be divided on Rakau from it being too mild and having to use too much for a hoppy beer to it being nice and fruity. I'll oder a 100g bag and brew a single hop pale ale to see what I think of it myself before buying in bulk for use in IPAs.

First 5

-Mosaic, Nelson Simcoe

That’s awesome man and a really big step. Congrats!

Those old Mormon puritan laws... it silly that 5+% can be packaged but not poured, just makes it harder for smaller breweries to be competitive with current trends In the market. Your going to get all the taprooms and nano/micros brewers together and petition and change that.

That’s awesome man and a really big step. Congrats!

Those old Mormon puritan laws... it silly that 5+% can be packaged but not poured, just makes it harder for smaller breweries to be competitive with current trends In the market. Your going to get all the taprooms and nano/micros brewers together and petition and change that.

So less than 2 years ago it was only 4% or below on tap.. Brewers Guild managed to got it to 5%. 6.5% on tap would be nice but honestly I’m fine with 5%. If we get a full liquor license (which isn’t hard) we can sell over 5% beer and have it consumed onsite but we still need to package it in a can (or bottle)... yeah dumb I know.

Might make one IIPA a year, maybe a coffee stout that’s 7.5 or so but that’s it. No real desire to brew all the hyped high ABV stuff. One aspect of the breweries name and overall brand identity is making sure we “offset” the potential negative side effects of alcohol. We live in a very active/outdoorsy/healthy living type of place. Going to be doing a lot to promote excercise, working with the local nonprofits that help to facilitate all the amazing outdoor stuff and raise awareness for mental health. A lot of people here would honestly rather drink lower ABV beers. Sure there’s a market for quad IPAs and Pastry Stouts but it doesn’t interest me at all. Not leveraged to the gills so we can make the beer we want to make and dump stuff down the drain (or have it tricked away actually) that we’re not stoked on.

So less than 2 years ago it was only 4% or below on tap.. Brewers Guild managed to got it to 5%. 6.5% on tap would be nice but honestly I’m fine with 5%. If we get a full liquor license (which isn’t hard) we can sell over 5% beer and have it consumed onsite but we still need to package it in a can (or bottle)... yeah dumb I know.

Might make one IIPA a year, maybe a coffee stout that’s 7.5 or so but that’s it. No real desire to brew all the hyped high ABV stuff. One aspect of the breweries name and overall brand identity is making sure we “offset” the potential negative side effects of alcohol. We live in a very active/outdoorsy/healthy living type of place. Going to be doing a lot to promote excercise, working with the local nonprofits that help to facilitate all the amazing outdoor stuff and raise awareness for mental health. A lot of people here would honestly rather drink lower ABV beers. Sure there’s a market for quad IPAs and Pastry Stouts but it doesn’t interest me at all. Not leveraged to the gills so we can make the beer we want to make and dump stuff down the drain (or have it tricked away actually) that we’re not stoked on.
Makes sense. Sounds like that’s perfect for the local market. I’m in a huge TIPA and imperial stout market. They said. Suarez, Drowned Land, Wayward Lane brewing are helping bring more attention to great lagers and farmhouse style beers

I seen a few in here say they are messing with Cosmic Punch. I am also going to experiment with it too but put a big emphasis on the wine character from it as it was described. The recipe is still going to be up in the air until I brew it Sunday. I want to push some IBUs in the boil to give it a little life as I am getting hazied out.

I want something crispy, not too sweet, good body and a decent bitterness. (drank too many alchemist beers over the weekend and made me miss them)
End around 1.015 per Brewfather to plan for it to attenuate more like @secretlevel said. Hopefully to stay above 1.012.

85% Pilsner
6.5% Flaked Wheat
5% GNO
3.5% Carafoam

or

65.5% Pilsner
13% Vienna
10% Flaked Wheat
6.5% White Wheat
5% GNO

Cascade in the mash.

Warrior to bitter to 35 IBU (about 50 IBU when all done with the mash hops)

Citra, Nelson Sauvin and Mosaic in the whirlpool 150 degrees

Then the same three for 2 dry hops

The grain bill might end up on a dartboard and it will pick what I use. I am leaning towards the bottom one a little due to the malt balance to the bitterness but I like the simplicity of the top one to let the fermentation and hops shine.

edit: 1.066 OG or so and 152 mash temp

Last edited:
Haven’t brewed a NEIPA in a while but I’m going to end up doing a split 12 gallon batch(6gal into both fermenters)this week at some point

Water
Ca: 120
Mg: 16
Cl: 230
Na: 84
So4: 138
5.3 ph

grains
77% - 2row
20% - spelt
3% - honey malt

Mash
40 mins - 146
30 mins - 162
10 mins - mash out

yeast
Imperial a24 - dryhop

Hotside hops
Columbus t90 @ 60 & 10 - target 30ibu

whirlpool @ 170*f for 20 mins
Columbus LUPOMAX
Cascade LUPOMAX
1:1 ratio

Dryhop FV 1
Enigma
Nelson
Mosaic LUPOMAX
2:1:1
(Going for dank assorted berry profile

Dryhop FV 2
Bru-1 t90 & LUPOMAX
Vic Secret
Sabro LUPOMAX
3:1:1
(Going for pineapple/island tropical profile)

softcrashing and dryhoping at 56-58*f

Will follow up when in the keg
Just following up with some more info for anyone planning on trying either of these recipes. I entered both beers in Malt Madness competition that was held yesterday. Technically I personally entered FV2 - Flockin’ Juicy and since my wife helped brew the beers I let her enter FV1 - Max.

Max took Gold in 21b New England IPA with a 39 and Flockin’ Juicy took Silver with a 35.5. As of yesterday the beers were about 2.5 months in the keg and they were bottled from the keg and shipped in the summer heat, which makes me wonder what they would score if I entered them fresher and at a better shipping time of year.

anyway, here are the score sheets if you feel like trying this beer so you can make adjustments if you’re interested.
5B34E670-EBB9-4420-87B3-0F5E1422B003.jpeg
F119FA58-9063-4C7E-AA8A-C66D75D3DB0A.jpeg

I personally entered FV2 - Flockin’ Juicy and since my wife helped brew the beers I let her enter FV1 - Max. Max took Gold in 21b New England IPA with a 39 and Flockin’ Juicy took Silver with a 35.5.

So why do we pay any attention to dgallo, it's the wife that's clearly the expert brewer!
(as I'm sure she has mentioned once or twice...)

Curious what adjustments if any you would make to FV2 as I'll be brewing this in the next couple of weeks. I have all my ingredients ready to go just need to find the time as work is so busy.

Congratulations on the scores of both. I pretty sure transport had an effect on the beers.

Just following up with some more info for anyone planning on trying either of these recipes. I entered both beers in Malt Madness competition that was held yesterday. Technically I personally entered FV2 - Flockin’ Juicy and since my wife helped brew the beers I let her enter FV1 - Max.

Max took Gold in 21b New England IPA with a 39 and Flockin’ Juicy took Silver with a 35.5. As of yesterday the beers were about 2.5 months in the keg and they were bottled from the keg and shipped in the summer heat, which makes me wonder what they would score if I entered them fresher and at a better shipping time of year.

anyway, here are the score sheets if you feel like trying this beer so you can make adjustments if you’re interested. View attachment 739155View attachment 739156

Congrats!

Brewed first time with Cosmic Punch last week, just transferred into dry hop keg today after a 52F soft crash for 36 hours. The pre-DH flavor is absolutely phenomenal right now. I made a few other process tweaks with this one as well so those are probably contributing, but this is far and away the best one of my NEIPAs has ever tasted before a DH. I'll follow up in a few days with final product. OG was 1.069 and finished at 1.018 for 73% attenuation and 6.7% abv.

Super excited to keep trying out the Cosmic Punch.

PXL_20210816_124504536.jpg

Recipe for 5.5 gallons was mostly following @Dgallo recent batches, plus some carafoam.
9lb 2-Row
3lb Spelt
1lb Carafoam
0.25lb Honey Malt

Cl:S04:Ca - 200:125:100

Mashed for 60min at 150F, mash hopped 60min with 2oz Cascade and 1oz Columbus

1oz Citra @ 15min
1oz Citra @ 5min

2oz Citra, 2oz Citra LupoMax, 4oz Strata WP @ 170F for 20min

2oz Citra, 2oz Citra LupoMax, 4oz Strata DH

Brewed first time with Cosmic Punch last week, just transferred into dry hop keg today after a 52F soft crash for 36 hours. The pre-DH flavor is absolutely phenomenal right now. I made a few other process tweaks with this one as well so those are probably contributing, but this is far and away the best one of my NEIPAs has ever tasted before a DH. I'll follow up in a few days with final product. OG was 1.069 and finished at 1.018 for 73% attenuation and 6.7% abv.

Super excited to keep trying out the Cosmic Punch.

View attachment 739254

Recipe for 5.5 gallons was mostly following @Dgallo recent batches, plus some carafoam.
9lb 2-Row
3lb Spelt
1lb Carafoam
0.25lb Honey Malt

Cl:S04:Ca - 200:125:100

Mashed for 60min at 150F, mash hopped 60min with 2oz Cascade and 1oz Columbus

1oz Citra @ 15min
1oz Citra @ 5min

2oz Citra, 2oz Citra LupoMax, 4oz Strata WP @ 170F for 20min

2oz Citra, 2oz Citra LupoMax, 4oz Strata DH

Picked up a pouch at ABS last week too, but haven't bee able to brew yet. How did you choose your mash hop varietals and amounts? I've seen the info provided by Omega & Janish. Got any additional info?

I kegged my batch of NEIPA with the Cosmic Punch yeast last night and decided to add an ounce of the Cryo Pop blend in the keg.

It finished at 1.012 which works out to 77% attenuation.

I didn't taste it but the aroma going into the keg was very overripe melon/fruit smoothie, which is not something I've experienced in the past with Nelson heavy beers.

I'll pull a sample in a few days, after it has had some time to carb up, and report back.

Back