New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly - the legal tripwire is not against making/using trangenics per se, but against doing so without a licence. I myself have made and used lots of transgenics - bacteria, yeast, plants - in a European country, but in a licensed lab.

A lot of it is Monsanto's fault, it could have been rather different if they hadn't been so stupid/arrogant.

A lot of it is Monsanto's fault, it could have been rather different if they hadn't been so stupid/arrogant.
Definitely agreed. The legislation certainly exists for good reasons, but the repercussions are quite annoying at times, and the hysteria that some people feel towards GMOs is only exacerbated by the existence of such controls.

Last edited:
Obviously the hops drop straight to the bottom of the fermenter when you soft cash to 15 to dry hop.
What methods do you guys use for maximum extraction, or do you just leave them to sink to the bottom.
Ive just been tipping the fermzilla upside down for a min .
I cant blast co2 through the bottom as i take the collection jar off to fit in fermenter

Last edited:
What size batch do you guys brew to end up with a full 5 gal? (with typical hop loss using T90 pellets)

Same as Dgallo 6gal in the fermenter. I'm using a Grainfather G30 so you get 5gal of pure beer in the keg while having 6 gal in the fermenter. I lost approx 1 gal in the fermenter (dropping yeast, dry hop absorbtion, dumping dryhop before kegging)

Fortunate to get the chance to have a @Dgallo HB special. Hop combo isn't something I would've thought of but its great. I get some bright berry fruitiness in this one with some nice depth of earthy/true hop character. And for those who've wondered about spelt malt, this body is really good given no oats or other body building malts other than spelt. It is pillow soft with a nice head. Malted oats may have slightly more shaving cream and head retentive qualities but I like spelt based on this beer and my own HB experiences. So for those who are looking to take a break from the 40-50% oat based grain bills, this is something you would enjoy. Spelt brings a pillow softness with great medium mouthfeel that's not heavy in the least. Thanks @Dgallo for sending this man. Well done! at 7.8%, you'd never know it as it drinks really easy like a mid 6%er. My only regret is having to share it with my wife lol. BTW she likes it a lot too. Sun is down and can never get good lighting indoors so pic is not optimal as the beer is lighter in color, hazy but not really murky.

IMG_0311.jpg

I never jumped on the 20-40% flaked adjuncts bandwagon myself. I have for the moment settled on 7% each of flaked wheat/oats with decent results. I usually do MO and 2 row 50/50 with honey malt around 2.5%. Tried Golden Promise & Pilsner, I will have to try Spelt.

Right now i'm drinking Sip of Sunshine Clone that's two months old and still really good! Its so hard to screw up a all citra beer! So crisp and clean. I learned the hard way to account for hop absorption, I'm at 9.25 gallons for a 1.065 NEIPA with my system.

I believe dgallo uses a counter pressure bottle filler. I don’t bottle myself as I keg only. When I want to package I use my homebrewclub canner and a beer gun which isn’t a counter pressure filler. In all cases you pray lol. In all seriousness though even when I can with the blochman beer gun, I purposely overflow the can so that the top of the foam that was exposed to oxygen in the 1minute procedure during filling does not end up in the can. I’ve opened cans that I’ve done 1 -2 months after canning and it’s still pretty solid. Cap on foam!

How did you manage to bottle this without exposing it to oxygen? What was your process?
Yeah. I have the Tap Cooler bottle filler that is inserted into any forward sealing tap. You can minimize o2 and keep your beer fully carbonated while filling bottles.
7E654129-275D-497B-845C-DFB889747567.jpeg

What size batch do you guys brew to end up with a full 5 gal? (with typical hop loss using T90 pellets)
You can always top up a keg with a small amount of pre-boiled water if you are trying to fill it to capacity. Make sure the water is boiled and cooled to deplete any residual oxygen from the water. You can usually add a quart or so without noticing it.

Honestly, I haven't had any oxidation issues just filling from keg using a picnic tap and a bottling wand. Trick for me has been to top the bottles off by pressing the wand against the top of the neck after the initial fill. This helps leave less room for oxygen and generates the foam to push O2 out.

For comps, I'll do a 10 sec CO2 purge and the bottles hold up for months as good as the keg. I ship bottles across the country in summer and they don't turn brown at all, but I would definitely lose a tiny bit of carb so the counter pressure filler would be cool.

If anyone is interested, I sent my two most recent beers to Kyle from No Hype beer reviews as he is semi local to me and he reviewed “Max” which was FV1 from the split. Here is a little recap
So FV 1 just got tapped this morning. Enigma, Mosaic LUPOMAX, and Nelson. Actual og was 1.071 and finished 1.012 so we are right around 7.8%. Lots of berry/wine notes with some earthy resinous notes in the finish. There’s also the undeniable NZ oil like notes

. This beer is exceptionally soft. I think spelt reall does make a difference. 100% top tier quality all together. Very excited to see how the other beer shapes up View attachment 732184

Here is the link if you’re interested

If anyone is interested, I sent my two most recent beers to Kyle from No Hype beer reviews as he is semi local to me and he reviewed “Max” which was FV1 from the split. Here is a little recap

Here is the link if you’re interested

Great review @Dgallo I described in previous post a "bright berry fruitiness" vibe and he described it as "cereal berry or Flintstone vitamins". lol would have never thought of those descriptions but definitely concur. Congrats man!

It’s an awesome piece of equipment that’s crazy simple
Use one myself and it's a great piece of kit. It's expensive though. Kegland have what looks to me an exact rip off of it but at half the price coming out soon. I payed nearly €100 for it with the few accessories.

Use one myself and it's a great piece of kit. It's expensive though. Kegland have what looks to me an exact rip off of it but at half the price coming out soon. I payed nearly €100 for it with the few accessories.
It’s def not my cheapest equipment but will still call in cost effective verses a counter pressure beer gun. Beer guns are typically $140+ and have so much more to clean.

It’s def not my cheapest equipment but will still call in cost effective verses a counter pressure beer gun. Beer guns are typically $140+ and have so much more to clean.
Totally agree. Have a beer gun and a Chinese counter pressure filler and the Tapcooler is hands down the best. I love it's small footprint too for storage.

Wonder if the Alibaba Kegland will get them

Where did you see this? I only saw one that is meant for bottles, that looks like it could easily be adjusted for cans though

2nd of 2 HB NEIPAs courtesy of @Dgallo . First one was the "Max" beer. This one has Bru-1, Citra, Vic Secret dry hopped. I will also say that I don't think Ive ever had a commercial beer with Bru-1 yet and I definitely never brewed with it, so I was excited for this hop combo. First impression at the first sip? Pineapple! I have seen many descriptions on YVH and other hop sites with pineapple to describe a hops flavor, but this is the first beer I have honestly ever had where upon the first sip - it was immediately detectable - pineapple! Afterwards, its a great tropical vibe overall. Aroma is solid and mostly tropical. But overall the flavor isn't just a sweet fruit-bomb, but its balanced well with some classic earthy/pungent hop flavor which I always prefer to balance the sweeter hop flavors. Same grain bill as the other home-brew (Max) provided so my light and pillowy comments still stand here. But I really like this hop combo a lot! Ive also brewed with vic secret before and know it can be intense, but not in this beer. Its definitely present but not overpowering. Assuming @Dgallo reduced the quantity of vic secret to keep everything in balance. This is definitely a hop combo I will try - but now I need to buy some bru-1! damn you @Dgallo making me buy more hops! lol. Cheers and thanks for the HBs!

IMG_0351.jpg

For the Canucks in the group.. Escarpment just dropped an exciting new hybrid - Hydra
Cross between Conan and Sacch Trois

Can't wait!

https://www.notion.so/Hydra-Info-Sheet-Escarpment-Labs-4dcd7bb2e70849e7be3b13d0ecf238f1
I love how open these guys are with the level of technical detail they provide. I find it quite curious that it's lost the STA1 gene resulting in such low attenuation numbers. 65-72% is quite low for me.

From the website:
"The lower attenuation can help combat the unexpectedly high attenuation resulting from hop creep that results in unbalanced hazy IPAs. See Info Page for more details."

I think most people try avoid hop creep with the soft crash, like myself. I know there are breweries out there that don't. So it would be very interesting to try purposely letting it creep with this yeast and seeing if it ends up being balanced.

Malt Miller might get them in or ikegger.eu might be worth keeping an eye on. The Aliexpress store is painfully slow for delivery.

Patience should be a virtue of a home brewer :)
I'm in Europe so would definitely be interested if Aliexpress strted selling a version.
The big homebrew specialty shops are a bit more expensive but I usually get something within 2 or 3 weeks of ordering.

Well a couple weeks back I posted about brewing a NEIPA that I needed to get done in 2 weeks grain to glass. I brewed this beer on july 3rd and will be serving at my pigroast this saturday the 17th. Results are so far so good, I went with a tried and true hop combo being that I didnt want to over complicate it with already dealing with a short turn around time. So Simcoe, Citra, Mosaic hot side and dry hopped with Citra and Galaxy. I have been lucky enough to get good batches of Galaxy so I am not concerned with that. Fermented with omega voss kveik @94f for 3 days and she was done, crashed to 48f on the 6th, did a yeast dump and dry hopped on the 8th, kegged on the 11th and have all 3 kegs from this 15gal batch force carbing. So it will have 6 days in the keg to hopefully mature into a proper NEIPA. I will be giving it a first taste test this evening (other the the hydro sample before dry hop). Ill let you all know how the first taste goes, thanks for everyones input.

2nd of 2 HB NEIPAs courtesy of @Dgallo . First one was the "Max" beer. This one has Bru-1, Citra, Vic Secret dry hopped. I will also say that I don't think Ive ever had a commercial beer with Bru-1 yet and I definitely never brewed with it, so I was excited for this hop combo. First impression at the first sip? Pineapple! I have seen many descriptions on YVH and other hop sites with pineapple to describe a hops flavor, but this is the first beer I have honestly ever had where upon the first sip - it was immediately detectable - pineapple! Afterwards, its a great tropical vibe overall. Aroma is solid and mostly tropical. But overall the flavor isn't just a sweet fruit-bomb, but its balanced well with some classic earthy/pungent hop flavor which I always prefer to balance the sweeter hop flavors. Same grain bill as the other home-brew (Max) provided so my light and pillowy comments still stand here. But I really like this hop combo a lot! Ive also brewed with vic secret before and know it can be intense, but not in this beer. Its definitely present but not overpowering. Assuming @Dgallo reduced the quantity of vic secret to keep everything in balance. This is definitely a hop combo I will try - but now I need to buy some bru-1! damn you @Dgallo making me buy more hops! lol. Cheers and thanks for the HBs!

View attachment 735355
I ordered the hops and spelt to brew this. Hoping to brew it next weekend if the hops turn up on time. They got delivered to the parcel forwarding service I use in New Jersey today so usually take another week to get to Ireland after that. Can wait to brew this, sounds fantastic. My only difference will be using London Fog instead of Dry Hop.

Just got home and poured a taster glass. Still needs a little time but overall this is a great beer and should be even better by the weekend.
View attachment 735427
Good man looks tasty well done.

It can`t be that you are from Duncannon in Wexford Ireland or is there another Duncannon somewhere in the US?
It's a sea village 15 miles from where I was born.

Last edited:
Back