New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed up an attempt at the style this weekend! Color looks nice going to the fermenter! She took off very nicely. Pitched yeast at 230-3pm on Saturday, had activity start around 11pm based on readings from the tilt hydro. As of today, tilt hydro says it's at 1.030ish (1.066 to start).

I've been having some lag issues on the last few batches that I've done where I haven't seen any activity through the blowoff until 48 hours later or longer, so this was a nice and welcome change to see activity by 8-9 hour mark. Only thing I did differently was used whirlfloc and yeast nutrient in the boil. Not sure how much either of those would help...?

View attachment 688286

not sure is whirlfloc and or yeast nutrient help with “take off time” but perhaps is the whirlfloc drops out stuff you don’t want in the fermenter eventually, it would provide a more “hospitable” environment for the yeast to do their thing more quickly? Not sure. Unless I’m using kviek, most all my fermentation’s for this style start taking off between 8-12hrs post pitch but I use whirlfloc every time. Interesting but not sure of that association

I'm about to double down on Janish's findings.

http://scottjanish.com/what-we-know-about-dry-hopping/
I'll be transferring the beer off after just over 24 hr contact time on a single DH charge on my latest creation. It's also cold crashing at 36F. I've never gone that short or that cold.

Has anyone else?

Just Kegged a 6oz DH that was in my Chronical for 48h. First 24-30h at 60F and then slowly cold crashed to 40.... It was Galaxy-Eldorado-Citra (2:2:2). Aroma is out of this world but got a little hop burn as there is a lot of hop in suspension.

It's force carbing now. Gonna let the keg sit for 4-5 days in the kegerator before connecting the faucet.

I haven’t read it in a while but I thought the 24hr rule of thumb from his book applied to a higher temp for full extraction ie 60s. So cooler temps will take slightly longer for full extraction (without any agitation)
Kind of. But that doesn't tell the full story.

Paraphrasing, linalool (fruity) extracts faster at lower temperatures. In another study (this might be his other blog post, A Case for Short And Cool Dry Hopping), they test Eureka at 30F and find that linalool and geraniol (fruity) experience most of their extraction within the first two days, while myrcene (resinous) between days 1-2. They found that a beer dry hopped for just 24 hours scored the highest in the fruity category; he infers that this is because the resinous compounds "catch up" with the fruity compounds.

These are just two data points. I'm going to give it a whirl regardless.

Last edited:
Kind of. But that doesn't tell the full story.

Paraphrasing, linalool (fruity) extracts faster at lower temperatures. In another study (this might be his other blog post, A Case for Short And Cool Dry Hopping), they test Eureka at 30F and find that linalool and geraniol (fruity) experience most of their extraction within the first two days, while myrcene (resinous) between days 1-2. They found that a beer dry hopped for just 24 hours scored the highest in the fruity category; he infers that this is because the resinous compounds "catch up" with the fruity compounds.

These are just two data points. I'm going to give it a whirl regardless.
Good luck and please report back on how it went!

Ok. I brewed this without any issue. Used 1318 and kegged May 8. Closed transfer. No oxygen ingress. I use a Clear Draught System to draw from top. This beer is delicious. No hop burn at all.

HOWEVER...it is a funky pea soup looking color. One if my loyal drinkers said it looked like pus but he loves the flavor. Close your eyes and it's as delicious a juicy neipa as you could wish for ...but the murkiness is off-putting.

All if my other NEIPAs have turned out tasty and beautiful hazy yellow. Any idea what went wrong? It's been kegged for 2 months so it's not going to drop anymore that is has already.

Looking for suggestions

Ok. I brewed this without any issue. Used 1318 and kegged May 8. Closed transfer. No oxygen ingress. I use a Clear Draught System to draw from top. This beer is delicious. No hop burn at all.

HOWEVER...it is a funky pea soup looking color. One if my loyal drinkers said it looked like pus but he loves the flavor. Close your eyes and it's as delicious a juicy neipa as you could wish for ...but the murkiness is off-putting.

All if my other NEIPAs have turned out tasty and beautiful hazy yellow. Any idea what went wrong? It's been kegged for 2 months so it's not going to drop anymore that is has already.

Looking for suggestions
Mine looks like that on the first couple of pours however, not 2 months after. hmmm....

Looking for suggestions
NZ or AUS? I’ve seen Pilsner malt in combo with malted oats and heavily dryhopped (especially with AUS or NZ come out almost milky/grey/pale yellow kind of color, like this
CDEE9983-A6F3-4F87-B0DA-4669915545F3.jpeg

That looks oxidized to me.

That looks oxidized to me.
Could very well be. There is terrible lighting in the picture so can’t say for sure, but tht beer is beyond hazy, even beyond murky.

It’s been a long time since I posted here because I haven’t been brewing and supporting local breweries. Lately though I’m getting the itch to brew.

I’m thinking of brewing with an expressive NE yeast that will throw many esters. I’ve always been a 1318 guy but want to venture to another yeast. To get some crazy esters, I’m thinking of fermenting super high, maybe 75*+. How high have some of y’all fermented and didn’t get any negative effects like diacetyl or alcohol burn? I don’t care to use Kviek yeast. I have Burlington Ale yeast readily available at a LHBS so will probably go with that.

It’s been a long time since I posted here because I haven’t been brewing and supporting local breweries. Lately though I’m getting the itch to brew.

I’m thinking of brewing with an expressive NE yeast that will throw many esters. I’ve always been a 1318 guy but want to venture to another yeast. To get some crazy esters, I’m thinking of fermenting super high, maybe 75*+. How high have some of y’all fermented and didn’t get any negative effects like diacetyl or alcohol burn? I don’t care to use Kviek yeast. I have Burlington Ale yeast readily available at a LHBS so will probably go with that.
There’s a few that come to mind;
A24 (max 76), A20 (Max 84), kviek Hornindal (max 100), of Kviek Voss (max 100). All will do you water justice but just make sure you’re pairing hops that will benefit the specific esters

Have you used any of the ones listed @Dgallo? I wanna push it to the limit and get a yeast out of its comfort zone and recommended temp. Thinking the esters will be somewhat fruit forward so I’ll probably use a fruit hop paired with some old school hops to bring some citrus, dank and resin.

Have you used any of the ones listed @Dgallo? I wanna push it to the limit and get a yeast out of its comfort zone and recommended temp. Thinking the esters will be somewhat fruit forward so I’ll probably use a fruit hop paired with some old school hops to bring some citrus, dank and resin.
I’ve used them all. a24 is my favorite yeast for the style, it’s a mix of citrus and stone fruit esters. A20 is very citrus forward, closest would be orange but not exactly. Voss is like a sweet orange. Hornindal people claim pineapple but I get a tropical pithy thing from it.

all will work great for what you want to do but just remember, more esters doesn’t necessarily mean better overall flavor. It’s all about the right balance and hop pairing for the ester profile.

Last edited:
If you’re using a traditional English yeast pushing the fermentation temp might get you more esters but you run the risk of creating a lot of higher alcohols that you don’t want in your beer.

Thank god I'm not the only one :p.
Can’t stand Kviek yeast either

Boooooooooooooooo.........

I use Kveik almost exclusively these days for my NEIPA's, fast turn around and delicious.
I've used Voss, voss Dry (yet to try the Mangrove Jacks version), Hornindal, and Opshaug.

The best so far is Opshaug, Voss is too citrusy and a little too bitter.

the trick with Opshaug was to build a start to the correct size, as there'll still be esters at 30Deg C, and undderpitching while it won't create off flavours, adds esters that I don't carefor.

It means for me, that I can turn around one of these beers in 8 days (Hot Tip drop your temp for the final dryhop down to 20 Deg C, to avoid grassy green flavours).

Keen to try Strata next.

Boooooooooooooooo.........

The best so far is Opshaug, Voss is too citrusy and a little too bitter.

the trick with Opshaug was to build a start to the correct size, as there'll still be esters at 30Deg C, and undderpitching while it won't create off flavours, adds esters that I don't carefor.

Keen to try Strata next.
I'd definitely be up for trying another strain. I only tried Voss and Hornindal. Didn't care for either, though I was extremely impressed with how fast Hornindal cleared a blonde ale up. Like I had crystal clear beer in two weeks.

I'd definitely be up for trying another strain. I only tried Voss and Hornindal. Didn't care for either, though I was extremely impressed with how fast Hornindal cleared a blonde ale up. Like I had crystal clear beer in two weeks.
Pitch rate and temp are everything with Voss and Hornindal kviek yeast. (I know there is a study that says otherwise but I have not anecdotally had similar results. I do not like under pitching them or run them too hot anymore. If you run a ipa at 90 with either of those two strains, it doesn’t matter what hops you use, every beer will taste the same. I found that around 80 to 85 with a “normal” under pitched pitched rate.. .5/.6 , it won’t over power the hops and Hornindal won’t flock crystal clear

NZ or AUS? I’ve seen Pilsner malt in combo with malted oats and heavily dryhopped (especially with AUS or NZ come out almost milky/grey/pale yellow kind of color, like this View attachment 688556
My last beer developed a grey tint to it similar to this. I'm fairly convinced its not oxidised but can't be 100% certain of course. Big dry hop, pale, malted oats & carapils...

I’ve had some ugly neipa. It was when i used some darker malts or a good amount of light crystal and a heavy dry hop with the yeast still in suspension
My last beer developed a grey tint to it similar to this. I'm fairly convinced its not oxidised but can't be 100% certain of course. Big dry hop, pale, malted oats & carapils...

I've seen this too, not on my ones, but the odd commercial one, But you can tell there's something wrong - they don't taste as they should. I'm going with oxidation IMO.

I’ve had some ugly neipa. It was when i used some darker malts or a good amount of light crystal and a heavy dry hop with the yeast still in suspension
Darker malts certainly look pretty average in these beers. My darkest malt was carapils at 10 ebc. Dropped the yeast before dry hop too. I'll try and get a photo but its strange. All roads point towards oxidation but its fermented in a unitank & spunded towards the end. Dry hop through a dropper where is was purged with loads of C02. Pressure transferred (closed loop) to a purged keg (full keg of sanitiser pushed out with c02) where its been on C02 ever since... Can't think of where it would have got oxidised if it did.

Attachments

• 20200709_141401.jpg
    20200709_141401.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • 20200709_141252.jpg
    20200709_141252.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43

I like Voss with the right hops, but its not ideal for an NEIPA, I've heard good thing from the lallemand dry which i used previously, when used on a west coat style IPA (Voss tends to add a citrus pith bitterness, which would work). hornindal was meh, similar, less citrus.

Opshaug (WLP 518) was very good picture below, galaxy, citra and mosaic, fruity neutral, but still "pillowy" finished at 1.015 from 1.064

Pitch rate and temp are everything with Voss and Hornindal kviek yeast. (I know there is a study that says otherwise but I have not anecdotally had similar results. I do not like under pitching them or run them too hot anymore. If you run a ipa at 90 with either of those two strains, it doesn’t matter what hops you use, every beer will taste the same. I found that around 80 to 85 with a “normal” under pitched pitched rate.. .5/.6 , it won’t over power the hops and Hornindal won’t flock crystal clear

agreed, Pitch rates are key in any yeast. and now I've had a play, I'd say this is even more important if you're using Kveik in a HAZY IPA. You want esters, but not the under-pitched ones, if that makes sense.

Going to try this one out next.
WLP519 Stranda Kveik Ale Yeast | White Labs

IMG_3023.jpg

I'm working on a recipe for my first NEIPA and wondering what yeast you all recommend. I don't have access to liquid yeast where I live, so my choices are basically what I currently have on hand. That is... Voss Kveik, London ESB, US-05, S-04, S-33, K-97, and T-58.

Any of these (or a combination of them) that you recommend? I was leaning towards Kveik or S-04.

I'm working on a recipe for my first NEIPA and wondering what yeast you all recommend. I don't have access to liquid yeast where I live, so my choices are basically what I currently have on hand. That is... Voss Kveik, London ESB, US-05, S-04, S-33, K-97, and T-58.

Any of these (or a combination of them) that you recommend? I was leaning towards Kveik or S-04.

Lots of folks would go with the S-04, but personally, I'd love to try S-33 for the style.

I can't speak to the Kveik, but I know there has been a discussion about it on this thread. From what I can tell, I might be worried about it making the beer too dry, but I am sure others have experience with making great NEIPA's with it. Still, for your first NEIPA, I might stay a bit conservative with the yeast. It's a tough style and so many other factors to focus on...

Lots of folks would go with the S-04, but personally, I'd love to try S-33 for the style.

I can't speak to the Kveik, but I know there has been a discussion about it on this thread. From what I can tell, I might be worried about it making the beer too dry, but I am sure others have experience with making great NEIPA's with it. Still, for your first NEIPA, I might stay a bit conservative with the yeast. It's a tough style and so many other factors to focus on...
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. S-33 has a bad reputation for stalling out and finishing too high, could be a headache. S-04 seems the safest, but I love how fast and easy Kveik is. Hmmm...

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. S-33 has a bad reputation for stalling out and finishing too high, could be a headache. S-04 seems the safest, but I love how fast and easy Kveik is. Hmmm...

I brewed my latest NEIPA with S33. No fermentation issues and finished exactly at the specified attenuation. I like it, but it's a bit too sweet for me (but so are quite a few many examples of the style from top breweries). I prefer the slightly drier finish of S04. K97 is also a very interesting yeast for the style based on a fermentis study presented in a webinar I posted some pages back.

I brewed my latest NEIPA with S33. No fermentation issues and finished exactly at the specified attenuation. I like it, but it's a bit too sweet for me (but so are quite a few many examples of the style from top breweries). I prefer the slightly drier finish of S04. K97 is also a very interesting yeast for the style based on a fermentis study presented in a webinar I posted some pages back.
I’ve been wanting to try a 50/50 split of S04 and S33. I just get a little nervous because of some of the horror stories people post about S33, so this is nice to hear.

These are my thoughts as well in regards to s-33. I'm gonna use it one more time and add some dextrose to dry it out a bit.

NEIPA v12, everything was fine (except I aimed for 1.060 not 1.052). great color, super super fruity aroma but man it's by far the first time I got some Hop burn like that.

And I got a big one. Ok it's kegged since july 6, but you can see the hops at the bottom of the glass when you put it in the fridge for 2-3 hours. a green slurry mixed with a bit of yeast. I did everything I can to cancel any hop burn (I dumped trub/yeast/hops 3 times!)

Gonna give it some time you'll say but wow it may take a while to clear up!

Each time I got some hop burn I was nuts with Galaxy hops :cool:

1594342426749.png

I’ve been wanting to try a 50/50 split of S04 and S33. I just get a little nervous because of some of the horror stories people post about S33, so this is nice to hear.
I like the idea of mixing S-33 and S-04. Hadn't thought of that particular combination. As Eltes said, K-97 seemed like an interesting choice. I used it in a kolsch and was very happy with the results. It was fairly clean fermenting, super hazy, and the Krausen just refused to fall. From what I remember, it might be a bit too attenuative.

20200709_154010.jpg

This is my favorite NEIPA I've made in a while. Aroma is mango, guava, lime, pineapple, floral. Flavor is more of the same plus some peach. The thing I like about this beer the most is the flavor is very full and saturated, but the beer comes across very balanced and light.

14 lb 2 row
3 lb flaked oats
0.75 lb wheat
0.25 lb honey malt

0.5 oz Warrior (19 IBU)
1 oz Citra whirlpool (4 IBU)
2 oz Motueka whirlpool (4 IBU)
3 oz Citra dry hop
6 oz Motueka dry hop

Whirlfoc 10 min
Yeast nutrient 10 min

Imperial Barbarian gen 3

O.G. = 1.063
F.G. = 1.010
ABV = 7%

8th generation of my 1318 and I think it may be time to retire this strain. My imperial neipa is underattenuating. Is there anything I can do push it through those final gravity points?

8th generation of my 1318 and I think it may be time to retire this strain.

On a completely unrelated note, Lallemand UK have officially announced the 500g bricks of their new "Verdant IPA" yeast. Which if Wyeast's lawyers are watching is definitely nothing to do with 1318.

Seems the 11g retail packs are a few weeks away in the UK, usually it takes a few weeks more to then cross the pond (subject to Covid weirdness).

Sounds like they're really happy with it, it's taken well to being dried so it sounds like there should be none of the problems they had with drying Conan.

I like the idea of mixing S-33 and S-04. Hadn't thought of that particular combination. As Eltes said, K-97 seemed like an interesting choice. I used it in a kolsch and was very happy with the results. It was fairly clean fermenting, super hazy, and the Krausen just refused to fall. From what I remember, it might be a bit too attenuative.
Interesting, One thing that I really like about S04 is the fact that the krausen drops really easily and doesn’t hang around. Every time I’ve used 1318 the krausen That never goes away just annoys me. I like the fact that SO4 gets started quick, finishes quick, and everything drops to the bottom of the fermenter like a brick. It’s just really easy to work with.

Back