New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to mash hop during my west coast ipa days around 10 years ago. I was trying to get as much hops in my beer as possible for those bitter bombs, lol

So as this beer continues to condition it’s really getting good. I typically get a really nice mouthfeel and body for my beers but this beer is exceptional. The only difference was I went with a different maltster for my 2row. I used Rahr this time and I truly think it made a difference. I looked up the specs and it seems Rahr has a typically higher protein level in their 2row. If you haven’t tried them yet, give it a shot View attachment 775882
beer looks great as usual man! As for the Rahr 2-row, I really don't have much of a comparison because I've been exclusively using Rahr for over a year now. The only other maltster Ive gotten 2 row from was Briess (their "Brewers Malt"). Never bothered to look at the protein specs though. From my memory, I think both of them were similar in protein but IIRC the Rahr was a little lighter on the SRM side. But honestly, since I was getting some good Rahr grains, never thought to test out others. Since I get my grains from morebeer most of the time, my only issue is that sometimes my bags have a little bit more "dust" than I'd like. But I do like the resealable bags morebeer is now using as well.

On a similar note, Idk if you saw some of the new info coming out from omega on their thiolized yeast, but it’s showing that using T90 hops on the hotside, specifically whirlpool, and early fermentation is actually causing the muting of the Thiols. They suggest using all cryo or similar product on the hotside when using cosmic punch or Starparty. So this amount my increase for me as I’ve just started dabbling into thiolized yeast
What's substitute for WP additions when using these thiolized yeasts? Omega mentions Incogito but that's $290 per KG jug at yakima valley hops. That's too large a jug for me.

Dry hopping under pressure: I haven't seen much on that subject. Thoughts?
All you need is positive pressure. 2-5 psi is plenty. Dryhoping under higher pressure will carbonate the beer and give you challenges transferring if you don’t have experience transferring carbonated beer (it’s a pain and takes longer).

If you do try it, don’t put the beer on pressure until after the dryhops are in. You don’t want the beer to carb at all prior because when you dump the hops in, you’ll create a gusher lol

All you need is positive pressure. 2-5 psi is plenty. Dryhoping under higher pressure will carbonate the beer and give you challenges transferring if you don’t have experience transferring carbonated beer (it’s a pain and takes longer).

If you do try it, don’t put the beer on pressure until after the dryhops are in. You don’t want the beer to carb at all prior because when you dump the hops in, you’ll create a gusher lol
I had managed to do it several times without issue, then the ONE TIME that I failed was enough to never try it again. Even once I managed to get the lid on to stop the eruption, enough hop gunk had made it onto the oring that it wouldn't seal and so I had to open it AGAIN.

I'll add it is possible to dry hop carbed beer, but you need to dump the hops into your dry hopping vessel then transfer the beer, under pressure, to said vessel.

Why not spund at 15 psi since when I cold crash I'll lose some of that pressure (no idea how much)?

I'm new to closed transfers. I recently purchased the Spike CF15 and learning the new system while using a Gose as the trial.
For the next brew session I'll be attempting a hazy ipa on this system. The process I'm mapping is the following:
  • Ferment with a blow off tube (0 psi).
  • After fermentation is complete, soft crash to 50-55F for 24-48 hours.
  • Harvest the yeast (slowly per other posts)
  • Raise temp to 55F (if lower than 55F) and then add dry hops.
  • Spund @ 2-5 psi for 24-48 hours and periodically rouse the hops from the bottom port (using a 2" TC to Ball Lock GAS Post).
  • Cold crash to 34-40F.
  • Dump the hops.
  • Apply 2 psi and closed transfer into C02 purged kegs.
Anyone have suggested adjustments to this?

So I’m finally set up with chiller and going to brew my first southern beer. What yeast is everyone using now? I mostly used 1318 in the past and some s04. @Dgallo i think a long time ago you were using A24, would you recommend that or try something newer? I have access to imperial and omega.

Why not spund at 15 psi since when I cold crash I'll lose some of that pressure (no idea how much)?

I'm new to closed transfers. I recently purchased the Spike CF15 and learning the new system while using a Gose as the trial.
For the next brew session I'll be attempting a hazy ipa on this system. The process I'm mapping is the following:
  • Ferment with a blow off tube (0 psi).
  • After fermentation is complete, soft crash to 50-55F for 24-48 hours.
  • Harvest the yeast (slowly per other posts)
  • Raise temp to 55F (if lower than 55F) and then add dry hops.
  • Spund @ 2-5 psi for 24-48 hours and periodically rouse the hops from the bottom port (using a 2" TC to Ball Lock GAS Post).
  • Cold crash to 34-40F.
  • Dump the hops.
  • Apply 2 psi and closed transfer into C02 purged kegs.
Anyone have suggested adjustments to this?
Pretty much did what you have outlined with my cf5. When I was dry hopping I would keep the gas on to the manifold at like 2 psi. My reasoning was to have more CO2 going out as O2 coming in while dry hopping. I am not set up to dry hop in lower oxygen ways like others are.

So I’m finally set up with chiller and going to brew my first southern beer. What yeast is everyone using now? I mostly used 1318 in the past and some s04. @Dgallo i think a long time ago you were using A24, would you recommend that or try something newer? I have access to imperial and omega.
I still really like dryhop a lot. It’s probably my favorite yeast for the style.

Recently I been running Imperial Juice (their 1318) on multiple generations to see if there is any extra benefit to future generations.

Off topic but I remember awhile back guys were using Spelt in they're NEIPAs. I tried to find some locally, big bucks though and not easly available. So my local maltster in my town suggested Emmer. He said it's an ancient Wheat type grain, ancestor to Spelt. Said very similar, good head retention, mouthfeel, smoothness,etc.
I even got some with a 30L caramel rating. If it's good maybe I can drop my Honey Malt.
New to this style , but having 2 maltsters in town should help.
Cheers

I just used spelt for the first time and really stoked with the results. Pretty sure this is the best NEIPA out of a dozen or so i have brewed. I have used a touch of honey malt in the past but i think this is my new grain bill going forward with this style. I would post a picture but it's raining here.

64% 2 row
23% Spelt
13% malted oats

Yeah, I was a bit confused why it seemed to be a huge hit and then disappeared from most recipes I saw on here.
I tried it once and really liked it.
I still use it pretty much every beer. These last few beers that I’ve brewed I’ve been trying to emulate the Fiden’s mouthfeel. I personally don’t believe any of the recipes they have shared recently and believe their pretty much basemalt, oats, and small percentage of character malts for color.

Here’s one they gave to Crosby Hops if anyone is interested in taking a look at this one. Still believe their oats are 3x the amount they list.
264394BF-08CB-43E3-9E4F-A11D06666F35.png

Dry hopping under pressure: I haven't seen much on that subject. Thoughts?

Wow, the exact question I had this morning! Thanks for asking for me:)

I have seen recipes listing Nelson hops, is that the same as Nelson Sauvin?

When you guys whirlpool at "X" temperature, do you aim to keep the set temp for the entire whirlpool, allow it to fall naturally, or chill down immediately?

So as this beer continues to condition it’s really getting good. I typically get a really nice mouthfeel and body for my beers but this beer is exceptional. The only difference was I went with a different maltster for my 2row. I used Rahr this time and I truly think it made a difference. I looked up the specs and it seems Rahr has a typically higher protein level in their 2row. If you haven’t tried them yet, give it a shot
Looks and sounds great. Would you give some more details as to what you've been targeting for these lately? Interesting you nailed the mouthfeel this time with just oats.
OG FG?
% adjuncts?
Water?
Hot site and cold side hopping rates?

Thats an interesting article @Dgallo . I read the whole thing. Aside from the weird 12oz of golden promise, I was surprised to see only about ~15% flaked oats on the grain bill and the article also says they only use about ~20% oats. I thought, from my experience having a few of their beers that they were in the 30-40% range. The other surprise to me was the higher mash temp suggested 155F. They expect 80% AA from 1.075-1.015 at that high a mash from LAIII? Nevertheless, I think I might try mashing a little higher to see what it brings. Water profile is a bit weird to me as they say "calcium chloride" to 125ppm. So does this mean BOTH Ca and Cl are 125ppm? I typically am getting about 175Cl to 110 S04 so these pumps are a bit lower. Not sure that would make a big difference but again I could be wrong. If you read the paragraph right before "on their own terms" its also clear they only DH after fermentation is complete and do a soft crash (something I thought only us lowly home brewers did lol).

Again, after the 2-3 beers I've tried from them, the IPAs are incredibly soft, GREAT lasting foam, Hazy, and flavors are eye-popping. So Lots of good stuff here to think about.

I agree the fidens recipe in CB&B seems overly "average" And I get why some of these breweries want to keep their secets...but why would they want to publish inaccurate info? seems too weird so its just perplexing to me. But if I were to make that as a clone I would prbably dry hop more like 10-12 oz.

Last edited:
It took me awhile but finally got around to brewing the best NEIPA I have ever brewed thanks to Dgallo’s recipe! I get mango, sweet fruit and citrus lime for days. The bitterness is exactly what I want for a 8% but yet smooth. This is my first time using Spelt and I like it.

I would take this over 75% of the commercial examples out there. Really stoked about this one!

CF2AE387-93B8-448A-941D-949A22525702.jpeg
4EBD2E01-0260-4F08-9266-2BC80A1E1153.jpeg

Last edited:
I hope they throw us a bone on pricing. At the 1kilo price 20 ml would only be 5 bucks or so, that would be sweet. Or what is 20 ml equivalent in t90?

Curious what y'all are getting from Strata these days. I haven't used it in a good while and typically paired it with Citra and/or I7 but not much else. To confuse myself even more, YVH has an inconsistent message on strata: the picture of the flavor key shows: sweet fruit, berry/currant, and menthol. Their description of the characteristics though are strawberry, passion fruit, grapefruit, bubble gum, sage, and dank. So not sure what "menthol" is meant to be and TBH, I have never had a lot of strata that says "thats strawberry!" either. I have gotten dank/weed/cannibis, passionfruit, grapefruit as my primary flavors/aromas. Typically the dank/weed were more prominent in the aroma not as much in the flavor. I will say that YVH has only 2021 strata available and my personal stash is 2020, so not sure what's changed.

I recently had a beer from local brewery (Hopfly) that reported a strata/nelson combo and the beer was delicious so Im considering doing something like this pairing for my next NEIPA.

So what have ya'll gotten from strata recently? please indicate the year in the response.

Curious what y'all are getting from Strata these days. I haven't used it in a good while and typically paired it with Citra and/or I7 but not much else. To confuse myself even more, YVH has an inconsistent message on strata: the picture of the flavor key shows: sweet fruit, berry/currant, and menthol. Their description of the characteristics though are strawberry, passion fruit, grapefruit, bubble gum, sage, and dank. So not sure what "menthol" is meant to be and TBH, I have never had a lot of strata that says "thats strawberry!" either. I have gotten dank/weed/cannibis, passionfruit, grapefruit as my primary flavors/aromas. Typically the dank/weed were more prominent in the aroma not as much in the flavor. I will say that YVH has only 2021 strata available and my personal stash is 2020, so not sure what's changed.

I recently had a beer from local brewery (Hopfly) that reported a strata/nelson combo and the beer was delicious so Im considering doing something like this pairing for my next NEIPA.

So what have ya'll gotten from strata recently? please indicate the year in the response.
2020 I once had extreme marihuana with tropical fruits in one lot but the rest of the lots where more orange forward with less mj.

Anybody now around what time they’ll be releasing it? Sorry I don’t have any social media.
They said “this morning” but it’s not up yet. They did say flash Friday will be started at the same time. That appears to be up as Talus this month

So I've been digging my all Simcoe neipa lately. Grabbed a can of Industrial Arts experimental series where they used Simcoe Strata, and it got my wheels turning. I'm brewing a Simcoe Strata 50/50 tomorrow. Splitting the batch and using Coastal Haze and 1318. I was getting vanilla and slight strawberry early on with Simcoe, but it mellows slightly to citrus and sticky dankness. Hoping to amplify it using Strata. I've only ever paired Strata with Citra, and it was fine. Nothing mind blowing, but my brewing technique has improved immensely since I last used Strata.

12 gal batch - 6 into each fermenter Coastal Haze/1318
67.7% Rahr 2 Row
19.4% Rahr White Wheat
12.9% Carafoam

2.5oz each Strata Simcoe at 10
5 oz each Strata Simcoe WP at 170 for 25 min
3.5oz each Strata Simcoe DH for 24-48 hours max

Fingers crossed.

Yeah except this is 3x. Too bad. It's almost cost prohibitive when 4oz of citra cost 4 bucks from them and you only lose 1L or wort... But who am I kidding I'm gonna try it out anyways!

Yeah except this is 3x. Too bad. It's almost cost prohibitive when 4oz of citra cost 4 bucks from them and you only lose 1L or wort... But who am I kidding I'm gonna try it out anyways!
I should have stated it better. I actually meant 2.5x which it is. It’s right around $6 for the break down from the 1kg. I’ll try it eventually for sure. Same with phantasm but I can’t justify the shipping until I need more hops

So I've been digging my all Simcoe neipa lately. Grabbed a can of Industrial Arts experimental series where they used Simcoe Strata, and it got my wheels turning. I'm brewing a Simcoe Strata 50/50 tomorrow. Splitting the batch and using Coastal Haze and 1318. I was getting vanilla and slight strawberry early on with Simcoe, but it mellows slightly to citrus and sticky dankness. Hoping to amplify it using Strata. I've only ever paired Strata with Citra, and it was fine. Nothing mind blowing, but my brewing technique has improved immensely since I last used Strata.

12 gal batch - 6 into each fermenter Coastal Haze/1318
67.7% Rahr 2 Row
19.4% Rahr White Wheat
12.9% Carafoam

2.5oz each Strata Simcoe at 10
5 oz each Strata Simcoe WP at 170 for 25 min
3.5oz each Strata Simcoe DH for 24-48 hours max

Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the input. I've primarily done Citra/Strata or Citra/Strata/I7, but looking back in my notes I did do a Strata/Simcoe/Mosaic. It was a dank bomb IIRC. But it ended up smoothing out nicely towards more grape fruitiness but that was a long time ago.

Just tapped my latest DIPA at 8.1% ABV. Hopped on the hotside with NZ Cascade and Simcoe and then Dryhopped heavily with Simcoe and Mosaic. I’m very impressed with this beer. Has a heavily true “hoppy” character (not bitter) followed with pithy orange, blueberry, mango, and a moderate dankness. I’m really digging the complexity

If you’re local or semi-local to Bennington, VT I will be serving this and a mix berry cheesecake inspired smoothy sour at the Summer Homebrew Festival under the name Bantam_Brews . Tickets are still available at Summer HomeBrew Fest
2D805477-645A-423D-AC20-A313E283B726.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back