New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, all! Brewing next week and I’m excited to give this style a try now that I have a keg setup. Will post results.

Based on Brau's updated post (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/northeast-style-ipa.568046/page-146#post-8203827) when talking about the simple solution for water profile, do you guys add your brewing salts and lactic acid to the strike water while it's heating up or when it's in the mash tun? What about the sparge?
I add them to the strike water, though differently than others. I found the CaCl would dissolve and stick to the bottom of the kettle if I just poured in.

Now I dissolve them in the cup I use for weighing them out. Takes about 30 seconds of swishing around using strike temp water.

While we're on the water topic.... I tend to add all my minerals to my mash water, using plain tap water for the sparge. Mostly because this helps me get down to a good mash pH without using lactic acid, but also because its way easier. Anyone see any issues with this method?

I'm very pleased with my NEIPA mouthfeel, but oddly enough I have trouble getting a nice crisp mouthfeel in my west coast IPAs (even with 200:100 sulfate:chloride).

While we're on the water topic.... I tend to add all my minerals to my mash water, using plain tap water for the sparge. Mostly because this helps me get down to a good mash pH without using lactic acid, but also because its way easier. Anyone see any issues with this method?

I'm very pleased with my NEIPA mouthfeel, but oddly enough I have trouble getting a nice crisp mouthfeel in my west coast IPAs (even with 200:100 sulfate:chloride).

what is an example og and fg and mash temp? drop the chloride and up the sulfate to 300

Most recently 1.065 down to 1.010. Typically mashing around 152. And to correct myself, I actually aimed for a 50:200 chloride:sulfate ratio.

Thanks! Always love a good Scott Janish read.

i’d try dropping to 1.060, drop the chloride, boost sulfate to 250, carbonate a little higher. are you doing at least 1 oz/gal in dry hop?

i’d try dropping to 1.060, drop the chloride, boost sulfate to 250, carbonate a little higher. are you doing at least 1 oz/gal in dry hop?

No chloride at all eh? Yeah I use ~6 oz dry hop in just about all my IPA's (Sorry for the detour into west coast IPA talk everybody)...

Just brewed this version a couple weeks back and by far my favorite to date. It is a total juice bomb so to add some dankness I'd move some the Whirlpool as a F.O.

6.75% ABV

37.5% 2-Row
37.5% Pilsner
12.5% Flaked Wheat
12.5% Flaked Oats

3oz Citra @ 165F for 30 minute whirlpool
3oz Mosaic @ 165F for 30 minute whirlpool

Dry Hop 1: 2oz Mosaic & 2oz Citra (added morning of day 3)
Dry Hop 2: 6oz Citra

Imperial A38 Juice Yeast

R.O. water w/ 1g per gallon of CaCl & .5g of Gypsum per gallon

Mashed at 152F

No chloride at all eh? Yeah I use ~6 oz dry hop in just about all my IPA's (Sorry for the detour into west coast IPA talk everybody)...

i always have the opposite problem. my ipa is too dry for my taste unless i take precautions to make it seem fuller and a little sweeter. the gypsum and complete attenuation should dry it out nicely. lower OG should make it seem a lot thinner and drier too.

i always have the opposite problem. my ipa is too dry for my taste unless i take precautions to make it seem fuller and a little sweeter. the gypsum and complete attenuation should dry it out nicely. lower OG should make it seem a lot thinner and drier too.

I have the same issue. My beers are always pretty dry. 1318 always attenuates 83% or so for me. I personally rather have them dry than the opposite so I guess there are worse problems to have.

Just brewed this version a couple weeks back and by far my favorite to date. It is a total juice bomb so to add some dankness I'd move some the Whirlpool as a F.O.

6.75% ABV

37.5% 2-Row
37.5% Pilsner
12.5% Flaked Wheat
12.5% Flaked Oats

3oz Citra @ 165F for 30 minute whirlpool
3oz Mosaic @ 165F for 30 minute whirlpool

Dry Hop 1: 2oz Mosaic & 2oz Citra (added morning of day 3)
Dry Hop 2: 6oz Citra

Imperial A38 Juice Yeast

R.O. water w/ 1g per gallon of CaCl & .5g of Gypsum per gallon

Mashed at 152F
1g/G total mash water or total batch size? That would be a lot of minerals if total mash water

1g/G total mash water or total batch size? That would be a lot of minerals if total mash water

yes, one gram per gallon. Please remember I was starting to R.O. water. To be exact, this is what I did.

5.5 gallons of mash water: added 5.5grams of CaCl and 2.5 grams of gypsum
4.6 gallons of sparge water: added 1.075 grams of CaCl and .53 grams of gypsum
8 gallons boil: 3.22 grams of CaCl and 1.613 grams of gypsum added at boiling

It was by far and away the softest and best mouthfeel of any NEIPA I've done to date. Very reminiscent of Other Half Brewing.

yes, one gram per gallon. Please remember I was starting to R.O. water. To be exact, this is what I did.

5.5 gallons of mash water: added 5.5grams of CaCl and 2.5 grams of gypsum
4.6 gallons of sparge water: added 1.075 grams of CaCl and .53 grams of gypsum
8 gallons boil: 3.22 grams of CaCl and 1.613 grams of gypsum added at boiling

It was by far and away the softest and best mouthfeel of any NEIPA I've done to date. Very reminiscent of Other Half Brewing.

I have really been trying to mimic the mouthfeel and texture of Other Half's beers! I'll have to give this a try, their triples are so damn smooth. I was there over this past weekend, their triple mosaic daydream is amazing.

Just wanted to say I’ve tinkered with variations of this recipe and after my 9th batch I just won best of show (my first homebrew win) in a local NE IPA completion (literally no other styles - 33 total entries). It’s going to be a can release later this year too! Thanks for all of the amazing info from this thread. Really appreciate all of you guys!

IMG_2911.jpg
Here’s what it looked like. [emoji482]

Just wanted to say I’ve tinkered with variations of this recipe and after my 9th batch I just won best of show (my first homebrew win) in a local NE IPA completion (literally no other styles - 33 total entries). It’s going to be a can release later this year too! Thanks for all of the amazing info from this thread. Really appreciate all of you guys!

Congrats! I bet you're on cloud 9 with a BOS for your 1st win. That's awesome! :mug:

You should send samples to everyone on this thread...[emoji16]

Congratulations and keep it coming!!

View media item 69168
Here is how mine turned out. I used the same grain bill and just switched my hops a bit. I used equal parts citra, mosaic, and galaxy hops for whirlpool and dry hopping. I also added some denali to give it a little bit of pineapple. Taste and aroma are fantastic. Get recipe!!

About to brew my 10th or so iteration of this beer. I've used WLP001, Imperial A38 Juice, Wyeast 1318.

Does anyone have experience using GigaYeast GY054 Vermont IPA yeast? I've heard this strain is finicky; I am looking for a good fermentation temperature schedule for this yeast. Cheers!

I’ll post my water profile tomorrow. Recipe ended up winning the Other IPA category at another competition (Rhinegeist Homie) as well but didn’t win Best of Show. I had never finished first in a category or won best of show ever so this was a pretty big weekend for me. Honestly I messed up during fermentation and let this get a little too hot so there are some off flavors present that aren’t there when my fermentation is controlled. Listermann noted this but still liked it enough for me to win best of show I guess!

OG: 1.066
FG: 1.010
7.35% - higher than usual. Typically my imperial juice yeast finishes a little higher and I’m around 6.5 - 6.8% abv

Water:
I added 3.5g and 4g of CaCl to my mash (4.6 gallons) and sparge (5.2 gallons) respectively. I'm not sure if this profile is right but based on the lab test I received and Bru'n Water, this is what my water profile looks like:

Ca: 79
Mg: 19
Na: 33
Cl: 157
SO4: 57
pH: 5.7

Grains
9lb Belgian Pale (I just was finishing off leftover grain and wanted something other than 2 row for a portion - other pale like Maris Otter would be great too)
4lb 2 row (Briess)
0.5lb Honey Malt
1.5lb Flaked Oats
0.2lb White wheat

Hops
0.8oz Warrior (30 min)
4oz Mosaic (hop stand at 170 degrees)
2oz Citra (hop stand at 170 degrees)
4oz Mosaic (dry hop 3 days)
2oz Citra (dry hop 3 days)

Yeast - usually I use imperial juice and make a starter, but this time could only get WLP008 last minute. Still worked great with only one pouch and no starter

Mashed at 156
Boiled 30 min only, added warrior right at boil.

After boil immediately started chilling to 170, then added the 4oz Mosaic and 2oz Citra. Big stir, then covered with the lid. Opened and stirred every 1-2 min and kept closing the lid every time for 30 min. I don’t add hops at flameout and instead just do this step.

Cooled to 70, pitched yeast. Added dry hops after 3 days.

Usually I keg without purging oxygen but this time I purged my keg and it worked great. Bottled from the keg and entered the competition. Very happy with the results!

Last edited:
I’ll post my water profile tomorrow. Recipe ended up winning the Other IPA category at another competition (Rhinegeist Homie) as well but didn’t win Best of Show. I had never finished first in a category or won best of show ever so this was a pretty big weekend for me. Honestly I messed up during fermentation and let this get a little too hot so there are some off flavors present that aren’t there when my fermentation is controlled. Listermann noted this but still liked it enough for me to win best of show I guess!

OG: 1.066
7.35% - higher than usual. Typically my imperial juice yeast finishes a little higher and I’m around 6.5 - 6.8% abv

Water:
I added 3.5g and 4g of CaCl to my mash (4.6 gallons) and sparge (5.2 gallons) respectively. I'm not sure if this profile is right but based on the lab test I received and Bru'n Water, this is what my water profile looks like:

Ca: 79
Mg: 19
Na: 33
Cl: 157
SO4: 57
pH: 5.7

Grains
9lb Belgian Pale (I just was finishing off leftover grain and wanted something other than 2 row for a portion - other pale like Maris Otter would be great too)
4lb 2 row (Briess)
0.5lb Honey Malt
1.5lb Flaked Oats
0.2lb White wheat

Hops
0.8oz Warrior (30 min)
4oz Mosaic (hop stand at 170 degrees)
2oz Citra (hop stand at 170 degrees)
4oz Mosaic (dry hop 3 days)
2oz Citra (dry hop 3 days)

Yeast - usually I use imperial juice and make a starter, but this time could only get WLP008 last minute. Still worked great with only one pouch and no starter

Mashed at 156
Boiled 30 min only, added warrior right at boil.

After boil immediately started chilling to 170, then added the 4oz Mosaic and 2oz Citra. Big stir, then covered with the lid. Opened and stirred every 1-2 min and kept closing the lid every time for 30 min. I don’t add hops at flameout and instead just do this step.

Cooled to 70, pitched yeast. Added dry hops after 3 days.

Usually I keg without purging oxygen but this time I purged my keg and it worked great. Bottled from the keg and entered the competition. Very happy with the results!
Thanks for the recipe. Looks like I need to make a trip down to see Will and make some purchases!

Brewed my NEIPA recipe on Sunday. Really smooth brewday. Thought I'd share some pics:

IMG_0417.JPGIMG_0415.JPG IMG_0418.JPG

First pic is showing the trub dam on the SS Brewtech Kettle. Worked really well on containing the 6oz of whirlpool hops. Rigged up the blow-off tube around 3pm on Sunday and by 6am Monday, fermentation was taking off. Had a 1.7 liter starter and blasted the wort with pure O2 for 30 seconds. Can't wait to drink this. Thanks to all on this thread!
:mug:

Brewed my NEIPA recipe on Sunday. Really smooth brewday. Thought I'd share some pics:

View attachment 571505View attachment 571506 View attachment 571507

First pic is showing the trub dam on the SS Brewtech Kettle. Worked really well on containing the 6oz of whirlpool hops. Rigged up the blow-off tube around 3pm on Sunday and by 6am Monday, fermentation was taking off. Had a 1.7 liter starter and blasted the wort with pure O2 for 30 seconds. Can't wait to drink this. Thanks to all on this thread!

What in the world happened there? How did you end up with a near perfect circle of spotless kettle on the bottom?

Good ol' fashioned stirring.

Mind Blown.png

Seriously though, I whirlpool and I have never had it even closely resemble that. I leave a lot behind but even if I didn't, I couldn't ever imagine seeing a portion of the bottom spotless. With the trub dam, I found that a little bit sneaks by at the beginning of the transfer so I runoff until it's clear. Then, as soon as it stops pouring clear, I quit transferring and toss the rest. I usually end up with something like this hop-brain looking thing here

Brain.jpg

View attachment 571512
Seriously though, I whirlpool and I have never had it even closely resemble that. I leave a lot behind but even if I didn't, I couldn't ever imagine seeing a portion of the bottom spotless. With the trub dam, I found that a little bit sneaks by at the beginning of the transfer so I runoff until it's clear. Then, as soon as it stops pouring clear, I quit transferring and toss the rest. I usually end up with something like this hop-brain looking thing here

View attachment 571513
Whoa! How many oz's of hops are in this? (I'm sure that smelled awesome) This is entirely speculation, but I have a copper chiller with a much small diameter than your chiller, which forces my stirs to be wider (if that makes sense). Maybe the wider stirring helps condense the pile/cone of hops in the middle better?

What in the world happened there? How did you end up with a near perfect circle of spotless kettle on the bottom?

I'm not the OP and could be wrong but to me it looks like trub, hops, and a shallow layer of wort.
The "perfect circle" you see is the reflection of the sky through the kettle lip on the top of the liquid.

I'm not the OP and could be wrong but to me it looks like trub, hops, and a shallow layer of wort.
The "perfect circle" you see is the reflection of the sky through the kettle lip on the top of the liquid.
You know what? You're absolutely right. Definitely is the sky!

View attachment 571505View attachment 571506 View attachment 571507

wow, that dam seems to work pretty well! can you recirculate with a pump when using the dam?

View attachment 571512

View attachment 571513

what size kettle is that and how many oz of hops? i assume you are not using a pump to recirc. if you use a pump, you get a much better cone in the middle. i get the same brain with 16 oz of hops in my 20G kettle, but it is more compact and only starts to break apart at the end. i am getting a lot break material into my fermenter at times, but the hops pretty much stay in the middle until the end. it would have been spinning with the pump for at least 45 minutes by that point though.

what size kettle is that and how many oz of hops? i assume you are not using a pump to recirc. if you use a pump, you get a much better cone in the middle. i get the same brain with 16 oz of hops in my 20G kettle, but it is more compact and only starts to break apart at the end. i am getting a lot break material into my fermenter at times, but the hops pretty much stay in the middle until the end. it would have been spinning with the pump for at least 45 minutes by that point though.

If I recall, that was nearly 2 lbs in a 15 gallon batch (20G kettle). I am using a pump to recirculate as well and allowing a 20-30 minute trub rest post whirlpool. Maybe my 50' copper IC is getting in the way but I started tinkering with LODO so I have a SS counterflow on the way and I'll be able to test that theory soon :mug:

If I recall, that was nearly 2 lbs in a 15 gallon batch (20G kettle). I am using a pump to recirculate as well and allowing a 20-30 minute trub rest post whirlpool. Maybe my 50' copper IC is getting in the way but I started tinkering with LODO so I have a SS counterflow on the way and I'll be able to test that theory soon :mug:

ah, ok, mine would probably look similar in that case. that is double the hops i use in any batches in my 20G kettle. i wouldn't expect to be able to get much better of a cone i think, but i'm not sure.

So I've brewed this recipe (with a few minor tweaks here and there) 6 times now and I think I've somehow managed to make a batch that's probably going down the drain this time after the 5 earlier batches, which were all great. Basically, the beer is totally lacking in hop aroma and flavor and has a sort of musty/earthy smell and taste to it, which is fairly unpleasant.

This was my first time using the YCH LupulN2 cryo hops, and I'm strongly leaning towards this being the culprit. These were the newer pelletized version, and when I opened the bag, they had more of a brownish color and noticed they had a musty smell. It certainly didn't smell anything like I'd expect a 2X concentrated version of mosaic or citra to smell. If these were normal pellet hops, I probably would have tossed them and looked for something else to throw in, but since this was my first experience with cryo hops, I thought maybe this was normal and decided to go ahead and use them.

For those that have used this pellet version of the cryo hops from YCH before - does this sound normal, or did I get some bad hops? Below are some additional details about the recipe:

OG: 1.056 (Going for more of a pale ale version)
5lbs 2 row
5lbs Pale Ale Malt
1lb Flaked Barley
1lb Flaked Oats
1lb White Wheat
5oz Honey Malt

0.5oz Columbus @60min
1oz Citra Pellets Whirlpool
0.5oz Citra Cryo Pellets Whirlpool
1oz Mosaic Pellets Whirlpool
0.5oz Mosaic Cryo Pellets Whirlpool
1oz Galaxy Whirlpool

1oz Citra Pellets Dry Hop @48hr
0.5oz Citra Cryo Pellets Dry Hop @48hr
1oz Mosaic Pellets Dry Hop @48hr
0.5oz Mosaic Cryo Pellets Dry Hop @48hr
1oz Galaxy Dry Hop @48hr

As I mentioned, I'm strongly suspicious of the cryo hops that I used, given how they looked and smelled when I opened the package, but below are a few other changes I made that I can't rule out as playing a factor:

- Used Imperial Yeast Juice for the 1st time (Life was too busy to get time to make a starter this time - was hoping with the extra cell count this wouldn't be a big issue)
- New CO2 tank possibly contaminated? Had to get my tank recertified and chose to exchange it rather than wait a week for the recert at the local welding shop.
- Malt supplier different than previous batches, resulted in higher mash pH: I was targeting 5.38 mash pH, but ended up at 5.54 @10 min into the mash and added additional lactic acid to bring it down and measured 5.43 at the end of the mash (all room temp measurements)
- Used my Spiedel fermenter instead of corny keg with spunding to naturally carb as I have done in the past. This was mainly to try to get a full 5 gallons of finished beer for serving at a party this weekend (unfortunately, I ended up with no beer to serve :( ) Figured the little extra O2 exposure from force carbing wouldn't affect me with the beer planning on being served 14 days after brewing, but maybe this amplified the contaminated CO2 if that is actually a possibility?

Anyone have much experience with the pellet version of the cryo hops that they would mind sharing or other ideas for me?

could be the cryo hops. were they in 1 oz bags? i used sone that were a bit yellow and they were fine but no better than pellets. if really old they could ruin the beer. they seem to be just sold in maybe N2 purged bags which might lead to more oxidation more quickly than a pounder vacuum sack of pellets. were they on sale, lol?!

Latest posts

Back