New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just sampled my version of this with a brewer at Lagunitas and his response was "really good". This while drinking his "Born Yesterday" which IMO is "really really good"!!
Gotta love the Hop Grenade!!

Are you guys cold crashing your NE IPAs? Will that eliminate the haze/cloudiness that you want with this style?

You can cold crash without eliminating the haze and hoppiness. I've crashed fro at least 3-4 days before racking to keg. It really helps to prevent clogging your keg QD if you rack into a purged keg. Also, when you add all of your dry hops to primary, you are going to have problems with clogging if you don't do something!

Are you guys cold crashing your NE IPAs? Will that eliminate the haze/cloudiness that you want with this style?

Yea, I just cold crashed mine for about 1.5 days at 35/36 degrees. Just kegged and pulled a sample, still hazy as can be.

(Sorry for the sideways image. First time I've posted a picture and not sure how to rotate it)

IMG_2444.jpg

Just sampled my version of this with a brewer at Lagunitas and his response was "really good". This while drinking his "Born Yesterday" which IMO is "really really good"!!
Gotta love the Hop Grenade!!

Awesome. Can't believe they let you in the Hop Grenade with a beer like this;) Love listening to the BN, even if they don't all buy into the NE IPA:mug:

I don't cold crash my IPAs.

I don't want to step on Brau's toes, as this is his thread, but you really aren't trying to make a hazy or cloudy beer. You are trying to make a beer that is packed with hop flavor and bursting with hop aroma. The processes we use to meet that goal result in a hazy beer. So, in my very humble opinion, we should all be doing our best to make a delicious beer first. If we follow the well documented procedures to brew said beer, the haze will present itself.

My version of Braufessors NEIPA, Warrior, Citra, Mosaic & Amarillo...London Ale III. This FG sample @ 1.013 tastes great but I'm going to cold crash and probably fine with gelatin just because I can see floaties in my glass. I don't mind the haze but I don't care for stuff floating in my glass. I'll see how it looks after the cold crash but I'll probably fine it as well. I used a whole oz of warrior as first wort so it is a little bitter but that is by design as I like bitter.

IMG_0536.jpg

Are you bottled or kegged? If keg, the floaters will naturally settle and you should only have one glass that you can toss and get rid of then you're good.

I'm kegging so I'll see how it looks after cold crashing...this sample was taken with a turkey Baster so it was pretty néar the top of an undisturbed carboy. What I'm seeing is just little fine gritties at the bottom of my glass and I just don't care for it. I'm getting ready to brew an IPA with the gigayeast version of the Vermont IPA yeast and I'm going to do everything I can to make it hoppy and bright (clear). We'll see how that comes out.

Not the greatest pic 12 oz of late hops citra and dimco dry hopoed with 3oz ctz 1 oz citra conan yeast. Loved that beer will make again

20160408_011504.jpg

Brewed up my own weird version today.

75% Pils
25% TF Oat malt
1.058 OG

.5oz Columbus @60
1oz each Loral, Mandarina Bavaria, and Galaxy at FO & 20min whirlpool at 160F.

Wyeast 1318 forever. Looked surprisingly clear in the hydro sample.

I'll probably hit it with a bunch of Citra for a dry hop.

Brewed up my own weird version today.

75% Pils
25% TF Oat malt
1.058 OG

.5oz Columbus @60
1oz each Loral, Mandarina Bavaria, and Galaxy at FO & 20min whirlpool at 160F.

Wyeast 1318 forever. Looked surprisingly clear in the hydro sample.

I'll probably hit it with a bunch of Citra for a dry hop.

Try a loral/citra dry hop, those two in combination are at the top of my list, currently.

I see a photo but no tasting notes or other "results". How did it turn out? 5.25 oz of hops for a NE style IPA isn't much at all.

Crap. I forgot to add that. I also dry hopped with 3 oz during primary and 2.5 oz in the keg.

As far as tasting notes. What I notice most is the soft mouth feel. The hop flavor comes forward, but he nose isn't as strong as I would like. I do like the grist flavor, so will probably play with that some more. So going forward, will mess with the hops with this grist to get something I like.

Cold crashing does not remove the haze. I usually cold crash before kegging just to settle out the lose dry hops. Haze is still plentiful.

Cold crashing does not remove the haze. I usually cold crash before kegging just to settle out the lose dry hops. Haze is still plentiful.

i agree. cold crashing will drop big hop particles and more yeast. the beer will be hazy as heck still. it just helps with racking to avoid clogs if you cold crash

oh,and i really don't think the air let in from cold crashing is that detrimental. my beer is super hoppy despite a little air coming in after the cold crash.

my dream is to set up bungs with valves in them to hook up my CO2 line before racking, but i don't know if it will make a difference. Loving this 1:1 citra:mosaic right now!

Got this carb'd up over the weekend and had the first pour last night. Extremely happy with how it turned out.

OG: 1.067
FG: 1.015

74% 2-row
10% flaked oats
10% flaked wheat
6% table sugar

.2oz citra @60
3oz citra at flameout while chilling
3oz citra at 165 for 30 minutes
5oz citra 1st dryhop on day 4
8oz citra 2nd dryhop on day 10

1318 yeast
Started at 66 and raised to 70 by day 3

Water:
125:125 chloride to sulfate

Thanks for starting this thread braufessor. This was my first all grain batch and it definitely wouldn't have been as successful without this ongoing conversation.

Apologies for the poor lighting in the picture.

IMG_2474.jpg

Got this carb'd up over the weekend and had the first pour last night. Extremely happy with how it turned out.

74% 2-row
10% flaked oats
10% flaked wheat
6% table sugar

.2oz citra @60

1318 yeast

Water:

Thanks for starting this thread braufessor. This was my first all grain batch and it definitely wouldn't have been as successful without this ongoing conversation.

impressive first all-grain batch!!

Has anybody tried this with the Omega Hothead yeast strain? Its supposed to have citrus lemon characteristics.

74% 2-row
10% flaked oats
10% flaked wheat
6% table sugar

.2oz citra @60

1318 yeast

Water:

Not sure why you'd use % on the grain bill & go to solid numbers on the hops.

^obviously talking about hops, chief

I actually prefer percents on grain bills.... efficiency can easily vary by 20% from one person's system to another. Percent for grain makes infinitely more sense than giving pounds of grain.

so can you explain how you use that logic to derive amount of hops needed, captain obvious?

^obviously talking about hops, chief

so can you explain how you use that logic to derive amount of hops needed, captain obvious?

To be honest - I don't. I just use straight up oounces - generally in whole or half ounce quantities.

In my opinion, the potential down side in regard to using "whole numbers" on hops compared to grain is minimal. Especially compared to what a PITA it is to constantly "measure" what you are doing with them.

Grain is simple - It has a pretty consistent extraction from batch to batch, bag to bag, year to year. If you keep track, your system has a consistent efficiency. You can measure the results with a hydrometer..... Simple, fast, accurate.

Hops are not simple. You have different AA from bag to bag - much less from year to year. You really have no actual clue as the the extraction of your system. As home brewers, there is basically no actual way to even "measure" the impact (in IBU's) other than perception..... my perception tends to be that it does not make a huge difference if I have 4 x 3 ounce additions in 6.00 gallons or 6.5 gallons. There is not a detectable difference (to me) if I have 11% AA hops one time and 13% AA hops another time.

Maybe others are better at that than me.

Plus, for tons of people newer to brewing, they are not going to be into recalculating hop oils every batch on a dozen 1 ounce bags of hops. Those that use 1 ounce bags of hops are not keen on using .83 ounces out of a bag probably either.

So - mash efficiency can have a significant effect on the beer. That effect is consistent and repeatable. It is super easy to calculate, and you can measure it.

Hops - not so much.

I guess this is the place to discuss NE-style IPAs, so here goes...

I brewed my first one this past Sunday (10/30), and despite coming in a little low on OG and (stupidly) mashing a bit higher than I wanted, I'm pretty happy with how brewday went.

Sunshine Superman IPA

Recipe Type: All Grain BIAB (1-gallon dunk sparge)
Yeast: Wyeast 1968 – active starter
Batch Size: 5.25
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity (expected): 1.014
IBU: 50-ish

Grain Bill:
5 lbs Briess Two-Row (38.8%)
4.5 lbs Weyermann Pilsner (35.0%)
1.5 lbs Weyermann Wheat Malt (11.7%)
1.5 lbs Rolled (Quick) Oats (11.7%)
3 oz Honey Malt (1.5%)
3 oz Sauermalz (1.5%)

60 minute mash @155F (was shooting for 152F)

Hops:
10 min:
1 oz Galaxy (14.8)
1 oz Citra (12.5)

Whirlpool (30 minutes starting at 165F):
1 oz Galaxy
1 oz Citra
1 oz Columbus (12.9)
2 oz Amarillo (9.7)

Dry Hop 1 (6-ish days):
1 oz Citra
1 oz Columbus
2 oz Amarillo

Dry Hop 2 (3-ish days):
3 oz Galaxy
2 oz Citra

Water:
I use 100% RO water, and utilize Bru’n Water to determine my mineral additions. I add it to the full volume of water, then pour one gallon into my sparge pot.
2.9 g Gypsum
4.8 g CaCl
0.7 g NaCl

Ca = 72.3
Na = 18.4
Sulfate = 60
Chloride = 102.9
Bicarbonate = 16

As I mentioned, I mashed higher than I wanted, and I know why. I had my nearly 4-year-old daughter help me mash in (she wanted to stir her witch’s brew), and even though I finished off stirring everything in, I don’t think I stirred well enough on the bottom and I had heat pockets that didn’t “release” when I checked my mash temp (may have been a problem with the oats). I hit the burner and stirred for about a minute until I read 151F. After the 45-minute mash and a healthy stir before pulling the bag, the temp was 153F. Oops.

OG came in at 1.063 instead of 1.068, but that’s probably not a bad thing in the end. I have my suspicions on why, but I’m not going to parse details. My efficiency has been pretty consistent over the last six or so batches, so, until I can get a few more data points, I’ll just chalk this up to being an anomaly. I guess that means I’ll have to brew a few more of these. Damn…

Wort came out very bright – probably the brightest in all my beers so far in two years of brewing. Makes perfect sense since I had all light malts and adjuncts, but if this comes out of the fermenter somewhat close in color and with the fruitiness I’m hoping for, I’ll be stoked as stoked can be.

I used 1968, as I've been using it quite a bit and I really like what it brings to a beer (plus I have plenty in the fridge). I don't know how many folks have brewed this kind of beer with it, but even though it floccs out like crazy, I figured it can't hurt to try. I'll probably go with 1318 in a future batch to see the difference.

I’m going to have to bottle this, which I know isn’t ideal. I’m waiting on the right sized fridge on Craigslist before I get my three-tap kegerator build going (I have literally everything else I need). I need one that I get through the door to the basement, but it’s proving damn harder to find than I had expected! Luckily, I have a bunch of buddies who would be happy to help me drink this quickly (if it’s good), plus with Thanksgiving coming up I can provide some to the family for the T-day feast!

Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I hope it doesn’t suck

Not sure why you'd use % on the grain bill & go to solid numbers on the hops.

What other info do you want? I just gave percentages because I know everyone's efficiency varies. As stated this was my first AG batch and only third brew day overall, so not super experienced with pertinent brew info.

5 gallon batch
11lb 2-row
1.5lb flaked oats
1.5lb flaked wheat
.8lb sugar

Mash: 152 degrees

Wind: N/NE @4mph

Here's my finish...5.6abv, Citra, Mosaic and Amarillo, 2.3:1 Chloride to sulfate. Very tasty!! I do BIAB and since I don't have a kettle big enough for full volume I do some kinda sparge. About 8 brews ago I switched from a pour over to a dunk sparge. My efficiency went way up so I have been overshooting my numbers since. I've been scaling my recipes ever since and finally I think I have Brewers friend set to hit numbers consistently.
Next batch I hope will come in at a very quafable 5%! Well it's in the fermenter now and I'll add the first round of dry hops today.
Here's to ya Braufessor!!!

IMG_0538.JPG

Back