New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've won multiple medals as well before the BJCP Hazy IPA category existed. I always entered my hazies into the Specialty IPA category. That may be an option again now that I think about it.
I never entered one until 21.d New England ipa was added (I think 2017/2018) but now it’s 21. C hazy ipa

If that’s a bad picture, I can’t imagine how excellent it looks in person 😯. Incredible yellow haze!
My man @wepeeler is saying that even though his picture looks good now, when the sun goes through it it looks much better.

Here’s an example of the same beer, one at night in bulb light, the other in natural light. Lighting plays a huge role in how good a beer looks in a picture
IMG_1117.jpeg
IMG_0447.jpeg

Mosaic has been better lately (atleast in my personal experience, so I do understand I could have been lucky with my lots) and the only time I’d call it divisive is when it’s a single hop or at a really rate in a combo.

If you are competing, I’d argue that the style guidelines are really written with the combo citra/mosaic/galaxy in mind, so it’s definitely safe to use 2 or all of those in that instance.

This is purely anecdotal of course but my experience competing in this category is that the way we currently approach the style (fidens, green cheek, north park, etc) isn’t quite within the style guidelines as the body is too viscus/creamy and the finish is too full and not dry enough. And i seem to so far better in northeast and west coast competitions. But anywhere from like Ohio to California (exception Colorado) i typically get dinged for my mouthfeel as too “thick” or “creamy, not to style”. I’ve also had better luck in the northeast/wc with unique hop combos. My assumption is that judges in their area perceive the style based on what they are used to in their local markets and judge based off that.
I think I developed a bad taste for mosaic, still love it in a westcoast but in the hazy style it just comes across as rotten fruit to me.

I've won multiple medals as well before the BJCP Hazy IPA category existed. I always entered my hazies into the Specialty IPA category. That may be an option again now that I think about it.
The old Speciality IPA category made way more sense to the style of hazy ipas we're brewing today, 21C is a joke.

Has anyone brewed with Superdelic yet? Picked up 10oz of it and wondering what to pair it with. Reading the descriptions it should go perfectly with the Citra and Riwaka DIPA I'm planning.

I think I developed a bad taste for mosaic, still love it in a westcoast but in the hazy style it just comes across as rotten fruit to me.
I get onion, garlic and BO from Mosaic. I like it mixed with Citra, but the past few seasons of Mosaic have been a little harsh for my liking.

I’ve written Galaxy and Mosaic right out of my recipes. Simcoe is getting there too. Got on a good run with all of them. Something changed, maybe I changed, but I’m not brewing with them. Give me Citra and Nelson all day. Citra plays well with most.

I’ve written Galaxy and Mosaic right out of my recipes. Simcoe is getting there too. Got on a good run with all of them. Something changed, maybe I changed, but I’m not brewing with them. Give me Citra and Nelson all day. Citra plays well with most.
I don't do Galaxy anymore either. But I've had really good luck the past few years with Simcoe. Especially Yakima Chief!

Maybe it’s where I bought it. I used to put in almost every IPA I made. Bought a new pound when I bought new Citra. I’ve learned my lesson on bulk ordering certain hops. Get a bad lot and 4# to the landfill. I’ve not ordered from YC. Thanks

Maybe it’s where I bought it. I used to put in almost every IPA I made. Bought a new pound when I bought new Citra. I’ve learned my lesson on bulk ordering certain hops. Get a bad lot and 4# to the landfill. I’ve not ordered from YC. Thanks
Yakima valley is usually real good with replacing hips for me if I get a bad bag here or there

Has anyone brewed with Superdelic yet? Picked up 10oz of it and wondering what to pair it with. Reading the descriptions it should go perfectly with the Citra and Riwaka DIPA I'm planning.
I have a batch nearing terminal that I'm about to dry hop. I went with simcoe cryo and motueka to pair with superdelic. 6oz/2oz/4oz of superdelic/simcoe cryo/motueka

I get onion, garlic and BO from Mosaic. I like it mixed with Citra, but the past few seasons of Mosaic have been a little harsh for my liking.
If you're getting onion and garlic from any hop, that's not an attribute of the variety but because it's been picked too late. Was a particular problem during Covid disruptions to harvesting.

That may be Covid connected, anything with a lot of Citra in it now comes across with that over-ripe/rotten pineapple kind of flavour, ever since I had "original" Covid wreck my sense of smell.

That may be Covid connected, anything with a lot of Citra in it now comes across with that over-ripe/rotten pineapple kind of flavour, ever since I had "original" Covid wreck my sense of smell.
I have no problems with smell in other things though.
Agree on the citra, at least last years harvest also was leaning towards more rotten fruit

This is true for me as well. I have not had treehouse in a little while (moved to Florida) but I remember that I always got rotted fruit from alter ego and doppelganger. I brewed an all mosaic hazy pale recently that friends loved, but I got the rotted fruit. Always loved Bright (og mosaic) though. And my favorite west coast ipa locally is all mosaic.

I'm going to brew up my next hazy in a few weeks. I plan one using alot of the tips that were presented in the Fidens, Green Cheek, North Park podcast as far as water profile, ph, wp amounts, and dry hopping goes. I'm also going to use Wyeast 1272. I've been brewing some super pale hazies and I want more color so I've incorporated some GNO's into my grain bill to get it to lean a bit more towards orange than straw yellow. I plan on using Citra, Sultana, and Eclipse. More heavy handed with the Citra.

I have a batch nearing terminal that I'm about to dry hop. I went with simcoe cryo and motueka to pair with superdelic. 6oz/2oz/4oz of superdelic/simcoe cryo/motueka
Please post up how it turns out. I'm really excited to try it but will probably be another 2-3 weeks before I get a chance to brew. Love the descriptors of it but would be nervous to go too heavy handed with it in case it's too dominant, especially being a NZ hop.

Please post up how it turns out. I'm really excited to try it but will probably be another 2-3 weeks before I get a chance to brew. Love the descriptors of it but would be nervous to go too heavy handed with it in case it's too dominant, especially being a NZ hop.
will do! I asked about them before using them if you search back. I know some people here had good things to say about it

I have not used it personally and have only had maybe 3 beers with it, but I feel superdelic is very similar to enigma. Red berry with an earthiness/herbaciousness. It’s cool but I think hop pairing will matter. I believe it’s described as mango/tropical but I def perceived red berry/blueberry skin type notes with a definite earthy undertone

If you're getting onion and garlic from any hop, that's not an attribute of the variety but because it's been picked too late. Was a particular problem during Covid disruptions to harvesting.
I took a trip to VT this past Summer and every mosaic hazy, neipa and ipa tasted like onion and BO. It wasn't always like that. I used to love Mosaic - always red berries and candy.

I have not used it personally and have only had maybe 3 beers with it, but I feel superdelic is very similar to enigma. Red berry with an earthiness/herbaciousness. It’s cool but I think hop pairing will matter. I believe it’s described as mango/tropical but I def perceived red berry/blueberry skin type notes with a definite earthy undertone
That's interesting to know. The herb/earthy profile wasn't listed and probably would have made me think twice as it's something I really don't like in hops because for some reason it always overrides the fruit flavours for me. Might be something to try out on a non competition beer.

That's interesting to know. The herb/earthy profile wasn't listed and probably would have made me think twice as it's something I really don't like in hops because for some reason it always overrides the fruit flavours for me. Might be something to try out on a non competition beer.
All you can do is run some pellets and smell them. See what you get for the lot you have

Superdelic I brewed with was candyland red berries super nice. Good pair with a little HBC1019 to accentuate the candyness with a bit of cream

I just recently used chit for the first time, at 16%, paired with standard 2-row. Holy hell is it a protein monster. First time I ever had a boilover situation with my setup! Thankfully I had a steam hat on.

All you can do is run some pellets and smell them. See what you get for the lot you have
Hops arrived today so will rub a few and hopefully they're all fruit.

Finally got some A24 Dry hop to try out. I know you love this yeast so what's your fermentation temps like to get the best out of this strain?

Superdelic I brewed with was candyland red berries super nice. Good pair with a little HBC1019 to accentuate the candyness with a bit of cream
Hopefully that's what my batch is like too. Where did you get yours from? I see you're in Europe too, I got mine from Malt Miller in the UK.

Hops arrived today so will rub a few and hopefully they're all fruit.

Finally got some A24 Dry hop to try out. I know you love this yeast so what's your fermentation temps like to get the best out of this strain?
It can handle up to 74-76*f if you’re comfortable pushing it.

I usually pitch 68. Let it freerise to 72 hold it for 48, then let it freerise to 74 or 76*f and hold it for 4-5 days. Then you can let it naturally fall stable until you’re ready to crash. My most recent beer with a24 gave a really nice water profile of citrus and stone fruit. Very reminiscent of nectarine

It can handle up to 74-76*f if you’re comfortable pushing it.

I usually pitch 68. Let it freerise to 72 hold it for 48, then let it freerise to 74 or 76*f and hold it for 4-5 days. Then you can let it naturally fall stable until you’re ready to crash. My most recent beer with a24 gave a really nice water profile of citrus and stone fruit. Very reminiscent of nectarine
That's pretty close to how I run Verdant so. Only let it go to 73/74 but that's usually after most of the fermentation is done.

I'm gearing up to brew a neipa this weekend, for those that are adjusting ph post boil, what ph are you aiming for and how are you adjusting, lactic acid? I use phosphoric acid to adjust my strike and sparge water but I have lactic on hand as well. When are you adjusting? After the whirlpool, in the fermenter? I assume before pitching yeast.

I'm gearing up to brew a neipa this weekend, for those that are adjusting ph post boil, what ph are you aiming for and how are you adjusting, lactic acid? I use phosphoric acid to adjust my strike and sparge water but I have lactic on hand as well. When are you adjusting? After the whirlpool, in the fermenter? I assume before pitching yeast.
My process aligns with Fidens, or I guess I should say my process is close but will be shifting to their numbers on current / next batch. I was aiming for 5.3-5.4 in the Mash but that’s not the first time I’ve heard going lower for this style.

I use lactic in the kettle, phosphoric in the FV. Not a lot of rhyme or reason there. I believe phosphoric is more reactive and flavor neutral so feels like it makes more sense in later stages.

Fidens:
Mash ph 5.2-5.25.
Post WP ph 5.0.
PH before dry hopping 4.3-4.39

I brew large batches so the phosphoric acid I use is 85% solution and only need .1 ml per gallon of water to correct my strike water.. that said, and I know it will vary for different batches but I don't want to overdo it, about how much acid do you add on average post whirlpool and in the fermenter?

To be honest. If I mash at 5.2 I will land 5.0 at knock out. Almost religiously. What is typically your knock out ph?

Back