New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed today with some 2022 galaxy in the whirlpool because I'm not going to use anymore of it dryhopping. It smelled...spicy or something. I couldn't put my finger on exactly how it smelled. Not good in the boil. Hours burned on the brew day and I actually considered dumping the batch at that point. Should I dispose of all the rest of it OR use it for a west coast?

Thoughts on the smell and future usage?

Lately I’ve been fermenting LA3 at 64 and found that I get a lot more hop expression. I’ve tried it at all different temps but found that I actually really like it the colder I go.

I was using the Omega variant for quite a while as I’ve found it attenuates a bit better than the Wyeast version. Currently trying out a new Aussie yeast lab called Bluestone. Their variant gave me good results on the first generation so I’m excited to use it more.
I’ll give that a shot next time. I tried 63 one time and I feel I got a lot of some of that old school eq Melon prior, prior to them turning to **** lol. I’ll be brewing a hazy in the next few weeeks hopefully, I’ll keep you posted

Brewed today with some 2022 galaxy in the whirlpool because I'm not going to use anymore of it dryhopping. It smelled...spicy or something. I couldn't put my finger on exactly how it smelled. Not good in the boil. Hours burned on the brew day and I actually considered dumping the batch at that point. Should I dispose of all the rest of it OR use it for a west coast?

Thoughts on the smell and future usage?
If it’s bad, keep the beer as fermentation will probably blow alot of it off as Galaxy doesn’t have too many “survivables” and then dryhop with something potent, like Citra or Citra cryo. I would definitely throw out the left over hops though. I’ve tossed multiple lbs of Galaxy over the past few years. I figure it’s not worth my time and labor to brew bad beer with great process

Every beer made with laIII, taste like it’s made with laiii. I use a variation of it in some beers but I would say it’s one of the worst yeast for hop expression, every beer made with it taste almost the same in my opinion.

I will say that it’s hard to beat its mouthfeel though.
I’ve never necessarily tried to “push” ester character from it. I always do a very healthy pitch and ferment at 68 before the D rest. In my experience the esters usually take a back seat the way I normally use it and the hop character is up front. I can see what you mean as far as beers with LAIII that try to push the ferm character though.

Every beer made with laIII, taste like it’s made with laiii. I use a variation of it in some beers but I would say it’s one of the worst yeast for hop expression, every beer made with it taste almost the same in my opinion.

I will say that it’s hard to beat its mouthfeel though.
Guess I picked the wrong time to try 1318 (White Labs WLP066). I mashed really low (mash in 148, mash out 146) and after 8 days it is siting as 1.012. Worried it is going to be too thin. Do you think adding some lactose dissolved in water would help? It is a 3.5 gallon batch, how much would I need to bring it back to 1.020 or whatever is desired? BTW, this batch I am using up leftover hops, it is 50:50 Citra T90 and Cryo Pop blend. Do you think the yeast will over power these hops?

Guess I picked the wrong time to try 1318 (White Labs WLP066). I mashed really low (mash in 148, mash out 146) and after 8 days it is siting as 1.012. Worried it is going to be too thin. Do you think adding some lactose dissolved in water would help? It is a 3.5 gallon batch, how much would I need to bring it back to 1.020 or whatever is desired? BTW, this batch I am using up leftover hops, it is 50:50 Citra T90 and Cryo Pop blend. Do you think the yeast will over power these hops?

How does it taste and how is the mouthfeel? You may be trying to solve a problem that you don't have.

But if you do add lactose, and you want 8 gravity points (i.e. 1.020 - 1.012)...
... 8 x 3.5 gallons = 28 points
... I calculate lactose at 43.7 PPG (Points per Pound Per Gallon)
... 28 / 43.7 = 0.64 Pounds Lactose

The above ignores the gravity (1.000) of the water water you'll need to dissolve the lactose, which will offset your gravity gain a little bit. For more precise calculations, brewing software helps.

It smelled very yeasty so I did not taste it. I am fermenting in a keg with floating dip tube, maybe there is still krausen? Is this the 1318 overpowering effect? Thanks for the math!

It smelled very yeasty so I did not taste it. I am fermenting in a keg with floating dip tube, maybe there is still krausen? Is this the 1318 overpowering effect? Thanks for the math!
I’d also personally suggest Maltodextrin vs lactose if you go that route

I’ll give that a shot next time. I tried 63 one time and I feel I got a lot of some of that old school eq Melon prior, prior to them turning to **** lol. I’ll be brewing a hazy in the next few weeeks hopefully, I’ll keep you posted
Are you sure the melon was from the yeast not from the hops? which hops did you use in that brew?

Are you sure the melon was from the yeast not from the hops? which hops did you use in that brew?
Positive. Same lot of hops I was running through and first time I got distinct melon was running laiii (juice) at 63. It was Citra, strata, and Nelson

***now that I think about it, there is a chance that instead of producing an ester of melon at 63, it actually produced little esters and the hops presented the way. That said I doubt it with that combo ***

Last edited:
i don't think they did, i remember Jamie moving on to another topic, I was so bummed. I need to listen again, to make sure i have everything right, first time i was mowing the lawn and missed some details. below were the notes i was able to take, took me a lot longer to mow that day.

Grain:
Ton of wheat, some oats, malted and or flaked, dash of pilsner sometimes as little as 30%
1-2% rice hulls
Run rakes super slow - gentle is better/don’t beat your mash up
Thick mash - 1.0 - 1.25 qt/lb
Dextrose if needed (make up for bad eff)
Uses brewers crystals / maltodextrin - no more than 10% combined. To add even more body
For Hazy DIPAs
Staring Plato 20.5 (1.085), finishes at 5.5 (1.022)
155 mash
5.5 is the sweet spot for hazy dipa

Finishing platos:
Single 5.5-6
Double 5-5.5
Triple 4-4.5

Water
Heavy calcium chloride, pinch sulfate and a dash of sodium chloride
I think he said 250ppm of cacl * I could have this wrong *

Hops
If he wants bitterness - uses a dash of flex hop extract, no hops in boil

Whirlpool
1.0 - 1.5 lb/bbl @ 170

Dryhop
Uses citra for almost every beer
Rates
Triple IPA 5-6lb/bbl dryhop
Double 5-5.5lb/bbl dryhop
Single 4.5-5lb/bbl

pH
Ko 5.2-5.3
Package 4.6-4.8

I decided to be the Guinea Pig for the Brujos style brew today.

Mashed 12.5kg @ 150F into my Grainfather S40. Pushed it to its absolute limit.

35% Extra Pale Pilsner
65% Combination of Oats & Wheat. Heavier on the Oats.

1.20qt/lb water/grain ratio. I used my whirlpool paddle attachment with my cordless drill to emulate a slow rake in the mash.

The sparge sucked fr. I went grocery shopping waiting for the grain bed to drain.

No dextrose or LDME in the boil for me as I had a touch more efficiency than planned. May add some Maltodextrin post ferm depending on finishing gravity.

3.5 ounce combo of Columbus & Motueka @ 170 in the whirlpool.

OG 1.090
Knockout pH 5.2
265 Chloride 50 Sulphate 100 Calcium

I think I’ve hit the brief pretty well. Had a suss at their Untappd. Saw a beer of theirs named Magos Del Subterraneo with Citra, Nelson, Motueka & Raw Honey so I’ve decided to base this recipe of that beer. I’ll Dry Hop with a combination of those 3 hops at the equivalent of 6lb/bbl and add Raw Orange Blossom Honey at High Krausen.

That's awesome! Keep us posted on the progress. What eff did you end up getting? If I planned on doing a clone, I was thinking around 60% on my system. Curious what you ended up getting on the GF.

35% Extra Pale Pilsner

1.20qt/lb water/grain ratio. I used my whirlpool paddle attachment with my cordless drill to emulate a slow rake in the mash.

The sparge sucked fr. I went grocery shopping waiting for the grain bed to drain.

No dextrose or LDME in the boil for me as I had a touch more efficiency than planned. May add some Maltodextrin post ferm depending on finishing gravity.

OG 1.090
Knockout pH 5.2

I think I’ve hit the brief pretty well. Had a suss at their Untappd. Saw a beer of theirs named Magos Del Subterraneo with Citra, Nelson, Motueka & Raw Honey so I’ve decided to base this recipe of that beer. I’ll Dry Hop with a combination of those 3 hops at the equivalent of 6lb/bbl and add Raw Orange Blossom Honey at High Krausen.

Sounds good.

35% Extra Pale Pilsner

OG 1.090
Knockout pH 5.2

I think I’ve hit the brief pretty well. Had a suss at their Untappd. Saw a beer of theirs named Magos Del Subterraneo with Citra, Nelson, Motueka & Raw Honey so I’ve decided to base this recipe of that beer. I’ll Dry Hop with a combination of those 3 hops at the equivalent of 6lb/bbl and add Raw Orange Blossom Honey at high Krausen
Wasn’t Brujo’s mash temp 155?

I bet you’ll see around a 10% beer mashing 150 and adding honey

That's awesome! Keep us posted on the progress. What eff did you end up getting? If I planned on doing a clone, I was thinking around 60% on my system. Curious what you ended up getting on the GF.

I got 68% mash efficiency on this one. I was expecting around 65%. It was only my second brew on my new S40 and the 2nd time I’ve used my new mill so I’m still trying to understand the equipment.

Wasn’t Brujo’s mash temp 155?

I bet you’ll see around a 10% beer mashing 150 and adding honey

I mashed a tad lower as I was expecting poorer efficiency. Looking like it will be around 9.5%.

I got 68% mash efficiency on this one. I was expecting around 65%. It was only my second brew on my new S40 and the 2nd time I’ve used my new mill so I’m still trying to understand the equipment.

I mashed a tad lower as I was expecting poorer efficiency. Looking like it will be around 9.5%.
I feel you. On my big grain bills I only ever really get 65%, so that’s good that you got decent efficiency.

don’t forget to factor the honey into the abv too. The grains 1.090-1.018 will be 9.5%. Honey is about 95% fermentable so every lb roughly brings your abv up 0.9%

Either way it will be very informative. I’m interested to see if you think the increased wheat/oats does anything more than say 40-50%

35% Extra Pale Pilsner

OG 1.090
Knockout pH 5.2

I also am very curious on his process after listening to the podcast and plan on trying it out....so am definitely interested on how it turns out for you, keep us updated. Also not sure if I missed it but what yeast did you use? I dont remember them talking yeast in the episode

One of my favorite breweries, Omnipollo posted pickers from hop harvest. I was excited to see they use Yakima Chief. And look who's in the background... Henery!

Unfortunately I have a freezer full of Yakima Valley hops LoL
Screenshot_20230923_014441_Instagram.jpg

One of my favorite breweries, Omnipollo posted pickers from hop harvest. I was excited to see they use Yakima Chief. And look who's in the background... Henery!

Unfortunately I have a freezer full of Yakima Valley hops LoL
View attachment 830068
I don’t mind omnipollo but they tend to do too much adjuncting for my typical preference. They are also silly expensive by me in NY. Like $30 a 4pk so I tend to pass.

Why are you surprised they use Yakima chief? They are literally the largest us hop conglomerate, having rights to most US hops, and sole proprietor of cryo hops. I would bet almost every big name (and even the little guys) in the industry has some contract or another with them.

I don’t mind omnipollo but they tend to do too much adjuncting for my typical preference. They are also silly expensive by me in NY. Like $30 a 4pk so I tend to pass.

Why are you surprised they use Yakima chief? They are literally the largest us hop conglomerate, having rights to most US hops, and sole proprietor of cryo hops. I would bet almost every big name (and even the little guys) in the industry has some contract or another with them.
I know Tree House uses YCH, because they did a video of their hop freezer. LOTS of boxes of YCH.

I personally feel as though my best beer has been made with YCH. Problem is, you can never tell when ordering from an online retailer if you're going to get Yakima Chief, as they don't sell small bags directly to home brewers. I ordered from Great Fermentations online, but ended up needing to call them for a question, and they actually looked at their inventory and confirmed my Tettnanger hops were YCH, so that was cool.

I know Tree House uses YCH, because they did a video of their hop freezer. LOTS of boxes of YCH.

I personally feel as though my best beer has been made with YCH. Problem is, you can never tell when ordering from an online retailer if you're going to get Yakima Chief, as they don't sell small bags directly to home brewers. I ordered from Great Fermentations online, but ended up needing to call them for a question, and they actually looked at their inventory and confirmed my Tettnanger hops were YCH, so that was cool.
I’m pretty sure you can order directly from Yakima chief.

Only for certain varieties. Every time I was looking for something specific, it was either out of stock, or they wanted me to order 11 pounds
I haven’t check in a while. Always thought you could get 1lb from them

I haven’t check in a while. Always thought you could get 1lb from them
Nope. Always a very limited variety of hops you can get directly from yakimachief.com, especially when trying to purchase a lb at a time. You can sometimes get 1oz or 2oz packs, but obviously, they're marked way up. And forget getting Citra...

I have had some great YCH hops in the past too. Check out morebeer’s hops by the lot page. I recently noticed it: Hops by the Lot | MoreBeer
Its all YCH & several have multiple lots with flavor/aroma descriptors to choose among. Mostly cryo, but some T90s as well. Just purchased a bag of piney Simcoe which I plan to use in an upcoming west coast.

I have had some great YCH hops in the past too. Check out morebeer’s hops by the lot page. I recently noticed it: Hops by the Lot | MoreBeer
Its all YCH & several have multiple lots with flavor/aroma descriptors to choose among. Mostly cryo, but some T90s as well. Just purchased a bag of piney Simcoe which I plan to use in an upcoming west coast.
Awesome. Thanks!

I also am very curious on his process after listening to the podcast and plan on trying it out....so am definitely interested on how it turns out for you, keep us updated. Also not sure if I missed it but what yeast did you use? I dont remember them talking yeast in the episode
Yeah one thing they didn’t really touch on in this episode is the fermentation process.

I’m using BSY-A011, basically a London Ale III variant from an Australian Yeast Manufacturer called Bluestone.

D6B6087B-541C-4ADB-8F3F-17FDAD62C161.jpeg

A sample of one of two ipas I recently brewed. 70% Pilsner 30% malted oats
Ctz, motueka, rakau I’m really digging it this far. I used coastal haze since I got a free package from my local homebrew store.
Also brewed a recipe similar to brujos that has finished fermenting and will soon transfer to a keg and do my first dry hop. Thinking of doing 100% Nelson.

Hell yea looks good. Keep us posted on how the other one turns out, in what way is it similar to the brujos process and what's diffrent? 100% nelson sounds right up my alley

View attachment 830371
A sample of one of two ipas I recently brewed. 70% Pilsner 30% malted oats
Ctz, motueka, rakau I’m really digging it this far. I used coastal haze since I got a free package from my local homebrew store.
Also brewed a recipe similar to brujos that has finished fermenting and will soon transfer to a keg and do my first dry hop. Thinking of doing 100% Nelson.

Hell yea looks good. Keep us posted on how the other one turns out, in what way is it similar to the brujos process and what's diffrent? 100% nelson sounds right up my alley
The grain bill:
I did
50% Pilsner malt
30% spelt malt
20% malted oats
So it’s not the exact percentages that brujos applies but some what close.
My OG ended up being 20 P
And Final 4.08.

For those that use fermentation to purge your DH and/or serving keg:

How long does it take to fully purge a corny keg? Is there enough CO2 produced to purge multiple kegs?

For those that use fermentation to purge your DH and/or serving keg:

How long does it take to fully purge a corny keg? Is there enough CO2 produced to purge multiple kegs?
@doug293cz did a calculation that shows 5gal ferment is sufficient to purge 5gal keg of O2. Therefore the time taken is fermentation time.

Ok I have a variable somewhere that I cant put my finger on. I have had a problem achieving proper haze, the opaque type, no problem with stability but just not opaque. So here's my basic recipe and process. Any input would be appreciated. Sorry in advance for the long post, hopefully I didn't miss anything.

60% 2row
15% white wheat
15% malted oats
4% carapils
4% dextrose
2% honey malt

CA 150
NA 50
SO4 100
CL 200
Mash ph 5.4

CTZ at 60min 10 ibu
CTZ at 5 min 10 ibu
Mosaic at 5min 10 ibu

Whirlpool at 170f for 20 minutes
.5 oz per gallon CTZ
.5 oz per gallon nectaron
1oz per gallon citra

Coastal haze yeast

Dry hop 1
1:1:1
Citra, mosaic, nectaron
At 1 oz per gallon

Dry hop 2
Repeat dryhop 1

Before dry hop, soft crash for 48hours to 50f, drop yeast, let come back to 55f and dry hop there. 1 day between each dry hop addition purging co2 during dry hop then rousing hops with co2 a few times. Cold crash for 3 days or so, close transfer keg.

Final product, yes its hazy, and the pic is in poor lighting, if you hold it to light it's not opaque at all. So, maybe less malted oats and more wheat, maybe more hops? Thoughts? Process.. can you rouse to much?
20230925_185110.jpg

Ok I have a variable somewhere that I cant put my finger on. I have had a problem achieving proper haze, the opaque type, no problem with stability but just not opaque. So here's my basic recipe and process. Any input would be appreciated. Sorry in advance for the long post, hopefully I didn't miss anything.

60% 2row
15% white wheat
15% malted oats
4% carapils
4% dextrose
2% honey malt

CA 150
NA 50
SO4 100
CL 200
Mash ph 5.4

CTZ at 60min 10 ibu
CTZ at 5 min 10 ibu
Mosaic at 5min 10 ibu

Whirlpool at 170f for 20 minutes
.5 oz per gallon CTZ
.5 oz per gallon nectaron
1oz per gallon citra

Coastal haze yeast

Dry hop 1
1:1:1
Citra, mosaic, nectaron
At 1 oz per gallon

Dry hop 2
Repeat dryhop 1

Before dry hop, soft crash for 48hours to 50f, drop yeast, let come back to 55f and dry hop there. 1 day between each dry hop addition purging co2 during dry hop then rousing hops with co2 a few times. Cold crash for 3 days or so, close transfer keg.

Final product, yes its hazy, and the pic is in poor lighting, if you hold it to light it's not opaque at all. So, maybe less malted oats and more wheat, maybe more hops? Thoughts? Process.. can you rouse to much?
recipe and process look solid. In my experience milky opaque come with ~30% malted oats (edit: and LA3). Also, that much calcium could lead to clearing, but I can’t say this for sure. I aim for 100ppm ca and use na Cl to keep ca moderate.
I don’t think rousing will reduce haze UNLESS there is still a good amount of yeast in there that you didn’t dump. I use whirfloc and boil about 30 minutes.

IMG_3130.jpeg

Last edited:
I thought about that with rousing, that maybe there was still some yeast in the cone of my conical.. I didn't think about the calcium clearing some but that makes sense.. I also use whirlfloc. So, 30% malted oats, ok, what about wheat?

I appreciate the response.

Edit: beautiful beer btw.

I thought about that with rousing, that maybe there was still some yeast in the cone of my conical.. I didn't think about the calcium clearing some but that makes sense.. I also use whirlfloc. So, 30% malted oats, ok, what about wheat?

I appreciate the response.

Edit: beautiful beer btw.
That’s got 10 percent each malted wheat and raw wheat. I’ve never used chit but I think it would have a similar effect as my “undermodified” raw wheat

Latest posts

Back