New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By malted oats do you mean Golden Naked Oats?
No, I mean oat malt or malted oat.

Golden naked oats are a crystal 10L oat malt. If you use that, I would suggest not surpassing 5%

Last edited:
Looking at doing a Yakima Valley order over the next few days and wondering is there anymore updates on their 2022 Nelson? Remember a few pages back some saying it wasn't great. They still have 2021 in stock so wondering should I just stick to that. Also is their 22 Galaxy bad? Any new experimental hops worth checking out? Would like to try something new and interesting.

Looking at doing a Yakima Valley order over the next few days and wondering is there anymore updates on their 2022 Nelson? Remember a few pages back some saying it wasn't great. They still have 2021 in stock so wondering should I just stick to that. Also is their 22 Galaxy bad? Any new experimental hops worth checking out? Would like to try something new and interesting.
I haven’t heard anything from Nelson but I heard Galaxy was good. I ended up grabbing mosaic and Talus this week.

I bought two pounds from YVH and have a DIPA on the books this weekend featuring 2022 Nelson (along side Strata, Citra, and HBC586). Also hoping it’s not a bust… if it’s as good as 2021, I’ll be happy. Hoping for more white grape and less diesel this time around. I haven’t opened the bags yet.

Last edited:
Galaxy is great so is Nelson. I recently purchased 2022 Nectaron from northwest hop farms out of BC. Haven’t used it yet but I have high expectations.
Good to know, thanks. I'll add them to my order. Still hesitant with Galaxy as I must have about 25oz of the 2020 crop in my freezer that's junk. Can't bring myself to use it.

FWIW, I’ve been using all my suspect hops in the whirlpool without issue. YMMV
That's a good idea. One way of chipping away at the stock. This Galaxy is just so bad, seems pointless using it. I got 16oz of it from Yakima at the time, I complained how bad it was and they sent me another 16oz of it that was just slightly better but still not was Galaxy used to be.

That's a good idea. One way of chipping away at the stock. This Galaxy is just so bad, seems pointless using it. I got 16oz of it from Yakima at the time, I complained how bad it was and they sent me another 16oz of it that was just slightly better but still not was Galaxy used to be.
Bad in what way? Onion/garlic or cheese? If it’s just a lack of tropical character, then I’d whirlpool. I’ve had to toss hops that had a cheesy quality to them, I can attest that anything closely resembling parmesan flavor will ruin an IPA

Bad in what way? Onion/garlic or cheese? If it’s just a lack of tropical character, then I’d whirlpool. I’ve had to toss hops that had a cheesy quality to them, I can attest that anything closely resembling parmesan flavor will ruin an IPA
A real strong vegetal smell and zero tropical fruit aroma. I had a small amount of 2019 Galaxy left and I compared the two and it was night and day. The 19 batch was pure passionfruit.

A real strong vegetal smell and zero tropical fruit aroma. I had a small amount of 2019 Galaxy left and I compared the two and it was night and day. The 19 batch was pure passionfruit.
I don’t think it’ll hurt in the WP, but I would definitely use it as a minor proportion. That’s a bummer

Welll.. cheesy implies short-chain acids which aren't good in themselves but which are the building blocks for all sorts of interesting esters if you let yeast play with them. So you don't want to dry hop with them, but potentially a little bit in the whirlpool could be a good thing.

Welll.. cheesy implies short-chain acids which aren't good in themselves but which are the building blocks for all sorts of interesting esters if you let yeast play with them. So you don't want to dry hop with them, but potentially a little bit in the whirlpool could be a good thing.
I totally understand where you are coming from. I just read a paper from BrewingScience (Takoi, 2019) that showed transformation of cheesy fatty acids like isovaleric acid & 2-methylbutyric into fruity esters ethyl isovalerate & ethyl 2-methylbutyrate, respectively, from a lager strain. Apparently Brett is really good at this. I haven't read anything about cerevisiae.

However, my experience (I was clearing out inventory in a pale ale - mosaic, can't remember the crop year), was horrible. For me, the math is simple: I'd rather lose $15 of hops than a 10G batch and requisite time cost. A challenge I'm personally experiencing is that many scientific findings don't often translate well in practice. That's not to say they're wrong; there are a lot of variables that aren't well understood. Hence the need for more research to build a more comprehensive picture. Differences in process coupled with biological heterogeneity in yeast/hops likely explains a majority of the variance if I had to guess.

Last edited:
I did that with some Citra Lupomax. I complained, and they sent me another 16oz of diesel fuel lol.

So this is my first beer with Coastal Haze. It turned out well! Definitely nothing wrong with it, it does let the hops shine better than Juice, Verdant. I do think I like A24 a bit better IMO. I mashed it the same schedule I normally use when I use A24 and A24 seems to attenuate better though. As it is Coastal Haze got me 75% AA with an OG of 1.072, FG was 1.017. I was shooting for 1.014. A24 typically gets me right at 80-81% AA every time. Again its a solid beer.

Dry Hopped this with Citra/Strata/Nelson in a 2:1:1 ratio. This flavor profile is downright excellent! I like the addition of nelson to Citra:Strata combos MUCH better than Citra:Strata alone or with a different third hop.

thumbnail_IMG_4647.jpeg

So this is my first beer with Coastal Haze. It turned out well! Definitely nothing wrong with it, it does let the hops shine better than Juice, Verdant. I do think I like A24 a bit better IMO. I mashed it the same schedule I normally use when I use A24 and A24 seems to attenuate better though. As it is Coastal Haze got me 75% AA with an OG of 1.072, FG was 1.017. I was shooting for 1.014. A24 typically gets me right at 80-81% AA every time. Again its a solid beer.

Dry Hopped this with Citra/Strata/Nelson in a 2:1:1 ratio. This flavor profile is downright excellent! I like the addition of nelson to Citra:Strata combos MUCH better than Citra:Strata alone or with a different third hop.

View attachment 809738
Looks great! I just did practically the same hop bill but with the addition of Galaxy. Thought it was great. That said, as it aged it seemed to lean more malty so idk if I unfortunately slacked in process and picked up some o2 or if it was age with the combo. Keep me posted please on how your beer ages, will help me confirm

Last edited:
So I’ve got a NEIPA finishing right now, tried it out of the fermenter and it is like biting into a hop pellet. Not good. I moved the fermenter to my garage where it’s about 30 degrees to cold crash it for a few days. Hoping things will drop out of suspension before kegging. Plan after that is to let it sit in the keg for a week to see if the juicy flavor I want comes through.

Hop schedule was
1 oz Amarillo at 5 min
2 oz citra & 1 oz mosaic in whirlpool
2 oz citra & 1 oz el dorado in pre ferment DH
2 oz citra & 1 oz galaxy 4 days ago

Is this brew savable?

So I’ve got a NEIPA finishing right now, tried it out of the fermenter and it is like biting into a hop pellet. Not good. I moved the fermenter to my garage where it’s about 30 degrees to cold crash it for a few days. Hoping things will drop out of suspension before kegging. Plan after that is to let it sit in the keg for a week to see if the juicy flavor I want comes through.

Hop schedule was
1 oz Amarillo at 5 min

Is this brew savable?
Cold crashing will definitely help. Time is the best medicine

Hop schedule was
1 oz Amarillo at 5 min

Is this brew savable?
That’s what happens when you dryhop during or pre fermentation. Active yeast bind polyphenols and protiens causing hop burn. That’s what you’re experiencing. Time will help, will take about 2-3 weeks at serving temps to drop out of suspension

Last edited:
Finishing a quick batch for visit to relatives later this week. Followed Brewfather partial mash, no boil recipe Cheaters hazy - Mark Paulick
Brewfather
Ferment and serve from same keg, quick carbed at 35psi 24 hr, 24psi 24 hr, 12psi to finish. Day 6 (photo) heavy phenol, diesel, with strong citrus tropical. As @Dgallo states above, dryhop near/during fermentation will cause some off tastes. Plan to serve this Friday (day 10). Not peak, but drinkable. Should balance out with time.
1673282236495.jpeg

Hey everyone…it’s been a while since I’ve posted. Had a baby in July and well, let’s just say I’ve had zero time to put together a brew day. I’m going to have a day to myself this weekend so here comes my first brew in a while. Can’t wait.

I have some citra t-90s for late kettle, mosaic incognito for the WP, and then some citra cryo, lupomax, and hop hash for the dry hop.

Pretty pumped for this one. Cheers!

Hey everyone…it’s been a while since I’ve posted. Had a baby in July and well, let’s just say I’ve had zero time to put together a brew day. I’m going to have a day to myself this weekend so here comes my first brew in a while. Can’t wait.

I have some citra t-90s for late kettle, mosaic incognito for the WP, and then some citra cryo, lupomax, and hop hash for the dry hop.

Congrats man! I know how that goes, we are expecting our 3rd within the next 3 weeks or so. You gotta start working on some dme/no boil recipes. You’ll be done in less then 3 hours with clean up and your wife/lady/partner will allow you to brew far more often Lol

Congrats man! I know how that goes, we are expecting our 3rd within the next 3 weeks or so. You gotta start working on some dme/no boil recipes. You’ll be done in less then 3 hours with clean up and your wife/lady/partner will allow you to brew far more often Lol
Congrats to you as well! This is my second…can only imagine 3. Lol.

We actually took a weekend trip In October up to your neck of the woods. Hit Thacher Boyd state park, Fidens, the city beer hall, stayed a night in Albany, then stopped in Catskill and Hudson on the way home the next day. Hit crossroads, subversive, and Suarez. I love it upstate.

4104D81B-EBDF-4EC5-A2B0-371A226CCBFB.jpeg

Congrats to you as well! This is my second…can only imagine 3. Lol.

We actually took a weekend trip In October up to your neck of the woods. Hit Thacher Boyd state park, Fidens, the city beer hall, stayed a night in Albany, then stopped in Catskill and Hudson on the way home the next day. Hit crossroads, subversive, and Suarez. I love it upstate.

View attachment 809949
wish you would have got a hold of me, we are only 15 min away, it’s gorgeous in the fall. Next time you up, do so, I’ll send you to some awesome taprooms/bottle shops with insane food.

Should be good! Congrats on your baby!

Not sure if any of you are familiar with Matt from Brew Cabin. Seems like a cool guy. Somewhat gimicky, but he's trying to make his way as a social media presence. I'm trying his recipe, since I have plethora of ingredients that seem to match. My personal favorite as of right now for my hazy is 67% Mecca 2 Row, 27% Mecca White Wheat, 6% Carafoam (not Carapils).

I'm going way outside my comfort zone: 59% 2 Row, 17.5% Flaked Oats, 17.5% Flaked Wheat and 6% Carafoam. I have dropped all flaked adjuncts for well over a year now, but figured I'd give this recipe a shot. Brewing Thursday. Shooting for 1.070 OG, 52 IBU. All Citra. Coastal Haze. 2:1 CL: SO4. I'll keep you all posted.

Cold crashed for 3 days and kegged, beer has lost almost all of the bite that plagued it before. Really tropical and fruity. Don’t have space in my keggerator so it’ll cold condition in the garage for a bit, but I have high hopes.

Hey All! Long time lurker here. I'm hoping someone can help with me an issue that has popped up a few times on my IPAs. Every now and then after Primary i get this herbal/green/bitter flavor. i've tasted in in commercials Hazys and i hate it so i'm embarressed when it happens. but it doesn't happen very often. most recent batch that's showing it Looks like this for a 5.5 gallon batch:
7 Lbs rahr 2 row
7 lbs crisp pale
2 lbs flaked oats
1 lb white wheat
hop schedule (30 min boil)
.2 oz centennial at 30
2 oz citra at whirlpool (180 degrees)
2 oz galaxy at whirlpool (180 degrees)
fermented with 1 pack of Notty and 1/2 pack of windsor (have used this yeast combo a few times and it's worked great)
haven't dry hopped yet, im noticing the flavor after primary in gravity the sample.
i've used this exact hop schedule before and had no issues. it was the same bag of galaxy but i haven't used in in about 4 months.
i did notice some pretty bitterness almost like hop burn on brew day which i don't normally get. maybe the galaxy went to crap?
any ideas? anyone experience this?

Citra/Nelson/Riwaka NEIPA update:

14 lb 2 row
3 lb flaked oats
0.75 lb wheat

0.5 oz Warrior (19 IBU)
2 oz Nelson whirlpool (175 for 30 min)
2 oz Riwaka whirlpool (175 for 30 min)
2 oz Citra whirlpool (175 for 30 min)

2 oz Nelson dry hop
2 oz Riwaka dry hop
4 oz Citra dry hop

Imperial Dry Hop (slow rise 62 to 72 degrees)

75:150 sulfate:chloride

O.G. = 1.060
F.G. = 1.010
ABV = 6.6%

Color is right where I want it, much better than my last beer I posted about. Aroma is overripe fruit, pine, white wine, slightly dank. Flavor is pineapple, pine, white wine, peach, dankness and an earthy herbal quality. When I first tried this beer after a few weeks it was so overwhelmingly estery, I thought I had made a huge mistake with Imperial Dry Hop. It tasted like a Belgian ale. To my surprise, just a week or two later, the esters calmed down to exactly the right level to compliment the hops in a NEIPA. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side but still juicy. This is a nice departure from the straight mango/pineapple I typically brew, and overall I'm really happy with it.

Attachments

• 1673650745779.png
    1673650745779.png
    5 MB · Views: 0
Whoa new hop from new zealand Peacharine is nuts! If you can get some buy it all!
I was able to get some from freestyle hops and it’s great. Its like a peach/nectarine forward nelson. I got it from someone I know in the industry but I haven’t seen any for homebrewers, where did you see it?

Citra/Nelson/Riwaka NEIPA update:

14 lb 2 row
3 lb flaked oats
0.75 lb wheat

0.5 oz Warrior (19 IBU)
2 oz Nelson whirlpool (175 for 30 min)
2 oz Riwaka whirlpool (175 for 30 min)
2 oz Citra whirlpool (175 for 30 min)

2 oz Nelson dry hop
2 oz Riwaka dry hop
4 oz Citra dry hop

Imperial Dry Hop (slow rise 62 to 72 degrees)

75:150 sulfate:chloride

O.G. = 1.060
F.G. = 1.010
ABV = 6.6%

Color is right where I want it, much better than my last beer I posted about. Aroma is overripe fruit, pine, white wine, slightly dank. Flavor is pineapple, pine, white wine, peach, dankness and an earthy herbal quality. When I first tried this beer after a few weeks it was so overwhelmingly estery, I thought I had made a huge mistake with Imperial Dry Hop. It tasted like a Belgian ale. To my surprise, just a week or two later, the esters calmed down to exactly the right level to compliment the hops in a NEIPA. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side but still juicy. This is a nice departure from the straight mango/pineapple I typically brew, and overall I'm really happy with it.
Your beer looks great. Love everything about that combo. I love that yeast too. I’ve never had it get Belgian like though. I wonder what it was that caused it as it’s a Conan and Sac trios blend. Interesting never the less

Back