New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look up a vitality starter, that’s essentially what you did here. You may not have had the count you desired but the yeasties were primed and ready to CONSUME
I hate to pitch so much spent DME, but it is what it is. The amount of hops in this batch should mask anything off.

These yeasties were on a rampage. Absolutely crushed this fermentation.

45E2F1F3-7830-479F-A226-851C458B8E18.jpeg

I put my 4 month old hb neipa to the left of juice Jr. Mine has way more body and mouthfeel and hop flavor and aroma way more expressive than juice jr canned 10/17/22. Hyped breweries that’s all.

Ferment and serve from kegs with floating dip tube/filter has been my process this year with great success. Typically 10-12 gallons into 5 gal corney split batches. It’s a great way to use different hop types/schedules. I’m a true believer in this process. Here’s my latest NEIPA.

Nice, any issues not leaving much room for krausen? I would worry that the blow off would clog your gas post, but I might give it a shot since I can actually fit two cornies into my fermentation fridge rather than 1 fermenter! Great opportunity for split batch experiments.

Don’t want to hijack this thread, so I’ll be short. Yes krausen could be issue with blow off, depending upon certain yeast types. I normally fill 4 gal into 5g kegs, along with a few drops of Fermcap and that works fine. If more than 4g, I remove the gas poppet and add a blow off tube for the first 3-4 days. There is a lot of information on HBT by searching fermenting in kegs.

After trying several different floating dip tubes, Ball and Keg works best with my process. Buy an inexpensive clip on filter and short gas dip tube to replace bev out long dip tube (More Beer and others) and you’ll be set.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/floating-dip-tube-filter-attachment.html
I do just what you are thinking about with fermentation fridge. It’s way easier with 5g kegs vs large dia or volume fermenters. Give this a try, I think you will like. Good brewing!!!

I haven't had any problems with blowoff. The NEIPA I have fermenting right now with A24 did have krausen coming out, but it doesn't clog the post.

I've been fermenting in kegs for the past year or two but this'll be the first NEIPA where I serve from the fermenting keg. The simplicity is really hard to beat.

Enjoying NEIPA using ferment and serve from same keg. This one’s a winner with Kveik Voss, citra and mosiac. Have a backup keg in ferm fridge from same batch made with Verdant, citra and strata. All’s good in NEIPA land today.

Attachments

• 6974A4F5-D791-40E2-9107-EDC12602DA16.jpeg
    6974A4F5-D791-40E2-9107-EDC12602DA16.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
View attachment 785114
I put my 4 month old hb neipa to the left of juice Jr. Mine has way more body and mouthfeel and hop flavor and aroma way more expressive than juice jr canned 10/17/22. Hyped breweries that’s all.

Just my two cents on Great Notion's NEIPAs...

I started going to their original location in when they opened in 2016. During the first few years I had some of the best NEIPA's I've ever had there. Sometimes a little hit or miss, but for example, Overripe in its prime was a masterpiece. The in the last few years I started to notice more misses, including some absolutely undrinkable NEIPAs. Incredibly bitter, hop burn, basically tasted like they fermented it for a week and served it 3 days later. Now even on their good days, their NEIPAs don't seem to have the same punch that they used to. I'll keep giving them a shot once a year or so, but its a bummer that the quality isn't what it used to be.

This is interesting. And I know its different on our level because we aren't pressured by the public or the need to serve beer to turn a profit and make a living. Buuuut patience is a brewers best friend, from day one, dont rush it. And I feel like if you have turned your passion into a career, sometimes sticking to the basics is what helps you succeed. I hope to someday be in that position and I hope I am capable of serving my best beer, not a rushed version of mediocrity.

Served my comparison batch of British Ale V vs Helio Gazer IPAs last weekend. Both were really good. BAV was what I expected really and HG had good dose of that specific thioly character. I'd say a lot of people liked the HG one better. It tastes like it has a huge dose of Nelson hops in it or something. I didn't add any hops to the mash or do anything fancy, just split the wort and treated everything the same. I think it might be cool to try the Cosmic Punch but with a small mash hop to drop down the intensity a bit to give a nice complexity.

I personally love HG. I just kegged a NE pale ale with it that had 0.75 oz/gal dry hop that I honest perceived as more fruit forward than some of my past DIPAs with 2+ oz/gal. Anecdotal, yes, but the science on thresholds also doesn’t lie. It took 3 batches to get this yeast to a point that I like, and I’m optimistic it’s just the start.

I personally love HG. I just kegged a NE pale ale with it that had 0.75 oz/gal dry hop that I honest perceived as more fruit forward than some of my past DIPAs with 2+ oz/gal. Anecdotal, yes, but the science on thresholds also doesn’t lie. It took 3 batches to get this yeast to a point that I like, and I’m optimistic it’s just the start.
Do you have a recipe for the pale ale?

Turns out we can finally get Omegas GMO strains in Canada. Is cosmic punch as awesome as it sounds?

"We have some exciting news for Canadian brewers!

We're happy to announce that we can now ship Cosmic Punch (OYL-402), Sundew (OYL-401), and Bananza (OYL-400) to Canada. Available now for probrewers and at your favorite homebrew retailer in the coming weeks."

My one experiment with HG did not turn out well. Looking back I may have fermented hotter than I wanted. Anyone know if that would make it more pungent/sulphery? I harvested the yeast. If I did ferment to hot would that effect the yeast so any repitch would also be bad? I want to try HG again but with some whirlpool and dry hop to tone it down a bit…

How is the 2022 Galaxy from YVH? I was thinking of getting some for a citra-galaxy ipa. i still have a bad taste in my mouth from the 2019 i got that i hated!

How is the 2022 Galaxy from YVH? I was thinking of getting some for a citra-galaxy ipa. i still have a bad taste in my mouth from the 2019 i got that i hated!
I liked their 2019 Galaxy but their 2020 was utter garbage. Gave up on Galaxy after that. Would love to brew the original Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy recipe from this thread but not confident I can get good Galaxy anymore.

I liked their 2019 Galaxy but their 2020 was utter garbage. Gave up on Galaxy after that. Would love to brew the original Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy recipe from this thread but not confident I can get good Galaxy anymore.
On the bright side I feel like all the Nelson I've gotten lately has been fantastic

Yes, totally agree with that. Have some 21 left, as soon as that's gone I'll be putting an order in for 22 batch.
The 2020 lot was the best for me. I still have 6 oz left. Hoping to use it soon but I don’t know if I want to brew an all nelson west coast or Citra, Nelson, Galaxy NEIPA next. Decisions decision

The 2020 lot was the best for me. I still have 6 oz left. Hoping to use it soon but I don’t know if I want to brew an all nelson west coast or Citra, Nelson, Galaxy NEIPA next. Decisions decision
Nelson West coast! Would you save the Nelson for a dry hop?

Do you have a recipe for the pale ale?

Dayman NE Pale Ale
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.010
ABV: 5.8%
8 gallon finished batch

Grain Bill
9 lbs Pale 2-row (58%)
3 lbs Flaked Oats (19.5%)
2.5 lbs White Wheat (16%)
1 lb Carafoam (6.5%)

Water
Carbon-filtered tap water
Ca 73
Mg 29
Na 55
Cl 190
SO4 106
Mash pH = 5.2
Knock out pH = 5.0

Mash Hops
4 oz Cascade

Boil Hops
0.5 oz CTZ 10 min
0.5 oz Cascade 10 min
0.5 oz CTZ 5 min
0.5 oz Cascade 5 min

Whirlpool
2 oz Mosaic @ 160F 30 min
2 oz CTZ @160F 30 min

Yeast
OYL-405, 233 billion cells (I have a microscope).

Dry Hops
4 oz Azacca LUPOMAX
2 oz Mosaic

Hot-side
Step mash, 148F for 30 min, 160F for 30 min. Whirlfloc at 5 min. 60 minute boil.

Cold-side
Pitched 66F and held for 24 hrs. I let it free-rise to 70F to just about FG, then raised it 72F for the three days until it passed VDK test. Soft crash to 50F for 48hrs. Drop yeast. Raise temp back to 60F and added CO2 purged dry hops for 72 hrs. Rouse dry hops with 15 psi from the dump port for ~15 minutes once a day. Cold crash for two days and keg.

Evaluation

I’m really happy with how this one turned out. Getting some dankness from Azacca that I didn’t detect when I opened the bag prior dry hopping. Actually happy its there as it off-sets the ridiculous saturated fruit flavor that comes from the yeast. Still has plenty of body despite the low finish. Obligatory pic.

Attachments

• 04A356B9-8A8E-4E4B-A64A-D8EEC90033E5.JPG
    04A356B9-8A8E-4E4B-A64A-D8EEC90033E5.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nelson West coast! Would you save the Nelson for a dry hop?
It’s going to be a modern west coast. 95% Pilsner 5% carafoam. I’ll bitter til about 30ibus with Columbus and then whirlpool and dryhop with Nelson. I was very fortunate and secured some handselected Nelson from Freestyle farms, so I want to showcase it

Hi all,

I've read all (now) 426 pages of this thread over the past few months and am about to embark on brewing my first all grain NEIPA (did a no-boil extract with no hot side hops which turned out great!)

Would appreciate any thoughts on the below. It's based around Verdant's 'Even Sharks Need Water' clone recipe (Verdant – Even Sharks Need Water – NEIPA - The Malt Miller)

I am using the same grain bill but using slightly different hops just because.

I have only recently returned to brewing after a few year hiatus and have not dialled in my processes or new equipment yet. Volumes have been all over the place with the two all grain beers I've brewed so far.

I am doing BIAB with about 2/3 of the full volume, then using the remainder to mash out at ~75C / 167F

Even Sharks Need Water(ish)

[Brewfather tells me I will end up around 1055 which is not in line with the recipe but works for me. This is based on 75% efficiency but as above I have no idea whether this is accurate or not]
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.4%
~5 gallon finished batch

Grain Bill
3.3kg / 7.3 lbs Crisp Extra Pale Malt (60%)
0.8kg / 1.8 lbs Crisp Golden Promise (14.6%)
0.45kg / 1 lb Weyermans Carapils (8.2%)
0.45kg / 1 lb Flaked Oats (8.2%)
0.25kg / 0.55 lbs Rolled Wheat (4.1%)
0.25kg / 0.55 lbs Wheat Malt (4.1%)

Water
[Calculated using Bru'n Water]
RO water
Ca 112
Mg 24
Na 36
Cl 215
SO4 87
Mash pH = 5.2

Mash Hops
None

Boil Hops
None
[Should I be looking at maybe bringing some hops to flameout to get some more bitterness? Brewfather IBUs are calculated at ~20 with the whirlpool additions at 80C /176F]

Whirlpool
50g / ~2 oz Mosaic @ 80C / 176F 30 min
50g / ~2 oz Citra @80C / 176F 30 min

Yeast
1318 London Ale III (will make a starter)

Dry Hops
50g / ~2 oz Mosaic LUPOMAX
50g / ~2 oz Citra LUPOMAX
100g / ~4 oz BRU-1

Hot-side
No boil, whirlpool only

Cold-side
[Using the fermentation schedule in the recipe]
Plan to pitch at 18C / 64F, let it rise to 19C / 66F then hold for a few days. D rest at 22C / 72F for a few days more (possibly do a VDK test or just leave it for a while)

QUESTIONS
- Any comments regarding the no boil? I have made a no-boil APA which turned out great, anyone anticipate issues?
- Dry hopping - not sure how to add the dry hops. Planning to soft crash to 10C / 50F when I'm at FG to help the yeast to flocculate but I don't have any way of removing the yeast. I will be using a modified fermonster - should I put some gas into it, open the lid and drop in the dry hops? Or closed transfer from the fermonster to a purged keg? If the latter, should the dry hops be in the keg already, or can I get away with putting gas into it, dropping through the lid and purging? I don't really want to have to transfer twice. I am planning to purge at least one keg with CO2 from fermentation.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I've read all (now) 426 pages of this thread over the past few months and am about to embark on brewing my first all grain NEIPA (did a no-boil extract with no hot side hops which turned out great!)

Would appreciate any thoughts on the below. It's based around Verdant's 'Even Sharks Need Water' clone recipe (Verdant – Even Sharks Need Water – NEIPA - The Malt Miller)

I have only recently returned to brewing after a few year hiatus and have not dialled in my processes or new equipment yet. Volumes have been all over the place with the two all grain beers I've brewed so far.

I am doing BIAB with about 2/3 of the full volume, then using the remainder to mash out at ~75C / 167F

[Brewfather tells me I will end up around 1055 which is not in line with the recipe but works for me. This is based on 75% efficiency but as above I have no idea whether this is accurate or not]
~5 gallon finished batch

Grain Bill

Water
RO water
Ca 112
Mg 24
Na 36
Cl 215
SO4 87
Mash pH = 5.2

Mash Hops
None

Boil Hops
None
[Should I be looking at maybe bringing some hops to flameout to get some more bitterness? Brewfather IBUs are calculated at ~20 with the whirlpool additions at 80C /176F]

Whirlpool

Yeast

Dry Hops
100g / ~4 oz BRU-1

Hot-side
No boil, whirlpool only

Cold-side
Plan to pitch at 18C / 64F, let it rise to 19C / 66F then hold for a few days. D rest at 22C / 72F for a few days more (possibly do a VDK test or just leave it for a while)

QUESTIONS
- Any comments regarding the no boil? I have made a no-boil APA which turned out great, anyone anticipate issues?
- Dry hopping - not sure how to add the dry hops. Planning to soft crash to 10C / 50F when I'm at FG to help the yeast to flocculate but I don't have any way of removing the yeast. I will be using a modified fermonster - should I put some gas into it, open the lid and drop in the dry hops? Or closed transfer from the fermonster to a purged keg? If the latter, should the dry hops be in the keg already, or can I get away with putting gas into it, dropping through the lid and purging? I don't really want to have to transfer twice. I am planning to purge at least one keg with CO2 from fermentation.

Thanks!

All 420+ pages?! You mad lad! I started at 300 something, read back 20ish pages and called it a day haha.

The recipe looks good, although I'd omit one of the wheats and the carapils. Don't know how much impact they'll have overall, they're just complicating the recipe.

@Dgallo does some no-boil beers, maybe he can comment to that.

Your dry hop procedure sound good with Fermonster, don't worry about leaving the yeast in there, they can't do much at 50F. Just leave them at that temp for 24-48h before adding the hops. And yes, I run 3-4 PSI for 30 seconds, open the lid (still running) and throw in the hops. Turn CO2 off once sealed.

Hi all,

~5 gallon finished batch

Grain Bill

Water
RO water
Ca 112
Mg 24
Na 36
Cl 215
SO4 87
Mash pH = 5.2

Mash Hops
None

Boil Hops
None

Whirlpool

Yeast

Dry Hops
100g / ~4 oz BRU-1

Hot-side
No boil, whirlpool only

Cold-side

QUESTIONS

Thanks!
Minor point: Ca is on the border for me, I’d try getting it below 100ppm. Otherwise, agreed with everything said by @secretlevel. Should be tasty!

All 420+ pages?! You mad lad! I started at 300 something, read back 20ish pages and called it a day haha.

The recipe looks good, although I'd omit one of the wheats and the carapils. Don't know how much impact they'll have overall, they're just complicating the recipe.

@Dgallo does some no-boil beers, maybe he can comment to that.

Your dry hop procedure sound good with Fermonster, don't worry about leaving the yeast in there, they can't do much at 50F. Just leave them at that temp for 24-48h before adding the hops. And yes, I run 3-4 PSI for 30 seconds, open the lid (still running) and throw in the hops. Turn CO2 off once sealed.
Awesome, thanks so much! The grain bill was from the clone recipe and I've already got everything in hand and crushed, so will probably leave both wheats and the carapils in. Should probably have gone with something simpler for my first all grain NEIPA but it is what it is!

Appreciate your input, cheers 👍🏻

Minor point: Ca is on the border for me, I’d try getting it below 100ppm. Otherwise, agreed with everything said by @secretlevel. Should be tasty!
And thank you, too 😊

Yeah I did try to get the Ca below 100 but was having some issues (very much a beginner when it comes to water chemistry). I'll have another play around with Bru'n Water and see if I can get it down without affecting the other values too much. Cheers.

And thank you, too 😊

Yeah I did try to get the Ca below 100 but was having some issues (very much a beginner when it comes to water chemistry). I'll have another play around with Bru'n Water and see if I can get it down without affecting the other values too much. Cheers.
Canning salt is your friend 🍻

Hi guys,

@Northern_Brewer mentioned a presentation about yeast esters and how they develop differently when under or over-pitching being posted in this thread.

Does anyone here recall which presentation that was?
Thanks alot!

It’s going to be a modern west coast. 95% Pilsner 5% carafoam. I’ll bitter til about 30ibus with Columbus and then whirlpool and dryhop with Nelson. I was very fortunate and secured some handselected Nelson from Freestyle farms, so I want to showcase it
What kind of yeast? Dry hop rate? And how do you get it to clear up?

@Dgallo I saw a certain honorable mention for a pale ale in a local competition I judged in over the weekend. Unfortunately I was at a different table, wish I could have tried it!

Back