New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ascorbic acid alone is widely used in Denmark. I follow a national homebrew forum where is it widely adapted in neipas. I asked for experiences with the oxydation problem. One had experienced it once. So it might be a real (but still rare) problem.

Just cause it’s widely used doesn’t mean it’s correct... kinda hard to argue with science..

As long as your beer isn't packed with free metal ions you won't have oxidised ascorbate causing free radical reactions.

As long as your beer isn't packed with free metal ions you won't have oxidised ascorbate causing free radical reactions.

But it is packed with free metal ions, especially if you’re using piles of flaked adjuncts like people seem to do in these beers. Which is why it needs to be paired with something like Brewtan.

But it is packed with free metal ions, especially if you’re using piles of flaked adjuncts like people seem to do in these beers. Which is why it needs to be paired with something like Brewtan.
I doubt that most beer, post cold crash, is packed with free metal ions. Could be wrong though, I've never read anything on the subject.

:off:

I really dug this latest episode of CB&B podcast. While hop substitutes/extracts market is slowly growing, it's surprising how stuck in their ways many commercial breweries are with using pellets. Shipping aside as I only ship meager amounts, my primary concern is how much beer pellets absorb. We easily lose 0.5+ gallons to hops, so things like Incognito, Lupomax, Cryo, and Spectrum really intrigue me. Has anyone had experience with Incognito or Spectrum? I know YVH only sells 1kg+ jars of these, so kind of hard for me to justify the purchase.

Having tried Lupomax though, I don't know if I did something wrong, but my WC IPA just didn't come out right after dry hopping with 2oz Idaho 7 cryo and 2oz Mosaic Lupomax at around 50F. The beer came out insanely dank with not that great of hop character...

:off:

I really dug this latest episode of CB&B podcast. While hop substitutes/extracts market is slowly growing, it's surprising how stuck in their ways many commercial breweries are with using pellets. Shipping aside as I only ship meager amounts, my primary concern is how much beer pellets absorb. We easily lose 0.5+ gallons to hops, so things like Incognito, Lupomax, Cryo, and Spectrum really intrigue me. Has anyone had experience with Incognito or Spectrum? I know YVH only sells 1kg+ jars of these, so kind of hard for me to justify the purchase.

Having tried Lupomax though, I don't know if I did something wrong, but my WC IPA just didn't come out right after dry hopping with 2oz Idaho 7 cryo and 2oz Mosaic Lupomax at around 50F. The beer came out insanely dank with not that great of hop character...
I used Mosaic Incognito for the second time last weekend. I can buy it in 15ml jars. First time I used it I split half at the last 10 minutes of the boil and the rest in the whirlpool. This beer came out incredibly bitter so I'm putting that down to using it in the boil which I shouldn't have.

At the weekend I used it just in the whirlpool. Transfer the the fermenter was so easy and very little loss. Couldn't actually fit all the wort into my fermenter. Will be interested to see how this works out in the finished beer. It's a fruited sour ipa with cherry and raspberry so probably wont get the full effects of it.

Not sure there’s anything out there that will fully replace T-90 pellets. Haven’t used Incognito but have asked quite a few folks who’ve used it a lot and they do like it combined with T-90 in the WP but no one swears by it.

I believe the dosing for spectrum sounds like it requires you have deaerated water as it needs to be mixed. I guess you could use wort as well?

I’ve used Mosaic and Citra terpenes from Mainiacal. They’re interesting but insanely perfume like. I used them in two beers in conjunction with Leaf, T-90, Cryo, American Noble, and Lupomax.

The New Image beers I’ve had with Terpenes were interesting but all had that distinct perfumey terpene quality.

Ascorbic acid alone is widely used in Denmark. I follow a national homebrew forum where is it widely adapted in neipas. I asked for experiences with the oxydation problem. One had experienced it once. So it might be a real (but still rare) problem.
Not taking any jabs at Denmark, but I’m more prone to take NEIPA advice from brewers from NY to ME. Similarly to say sushi, I’d take a chef from Tokyo with more efficacy than one from the US

Can anyone share their grain bill. I've been looking through the thread but there's just so much info lol.

Can anyone share their grain bill. I've been looking through the thread but there's just so much info lol.
Mine have ranged in general between the following: ~60-75% base malt (2row, golden promise, or 50/50 mix), ~25-35% mixture between wheat/oats, and ~3-5% honey malt/carahell/carafoam. There are many who go higher with the wheat/oats as well. Right now Ive been going with ~66% 2row, 17% spelt, 12% malted oats, and 5% carafoam. Been working well for me with this one. Very nice foam structure and retention and its not heavy like some with 40-50% oats can be. Its pretty light/fluffy/pillow soft on the palate but a nice medium to medium-full body. Not sure I miss using honey malt like I used to use a good bit at 3%. Cheers!

Last edited:
50/50 Blend of 2Row and German Pils
10% Carafoam or Malted Wheat
2% Carahell, Caravienna, Honey, or Fawcett Caramalt
2% Acidulated

.5% CaraAroma if you want it a bit more orange

6 gal batch- For me my favorite combo is 60/40 Maris Otter and Pilsner, and 1pound each of flaked oats & flaked wheat

Not taking any jabs at Denmark, but I’m more prone to take NEIPA advice from brewers from NY to ME. Similarly to say sushi, I’d take a chef from Tokyo with more efficacy than one from the US
Genus brewing mentioned it on a podcast a few weeks ago for helping oxidation issues with neipas. Believe they suggested like 3 grams or so in a 5 gallon batch probably why this is coming up recently.

I just picked up a fermzilla all rounder and cant wait to brew a batch of NEIPA to pressure ferment. More importantly, to be able to do oxygen free transfers and see how much of a difference there will be.

50/50 Blend of 2Row and German Pils
10% Carafoam or Malted Wheat
2% Carahell, Caravienna, Honey, or Fawcett Caramalt
2% Acidulated

.5% CaraAroma if you want it a bit more orange

What do you think pilsner malt adds here? I've seen a few breweries use it in their IPA malt bills.

I just picked up a fermzilla all rounder and cant wait to brew a batch of NEIPA to pressure ferment. More importantly, to be able to do oxygen free transfers and see how much of a difference there will be.

I made very good NEIPA with the all rounder. You can shake it easily and can see the dry hop working out/settle. I would suggest a good cold crash since you don't have any dump valve. Also, the floating dip tube is really nice to have "clean" beer.

It's also really good for pressure fermented lager! 6-7 days of fermentation and 1-2 weeks of cold condition in the keg! You can go faster than that but I found the yeast flavor too powerfull within 1-2 weeks.

I'm finally back to brewing after a long hiatus and hoping you can give me some advice about NZ hops. I have some galaxy hops that I'll be using and wanted to pair them with one or two NZ hops. I considered Nelson Sauvin, Motueka, Moutere, wai-iti, Kohatu (because I think I can get most of those)

Id prefer to stick to just one or two that play nice with galaxy.

Any recommendations?

What do you think pilsner malt adds here? I've seen a few breweries use it in their IPA malt bills.

A little more malt complexity, a little less FAN and maybe a bit more control of fermentability but I really don’t know. NA 2row is has way more DP and FAN than you really need.

A little more malt complexity

Heh - from a British perspective, I'd use pilsner to reduce malt complexity, when I want to dilute the maltiness of the British pale malts that are my default. I really don't care for much more than 20-30% pilsner in ales because of the hit to maltiness.

I can understand that the cost/benefit may look different when you're importing British malts though.

This is my Citra/Nelson DIPA at 4 weeks in the keg now and is exactly how I want it. Grain bill on this one was @Dgallo 20% Spelt and his exact water profile. Hands down the best mouth feel I've got. I absolutely love what spelt brings to the table, it's so soft. Might try reducing the spelt and add in around 8% malted oat next time to see how that goes. My only issue with this is that I only got down to 1.023. I did a step mash and don't think it went too good as London Fog always finishes where I want it. Was aiming for 1.015. It's a touch on the sweet side. Will just go back to a single infusion again from now on.

Attachments

• 20210822_190923.jpg
    20210822_190923.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
This is my Citra/Nelson DIPA at 4 weeks in the keg now and is exactly how I want it. Grain bill on this one was @Dgallo 20% Spelt and his exact water profile. Hands down the best mouth feel I've got. I absolutely love what spelt brings to the table, it's so soft. Might try reducing the spelt and add in around 8% malted oat next time to see how that goes. My only issue with this is that I only got down to 1.023. I did a step mash and don't think it went too good as London Fog always finishes where I want it. Was aiming for 1.015. It's a touch on the sweet side. Will just go back to a single infusion again from now on.
Ive never used London fog before. What attenuation did this equate to? 1.023 definitely seems high for me. I had one NEIPA finish at 1.020 and that was too sweet for me. I definitely like these finishing in the 1.012-1.016 range but depending on other factors as well. FWIW, Ive gone through a few NEIPAs with both spelt and malted oats and its been working great. Spelt definitely has a softer/lighter aspect to it that white wheat doesn't IMO. What was your step mash schedule? I step mash and the worts are generally pretty fermentable overall.

Ive never used London fog before. What attenuation did this equate to? 1.023 definitely seems high for me. I had one NEIPA finish at 1.020 and that was too sweet for me. I definitely like these finishing in the 1.012-1.016 range but depending on other factors as well. FWIW, Ive gone through a few NEIPAs with both spelt and malted oats and its been working great. Spelt definitely has a softer/lighter aspect to it that white wheat doesn't IMO. What was your step mash schedule? I step mash and the worts are generally pretty fermentable overall.
I'm doing a split batch this Friday. London Fog and Coastal Haze. 65% 2 Row, 19.5% white wheat, 13% oat malt, 2.5% acidulated malt. Shooting for an OG of 1.068-1.070. That would be 80% efficiency. I definitely liked Spelt malt, so maybe I'll swap that in for the white wheat next time. I'll keep you posted on the yeast choices. Never used either of these before.

Heh - from a British perspective, I'd use pilsner to reduce malt complexity, when I want to dilute the maltiness of the British pale malts that are my default. I really don't care for much more than 20-30% pilsner in ales because of the hit to maltiness.

I can understand that the cost/benefit may look different when you're importing British malts though.

Good Pilsner malt, mashed the right way will add much more complexity than just standard American 2 row. I find most British malt flavors to clash with modern hop varieties personally.

I have 500g of Spelt malt so not really enough to add at those levels but I have done an Alien Church clone a few times with 500g Oat malt.
Might swap it out with the Spelt Malt next time and see if I notice a difference.

I didn't get any responses so I just purchased Nelson Sauvin and Moutere. Does anyone have any experience using either or both of these along with Galaxy? Possible recommendations on quantities that I should be using?

I brewed the Galaxy/Mosaic/Citra NEIPA and followed the lead of more experienced brewers in this thread and it turned out great. Hoping someone might be able to provide a little guidance with some combination of Galaxy, Nelson Sauvin, and Moutere now.

If I don't get any responses, I'll just do my best based on the information I can find and be sure to report back. Thanks!

Those hops are so good, the beer is gonna be great no matter how you use them. 4-6oz hot side and 6-10oz cold side after dropping yeast - any way you do it can be great. Equal parts would be great, less on the galaxy hot side would be my thinking.

Attenuation was pretty terrible on this one, 1.080-1.023 that's 69.6%. London Fog always finishes around 1.019/20 when I mash at 66C/151C. This was a new pack I used so maybe it was that but this was my first time doing a step mash on a NEIPA. I did 50 minutes at 64C/147F, 40 minutes at 72C/161.6F and a mash out at 75C/167. Think the second step was too high but don't really know.

What percentage Spelt and Malted oats have you settled on? and do you think both work better than spelt on it's own?

View attachment 739681Finally brewing the Spelt NEDIPA inspired by @Dgallo this will be closer to 8.5% and I’ll be using Cascade (mash hop), CTZ, Citra, Mosaic, and Idaho 7 in the boil. Then CTZ, Citra, Mosaic, Idaho 7, and Galaxy in the whirlpool. Finally, Dry hopped at 55*F with Galaxy, Idaho 7, Citra, Mosaic LUPOMAX, and YCH CryoPop. Fermented with Imperial A28. My last NEIPA was a diacetyl bomb so hopefully a longer temp controlled fermentation and cold dry hop will get rid of that. Enjoying a Crooked Crab Brewing Co. Infinity Crab NEDIPA w/ Enigma, Mosaic Cryo, and Nelson. Absolutely delicious!
I have been taking my time on this one to hopefully avoid the diacetyl bomb I brewed last time. 19 days in the fv so far, currently cold crashing and will have it kegged by Saturday to finish carbing and condition a bit longer. But man, if this isn’t the best NEIPA I have brewed! The aroma is straight orange and pineapple with a trace of oniony dankness. And the flavor is even more intense! Like a pineapple creamsicle! Hopefully she’ll hold up once kegged. Thanks for all of the advice from this thread!

Attachments

• 735D9903-5FF2-4D41-8718-4D698E140FCA.jpeg
    735D9903-5FF2-4D41-8718-4D698E140FCA.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
  • 8D3F1784-55DA-4C84-AAE8-2FCA11F2EFFC.jpeg
    8D3F1784-55DA-4C84-AAE8-2FCA11F2EFFC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
Attenuation was pretty terrible on this one, 1.080-1.023 that's 69.6%. London Fog always finishes around 1.019/20 when I mash at 66C/151C. This was a new pack I used so maybe it was that but this was my first time doing a step mash on a NEIPA. I did 50 minutes at 64C/147F, 40 minutes at 72C/161.6F and a mash out at 75C/167. Think the second step was too high but don't really know.

What percentage Spelt and Malted oats have you settled on? and do you think both work better than spelt on it's own?
For now, Ive been going with ~66% 2row, ~17.5% spelt, ~11.5% malted oats, and 5% carafoam. I really like this combo with favoring spelt over oats. Its still light and fluffy for sure. IMO large quantities of white wheat and/or flaked oats are fine but definitely end up a little "heavier" and "chewier" in the end. Ive used these percentages for the last three NEIPAs with varying yeasts and OGs ranging from 1.070-1.075, regardless of the FG (typically 1.012-1.016) the grain bill is great.

Spelt on its own which Ive done is very nice but I do like the contribution of malted oats (which also helps aid the spelt with the shaving cream type foam) overall. I got away from malted oats for a little while because in larger quantities I was noticing more hop burn (not much though but present) regardless of DHing cool. So at about 10-11% malted oats, I think it works very well.

Cheers!

For now, Ive been going with ~66% 2row, ~17.5% spelt, ~11.5% malted oats, and 5% carafoam. I really like this combo with favoring spelt over oats. Its still light and fluffy for sure. IMO large quantities of white wheat and/or flaked oats are fine but definitely end up a little "heavier" and "chewier" in the end. Ive used these percentages for the last three NEIPAs with varying yeasts and OGs ranging from 1.070-1.075, regardless of the FG (typically 1.012-1.016) the grain bill is great.

Spelt on its own which Ive done is very nice but I do like the contribution of malted oats (which also helps aid the spelt with the shaving cream type foam) overall. I got away from malted oats for a little while because in larger quantities I was noticing more hop burn (not much though but present) regardless of DHing cool. So at about 10-11% malted oats, I think it works very well.

Cheers!
Those amounts are pretty much what I was thinking myself. Will give them a shot next time. My club has a German competition coming up so will be doing a Hefe and Weizenbock for it so probably wont get to try it out for a good few weeks. Still have 7oz of Nectaron that I'm dying to try out.

Those hops are so good, the beer is gonna be great no matter how you use them. 4-6oz hot side and 6-10oz cold side after dropping yeast - any way you do it can be great. Equal parts would be great, less on the galaxy hot side would be my thinking.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll let you know what I settle on.

How does this sound for my hop schedule?

14 oz total (5 oz in whirlpool, 9 oz dry hops)

Both whirlpool and dry hop addition in a 3:2:1 ratio of Nelson Sauvin:Moutere:Galaxy

So that would be something like this.
Whirlpool:
2.5 oz Nelson Sauvin
1.7 oz Moutere
0.8 oz Galaxy

Dry hops:
4.5 oz Nelson Sauvin
3.0 oz Moutere
1.5 oz Galaxy

I'm just kind of guessing here hoping that the NZ hops will shine through. I planned on using less Moutere because it is a high alpha acid hop.i could be completely wrong though.

Thoughts and critiques much appreciated.

Did you or anyone here read this piece? Curious to know if they found big differences or not.
I just read the abstract and was reminded that I need to aim just a touch high on my final gravity to accommodate for a little hop creep. Something I have experienced a bit of. Thanks for the reminder!

I just read the abstract and was reminded that I need to aim just a touch high on my final gravity to accommodate for a little hop creep. Something I have experienced a bit of. Thanks for the reminder!
I got a whole 6 points off due to creep.

Trying to nail down a last minute brew session tomorrow...hobbled together something based on recipes I've scoured here for last few months. Want something fruity with a danky side too. Going to try Cosmic Punch with the following hop bill. Would love some feedback!

3oz Cascade @ Mash ~ 11 ibu
.25oz CTZ @ 60 ~ 10 ibu
.5oz CTZ @ 10 ~ 9 ibu

2oz Idaho 7 WP @ 170
2oz CTZ WP @ 170

5oz Strata @ DH
3oz Citra Lupomax @ DH

Back