New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up a pouch at ABS last week too, but haven't bee able to brew yet. How did you choose your mash hop varietals and amounts? I've seen the info provided by Omega & Janish. Got any additional info?

For now I just based the cascade entirely on people in this thread, Omega, etc. and then columbus since it's just good hot side anyway. I would love to be able to find more info on different hops and their amount of bound thiols that might benefit from this yeast

I took first in the NEIPA category at Malt Madness last year with a beer I brewed based on the New England Style TIPA recipe you posted here...next year I will have to make a point to enter something so we can go head to head!
That’s awesome. Yeah I plan on entering again next year. I thought it was a really well run competition. I had to reach out to the organizer twice for tech issues and my club mate had to because of a mix up in delivery, and they took care of it all quickly and were so pleasant about it.

Hope to brew with Cosmic Punch this week. What temperature has everyone been fermenting at?

I'm brewing a Dgallo inspired recipe this weekend and would love to get some feedback

5.5 gal
OG 1.077
Calculated IBU 31.3
Color 7 SRM

Water profile:
Calcium 100 ppm
Chloride 145 ppm
Sulfate 42 ppm
everything else 0

12.5lb Maris Otte
3lb Spelt
0.5lb Honey
0.5lb Maltodextin

0.3 oz Magnum at 60min
2oz Cryo Cascade, whirlpool @ 165 for 20 min
2 oz Lupomax Columbus
1 oz Cryo Simcoe

Kettle knockout acid addition to hit pH 5.0

London Ale III

Dryhop after ~7 days in primary, soft crash to 55
2 oz Lupomax Citra
2 oz Lupomax Idaho 7
2 oz Lupomax Mosaic
2 oz T90 Nelson Sauvin

Agitate after 12 hours

Dump from the cone after 24 hours

Keg after 24 hours of additional settling

HBC520 arrived from YCH in time to put it into the mash on today’s beer. According to the survivable chart it’s the hop highest in 3MH. There’s not a whole lot out there in this hop. It’s gotta be Neomexicanus derived as the bag smells a lot like 692 and Sabro.

Rest of the hotside will be

Simcoe @ 30
HBC586 @ 5
I7/586 WP @ 180ish.

A little 7g unitank is going to get cosmic punch. Interested to see how it compares

I'm brewing a Dgallo inspired recipe this weekend and would love to get some feedback

5.5 gal
OG 1.077
Calculated IBU 31.3
Color 7 SRM

Water profile:
Calcium 100 ppm
Chloride 145 ppm
Sulfate 42 ppm
everything else 0

12.5lb Maris Otte
3lb Spelt
0.5lb Honey
0.5lb Maltodextin

0.3 oz Magnum at 60min
2oz Cryo Cascade, whirlpool @ 165 for 20 min
2 oz Lupomax Columbus
1 oz Cryo Simcoe

Kettle knockout acid addition to hit pH 5.0

London Ale III

Dryhop after ~7 days in primary, soft crash to 55
2 oz Lupomax Citra
2 oz Lupomax Idaho 7
2 oz Lupomax Mosaic
2 oz T90 Nelson Sauvin

Agitate after 12 hours

Dump from the cone after 24 hours

Keg after 24 hours of additional settling

So staring at this recipe and I guess my question is more specific

Does anyone have thoughts on the Simcoe in whirlpool and the Nelson in dry hop? They are both intended to be accent hops and not dominant, but do y'all think they'll play nice with the Citra mosaic Idaho 7 combo or just muddy it?

I want some passionfruit and a little piney/citrus balance from the Simcoe and a little berry/grape complexity from the Nelson

I might be better off swapping the Nelson for more Simcoe or dropping both entirely

So staring at this recipe and I guess my question is more specific

Does anyone have thoughts on the Simcoe in whirlpool and the Nelson in dry hop? They are both intended to be accent hops and not dominant, but do y'all think they'll play nice with the Citra mosaic Idaho 7 combo or just muddy it?

I want some passionfruit and a little piney/citrus balance from the Simcoe and a little berry/grape complexity from the Nelson

I might be better off swapping the Nelson for more Simcoe or dropping both entirely
I’ve never used I7 with nelson, but I have with simcoe once early on and liked it. Nelson, citra go together like JFk and Marilyn Monroe and mosaic plays well with both. That said, if you get very orange forward I7 it may just work perfectly for that pairing

I’ve never used I7 with nelson, but I have with simcoe once early on and liked it. Nelson, citra go together like JFk and Marilyn Monroe and mosaic plays well with both. That said, if you get very orange forward I7 it may just work perfectly for that pairing

Thanks! I have some 2020 lupomax I7 on the way and haven't tried it before. Is it orangey?

I have a test batch if Citra mosaic I7 on tap and it's more dank up front with a little orange, mango, and peach. So the I7 t-90 pellets I have are apparently orangey

Thanks! I have some 2020 lupomax I7 on the way and haven't tried it before. Is it orangey?

I have a test batch if Citra mosaic I7 on tap and it's more dank up front with a little orange, mango, and peach. So the I7 t-90 pellets I have are apparently orangey

I saw 1 post in this thread talking about using a good mixture of Lupomax and T-90 to provide "depth" to the hop character. Is that something that's you all would consider good practice and is there a rule of thumb on the ratio? And has anyone found a benefit from dividing the same hop between Lupomax and T-90 (like 1oz Citra T90 and 1.5oz Citra Lupomax in the same dryhop charge)?

I kegged my batch of NEIPA with the Cosmic Punch yeast last night and decided to add an ounce of the Cryo Pop blend in the keg.

It finished at 1.012 which works out to 77% attenuation.

I didn't taste it but the aroma going into the keg was very overripe melon/fruit smoothie, which is not something I've experienced in the past with Nelson heavy beers.

I'll pull a sample in a few days, after it has had some time to carb up, and report back.

I pulled a sample today and am happy with how it turned out. The aroma is really unique, especially given the hops I used. It is very floral/sweet but that doesn't translate to the flavor. I get more of the white wine/gooseberry in the flavor and there isn't any sweetness.

I thought this yeast may have been a bit gimmicky but there is definitely something happening with it that doesn't happen with normal London III. I'm a fan.

8-18 NEIPA.jpg

I had "Above the Clouds" by Equilibrium a few weeks ago which is Citra and Idaho 7 hot side and Citra and Nelson cold side and it was unbelievable. Agreed about Citra and Nelson going together so well and is easily my favorite combo but the I7 just adds something extra to it. Will be trying it out myself in the near future.

Im assuming this is you? Looks great! Im totally jealous.

https://www.instagram.com/offsetbier/?hl=en
Also...east coast yeast is located 5 minutes from my dad’s house and half an hour from my house. Good dudes there....slightly surprised a Utah based brewery is using them but it’s a small world. So cool.

They offer some strains that really no one else does. The Kolsch yeast is hands down the best I’ve used and I’ve tried them all from just about everyone. I really like Old Newark for just about any American style of ale as well as some English beers. We’re actually going to be making all sorts of hoppy beers with the 3 different strains we use so it’s easier for us as a small brewery to keep them going for longer.

Curious what adjustments if any you would make to FV2 as I'll be brewing this in the next couple of weeks. I have all my ingredients ready to go just need to find the time as work is so busy.

Congratulations on the scores of both. I pretty sure transport had an effect on the beers.
I may just go a little heavier on the Citra than I did.
I had "Above the Clouds" by Equilibrium a few weeks ago which is Citra and Idaho 7 hot side and Citra and Nelson cold side and it was unbelievable. Agreed about Citra and Nelson going together so well and is easily my favorite combo but the I7 just adds something extra to it. Will be trying it out myself in the near future.
thanks for the info. I know that eq gets great lots of simcoe and I7. Both are very fruity/orange/orange Sherbet like compared to what I’ve gotten at the Homebrew level. I’ve began talking to Pete (from eq) a little about letting me buy a lb or so of some hops off him, we will see if anything comes from that lol

Last edited:
Planning to brew with Cosmic Punch tomorrow. How does this hop schedule sound?
2oz Cascade in the mash
2oz Citra/2oz Idaho 7 lupomax hopstand
4oz Citra lupomax/4oz Nelson dry hop

What temp you do the hop stand at? Seems like you might be low on IBUs if not going to put anything in the boil. The hop varieties should work well though. I have one fermenting with a different yeast now with I7 LUPOMAX which smelled great going into the hop stand.

I may just go a little heavier on the Citra than I did.

More CItra is always a good thing.

thanks for the info. I know that eq gets great lots of simcoe and I7. Both are very fruity/orange/orange Sherbet like compared to what I’ve gotten at the Homebrew level. I’ve began talking to Pete (from eq) a little about letting me buy a lb or so of some hops off him, we will see if anything comes from that lol

I well believe Equilibrium get great I7, one of the crosses we have to bear as homebrewers. That would be awesome if you could get hops from him. Love their beers so much and delighted they're finally available in Ireland albeit for stupid money. Now if you could get some of their yeast/EQ juice, that would be something.

In my experience 2020 Idaho 7 (especially from Idaho) is maybe one of the best 2020 varieties out there. Simcoe, Strata, and Centennial are also great across the board. Citra and Mosaic on the other hand got screwed due to smoke.

Slightly off topic but doing a fruited sour version of this beer. Did one last year with raspberry and blackberry, used Citra and el dorado. Was really happy how it turned out. So going with Raspberry and Sour Cherry this time and thinking of using Mosaic and strata as the hops. I'm thinking these hops will work well with their berry properties. What would be a good ratio in the dry hop? Thinking 2:1 Mosaic to Strata. Going with just Mosaic in the whirlpool.

In my experience 2020 Idaho 7 (especially from Idaho) is maybe one of the best 2020 varieties out there. Simcoe, Strata, and Centennial are also great across the board. Citra and Mosaic on the other hand got screwed due to smoke.

I have some 2019 Citra and mosaic that has been well stored. I may use that then, I'll smell the new 2020 lupomax though to be sure

Thanks for the info, that's really valuable

Did you notice any flavor differences? What did the smoke do?

I bought a kilo of both 2020 Mosaic and Citra a few weeks ago and plan on using them up over my winter brewing period. Hope the batches I bought are not badly affected :confused:

I bought a kilo of both 2020 Mosaic and Citra a few weeks ago and plan on using them up over my winter brewing period. Hope the batches I bought are not badly affected :confused:
I haven't found it to be bad... just doesn't live up to previous years.

Also Hype Hops seem to have the most variation lot-to-lot, so what you get might be perfectly great.

C591076F-B2C7-4E92-B5CF-E2A0980557A3.jpeg
Finally brewing the Spelt NEDIPA inspired by @Dgallo this will be closer to 8.5% and I’ll be using Cascade (mash hop), CTZ, Citra, Mosaic, and Idaho 7 in the boil. Then CTZ, Citra, Mosaic, Idaho 7, and Galaxy in the whirlpool. Finally, Dry hopped at 55*F with Galaxy, Idaho 7, Citra, Mosaic LUPOMAX, and YCH CryoPop. Fermented with Imperial A28. My last NEIPA was a diacetyl bomb so hopefully a longer temp controlled fermentation and cold dry hop will get rid of that. Enjoying a Crooked Crab Brewing Co. Infinity Crab NEDIPA w/ Enigma, Mosaic Cryo, and Nelson. Absolutely delicious!

Enjoying a Crooked Crab Brewing Co. Infinity Crab NEDIPA w/ Enigma, Mosaic Cryo, and Nelson. Absolutely delicious!
That’s literally the exact same combo I used in the fv1 of my last beer “Max” the canning date

With this beer, I wanted to use some of my favorite hops from HopHeaven, throw in Cosmic Punch and try some boil additions similar to Vitamin Sea's Double Summer.

90% 2-row
10% Golden naked oats

OG: 1.059
FG: 1.010
IBU: ~50 from boil

0.63 oz Citra 10.5% 20 min
0.63 oz Simcoe 15 min
0.84 oz Simcoe 10.6% 10 min

2 oz Citra WP @ 180F
2 oz Simcoe WP @ 180F

DH1: 3.5oz Citra @ 51F
DH2: 3.5oz Simcoe @ 40F

Aroma: Apricot, peach and pine
Flavor: Grassy apricot, creamy peach and light pine flavors, some Tropicana notes. This beer's definitely full-bodied, soft and mellow, but bitterness creates a nice drying character on the back of the tongue. It's not bitter in any way you'd imagine a west coast IPA being. It's barely noticeable, if at all. My buddy couldn't get any bitterness out of this beer.

What's funny is that I see some mango and orange in there if I try, but Citra is not the dominant character here. It's so much fruity Simcoe character, I love it.

Cosmic Punch didn't add any crazy flavors that I wouldn't find in a great Simcoe or Citra lot, but it just brought out the best of the hops. The beer is incredibly juicy, I think it may be one of my best ones yet, despite being a lower ABV brew.

Attachments

• Ephemeral.jpg
    Ephemeral.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 28
Finally brewing the Spelt NEDIPA inspired by @Dgallo this will be closer to 8.5% and I’ll be using Cascade (mash hop), CTZ, Citra, Mosaic, and Idaho 7 in the boil. Then CTZ, Citra, Mosaic, Idaho 7, and Galaxy in the whirlpool. Finally, Dry hopped at 55*F with Galaxy, Idaho 7, Citra, Mosaic LUPOMAX, and YCH CryoPop. Fermented with Imperial A28. My last NEIPA was a diacetyl bomb so hopefully a longer temp controlled fermentation and cold dry hop will get rid of that. Enjoying a Crooked Crab Brewing Co. Infinity Crab NEDIPA w/ Enigma, Mosaic Cryo, and Nelson. Absolutely delicious!
Why mash hop if you're using A28?

With this beer, I wanted to use some of my favorite hops from HopHeaven, throw in Cosmic Punch and try some boil additions similar to Vitamin Sea's Double Summer.

90% 2-row
10% Golden naked oats

OG: 1.059
FG: 1.010
IBU: ~50 from boil

0.63 oz Citra 10.5% 20 min
0.63 oz Simcoe 15 min
0.84 oz Simcoe 10.6% 10 min

2 oz Citra WP @ 180F
2 oz Simcoe WP @ 180F

DH1: 3.5oz Citra @ 51F
DH2: 3.5oz Simcoe @ 40F

Aroma: Apricot, peach and pine
Flavor: Grassy apricot, creamy peach and light pine flavors, some Tropicana notes. This beer's definitely full-bodied, soft and mellow, but bitterness creates a nice drying character on the back of the tongue. It's not bitter in any way you'd imagine a west coast IPA being. It's barely noticeable, if at all. My buddy couldn't get any bitterness out of this beer.

What's funny is that I see some mango and orange in there if I try, but Citra is not the dominant character here. It's so much fruity Simcoe character, I love it.

Cosmic Punch didn't add any crazy flavors that I wouldn't find in a great Simcoe or Citra lot, but it just brought out the best of the hops. The beer is incredibly juicy, I think it may be one of my best ones yet, despite being a lower ABV brew.
Looks great man! While my palate and nose is likely not that sophisticated yet as it’s still in training I have one question: what the hell is a grassy apricot? Lol

I saw 1 post in this thread talking about using a good mixture of Lupomax and T-90 to provide "depth" to the hop character. Is that something that's you all would consider good practice and is there a rule of thumb on the ratio? And has anyone found a benefit from dividing the same hop between Lupomax and T-90 (like 1oz Citra T90 and 1.5oz Citra Lupomax in the same dryhop charge)?

Feel like I'm being a pest but I'm going to bump this question

Has anyone experienced harm from using a 100% lupomax dryhop?

Based on reading through the last hundred-odd pages on this thread, I haven't found anything but one or two off-hand comments on the subject.

Feel like I'm being a pest but I'm going to bump this question

Has anyone experienced harm from using a 100% lupomax dryhop?

Based on reading through the last hundred-odd pages on this thread, I haven't found anything but one or two off-hand comments on the subject.
Not going to be a great help for ya because I simply don't know, but based on a few peeps talking about this on this thread, I too used a blend of LUPOMAX and regular pellets. Not too sure what the exact difference would be with 100% LUPOMAX though. In the end, you've made beer!

Back