New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brew in a 30 gallon kettle and 17.5 gallon in the fermenter, so I start with lots extra wort for this style, usually 23 gallon wort in the kettle. 2 gallon of boil off, a little bit of shrinkage and after a good long whirlpool I leave 3 ish gallons of trub in the kettle. I do transfer some as I approach the last half gallon to get my fermenter volume where I want it and I am fine with that. Using a conical its easy to dump the trub when the time comes.

There is no “pro” in pouring trub into your fermenter... for any beer.

There are debates about whether a small amount of trub is beneficial to any beer from a nutrient perspective but that would be the only reason and there are lots of variables at play.

I’ve done a ton of mostly Pils malt IPAs lately. DMS just hasn’t been an issue. I am careful to add hopstand hops at flameout and start chilling within 5 minutes but one time I did a covered-kettle hop stand for at least 15 minutes and the beer didn’t have DMS that I could detect. I also have been dropping my boiliff rate down to the 6-8% range and haven’t had any negative flavor impact.

Guys newbie question here. My recipe calls for 50/50 MO and Pils malt. SRM around 4.3.

If i boil for 90 mins i run the risk to increase SRM which i do not want as i would like to stay on lighter side.

If i boil for 60 do i run the risk of DMS? ( i use weyerman pils malt).

What boiling time you suggest to avoid DMS and avoid increase in SRM?

Thank you!

I did a triple batch recently with Verdant vs S33 vs US04. After some aging the Verdant tastes amazing and attenuation was very high - crisp and very easy to drink - no sharp edges. The S04 is really good, more body and sweetness but it totally accentuated the oat malt! It has so much oat malt flavor! The S33 is a bust so far. Weird sulfury character. I must have abused it somehow.

are there lower attenuation dry yeasts that are good in this style?

I'm curious how you guys brewing NEIPA's are handling trub? Are you trying to keep it out of your fermenter, or you intentionally throw it in? Especially all those late hop additions... I could imagine pros and cons for each way and wondered if there was a standard of sorts.

I'm assuming it's been brought up at some point, if not it might be an interesting subject because I'd expect it to have some effect.
While I have never intentionally tried to increase trub into the fermenter, Ive gone from "it doesn't matter" to "I want to get as little trub as possible into the fermenter". For context, Im using the tall/narrow 10.5gal foundry where there is really nowhere for any loose hops/hotbreak/coldbreak to go where the kettle outlet doesn't suck it into the fermenter. Whirlpooling may create a trub cone initially but when the wort gets down to near the bottom it collapses onto the dip tube quickly. Early on, I simply pumped all that was needed into the fermenter immediately after chilling and ended up with anywhere from 0.5-0.75gal of trub into the fermenter (measured after it all settled and compacted). The beers were good, no BIG off flavors that my novice palate could detect. But especially with big oat DIPAs with ~50% oats/wheat/etc, this trub was excessive to the point that I wasn't even getting a full keg full at kegging time - super pissed when that happens given all the hard work! So I started letting my kettle settle everything out by simply waiting after chilling before pumping into the fermenter and now I'm under a quart (at most) of trub into the fermenter. By letting everything settle most all of my wort to the fermenter is VERY clean/clear looking. So this has helped tremendously with losses going to the keg. Also as an unanticipated effect, my fermentations are actually more vigorous to the point I need blow offs more often than not, but Ive also noticed that my foam on the finished beer is better/fantastic with solid head retention. So that's where Im at now from what I can see as benefits at minimizing true into the fermenter. Im not afraid of SOME trub, but minimizing it gives me the best results I can perceive thus far.

FYI, Ive always used hops loose in all aspects of my brewing as well and getting less hop vegetal matter from the hot side into the fermenter I believe also helps. So rather than use hop bags/SS cylinders/etc, I simply wait for everything to settle in the kettle prior to transferring. I also ALWAYS have used Whirlfloc as well.

Just my experiences anyways - cheers!

Thanks for the responses. I was kind of evaluating "trub is great (or at least - makes no difference)" vs. "old hops will give vegetable tastes" - the latter which could have a timer started with the carryover of the hops used during the actual boiling.

It makes inherent sense to keep that stuff out as a goal, and over at least a few of my next brews I'll be shooting for it, one of which I'm hoping will be a NEIPA (my first actually, after decades of brewing off and on). As with anything else there are conflicting opinions on, it'll come down to trying it and seeing what changes.

Also as an unanticipated effect, my fermentations are actually more vigorous to the point I need blow offs more often than not

I've been thinking that pitched yeast might end up underneath settled trub and may be stifled a bit.

I've been thinking that pitched yeast might end up underneath settled trub and may be stifled a bit.
I've mostly used A24 dry hop as my yeast of choice and have been using it when I was getting a good bit of trub into the fermenter and since Ive tried to minimize trub. Haven't noticed a difference in attenuation either way and I typically get ~78-82% AA no matter what. SO I don't think this particular yeast blend gets stifled by trub. Its a beast. After fermentation is over and I soft crash, I always can see the banding pattern at the bottom of my fermonster with trub on bottom followed by yeast on top. Then after dry hopping and cold crashing, the dy hops settle on top fo the bright colored yeast.

I did a triple batch recently with Verdant vs S33 vs US04. After some aging the Verdant tastes amazing and attenuation was very high - crisp and very easy to drink - no sharp edges. The S04 is really good, more body and sweetness but it totally accentuated the oat malt! It has so much oat malt flavor! The S33 is a bust so far. Weird sulfury character. I must have abused it somehow.

From what I've read, first generation Verdant is higher in attenuation than future generations.

I recently brewed a Mango NEIPA using 1 pack of re-hydrated Verdant and it turned out fantastic. It may be replacing Imperial A24 as my go-to NEIPA yeast going forward.

Haven't noticed a difference in attenuation either way and I typically get ~78-82% AA no matter what. SO I don't think this particular yeast blend gets stifled by trub.

I meant the trub might make them a bit slow to start. Once they're active I'm sure they are happily cruising around the bulk of the wort doing their yeasty things. In regards to your thought that low trub = more active fermentation.

Trub contains so many compounds that are not great for fermenting or finished beer. You just don’t want it in there for any reason. There are lots of breweries that actually centrifuge their wort before it goes into the fermenter to keep trub out and increase yield.

It can lead to off flavors, fermentation issues, poor head retention, premature staling etc. You want to create the best possible environment for the yeast. They’re the ones who make the beer. If you’re concerned with the nutrients Trub might add just add some zinc to the fermenter (the right amount is important).

I whirlpool and let it settle for about 30min. Most of the hops/trub stays in the kettle. I used to filter the wort with a kitchen strainer when filling up the fermenter but it would clog up with hops and was a mess so I skipped that step and I couldn’t tell the difference honestly. I think the brulosophy guys did an all in trub batch vs minimal trub into the fermenter and the only difference was the beer (might have been a pale) cleared more in the fermenter that had all the kettle trub/hops added. I just did a split batch into 2 fermenters and the one I filled last definitely had more trub. They had different yeast/DH but both turned out tasty and had the same hazy orange color.

Attachments

• 9B14C3E2-1C4B-45A5-9F6E-9F8A92B06A83.jpeg
    9B14C3E2-1C4B-45A5-9F6E-9F8A92B06A83.jpeg
    809.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 85BB649D-6587-42CA-8F4F-96E9B1FBCC97.jpeg
    85BB649D-6587-42CA-8F4F-96E9B1FBCC97.jpeg
    829.9 KB · Views: 17
I whirlpool and let it settle for about 30min. Most of the hops/trub stays in the kettle. I used to filter the wort with a kitchen strainer when filling up the fermenter but it would clog up with hops and was a mess so I skipped that step and I couldn’t tell the difference honestly. I think the brulosophy guys did an all in trub batch vs minimal trub into the fermenter and the only difference was the beer (might have been a pale) cleared more in the fermenter that had all the kettle trub/hops added. I just did a split batch into 2 fermenters and the one I filled last definitely had more trub. They had different yeast/DH but both turned out tasty and had the same hazy orange color.
I will add that If a beer clears more, that body will certainly change. Also adding trub in the fermenter will certainly have an negative impact on head retention and will increase the risk of hopburn. Will a beer still be good if you transfer trub yes, but I stand firm on this one that you can’t produce the best beer possible if you transfer excess trub in the fv.

Any thoughts on using whirlfloc, But then still transferring all of the trub into the fermenter? I usually don’t use it, but I have used it a number of times and transferred everything into the FV. It’s interesting because you can see all of the proteins coagulate and drop to the bottom with a significantly different texture than if you didn’t use it. But they’re still in the fermenter.

Obviously, the idea is to use it and leave all of those coagulated proteins behind, but when I’ve used it and transferred everything into the fermenter, They just stick to the bottom kind of like glue. So I wonder if you get a similar effect by doing this.

To clarify, if you use whirlfloc, And clump all of that trub up nicely, but then still transfer it all into the fermenter, are you getting a similar effect to if you made a concerted effort to specifically leave the trub behind?

I use whirfloc and transfer some trub as I mentioned, the last half gallon in a 17.5 gallon batch has some trub in it but not nearly any significant amount, and certainly never transfer all, I leave 3 gallon of trub in the bottom of my kettle.

I use whirfloc, and my numbers are similar to @bailey mountain brewer. ON my 5gallong finished batches, Im typically leaving 1gallon behind from the kettle into the fermenter. My brewhouse efficiency is low because of it (65%) but I think its worth it for the finished beer to minimize trub. Beers still turn out hazy too.

I try to leave as much as possible but some definitely gets in. I must wait a while to let things settle more before transferring. I do hang a hop spider on my fermenter and run the hose through it. This filters out a lot too.

I do hang a hop spider on my fermenter and run the hose through it. This filters out a lot too.

I'm going to try that as well on my next brew, let the hops float freely throughout the brew but then funny enough use the spider afterwards to clear them out. If it doesn't work I'll have to suck it up and learn to wait for it to fall out in the kettle first. I'm just not normally very patient.

OK - thanks everyone, sorry to stray off the topic, but it seemed like it was pretty related and might be a good spot. Especially since it'll help me make my own NEIPA here in the near future.

I appreciate it!

Stupid question but as I have a conical fermenter, is it ok to dump trub from the bottom valve after 24/36h when fermentation is kicking on? I always wonder after 6 years of brewing if it will suck some needed yeast with the trub.

Stupid question but as I have a conical fermenter, is it ok to dump trub from the bottom valve after 24/36h when fermentation is kicking on? I always wonder after 6 years of brewing if it will suck some needed yeast with the trub.
How’s your sterilization and speed of cooling? You could always rack it from the kettle to your fv. Then crash it to 50 let the trub settle and dump it. Then pitch your yeast and let it warm back up to temp, preferably at a healthy cell count and while active.

Ssbrewtech temp controller with water at 5-6c. I can go easily to 50f within 20-30 min. But is it worth waiting 24h of 50f crashing just to dump trub before pitching yeast???

Ssbrewtech temp controller with water at 5-6c. I can go easily to 50f within 20-30 min. But is it worth waiting 24h of 50f crashing just to dump trub before pitching yeast???

No.. wait for 30 minutes or so and dump what’s already settled then pitch your yeast. My SOP (for various reason that aren’t ideal) is to transfer to the FV around 72 then hook it up to the glycol and set to 64/66 for ales. When it stabilizes at that temp I’ll dump what’s ever at the bottom of the cone (I fill from the bottom), the pitch yeast and aerate.

I’ve tried dumping after 12 or 24 hours and never really got anything significant honestly. Most of what I end up transferring must end up in the krausen and hence stuck to the fermenter walls.

If you can cool your wort that quickly to 50, then you should be having no issue leaving trub behind. If you are still transferring too much trub for your liking, The only thing I would suggest us to plan for another 0.25-0.5 gallons for loss in you recipe and you should be golden

Lallemand New England is supposedly LA3. It appears the cell count per packet is abysmal though. 1/5 the amount thats in a regular packet.

How many of you use whirlfloc for these beers?
I use whirlfloc, gelatin, all the stuff you'd use in a clear beer. Just because its hazy, it isn't an excuse for leaving yeast and unneeded proteins in suspension. Plus (at least gelatin) this stuff will help with hop burn.

On whirlfloc, I think those proteins are leaving the beer no matter what you do, I'd just rather them drop out in the kettle than in the FV.

Last edited:
I see that aromazyme is now available to homebrewers. Anybody try it yet?

It was available on amazon not that long ago, i think it was like 65 bucks for 100g? rate is 5grams/hectaliter, which i think works out to just about 1g per 5gal batch

Lallemand New England is supposedly LA3

No it's not, it's Conan. Well, technically, it originates in a single cell from a mix of two beers both brewed with Conan variants, conveniently obfuscating things from a legal perspective.

Verdant is derived from LA3.

No it's not, it's Conan. Well, technically, it originates in a single cell from a mix of two beers both brewed with Conan variants, conveniently obfuscating things from a legal perspective.

Verdant is derived from LA3.
Ah yeah that’s right. Just knew there was another dry strain out there that wasn’t mentioned. Haven’t personally used it due to that horrendous cell count.

I’ve used a bunch of dry verdant and been totally happy with it. I’m gonna try out blending a pack of Verdant with a pack of Lallemond NE as I’ve heard this is what some brewery’s use for their house yeast.

Out of topic but saw Mangrove M66 HopHead Ale Yeast at the homebrewshop fridge... Googled it but not much information about this yeast. Is it a dry LA3 like verdant or Dry conan like lallemand NE? I bought a packet just for fun.

perhaps a ripoff of Omega Hothead? no, the ferm temps don't match, sorry

Out of topic but saw Mangrove M66 HopHead Ale Yeast at the homebrewshop fridge... Googled it but not much information about this yeast. Is it a dry LA3 like verdant or Dry conan like lallemand NE? I bought a packet just for fun.

I tried it. Got a fantastic beer. But it is not suitable for a NEIPA. I will recommend it for Pale Ale and West Coast. I didn't noticed any effect from the enzymes.

Has anyone had any negative experiences with excessive purging of CO2? I don't know if anyone is familiar with Floodland Brewing out of Seattle, they make mixed culture beers, but their email had an interesting point on CO2 as it pertains to honey aromatics:

Any time you heat raw honey above hive temperatures you are going to volatilize aromatics and change/denature the character of the honey. Fermentation itself produces co2 which will also scrub aromatics on top of that, so my question became how to incorporate honey into a beer to avoid or minimize these situations.

I believe that anytime I open a keg to add an extra dry hop, it inevitably takes away the intensity of aroma while adding flavor. I'll purge that keg 10+ times after that dry hop.
In lieu of that, one could argue that pressurized fermentation may retain more aroma than using an airlock where these volatile compounds would escape.

I tried it. Got a fantastic beer. But it is not suitable for a NEIPA. I will recommend it for Pale Ale and West Coast. I didn't noticed any effect from the enzymes.

Thanks for your feedback, got seduced by the description of the packet with NE

Last edited:
New yeast alert yall looks like promising

Yeah, it's a really cool yeast. I did a little tasting with the founder of Omega and it's basically a LA3 that's even more fruity. In a blonde ale that my club brewed (not much hops added) I got a pretty crazy Sauvignon Blanc/Nelson Sauvin grape note. In a NEIPA, it definitely turned the hops up to 10 and I got more passionfruit/grape juice and less musk.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a really cool yeast. I did a little tasting with the founder of Omega and it's basically a LA3 that's even more fruity. In a blonde ale that my club brewed (not much hops added) I got a pretty crazy Sauvignon Blanc/Nelson Sauvin grape note. In a NEIPA, it definitely turned the hops up to 10 and I got more passionfruit/grape juice and less musk.

Man after reading your review I want it even more

Back