New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wondering what everyone thinks of this recipe I am planning to brew next weekend and was curious if anyone had any advice before I order ingredients. I plan on fermenting with 1318. Large preboil size because we lose about 2 gal/hr during the boil and then maybe another gallon from the chiller/hops let in the boil kettle. My guess is we will lose another 2 gallons from the hops in our conical. I'm still working on getting used to BeerSmith. Thanks!

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 15.00 gal
Boil Size: 18.65 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 16.15 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 14.00 gal

32 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 77.0 %
6 lbs 3.6 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 15.0 %
2 lbs 1.2 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 5.0 %
13.3 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.0 %
6.6 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.0 %
2.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 33.9 IBUs
3.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 8 11.8 IBUs
3.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 9 10.3 IBUs
3.00 oz Vic Secret [15.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 10 13.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Vic Secret [15.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Vic Secret [15.50 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.071 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.2 %
Bitterness: 69.0 IBUs
Est Color: 4.5 SRM

Sorry if you have already mentioned this, but do you reuse your yeast or do fresh yeast each time?

Just spit ballin

I harvest by making a large starter and splitting that in two. One for the beer, one for more generations and so on.

My first batch of 1318 that went bad was like a 7th or 8th generation. I originally thought I may have mutated the yeast over so many generations when that batch went bad. This last batch was a fresh batch of 1318 that had only been split once. Same issues/off flavors as the prior fermentation in the same vessel, just not as pronounced. There has got to be a bug in the Speidel, most likely in the spigot, that's causing the problem.

In case anyone is interested - this is the blonde ale I make:
OG = 1.042

45% 2 row
45% golden promise
2.5% each of Wheat, honey malt, cara 20 and flaked barley

Hops = 1oz. of liberty at 30 minutes, 1 oz. liberty at 5 minutes

PH = 5.35

Ca = 65
Sulfate = 75
Chloride = 65

I go 75% RO, 25 % Hard tap water. Lactic acid to hit 5.35-5.40

Mash = 152

** Something like Centennial Blonde recipe would be a great one too probably.

Just looking for a light, easy drinking beer that takes no dry hop and makes a nice pile of clean yeast for harvesting. People drink the hell out of this beer though - I can never keep it on tap. I like it myself, wife likes it and guests tend to demolish it.

Finally got around to trying this Blonde Ale. Went from 1.041 down to 1.012 (not considering any starter dilution of the OG) Is that a normal level of attenuation for Conan for first generation? I used the Omega Labs Conan strain with a 1L starter pitched around 16-18 hrs.

There is something unique about the aroma of it and flavor though. it must be the honey malt. it has this crisp, minerally, malty aroma that is very nice. I guess part of it is that i added 0.5/oz gallon of Hallertau Mitt. in the whirlpool to give a nice round noble hop flavor. Anyway, it's a great recipe. I wish I had a beer gas setup so I could serve it on that. It is a great "american bitter" type of beer. I have been microwaving it some and degasing with a syringe to make it more like a bitter.

I saved 5 pint jars of yeast, about 50-60 mL of slurry in each.

What is the magical fermentation profile for Conan to achieve as close to the Alchemist as possible? I pitched my latest IPA using the repitched slurry at 64F (probe on side of carboy) and have had it there for about 24 hours now. Do I hold it there for 2-3 days and then slowly ramp or what?

I harvest by making a large starter and splitting that in two. One for the beer, one for more generations and so on.

My first batch of 1318 that went bad was like a 7th or 8th generation. I originally thought I may have mutated the yeast over so many generations when that batch went bad. This last batch was a fresh batch of 1318 that had only been split once. Same issues/off flavors as the prior fermentation in the same vessel, just not as pronounced. There has got to be a bug in the Speidel, most likely in the spigot, that's causing the problem.

Hmmm, probably the spigot then.

Have you dismantled the spigot to clean it? Like the bottling bucket spigots, it does come apart with some force.

I had my Speidel that I use as a cask get an infection, but leaving bleach solution in it for a week fixed it.

Have you dismantled the spigot to clean it? Like the bottling bucket spigots, it does come apart with some force.

I had my Speidel that I use as a cask get an infection, but leaving bleach solution in it for a week fixed it.

I haven't, but will. Brau mentioned that and it's most likely the root of my problem.

Wondering what everyone thinks of this recipe I am planning to brew next weekend and was curious if anyone had any advice before I order ingredients. I plan on fermenting with 1318. Large preboil size because we lose about 2 gal/hr during the boil and then maybe another gallon from the chiller/hops let in the boil kettle. My guess is we will lose another 2 gallons from the hops in our conical. I'm still working on getting used to BeerSmith. Thanks!

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 15.00 gal
Boil Size: 18.65 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 16.15 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 14.00 gal

32 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 77.0 %
6 lbs 3.6 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 15.0 %
2 lbs 1.2 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 5.0 %
13.3 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.0 %
6.6 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.0 %
2.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 33.9 IBUs
3.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 8 11.8 IBUs
3.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 9 10.3 IBUs
3.00 oz Vic Secret [15.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 10 13.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Vic Secret [15.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Vic Secret [15.50 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.071 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.2 %
Bitterness: 69.0 IBUs
Est Color: 4.5 SRM

If it were me - I'd swap the Oat and White Wheat amounts. I'd also aim to get my IBU's around 35-40 for this style.

White Labs has added a new yeast called WLP066 London Fog Ale to The Vault for the New England craze:

This strain is a great choice for New England-style IPAs. It produces a medium-ester profile similar to WLP008 East Coast Ale Yeast and leaves some residual sweetness, which helps accentuate both malt and hop flavors and aromas.

Can't wait to try it!.

So let me get this straight - you are theorizing that you get less burn (due to less suspended hops) if you dry hop *later*? And how long do you leave the dry hops in - say if you hop at day 10?

I ended up putting gelatin in 2 of 3 kegs. It took a week and a few pours but those 2, while still hazy but noticeably more clear, are drinking much better now :mug:

Looking back over my recipes, I have been creeping my mash temp up and this last one was pretty high; 157F and had an FG of 1.019. At this point, I wonder if maybe it's just the viscosity keeping stuff in suspension.

From left to right, you can see the difference in the first two which had the gelatin added (OYL-057 and 1318 respectively). The last keg got S04 and no gelatin added. It is still drinking pretty harsh. They all appear slightly darker but that is just due to the lighting.

IMG_4630.JPG

IMG_4687.jpg

I ended up putting gelatin in 2 of 3 kegs. It took a week and a few pours but those 2, while still hazy but noticeably more clear, are drinking much better now :mug:

Looking back over my recipes, I have been creeping my mash temp up and this last one was pretty high; 157F and had an FG of 1.019. At this point, I wonder if maybe it's just the viscosity keeping stuff in suspension.

From left to right, you can see the difference in the first two which had the gelatin added (OYL-057 and 1318 respectively). The last keg got S04 and no gelatin added. It is still drinking pretty harsh. They all appear slightly darker but that is just due to the lighting.

See now I really enjoy this style and I've made afew.
But there's a clear difference between haze and murk.
These pictures epitomise that. Personally I much prefer the clearer ones, while they still keep a somewhat hazy appearance.

See now I really enjoy this style and I've made afew.
But there's a clear difference between haze and murk.
These pictures epitomise that. Personally I much prefer the clearer ones, while they still keep a somewhat hazy appearance.

This is only the 3rd one I have done but at this point, I would have to agree. The murky ones seem to have something in suspension that is a bit off. I may start adding gelatin to the serving keg each time to help that stuff drop out.

The spigot on mine is a bit different than the one you have pictured. This is the one I have.

2807-Speidel-Fermenter-OEM-Spigot-Components.jpg

To answer your question, no I haven't. I tried to take it apart the first time I used it many, many brews ago without success. I kind of took that to mean it wasn't designed to come apart and never tried again. I'm definitely going to give it another go until it comes apart.

The orange tap part comes out reasonably easily from the white/translucent part by simply pushing up from the base (where the liquid comes out), whilst twisting the handle backwards and forwards at the same time. Getting the white/translucent part away from the orange screw on part (which isn't actually necessary) is another matter!

Take a look at Norcal Brewing Solutions for their Speidel fermenter accessories. You can replace the plastic tap with a dip tube with a threaded portion which allows you to add a ss tap. You can have the same thing with a thermowell, or put the thermowell on top. Lots of options - not cheap, but potentially worth exploring.

Yes - as you know I had the same result with gelatin - more clear but still hazy, MUCH more clear taste, yet still all the hop flavor/aroma.

When I fined with gelatin, I had a split batch. I fined 1/2, and left the second half in my basement for an additional week. While not *as* clean tasting, it also tastes pretty good - way cleaner than the first 1/2 before I fined it. Unfortunately, I did NOT taste half B before letting it sit for a week, so I don't know that it ever did taste as harsh - not very scientific. But I believe what ever comes out with gelatin would also come out with time and coldness.

Regarding your mash temp - it's a reasonable theory. What did you used to mash at? I would be surprised if the viscosity of the beer is THAT much different between mash temps of 157 and 152. I have definitely been all over from between 150 and 156. I'l review my notes on this parameter.

Yes - as you know I had the same result with gelatin - more clear but still hazy, MUCH more clear taste, yet still all the hop flavor/aroma.

When I fined with gelatin, I had a split batch. I fined 1/2, and left the second half in my basement for an additional week. While not *as* clean tasting, it also tastes pretty good - way cleaner than the first 1/2 before I fined it. Unfortunately, I did NOT taste half B before letting it sit for a week, so I don't know that it ever did taste as harsh - not very scientific. But I believe what ever comes out with gelatin would also come out with time and coldness.

Regarding your mash temp - it's a reasonable theory. What did you used to mash at? I would be surprised if the viscosity of the beer is THAT much different between mash temps of 157 and 152. I have definitely been all over from between 150 and 156. I'l review my notes on this parameter.

I imagine it would clean up with time and temperature but at this point, the keg that is still harsh has been on the tap for 3 weeks. I went ahead and added gelatin to that one last night. If there is a relationship between mash temp and conditioning time, it would be reasonable to think it would clean up sooner on its own when mashed at a lower temp. If that's the case, gelatin is definitely a great solution for the higher mash temps. We're trying to drink these things young so if you have to wait 2 months for everything to drop out, you may not get to drink it until it's already past its prime.

I agree with you; I didn't lose any aroma/flavor at all. It just ended up being a much cleaner tasting/more enjoyable beer post-gelatin.

The previous 2 batches were mashed at 153 so there is a pretty good spread there.

The orange tap part comes out reasonably easily from the white/translucent part by simply pushing up from the base (where the liquid comes out), whilst twisting the handle backwards and forwards at the same time. Getting the white/translucent part away from the orange screw on part (which isn't actually necessary) is another matter!

Take a look at Norcal Brewing Solutions for their Speidel fermenter accessories. You can replace the plastic tap with a dip tube with a threaded portion which allows you to add a ss tap. You can have the same thing with a thermowell, or put the thermowell on top. Lots of options - not cheap, but potentially worth exploring.

Thanks. I've been eyeing the Norcal Speidel accessories for a while, but I'm saving for a Spike CF10, so I'm trying not to dump any more money in to my current fermenter.

Thanks. I've been eyeing the Norcal Speidel accessories for a while, but I'm saving for a Spike CF10, so I'm trying not to dump any more money in to my current fermenter.

I don't blame you. They look really nice. Save up a little bit more though, as the amount of tri clamp fittings that you need/want after purchasing the conical came as a bit of a surprise to me!

did u try triangle tests with the fined and unfined? I did the same experiment and failed the triangle test each time.

i seriously doubt you'd ever tell the difference between 157 and 152 with a triangle test

did u try triangle tests with the fined and unfined? I did the same experiment and failed the triangle test each time.

No - but they were pretty easy to tell the difference. The unfined had just a slight burn in the after taste. The fined was very clean.

As a side note - I kicked and cleaned the keg today of the unfined batch. The glass I was pouring when the keg kicked, like usual, was all murky and cloudy from the crap on the bottom of the keg. I tasted it - HUGE burning flavor. Does this mean it's yeast that has this taste? I could not see hop bits floating around. I *suppose* it could be microscopic hop particles. Is that a thing?

When I opened the keg and cleaned it, it had a bunch of goop on the bottom - creamy beige stuff I usually think of as yeast.

I was all set to blame the burn taste on suspended hops, given they can have a harsh taste. But now I am back to blaming suspended yeast.

I imagine it would clean up with time and temperature but at this point, the keg that is still harsh has been on the tap for 3 weeks.

You know, I wonder if what's happening is that the yeast/hops *do* drop out, but they drop to the bottom of your keg. And since there is so much, they get sucked up into the pickup tube at the bottom when you pour from the keg?

Just thinking out loud.

You know, I wonder if what's happening is that the yeast/hops *do* drop out, but they drop to the bottom of your keg. And since there is so much, they get sucked up into the pickup tube at the bottom when you pour from the keg?

Just thinking out loud.

But wouldn't that mean that it would clear up after a few pours? I poured quite a few pints from each of the 3 kegs over the course of 2 weeks before I decided to add gelatin to 2 of them. I refrained from adding it to the 3rd keg for the sake of comparison. It took a few more pours and another week before the 2 with gelatin cleaned up. The 3rd non-gelatin one remained a bit harsh/murky. I put gelatin on that one a few nights ago so hopefully within a few days and a couple pours, that one will be better too.

I actually didn't even put these ones on tap until 17 days after brew day. Normally I would tap them sooner but I want to bottle a few for a local comp so I had to be sure gravity was stable.

I've decided to use some of the techniques from this thread, while deviating from the NEIPA style. Today I'm brewing a more traditional pale ale hop bill, using homegrown cascade, but using a NEIPA style grain bill and hop schedule, and 1318 yeast. This is very much an experiment to try to understand the grain, yeast and hop schedule vs hop types and to see what happens.

Target OG: 1.050
IBU: 38
5.75.gal into fermenter

Grain Bill:
10 lb Rahr Pale Ale
1 lb Flaked Oats
4 oz Honey Malt

Mash at 152F for 60 mins

Hops Schedule:
60 min - 2.5 ml Hopshot
Whirlpool 20 mins - 2 oz homegrown Cascade, picked 14 days ago, dried 7 days

1318 starting at 66F, rising to 72F after 3 days.
Dry hop with 2 oz homegrown Cascade 12-18 hours after fermentation takes off.

Maybe dry hop in keg depending on samples at kegging time.

IMG_20170922_164456.jpg

This is my 4th Vermont Ale generation using this recipe and I don't know what went wrong but it's already getting clear 1 week after kegging. The only thing I changed in the grainbill was using all 2row (for main grain). 1.060 to 1.013. My last 3 batches never cleared until the keg was kicked.

BUT the beer is so good! One of the best I made. Full of flavor and aroma, so tasty. The 4th generation of the Vermont Ale is really shining. I understand now what John Kimmich said about Vermont Ale getting better and better after 3-4 generations.

Kegged this version with 1318 this morning. Will post result in 1 week.

Result from 1318 batch.
IMG_20170930_160843.jpg

Totally different taste and aroma from 1318. Very juicy but not the look I was looking for. You don't get the peachy/fruity aroma from Conan. It's more like neutral? It finished at 1.009 and was aiming for 1.013. I dry hoped at day 2 of fermentation and it's becoming clearer and clearer each day. 6oz dry hop, 6gal in fermenter. (3oz+3oz)

This batch used us2row and Maris Otter following exact % of grain bill from Brau's. In my next batch I'm gonna use all Pilsner, 20% white wheat, 30% flaked oats with WLP644.

Very happy with the result from 1318.

You would think.

Question - what temperature is your keg kept at? Is it right down to 33f?

It is set to 35F.

The 3rd keg ended up clearing up nicely after gelatin was added. Everyone who has sampled them is partial to the one fermented with OYL-057. There is a wonderful fruity aroma with that strain. I'm not quite sure how to describe it but I used OYL-057 on the last 2 batches and I thought the aroma was coming from the hops. Now that I Have a batch split 3 ways with different strains (1318 & S04 being the other 2), I can tell that the aroma is coming from the yeast and it is very complementary to the style.

Just an update. Kegged last night. Amazing. Perfect orange color, no bitterness, tasted like juice.

Had all sorts of issues kegging though. Used a pressurized purged keg. The disconnects clogged, remove their guts, worked for a while and stopped. Ended up just poping the top and putting the hose in the keg. Then thought about all the junk in the keg, so I used my autosiphon inside my 300 micron hop tube and transfered to another keg. Just hope I did not ruin with all the splashing and transferring.

To prevent it in the future, thinking about getting on of these.

http://arborfab.com/12-Inline-Sanitary-Filter_p_114.html

Anybody else use an inline filter?

Finally got around to trying an inline filter when transferring. Went with the brewers hardware filter. Results where awesome.

Details here.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=636379

Timmy - did you use the same hop blends on these three brews? If so what was the impact of the yeast on the flavor / aroma profiles? I am considering brewing a batch with oyl-057 and am curious how it rates vs some of the standard yeasts for NEIPA.

milldoggy - this is the batch you made with Kolsch yeast? How does it compare with using an English yeast like 1318, etc? What hops did you use?

Not the klosch batch. The klosch yeast was excellent and would highly recommend it. Can't describe the difference, but imagine some of those fruity Kölsch flavors with juicy hops.

This batch was suregorks F1 Conan/644 hybrid. All citra and equinox hops.

Any thoughts on this beer with Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy/Simcoe or Citra/Mosaic/Centennial?

Done both, and both are great.

I went 3:1:1:1 on Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy/Simcoe when I did it.

Went 3:2:1 on Citra/Mosaic/Centennial when I did that. I would think 3:1.5:1.5 would be good too. I think Centennial can get a little "dry" so, I tend to not go overboard on it in a beer like this.

Any thoughts on this beer with Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy/Simcoe or Citra/Mosaic/Centennial?

I did Galaxy Mosaic Simcoe and it was great. You can feel that the Citra is missing and that was what I wanted to test in this version. Very fruity,citrus with a touch of pine/earthy. If you like Simcoe like I do, it's a must.

I have gotten in a groove using a G/M/C hop combo in my NE IPAs. I have a couple of lbs of Amarillo hops I'd like to use along the way. Does anyone see how I can work Amarillo into my hop bill?

Timmy - did you use the same hop blends on these three brews? If so what was the impact of the yeast on the flavor / aroma profiles? I am considering brewing a batch with oyl-057 and am curious how it rates vs some of the standard yeasts for NEIPA.

It was a single batch split 3 ways. The kegs with OYL-057 and 1318 were both dry hopped with Citra & Mosaic which are also the only two hops used during the boil/whirlpool aside from a 1oz Apollo FWH. The 5G fermented with S04 was dry hopped with Amarillo. I have been using 057 quite a bit. A little over a month or so ago I posted results where I fermented 5G at 90F and another 5G at 67F, both with 057. To me, there was no perceivable difference in flavor with that temp spread. That batch also had Galaxy and Amarillo and I thought maybe the wonderful aroma I was getting was from the Galaxy. However, now that I have done a batch without the Galaxy and split 3 ways with different yeasts, I realize that the very distinct and wonderful aroma is indeed coming from the yeast. I have had 4 other people try these beers. Their second favorite varied; some liked the 04, some liked the 1318 but everyone votes for the 057 batch as their hands-down favorite, myself included.

I have gotten in a groove using a G/M/C hop combo in my NE IPAs. I have a couple of lbs of Amarillo hops I'd like to use along the way. Does anyone see how I can work Amarillo into my hop bill?

I’ve been unable to source galaxy, so I’ve been using Amarillo in its place. It works great!

I've used Citra in two of mine and was not happy with either. I'm not sure if I'm just not a Citra guy, or if I may have a bad batch of Citra. They smell and look fine, so I'm thinking the former. My best batch to date was Columbus, galaxy, Simcoe, Amarillo. Not sure on the ratios, I'd have to check. Second best (which my girlfriend likes better) is Columbus, galaxy, mosaic, and I believe some Amarillo. Once again, not sure the ratio or if there was even Amarillo in it. Both were S04 which, to me, has been the best yeast I've used so far.

I've used Citra in two of mine and was not happy with either. I'm not sure if I'm just not a Citra guy, or if I may have a bad batch of Citra. They smell and look fine, so I'm thinking the former. My best batch to date was Columbus, galaxy, Simcoe, Amarillo. Not sure on the ratios, I'd have to check. Second best (which my girlfriend likes better) is Columbus, galaxy, mosaic, and I believe some Amarillo. Once again, not sure the ratio or if there was even Amarillo in it. Both were S04 which, to me, has been the best yeast I've used so far.

Are you using Columbus at 60 (only) for your bittering addition?

This is making me think I'd probably skip the Citra on this next brew and try Galaxy, Mosaic and Amarillo instead of Citra. What do you think?

Back