Normal or infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straykiller

Reaction score
Hello I just brewed a blond ale about two weeks ago and curious if this looks normal. This is only my second batch and I have never used this yeast before(wlp029). The beer doesn't smell bad and didn't taste bad when I took a sample 5 days ago. The white spots are what worry me but up close they almost look like it could just be really fine co2 bubbles. I would like a second opinion if anyone can help, thanks.

https://imgur.com/gallery/GLuRp

Looks like C02 bubbles to me. I had a very similar experience not too long ago. See picture. I think you're fine.

20170903_192505.jpg

Unless you are really sloppy with sanitation a beer in primary is almost never infected. The things that can infect a beer are naturally deterred by the combination of acidity, CO2, the hops, and the amount of yeast that usually overpower any other infectious agent.

It looks like yeast and gunk. Every once in a while I get that. The first couple of times I got it, I assumed it was infected, and threw it away. Now I know it's normal.

Thanks guys, looks like you were right. I've cold crashed and everything looks good it going in the keg today for lagering.

Back