Noob starter activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewJr

Reaction score
Happy Friday all! brewing my first batch in 5 years later today and I have question about my starter. I got it all on the stir plate last night around 6pm and I noticed a little activity about 2-3 hours later, couple of big bubbles and what not and some tiny surface bubbles.. I've read that you don't get a whole lot of activity when doing a starter so I'm just trying to put my mind at ease.. This sound about right? it will go about 24 hours on the plate when all said and done. use 1/2 cup DME to 2 cups of water and pitched WPL060..

You are good. I don't usually see any real activity until 12 to 24hrs later. I usually let my starters go for 2-3 days.

Just my opinion but I think you need to make the starter bigger. Probably not going to get a ton of growth out of a 500ml starter. Again, just my opinion. However, I dont think your method is incorrect.

check out: http://www.yeastcalculator.com/

According to the site you'll net about a .68 growth factor. At the same time a 1L starter would net you 1.31 in terms of growth factor.

And I always get good activity out a starter within 4 or 5 hours.. you should see alot of "bubbles" on the side of ther flask just like the primary fermentation.

cool, I mainly wanted to get a feel for the process.. the guys at my LHBS were on the fence about making a starter for the batch I'm doing but said it couldn't hurt to get the feel for it..

Back