Noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4arrows

Reaction score
Howdy there all, I am very new to home brewing, but very excited to get started. I am sure like many of you, I am looking for ways to cut costs, especially the initial startup costs. I have a large stock pot that I use for cooking... well... stock, it is a 10qt. Wondering if that is large enough to start with for 5 gallon extract brews. It seems that it may be too small, and would give me very little room for boil over error. Any advice?

4>---->

ten quart is 2.5 gallons. even for extract brews that's too small.

I think my 5 gallon pot cost about $45 new. take a look at second hand stores near you to see what's available.

If you're buying kits, one cheap 5 gallon kit will run you over $30 delivered. You do need to spend a few bucks to enter the game.

I did a 6 gallon partial extract (50/50) using a 6 qt crockpot for a mash and adding a kg of LME in a 2G pot for the boil..

I say go for it. Just top off the water in the fermentor with some gallon jugs of distilled water chilled in the fridge after a healthy hopstand to account for your lower utilization from the concentrated boil. This will also mean you don't have to worry about chilling and/or waiting for pitching temps.

Check Walmart for their bigger pots. I got one there for the stove top fairly cheap. It was aluminum, which is fine you just need to boil water in it for about an hour to get some oxidation going and don't scrub it too hard when you are done using it. I just give it a hot water spray out and a sponge wipe down.

Howdy there all, I am very new to home brewing, but very excited to get started. I am sure like many of you, I am looking for ways to cut costs, especially the initial startup costs. I have a large stock pot that I use for cooking... well... stock, it is a 10qt. Wondering if that is large enough to start with for 5 gallon extract brews. It seems that it may be too small, and would give me very little room for boil over error. Any advice?

4>---->

Too small. Go to Amazon and look for a turkey fryer. I can do 5 gallon BIAB in it.......

I have this one. 30 QT

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-3025-30-Quart-Accessories/dp/B00062VZMY

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always do a 2.5 or 3 gallon batch in the meantime. It's what many people started out with on the Mr. Beer kits including myself. I had a 2 gallon pot and could make 2.5 gallons of beer which comes out to about a case.

Good Luck!!!

10-qt pots are big enough for 2.5 gallon extract & partial grain recipes - I know, as that is what I currently use.

;)

I still use the same 20qt, 5 gallon stainless steel stock pot I started with doing extracts when I moved on to pb/pm biab. Good for 5 gallon kits/recipes, as it allows for up to 3 1/2 gallon boils. Having said that, I used a SS dutch oven for pre-hopped Cooper's kits for my first batch. Maybe 1 1/2 gallons. Then I found a set of SS, nested stock pots with lids & steamer trays at the grocery store for some $28 a few years ago. Look around your area for such deals. The 4 nested stock pots come in handy for different size mashes these days, as I saved the 5 gallon kettle for boils. The other pots also come in handy for dunk ( read batch) sparges.

If you're looking to drink on the cheap then this probably isn't the hobby for you, unless you're really stingy with your beer, make very few errors that force you to dump any batches, and are extremely patient to get all your equipment second-hand and on the cheap).

However, if you're still willing to get in, then this is my advice:

Buy each thing you need once and only once. In other words, buy the right type and size of equipment that you will still suit you 5-10+ years down the road. That's really hard to do though, because starting out you'll have little clear idea how far this hobby will take you.

I went with a 15 gallons SS kettle, a Blichmann burner, built my own 10 gallon mash tun, built a 50' 1/2" wort chiller, and over the past couple of years have bought various gizmos and contraptions, some of which I use all the time, others that I don't at all. If I could go back with the knowledge I have now, I'd probably save 1/4 of my cost or more. I *wish* I had have gone with a 20-25 gallon kettle in order to comfortably brew 10 gallon batches.

So, to figure out what you will likely be happy with down the road, I'd do this:

1) Figure out how big you want your batches to ultimately be:
a) Go into the 1-gallon brewers forum and ask them why they brew 1 gallon batches, how much beer it gives them,
how much they drink, how much time it takes them, and if they're happy at that size and with those methods.
b) Ask people who brew 5 gallon batches with top-up water the same questions.
c) Ask people that brew 5 gallon full batches the same questions.
d) Ask people that brew 10+ gallon batches the same questions.

Compare all the answers and decide what's right for you, trying to envisage down the road. For me, I brew 5 gallon, full boil, all-grain batches in a 15 gallon kettle. Ideally, I wish I had bought a 20-25 gallon kettle to comfortably brew 10-gallon batches. That would have saved me $200+.

2) Talk to people about stove top vs out-door brewing with a propane burner and compare their level of happiness with what they are doing and why they are doing with what they'd 'ideally' like to have or be doing. I brew outside with a Blichmann burner. I'm over the moon about that choice, but it wasn't cheap. Had I gone cheaper I probably would have eventually 'upgraded', costing me money.

3) Talk to people about temperature control. How do they do it and are they happy? I live in Toronto and I have a basement. This allows me to ferment in there about 9 months of the year without any additional gizmos (ferm chamber or swamp cooler).

4) Talk to people about chilling their wort. How much wort are they chilling, what's their method and are they happy? As I stated above, I made my own 50', 1/2" OD wort chiller and I'm perfectly happy (although it's an ugly S.O.B.). I saved money making my own, but could have bought a ready-made smaller one for cheaper.

5) Talk to people about crushing grains, mash-tuns vs BIAB, etc. Mills are yet another thing that aren't cheap, nor are they necessary if you're brewing extract or your LHBS can do it for you… but if you go all-grain and want to buy grains in bulk you probably don't want your grains stored crushed for overly long periods of time.

6) A whole bunch of other questions for each step of the way… bottling vs kegging, stir plates vs re-hydrating dry yeast, etc.

Short of hooking up with a local brew club and seeing various different peoples' processes and equipment in action (which would be super-ideal), you're doing the right thing by coming on here and asking tons of questions about equipment before jumping in. You'll save yourself money and more likely get a set-up that suits your purposes really well. Don't worry about sounding stupid or being bothersome. I'm on a few different internet forums and this is by far the friendliest of them all.

As you can see, there are different philosophies on how to get into brewing. If you search you'll find several threads on bare bones brewing setups.

I started cheap, with an equipment kit that probably ran $100 or so. For that I got a primary fermenter, glass carboy, racking cane thermometer, hydrometer, 6-gallong pot, and various odds & ends.

That served me well for a few years and many batches, I've just recently moved up to a Brew-Boss all in one setup. the only part of my original equipment that I won't use with the new system is the 6-gal pot.

Happy Brewing,

Very good info and feed back from all of y'all especially Andy. Good idea to look at longer term goals then just getting the first batch in the bottle. I am very glad I found this forum, exactly the help I was looking for.

4>---->

Back