Noob Question, Green taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my second attempt, in a 2.5g MrB, I used a whole can of Muntons Old Ale extract (3lb 5 oz), 1/2c brown sugar, 1/3c honey, boils 1/2 oz cascade hops for 55 min, the added 1/2oz for last five. Used dry yeast that came with kit. I didn't have a hydrometer at that time but 2 1/2 weeks latter it read 1.022 and tasted sweet, not sickly sweet, but sweet, and a little strange, not bad but strange. It does have a little aftertaste of brown suger and honey.

Did i try to do too much on my second batch?:confused:

Is that what you guys call green taste?

Any idea what my S.G. should have been (about)?

Think i should bottle now?

that can be green taste, yes. 1.022 is normal for a kit. it'll lose that taste after a couple more weeks in the bottle

If it was a kit it should list the og and fg. Its high alcohol? what temps did you ferment at? I rouse and warm mine slighly a week before botteling to ensure any more fermentation left. Extract and sugar should be pretty predictable.
Also, do you really get 25 bottles out of a mr. beer?

I would honestly let it ferment for another week or so. That might get the FG down a little bit more. When I think of a "green" taste, I usually associate that flavor after bottling and the beer has a yeasty flavor. I don't think you did too much for your second batch. Brown sugar and honey additions are pretty common and I don't think you won't overboard with those ingredients. I have never used Munton's extract, but it might contain more sugars than normal that may not ferment completely out, resulting in the sweet taste and the FG of 1.022. I would just give it a little more time to let the yeasties finish their thing.

thanks for the info guys, I did save the can label and it reads O.G. 1060-1064 and FG of 1018-1022, but won't the addition of suger, honey, and hops change the O.G.? or am I overthinking this again? It fermented at between 67-70 degrees. I haven't bottled 12 oz'er out of the MrB yet, but am planning to do it this time. Also how do you roust the yeasties? a little stir or shake?

thanks for the info guys, I did save the can label and it reads O.G. 1060-1064 and FG of 1018-1022, but won't the addition of suger, honey, and hops change the O.G.? or am I overthinking this again? It fermented at between 67-70 degrees. I haven't bottled 12 oz'er out of the MrB yet, but am planning to do it this time. Also how do you roust the yeasties? a little stir or shake?

Mine ferment at about 65 and the last week i pull them out and either wrapped a heating pad insulated with fleece next to my heater wich keeps it at around 70. I only run the heating pad on low for less than a half an hour.It or may not effect the gravity but i dont stick a hydro in it at all until i bottle after 3-4 weeks and if i dont like the reading ill not bottle it and let it sit.But most cases its done and beyond what i expected. I also have glass which helps visually see whats going on without opening it or taking a hydro.
Was adding the brown sugar and honey something you just threw in the kit? As far as i know the sugar and honey should almost be fully fermentable.Although the more complex sugars can take more time to ferment.

It was a copy of a receipe i found somewhere on this site. Of course it was for a five gallon batch so I halfed everything, and instead of using the can of Muntons and a can of UME i just used the whole can of Muntons. I'll re-test and try the beer again today, this time before i start drinking, and i'll re-post.

Back