Noob question about FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GalenSevinne

Reaction score
First brew attempt is an IPA with an OG of 50 and an expected FG of somewhere between 12 and 15. Its been 9 days now and I have been at 21 for a couple days now. So basically the alcohol content is 4% instead of 5%. I am planning on keeping it in the primary for up to three weeks but am bummed about the gravity not dropping to below 15.

Any suggestions? should I sit on it and let it be or maybe stir it up to oxygenate it again or throw in some more yeast? I used Nottingham.

Thanks.

Don't stir! You definitely don't want to oxygenate it now that it's nearly done.

Nottingham usually is pretty attenuative. Do you have some unfermentables in your beer, so that it won't go any lower? What was the recipe? Maybe we can pick something out.

What's the temperature of the beer?

Don't stir! You definitely don't want to oxygenate it now that it's nearly done.

Nottingham usually is pretty attenuative. Do you have some unfermentables in your beer, so that it won't go any lower? What was the recipe? Maybe we can pick something out.

What's the temperature of the beer?

It was a Brewers Best IPA kit: http://www.homebrewit.com/Brewers_Best_Instructions/1037_India_Pale_Ale.pdf

6.6 lbs. Plain Light Malt Extract
1 lb. Crushed Crystal Malt
8 oz. Crushed Victory
2 oz. Northern Brewer Hops (Bittering)
1 oz. Cascade Hops (Finishing)

The temp is at 69 degrees.

Back